Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The new social front line for Christian persecution and the

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Danus

People who judge others are no different than Dan Savage. Bullies. Hang on to your bible interpretations if it makes you happy. But don’t judge other believers or their interpretations just because they don’t come up to your own standards. How is your judgment of people like Dan savage going to be taken seriously if you judge everyone the same way? Peter and the Wolf. Are Christians really intended to be judges in this life, or are they supposed to be witnesses? Witnesses of their own judgments?

Consider those verses in their context. The whole idea is that if you want to judge, be ready to be judged. The Christian you judge a non-Christian is the one who’ll judge you a non-Christian in return. Of course, you’re free to make these verses of none affect by your judgments.

Christianity is full of denominations that judge each other to not be up to snuff. Catholics, Lutherans, Reformed and Presbyterians, many of the Baptist Churches, the Eastern Orthodox. Everyone else is not up to their standard and can’t take communion with them until they convert to their way of thinking. That’s judgment my friend. That’s what it leads to.

I’ve opposed the idea since I’ve been here. Only to be met with denominations have their place. Is that what Jesus is teaching Christians? Paul? If so, I don’t want any part of it. That’s not only stupid, it’s sin of the flesh according to Paul himself. Denominationalism is division. The ultimate expression of division. Where divisions not only judge each other they exclude each other, thinking they have some kind of God given authority to do so.

Dan Savage judged the bible to be BS. And judged the Christians who believe in the bible to be BS believers. Dan Savage is a bully, plain and simple. Do you really want to be like him? In the name of “We’re called to judge and judge rightly”? Is that the gospel you want to preach, “We judge rightly, follow us if you want eternal life”? Where’s the cross of Christ in that?

Jesus said that oneness among the believers will be a sign to the world that Jesus was truly sent by God. Do you agree with denominational Christianity, saying in effect he was wrong to say this? Go ahead and judge away.

But then, I’m not even a Christian. What do I know? I’m not near as wise as the Christians called to judge rightly. I speak as to an intelligent man. Judge for yourself what I say.

NC

Let me start by addressing Meatball a bit, then we can talk about judging.

To me a "bully" is someone who attempts to impose their will on to others, either by force, threat, or intimidation.

Some might say that God is a bully in this way by force, threat, or intimidation of hell. However, God makes it clear that to know him is to love him, not to be forced into that relationship by threat, or intimidation, and that just a forced relationship is false.

The overarching message from God is for man to get to know God and allow their to be a relationship which he has chosen by his providence. To some that is a choice they believe they make as well, but either way not forced.

What Dan Savage and others will ultimately do is force their will on others. They want laws to make it illegal to, as they say, discriminate against homosexuals. We are not far from any talk against such sexual behavior will be considered a "HATE" crime. They will force what you can and can not express to others publicly. There are already forces in this country (USA) would have considered how they might censor speech that is otherwise free at the moment, and that will ultimately be the path for Christianity.

Have Christian people done that in society in the past and used the bible to do it? Sure have, But savage does not just say that; he claims the bible has done that and he points out what he thinks he knows of that in relation to slavery and shellfish. He could have made a better point about Christian people and left God's word out of it, because he dose not really understand it. Beside, not all Christians "BULLIED" people misusing the bible, but Savages doing that does not make a very good point does it.

So judgment....let's look at what you have there.

I'm surprised at you FC. Your take on the verses about judgment is that "The Christian you judge a non-Christian is the one who’ll judge you a non-Christian in return."

The ultimate judge is God. Those verses are about three things. 1. Gods judgment. 2 judging hypocritically, and 3. judging rightly.

If I have not judge rightly then by all means call me out. If I have been hypocritical in my judgment then please correct me. Iron sharpens Iron my friend. That is the context of the verses you share about judging.

The word judgmental has become something of a negative connotation, but it's not necessarily, and God did not mean for it to be in the verses you mentioned. It is a thing to be respected and used rightly. If you think me wrong in my judgment as a Christian so far, know that I lay myself bare to be set right in the path of God, and to be weighed against his word. If not, then it should not matter that I am judging in this way, since everyone is judgmental, either in their own way or by a higher standard. The point of judging is HOW one judges others and by what standard they use, and if they also judge themselves with that standard, but the last part is between them and God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danus

I'm surprised at you FC. Your take on the verses about judgment is that "The Christian you judge a non-Christian is the one who’ll judge you a non-Christian in return."

