Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Omniscience of Christ

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mike

I'm going to copy some of this OP from another post that I made in another thread asking several questions about Jesus in the CT&A forum. I hope this isn't redundant, and the participants will respond in keeping with the nature of a Bible Study. This is something I've never had a complete grasp on. I've had to make leaps of faith when considering certain scripture.

I'm going on the assumption that Jesus Christ is a separate and distinct person of the One Triune God; that being one God, they share complete singularity in The One Nature. I'll ask that this Nature not be up for discussion, but that we look at scripture that might or might not put limitations on His omniscience while on the earth. Of course the big one would be:

Mark 13
32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Another, simpler example; one more easily explained (for me anyway) is the account of the woman touching Jesus robe.

Mark 5
"30 At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?â€

31 “You see the people crowding against you,†his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ â€
32 But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. 33 Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.â€

--------------

Omniscient (dictionary.com):
- having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things.

--------------

I believe He was omniscient while on the earth. He asked a lot of questions to visitors, but it wasn't because He didn't know their hearts. He would ask them to make His point, bring awareness to the person He was speaking to, and convict them. Several examples:

John 4
"Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.â€

John 16
"29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.â€
31 “Do you now believe?†Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.â€

John 2
"23 Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival, many people saw the signs he was performing and believed in his name. 24 But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people. 25 He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person."

I believe He was fully God and performed the miracles by His own power, and didn't rely on God the Father. I do believe, aside from miracles and probing the hearts of man, Jesus humbled Himself to live as us while with us. He definitely had authority.

Mark 4
"39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!†Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?â€
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!â€

So, I am hoping to have a study of scripture that looks at everything we can to grasp the omniscience of Jesus. My understanding of Jesus' "ignorance" in the few examples given is that He "gave up" access to this power rather than "lost it" as a human. It was as though it was there as a potential, or you might say it was "latent".

FYI, I started a thread a while back about sin and scripture that speaks to it. In my moment of insanity, I posted it in the AT forum. Quickly it went in a direction I had not intended it to go, and (as Nathan said) I realized I should have put it in the Bible Study Forum, so I let it go.

I'm going away for the weekend. I will be able to check on my phone during some down time, but I like to wait until I'm at my pc before I respond. I don't want you to think I cut & run again. :)

I'm going to copy some of this OP from another post that I made in another thread asking several questions about Jesus in the CT&A forum. I hope this isn't redundant, and the participants will respond in keeping with the nature of a Bible Study. This is something I've never had a complete grasp on. I've had to make leaps of faith when considering certain scripture.

I'm going on the assumption that Jesus Christ is a separate and distinct person of the One Triune God; that being one God, they share complete singularity in The One Nature. I'll ask that this Nature not be up for discussion, but that we look at scripture that might or might not put limitations on His omniscience while on the earth. Of course the big one would be:

Mark 13
32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Another, simpler example; one more easily explained (for me anyway) is the account of the woman touching Jesus robe.

Mark 5
"30 At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?
31 “You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ”
32 But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. 33 Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. 34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

--------------

Omniscient (dictionary.com):
- having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things.

--------------

I believe He was omniscient while on the earth. He asked a lot of questions to visitors, but it wasn't because He didn't know their hearts. He would ask them to make His point, bring awareness to the person He was speaking to, and convict them. Several examples:

John 4
"Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”

John 16
"29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

John 2
"23 Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival, many people saw the signs he was performing and believed in his name. 24 But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people. 25 He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person."

I believe He was fully God and performed the miracles by His own power, and didn't rely on God the Father. I do believe, aside from miracles and probing the hearts of man, Jesus humbled Himself to live as us while with us. He definitely had authority.

Mark 4
"39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!

So, I am hoping to have a study of scripture that looks at everything we can to grasp the omniscience of Jesus. My understanding of Jesus' "ignorance" in the few examples given is that He "gave up" access to this power rather than "lost it" as a human. It was as though it was there as a potential, or you might say it was "latent".

This is a good Study as long as one gets it correct!;) But surely, Christ was totally as the first Adam as the human Adam had limitation after he lost the earth's domain. And surely we see the God/Christ when it was required.

One thought on the latter is when 'are' ones sins removed from the record books according to Matt. 9:5? This finds Christ as God in power, yet the latter is not Christ God as our High Priest yet. Or else we would ALL be healed of our bodily problems. This showes me that Christ God worked ONLY as Adam man in the Gospel Plan. Another good verse is Matt. 4:8-9 wit NO rebuttal as to satans claim.

I see Christ having several reasons of the Godheads 'MISSION' of comming to earth. One main reason was to PROVE for all of Eternity that satan nor mankind were creat flawed by them. In other words, I see Christ as man (Adam) as 'kind of' on triail before the Universe! 1 Peter 1:3-12.

--Elijah

This is hard to address without refering to the triune nature of God...

But with the exception of His return, which is in the Father's keeping. The rest can be explained by the fact that from the moment he was born, until the moment he died and ressurected....Jesus was human, in all ways. He set aside the expression of his diety (including omniscience)and behaved as a man

All He did, all He said, was what He was told by the Father

John 5:19 Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

We know his Authority came from the Father

John 14: 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

So I think all the earthly instances of his lack of omniscience can be explained by this.

As to the other, well I would have to go into the nature of God to try and address that

Back