Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Purpose of the Law

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Digger

Since only the Jews were “under†the Law, who is Paul referring to in Galatians 3?

How does one fulfill the righteous requirements of the Law without doing what the Law says?

Paul is referring to people who were coming to the Galations and attempting to put them under the bondage of the letter of the law. He specifically references circumcision in chapter 5 as one of these works of the law.

In Chapter 3 Paul is talking about how righteousness comes by faith and not by the law.

While Israel had the law specifically given to them God still holds the gentiles accountable because He has made the very basics of God and righteousness known to all (Rom1:20). Every man has had light given them (Joh1:9). Thus the condemnation of men is based on the rejection of light in favour of darkness (Joh3:19).

The law is simply a set of outward instructions and in and of itself cannot cleanse the heart. Thus righteousness does not come by the law. This was the error of the Pharisees, who sought to establish their righteousness by the outward acts of the law while their hearts remained filthy.

This is the error Paul is warning against in his epistle to the Galations.

You see the letter kills but the Spirit brings life (2 Cor3:6). A good example of this is when the Pharisees would accuse Jesus of being a sinner because He healed on the Sabbath day. To them righteousness was in the letter and they were completely blind to the Spirit. The letter is made alive through the Spirit, not the other way round. The Pharisees had the cart before the horse and did not have the eyes to realise it because they suppressed the truth in unrighteousness.

Faith works by love (Gal 5:6) and and it is love which fulfills the law (Gal 5:14, Mat 22:37-40). The law is established in the heart by faith (Rom 3:31), thus the righteous requirements of the law are fulfilled when we walk after the Spirit (Rom 8:4) by faith.

This is why Paul would say...

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

He had crucified his old man with Christ (Gal 5:24) in the baptism of repentance (Rom 6:4-7) and now walked a crucified life by the same faith which Jesus Christ exhibited. He has put his faith in the blood of Christ as his propitiation for past sins (Rom 3:25) and was cleansed of all unrighteousness as he walked in the light (1Joh 1:7).

It is a very simple teaching yet Satan wants to obfuscate it in the minds of men.

2Co_11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Psalm 51:17 KJV)

If you've been brought to nothing more than once then, obviously you understand that.

My first 'law lesson' came shortly after I had a deeply moving conversion experience and was still in the RCC. I knew from the experience that God in Christ loved me, and I literally 'felt' His Love course through me. I reveled in this reality for weeks afterwards. Just swam in it. Was upheld. I sought to 'sin not' continually. Not even the mere thought of same. No. Never.

But as they say, in the course of time, I stood before the altar receiving the 'host' after doing all the prerequisites and walking away from same I had an evil or temptation thought. And I asked the Spirit of Truth, WHY is this happening to me? I only want to think good and perfect thoughts. I do not want those thoughts.

I didn't hear any audible voices mind you. This is a form of 'internal reasoning' that a heart in truth engages in with The Spirit. So, the Spirit of TRUTH asks me, ARE YOU PERFECT? Well, says I, obviously not if that keeps happening to me. So He says, why don't you sit down with My Words and look to the causes of your IMPERFECTIONS if you want and desire A PERFECT reflection? You will have to face the facts of your IMPERFECTIONS.

Brilliant says I. Will do that.

The Law has taught me many things.

It was in those days that Gods Word taught me to put off the cloak of the hypocrite. One of the first 'law lessons,' and some here may have been led to see similarly, was at the event of the stoning of Stephen, where the Jews laid aside their cloaks at the feet of one young Saul. And what was then observed? Why, underneath those cloaks they were MURDERERS. This is a matter that only the Living Law can show us. It was placed there in the scriptures precisely to show us this matter. Paul was being used by God before he EVER saw what was really going on. Looking back upon the event, I am certain he was amazed, as I am looking back on my own life.

Those who are led by The Spirit will look back and see God was really with them their whole lives. And they will see amazing matters, personally, in their own lives and very much after some specific patterns that the Law shows.

s

Exactly,

All throughout my childhood I watch Christians say one thing and do something completely opposite. I knew there was more to it than what was taught. It wasn't until I had kids and started questioning how I was to show them the truth, in a church that said stop right here don't look further, there is no more to it. I knew I could not teach something I didn't know, and it was only when I realized how little I really didn't know, that I cried out to Him for help, and He was there like He said He would be.

They cause the naked to lodge without clothing, that they have no covering in the cold. They are wet with the showers of the mountains, and embrace the rock for want of a shelter. (Job 24:7, 8 KJV)

This is the church that says there is no more, stop here.