The ultimate judge is God. Those verses are about three things. 1. Gods judgment. 2 judging hypocritically, and 3. judging rightly.

If I have not judge rightly then by all means call me out. If I have been hypocritical in my judgment then please correct me. Iron sharpens Iron my friend. That is the context of the verses you share about judging.

The word judgmental has become something of a negative connotation, but it's not necessarily, and God did not mean for it to be in the verses you mentioned. It is a thing to be respected and used rightly. If you think me wrong in my judgment as a Christian so far, know that I lay myself bare to be set right in the path of God, and to be weighed against his word. If not, then it should not matter that I am judging in this way, since everyone is judgmental, either in their own way or by a higher standard. The point of judging is HOW one judges others and by what standard they use, and if they also judge themselves with that standard, but the last part is between them and God..

Doesn’t really matter if you judge me not a Christian, in the sense of not a true believer, does it?

NC

Danus

Doesn’t really matter if you judge me not a Christian, in the sense of not a true believer, does it?

NC

I suspect you are a believer.
I've read many of your post and I'm not convinced that you do not love, or believe in the Lord. In my judgment :)

I understand your angst about the different denominations. I don't feel the same way, but I draw the line on orthodoxy. Still, I believe that regardless of what one calls themselves, the heart is what is ultimately judged by God. That is open to wide interpretation, but what is ultimate truth is Gods word, and it is the rejection of that in despise that condemns

Reba

Denomination are like back yard fences, they make for better neighbours.

I dont like the denominational fights. There are a few basic point of Christianity that can not be compromised and still be labled Christian... Pretty much what is laid out in the Statement of Faith here.... For me denominations are like shoes we dont all wear the same style or size.... Look at His creation we are different cultures Yet we are one in Him not one in our church but one in Him... Are you, am i, the same Christian we were 20 ,30, 40 years ago...

Is that what denominationalism is about to you? Your own likes and dislikes?

Is it really dependent on a statement of faith? Isn’t the bible enough of a statement of faith for you? Catholics stand on a statement of faith.

And I agree with a Catholic’s response to you.

Is this really the way Jesus designed His Church to be? Different groups of people believing different doctrines? This doesn't look like the Church I see in the Bible.

I really have to wonder how anyone can take seriously a Christian’s judgment that homosexuality is a sin, when they can’t even see the sin in their own backyard. Denominationalism is division, not merely fences. And division is a sin. I should think that would be clear to anyone who reads the bible. But it is interpreted away. Just like Dan Savage interpreted away what the bible says about homosexuality. That’s what the bible being BS really means. Interpreted away as meaningless.

Just in the natural sense, I’ll never be able to stand behind the gay agenda because I’m strictly butter side up. Biblically? If all the bible is good for is how it reads interpretively, I’ll stick to the natural sense.

NC

Danus

I suspect you are a believer.
I've read many of your post and I'm not convinced that you do not love, or believe in the Lord. In my judgment

In your judgment. That’s still the bottom line isn’t it? Judgments can change in a heartbeat. Just like any sentiment.

I understand your angst about the different denominations.

Not angst. Conviction. Denominationalism is a sin. Not good fences. Love your neighbor as yourself doesn’t create fences unless you don’t love yourself.

I don't feel the same way, but I draw the line on orthodoxy.

And you base orthodoxy on what? Oh yes, the bible, like any good Protestant.

what is ultimate truth is Gods word, and it is the rejection of that in despise that condemns

The bible or your judgment regarding the bible? Or do you base orthodoxy on a doctrinal standard, like Reba? A standard that says, for example, God is a Trinity. What if one doesn’t believe that God is a Trinity? What then? That isn’t considered orthodox by most Christian doctrinal standards. In spite of the fact that there are three Trinitarian views that correspond to the three major divisions in Christianity. And the original Trinitarian view isn’t the Protestant view.

Orthodoxy goes back to the idea of what is considered essential doctrine. There are essentials that are pretty much agreed upon, there are essentials that aren’t agreed upon at all. I used the example of Trinitarianism because it is universally considered the uber essential doctrine, whether one is for it or against it. And who gets to decide what is essential? Whose judgment determines what is essential? Leaders of denominations? Or are we free to determine our own essentials according to our own judgment?

What I believe the bible says is most assuredly not orthodox. Not by any of the Christian standards I’m aware of. My view on denominationalism is an obvious example in relation to Protestant standards. Not only do Protestant standards not include the matter of denomination in them, but every Protestant standard is a denominational standard.

My view that there’s a difference between the ekklesia that the bible describes and the Churches that express Christianity certainly isn’t orthodox. I could enumerate any number of personal understandings of the bible that would make you say that I’m not only not orthodox according to your own orthodox judgment, but not a believer. It really doesn’t take much revealing of what I believe in order for Christians to consider me a non-believer. As I’ve experienced only recently.

It should be obvious to you, if you’ve read my posts, that I already have no faith in Christianity. To me it’s just another man-made religion among many. It wouldn’t take much for me to lose faith in a bible that can only be understood by judgment that then authoritatively determines orthodoxy.

When one asks what is truth, a common reply in Evangelical Protestantism is not what, but who. Jesus is truth. But then these same people will add to that, that the bible is truth. But not the bible. Their judgments of the bible is truth. And that’s what orthodoxy is all about, right? Truth derived by judgment? Is Jesus really truth where the rubber meets the road? Is it really so impossible to actually express the idea that Jesus is truth in a practical way? Where what’s individually considered orthodox doctrine is a matter of personal growth, rather than a stipulation?

To tie this up with this thread, it’s like I said to Reba. Denominationalism is division and division is sin. If Christians can’t even judge rightly about the sin right in their own back yard, how can they be taken seriously when they try to judge the sin of someone not in their own back yard?

NC

Danus

In your judgment. That’s still the bottom line isn’t it? Judgments can change in a heartbeat. Just like any sentiment.

Not angst. Conviction. Denominationalism is a sin. Not good fences. Love your neighbor as yourself doesn’t create fences unless you don’t love yourself.

And you base orthodoxy on what? Oh yes, the bible, like any good Protestant.

The bible or your judgment regarding the bible? Or do you base orthodoxy on a doctrinal standard, like Reba? A standard that says, for example, God is a Trinity. What if one doesn’t believe that God is a Trinity? What then? That isn’t considered orthodox by most Christian doctrinal standards. In spite of the fact that there are three Trinitarian views that correspond to the three major divisions in Christianity. And the original Trinitarian view isn’t the Protestant view.

Orthodoxy goes back to the idea of what is considered essential doctrine. There are essentials that are pretty much agreed upon, there are essentials that aren’t agreed upon at all. I used the example of Trinitarianism because it is universally considered the uber essential doctrine, whether one is for it or against it. And who gets to decide what is essential? Whose judgment determines what is essential? Leaders of denominations? Or are we free to determine our own essentials according to our own judgment?

What I believe the bible says is most assuredly not orthodox. Not by any of the Christian standards I’m aware of. My view on denominationalism is an obvious example in relation to Protestant standards. Not only do Protestant standards not include the matter of denomination in them, but every Protestant standard is a denominational standard.

My view that there’s a difference between the ekklesia that the bible describes and the Churches that express Christianity certainly isn’t orthodox. I could enumerate any number of personal understandings of the bible that would make you say that I’m not only not orthodox according to your own orthodox judgment, but not a believer. It really doesn’t take much revealing of what I believe in order for Christians to consider me a non-believer. As I’ve experienced only recently.

It should be obvious to you, if you’ve read my posts, that I already have no faith in Christianity. To me it’s just another man-made religion among many. It wouldn’t take much for me to lose faith in a bible that can only be understood by judgment that then authoritatively determines orthodoxy.

When one asks what is truth, a common reply in Evangelical Protestantism is not what, but who. Jesus is truth. But then these same people will add to that, that the bible is truth. But not the bible. Their judgments of the bible is truth. And that’s what orthodoxy is all about, right? Truth derived by judgment? Is Jesus really truth where the rubber meets the road? Is it really so impossible to actually express the idea that Jesus is truth in a practical way? Where what’s individually considered orthodox doctrine is a matter of personal growth, rather than a stipulation?

To tie this up with this thread, it’s like I said to Reba. Denominationalism is division and division is sin. If Christians can’t even judge rightly about the sin right in their own back yard, how can they be taken seriously when they try to judge the sin of someone not in their own back yard?

NC

I don't know, some of your opinions on what the bible says, that I have read anyway, seem pretty sound. It's your general opinions about Christianity and denominations that I find too broad to pin down and not specific enough to digest in any real way to comment.

But, to answer some of your questions, I find God's word as written to be the gauge of orthodoxy. For me, there are aspects of God's word that are solidly understood and aspects of God's word that I hold in reserve or mystery, and I don't have a problem with that.

My judgment of the bible that I might use in my everyday life, raising my children, engaging others in any way prior to opening my mouth or taking any action in life, comes from what I solidly understand, the faith I have in that understanding God have graced me with, and my relationship with Him.

I have not held back on what I believe, why I believe, or how. I am a reformed protestant in the Christian faith. All men are sinners by nature, there are saved sinners who have turned from sin and to God, but they are not totally without sin, and there are willful sinners who embrace their own sin nature void of a relationship with God. That's pretty much where I divide the line of Christian/non-Christian.

If you want to talk about denominations or the Trinity, I'm cool with that, but if we do that here I'll have to sell you this thread you say I own.....$2.75 paid in cash to me and no checks.

Well, if Jesus is a bully to you, why on earth would you want to follow him?

I have not suggested Jesus is a bully. What I have done is demonstrate the hypocrisy pervading this thread.

While people engage in criticizing Savage they are loath to make the same moral judgement with regards Jesus.

But, please, try and answer my questions rather than making a personal attack on me.

My post
Denomination are like back yard fences, they make for better neighbours.
I dont like the denominational fights. There are a few basic point of Christianity that can not be compromised and still be labled Christian... Pretty much what is laid out in the Statement of Faith here.... For me denominations are like shoes we dont all wear the same style or size.... Look at His creation we are different cultures Yet we are one in Him not one in our church but one in Him... Are you, am i, the same Christian we were 20 ,30, 40 years ago...
FC post Is that what denominationalism is about to you? Your own likes and dislikes?

Is it really dependent on a statement of faith? Isn’t the bible enough of a statement of faith for you? Catholics stand on a statement of faith.

My reply In a war of words i will most defiantly loose. Judge me how you will, I stand by the heart of my post. As i said Christians are all one in Him..

Was Jesus speaking the truth when he said that he has only come for the Jews?

Was Jesus speaking the truth when he said that he prays not for this world?

Was Jesus speaking the truth when he said that his followers must leave home and family?

Was Jesus speaking the truth when he said we have to sell everything in order to follow him?

Which words of Jesus do you 'believe' are 'true'? And, have you followed Jesus at his word?

Truth is very illusive don't you think?

I have not suggested Jesus is a bully. What I have done is demonstrate the hypocrisy pervading this thread.

While people engage in criticizing Savage they are loath to make the same moral judgement with regards Jesus.

But, please, try and answer my questions rather than making a personal attack on me.

Truth is illusive to those searching for it. Your questions here, and your statement about the illusiveness of truth, is like me loosing my car keys, and my wife telling me I'll find them in the last place I look. No one keeps looking for what's been found.

All of the questions you've asked are subject matters for those wanting to know more about the bible. It still has nothing to do with Dan Savage, bullying, and comparing Jesus to it.

I've yet to hear your point about the "illusive" claims you've made in saying that Dan Savage is doing nothing more than what Jesus did.

Yes you have suggested that, and other things, but they are only suggestions. No meat of explanation.

This is asinine! Tell me you did not think this out before writing it. Surely you made a mistake with this statement? Read it again and let us know.

Danus

I don't know, some of your opinions on what the bible says, that I have read anyway, seem pretty sound.

Thank you.

It's your general opinions about Christianity and denominations that I find too broad to pin down and not specific enough to digest in any real way to comment.

Christianity is divided into denominations. A denomination is,

“a recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.†(Oxford Dictionary)

Consider John 17:17-23.

Jesus is the word (John 1) and the truth (John 14) being spoken of, not the bible. Sanctification is in Jesus (1 Cor 1:30). Note verse 21. Jesus’ prayer for unity. Unity like he has with the Father. And the reason? That the world might know that the Father sent the Son. And note back in verse 18. Those who are in Christ are sent by their Lord Jesus Christ into the world for this very purpose. To be a witness for the Son, whom the Father sent. Our primary reason to be here in relation to one another is our common worship of God and building each other up. Is division an expression of common worship and building?

Consider 1 Corinthians.

Paul makes a clear statement concerning division in the whole of this letter. Division is the same as following men. The actions of division are out of the flesh. That it ain’t supposed to be.

Paul does make the point in 11:17-19 that a purpose for division is to reveal the ones who are approved among them. But in verse 17 he clearly shows that the fact it is necessary in this Church, ain’t supposed to be. I know Christians who use these verses as an excuse for denominationalism and for Church hopping.

The Greek word translated “division†(NIV) in verse 18 is schisma. It means division in the sense of cutting in two.

Consider Galatians 5:19-20

The Greek word in verse 20 that’s translated “dissensions†(NIV) is dichostasia. It means division in the sense of standing as two. I was going to use 1 Cor 3:3, as it’s so obviously clear. But the use of the same word there is only in the byzantine compilation. I personally favor the Byzantine compilation (not in the sense of KJV Onlyism). But I don’t know how you feel about it.

Division is a work of the flesh, something out of the fallen human nature. The items mentioned by Paul in Galatians 5, are they sins? A sin is a missing of the mark. A transgression is a walking off the path. Division is both a sin and a transgression. For those who are New Testament Only Christians, one doesn’t need the Law to see the obvious. Division is a sin on the order of “sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition,†(NIV). If those things aren’t sin, then neither is division.

Is a denomination the same as a division? Yes and no. In 1 Corinthians, division is described as something within a single “churchâ€. A denomination is an autonomous division within Christianity that has its own organization, its own leadership, its own doctrinal standard, its own adherents. A denomination is a “church†in its own right. The divisions described by Paul were in no way autonomous. They were connected to a true “churchâ€. If a division is considered sin, a denomination is just more of the same, but in a different venue.

Denominations as autonomous branches of Christianity are divisions within Christianity. Ergo, Christianity is divided. Obviously so. So much so, that being thus divided is a characteristic of Christianity. The character of Christianity, in the sense of a major character trait, is denominational.

If the major character trait of Christianity, very visible character trait, is denonominationalism, then Christianity is human in nature. Human in that Christianity, as a collection of human adherents, is following the flesh, the fallen human nature, rather than the Spirit.

It is the human mind that chooses whether to walk by the flesh or by the Spirit. So rather than say that Christianity is a Satanic religion deep in apostasy (there is another thread wherein apostasy has been defined according to 1 Tim 4:1), I say that Christianity is a human religion, a man-made religion, in which the humans involved have chosen to walk by the flesh, rather than by the Spirit. Ergo, Christianity is a man-made (not Satan-made) religion. As such it’s only difference from other like religions, such as modern Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism; is in the term Christianity. A term of denotation for the religion as a whole. A term derived from a term used only three times in the bible.....Christian. But Christianity has one advantage over other man-made religions. The potential to choose as a religion to walk by the Spirit. Apart from Christ, that isn’t possible. The other religions can only hope to continue in their man-made status.

I won’t go into my view here on the three mentions of the term Christian in the New Testament. It is irrelevant.

To be clear.

I distinguish between the religion and individual adherents. Especially those who are in Christ. I believe those who are in Christ are inadvertently adhering to the religion, through deception. Those who are in Christ are being deceived into thinking that one autonomous branch or another, or a specific group of autonomous branches (like Evangelical Protestantism), of Christianity represents or follows Jesus Christ on the earth. Only Roman Catholicism overtly acknowledges such a relationship. Eastern Orthodoxy and Protestant denominations acknowledges the relationship only in their distinctions based on their doctrines. Together with its practice of closed communion, Roman Catholicism shows itself to be the uber expression of autonomous denominationalism. Not the expression of “the True Church†as it claims.

Good fences do make good neighbors. In the natural realm alone. Robert Frost was right to point that out. But I was under the impression that those who are in Christ are part of the supernatural realm also. That those who are in Christ are part of a family, not just neighbors. Am I mistaken?

Do good walls of separation between the rooms in the House of God make good family members? Should I be building a better wall? Instead of thinking there may be a way to tear down the walls of division? A way that reconciles, rather than divides?

What of unity?

This is where I fall short. I’ve emphasized the fact of division, but I haven’t given sufficient thought to a way reconciliation. Simply because before there can be reconciliation, there must first be an acknowledgment of the division.

The way of reconciliation in Christianity is reconciliation over a new doctrinal standard that certain denominations (or a new mega denomination) can live with, or reconciliation over as little a doctrinal standard as possible. Either way, the emphasis is still on the doctrinal standard, the cause of denominationalism to begin with.

I think it has to do with being in Christ and in Spirit. Endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit, Paul said. Endeavoring to keep the unity of the doctrinal standard obviously isn’t working. So I know for sure that unity isn’t a matter of doctrine.

I know one could surmise from that, that there is no true or right doctrine, there is no true or right way to worship. But that can’t be either. That’s just people doing what’s right in their own eyes. There is already a ready made standard of doctrine. Not doctrinal standards derived from biblical interpretation. Rather, the bible itself is the doctrinal standard.

The bible even has its own hymnal in the Psalms. Now if we consider the bible to be inspired in a way that is more than as poetry is inspired, then the Psalms are certainly more inspired than the poetry found in the Christian hymnbooks. Do we need Sermonizers to explain the bible from their own point of view? Or would the congregation be better served if they just heard it straight from the horses mouth, as it were? From the bible itself as read apart from the explanation of a sermon? Who leads in the worship of God? Does a Worship leader or Jesus Christ?

Anyway, that’s how I see it.

If you want to talk about denominations or the Trinity, I'm cool with that, but if we do that here I'll have to sell you this thread you say I own.....$2.75 paid in cash to me and no checks.

As far as talking about the Trinity, I’ve only recently changed my view on the matter. I’ve been too preoccupied with other matters to give it much thought.

As far as denominationalism, if I thought I could not tie it in with the subject of this thread, I wouldn’t have bothered. But it does tie in. So I wrote what I wrote.

Christians, so long as they continue in denominationalism, are walking in sin themselves, and really have no ground to judge each other, let alone judge those who are exterior to Christianity, people like Dan Savage and their message. It’s like the pot calling the kettle black. Dan Savage was raised a Catholic, in Catholic schools. He knows and uses what he learned to the full advantage of the gay agenda.

I can’t deny what is obvious to me. Any more than anyone else can deny what is obvious to them. The existence of Christian denominationalism, if Christianity is the expression of the Body of Christ, is evidence that God didn’t send Jesus Christ. If Christianity is not the expression of the Body of Christ, which I don’t believe it is, then it’s just an expression of itself. And the witness today of God sending the Son is an individual matter.

I’ve been known to have been wrong before. But not about things so obvious. I am looking into alternatives. I’m can’t see myself wasting my time on the matter of denominationalism much longer. It’s a matter that concerns adherents of Christianity. Let them deal with it. I’ve said my piece. For months now.

NC

Wayseer, you did not address me but I am going to ask you a question rather than answer what you've said. Why are you bent on defending Savage? You say you are using our criticism of him but refusal to use the same measure to judge Jesus to show 'hypocrisy'. This is an illogical and unspiritual argument on so many levels I'm sure you are not getting answers because of the nature of your argument.

First of all, Jesus is and was a holy man who was also God personified during His stay on earth. He said "You see Me, you see the Father". He proclaimed His divine humanity by declaring He is the Son of Man and the Son of God. He remains a divine human where He is now seated next to the Father.

Savage is a profane man, one who has no problem vilifying the Book spoken through inspiration of God. He is not godly, regardless of whether his concern over "bullying" is legitimate or merely a cover for his full agenda.

It appears that while you show little respect for Jesus, you do believe in God. So why accuse those who oppose Savage of hypocrisy. Is it not you yourself who would be the hypocrite, appearing to believe in the Bible and God but showing disrespect for what God says of His Son?

Savage is a profane man.

Meatballsub

Not what Dan Savage said in the convention. He called the bible BS.
Yeah, and I watched the video without looking for something to be offended about. I've learned how to grow a thick skinned. I've also been to college where I had to learn how to defend my papers and ideas in front of my peers. So what Dan said dosen't Phase me. I'm learned to not be hyper sensitive.

He apologized for the words, but not the thought.
I don't think he should apologies for the thought. His thought was correct. The Bible has been used to justify horrible things even if it is out of context.

And what you're seeing on the Christian forums is probably just what you want to see.
No, the majority of what I see is people imediately getting offended and disregarding what the man actually said so they can soap box about how Dan is so evil. Even you went on a rant about "New Atheism" over this and then pointed at me as being one of the ilk. So you telling me that I'm only seeing what I want to see is hilarious.

You do seem to have an agenda.
Yeah, trying to keep this discussion grounded in reality.

Savage is a bully who hasn't a clue what bullying really is.
Someone dosen't know anything about Dan Savage. He grew up as a homosexual during the 80s. He has lost jobs over it, has been physically attacked, and even fled the country for a short amount of time. He didn't even become an activist until the 90s.

He shouldn't have been asked to speak at that event in the first place.
Yes he should have. It was a journalism convention and he is a journalist, and a popular one. He dose have business being there.
Instead of speaking on bullying, he spoke according to his gay agenda.
Sorry I don't believe in conspiracy nonsense created by Right Wing Social conservatives to scare voters into fearing a group of people with made up nonsense, exagerations, and lies. In the very video Dan explained how the Bible has been used to justify bullying. That is on topic. He is getting backlash because he touched the sacred cow of the ubber sensitive Right wing Social conservatives. Yes, his PA comment should not have lobbied at all Christians, and I don't believe Christians all fallow the political nonsense of the RWSC Republicans.

In a bullying tone with bullying words. Inappropriately to the venue. But you won't be able to see that.
Sorry, already saw it and clarified myself many times. I'm just not jumping on the hate wagon going on.
You just want to defend the man. That's fine, I'm sure. So long as everyone understands that defense of Dan Savage and his idea that the bible is BS is your agenda.

NC
And your agenda is to get others to disregard what I'm saying with talks about how I'm defending some made up political talking point.

The Qu'ran has been used to justify horrible acts throughout its history and in bullying people into taking on the religion or die. The Qu'ran recommends killing homosexuals. But Savage didn't bad-mouth the Qu'ran, probably thinking the Bible much safer to malign and speaking about it badly a much easier way to get his agenda heard.
No, the reason why the Qu'ran wasn't referenced is because the Bible is what is currently being used in the US to justify bullying. The US has roughly a 1% population of Muslims. Where its around 80% Christian. The Bible is more Relevant to talk about. Savage has attacked the Qu'ran several times though.

To his quite apparent surprise, much of his audience got up and walked out. He resorted, like many another bully, to name-calling.
Yes, I've seen the video. Though I didn't see any surprise. I have clarified several pages ago with Mark that I do think Dan spoke in poor taste, but I abhor the vitriol being shoved back at him.

"Couldn't take" what he said? Actually, it was not because of what he said about bullying that they walked out. It was exactly his foul mouthed attack on the Bible that brought about the walk out.
Because he touched the sacred cow. He is right. The Bible has been used to justify slavery in the US. Many people do scan the Bible looking for excuses to treat people wrongly. This should only be offensive to those who use the Bible that way, or to those who are unaware of what the Bible actually says.

Ask me how I know. Okay, I'll tell you, Meatballsub, because I felt and behaved exactly the same way, only I just did the cut off in the privacy of my livingroom. I give them a standing O for walking out on him in public, en masse, turning their backs to his ignorance in thinking them so naive as to not understand his despiteful use of their holy Book for his agenda.
I'm reading this noting that you missed the entire point. It is disrepectful that history has shown that the BIble has been used to justify some horrible things. Its not disrespectful for Dan to point it out. I agree that his comment at the "END" was distasteful.

Danus

I’ve emphasized the fact of division, but I haven’t given sufficient thought to a way reconciliation. Simply because before there can be reconciliation, there must first be an acknowledgment of the division.

I understand.

Yes there are many denominations and divisions within the "church", but there is also much common ground.

I reconcile it by not worshiping the church, not seeing the church as the source of my relationship with God, nor is the church between me and God, and lastly, not holding myself to the authority of the church, over the authority of God.

However, I do respect the church in so much as that is possible within the word of God. "The church is a whore, but she is my Mother" - Augustine

So where does the church fit in to my relationship with God? ...you might ask, and I'd say that I am the church in so much as my relationship with God. I am not alone as the church, and together we are all the church, but I am responsible to God, not ....say.....the Pope. The authority of the church, as an institution, is beholden to me and everyone else, not the other way around.

The church, as an institution, has historically gotten off track in knowing it's place in the chain of command. God has righted it many of times, and he will continue to do that. So, belonging to a "denomination" does not effect me in the same way it might someone else.

I attend and worship in a non-denominational church, but I could do the same in many other churches. Does not matter to me in so far as my relationship with God. ....might matter to the church I try to join, but that would be their problem, not mine.

I attend and worship in a non-denominational church, but I could do the same in many other churches. Does not matter to me in so far as my relationship with God. ....might matter to the church I try to join, but that would be their problem, not mine.

Smiling over here! It is 'their problem'.

That being said, just wish I was as confident that incorrectly interpreted Scripture would not effect my thinking! I do find it easier and easier to stay with what is truly revealed in Scripture and far less easy to get "off track" by someone's doctrine, but it hasn't always been so. Sometimes even very wrong headed doctrine can sound convincing. Thank God for the Holy Spirit Who leads us into all truth!

Back