The purpose of the law is go guide us away from selfish behavior.

Yes?
...depends on which part of the law you're referring to. The main reason this matter of the law is so misunderstood is because people refuse to recognize and separate it into it's varied functions. I can't help but to think it goes back to the 'all or nothing', 'black or white' mentality that prevails in the church.

It's impossible to understand the role of the law if you do not recognize, for example, that some laws dealt specifically with matters of the temple and priesthood and sacrifices, which Hebrews calls the 'first covenant'. Laws which are now obsolete--not abolished, just no longer needed--now that Christ's ministry does infinitely better what those laws did for us.

Then there are the laws governing our responsibilities to not hurt and to care for one another. While all of the law is upheld by faith, it is these kinds of laws governing relationships that are upheld more literally by faith in Christ. And even then, it must be understood that the letter of the law is not how we are governed now, but by the Spirit of God impressing the matters of law onto our hearts through love, literally and figuratively as appropriate.

No one was ever successfully guided by a written set of rules. No one. So it is in that sense that "we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code." (Romans 7:6 NIV1984). This doesn't mean we don't have to uphold the requirements of the law. It means we don't do it through the powerlessness of a mere list of written rules, but rather through love by the power of the Spirit inside of us speaking to, and guiding us into all righteousness, whether that be through a literal or figurative 'keeping' of any one particular law as is appropriate this side of the cross.

Digger

In Chapter 3 Paul is talking about how righteousness comes by faith and not by the law.

Galatians 3:
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
(KJV)

Christians have the unfortunate tendency to be either/or. They jump on this kind of passage and interpret it accordingly. No one receives the Spirit by the works of the Law. Jews included. They receive the Spirit by the hearing of faith. Does that mean the Law has now become nothing? And now having begun in the flesh is one now made perfect by the flesh? How does Law and flesh become confused? Paul did not confuse them.

Paul is referring to people who were coming to the Galations and attempting to put them under the bondage of the letter of the law. He specifically references circumcision in chapter 5 as one of these works of the law.

Galatians 5:
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

This passage has been variously interpreted. In the view I present, the understanding is simple according to context and a simple principle presented in another place by Paul.

In vs. 3 is the key. If the reason to be circumcised is to keep the Law, one becomes a debtor to the Law. Why? Because of what he said in vs. 6. It wasn’t of faith.

The other place,

Colossians 2:
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses
(KJV)

How simple is the principle found in this passage, but rarely understood. Those who are in Christ need not be physically circumcised. Why? Because they are in Christ and Christ’s circumcision is applied to them. Note the buried with him in baptism. There is a new ritual for the one who is in Christ. Rather than physical circumcision, there is now physical water baptism signifying ones faith in God. Just as physical circumcision signified the faith of Abraham in God. And simultaneously one is baptized into Christ and the Body of Christ by the Spirit (Rom 6:1-4; 1 Cor 12:13). The one who is in Christ, baptized into Christ by the Spirit, is complete in Christ. Not only is the faith of Christ applied Justifying the one who is in Christ (Rom 3:22), but also the circumcision of Christ is applied to the one who is in Christ. To the one who is in Christ, Christ is all (1 Cor 1:28-31)

While Israel had the law specifically given to them God still holds the gentiles accountable because He has made the very basics of God and righteousness known to all (Rom1:20). Every man has had light given them (Joh1:9). Thus the condemnation of men is based on the rejection of light in favour of darkness (Joh3:19).

So then the Gentiles will be judged according to the light that they have, apart from Christ? If they haven’t rejected the light that they have, they are Justified, even apart from Christ?

The law is simply a set of outward instructions and in and of itself cannot cleanse the heart. Thus righteousness does not come by the law. This was the error of the Pharisees, who sought to establish their righteousness by the outward acts of the law while their hearts remained filthy.

You have rightly said that the Law can do nothing in and of itself. But the error of the Pharisees was not in trying to establish their righteousness by outward acts of the Law. Paul was clear.

Romans 10:
1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

They were ignorant of God’s righteousness and were trying to establish their own righteousness. The Law had nothing whatever to do with the situation of the Pharisees. The only Law they had was in their Traditions of men. Not the Law of the Scriptures. They were ignorant of that Law wherein God’s righteousness is clearly described.

You see the letter kills but the Spirit brings life (2 Cor3:6).

2 Corinthians 3:
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Sometimes I wonder why Christians have a bible at all, if not to have something to interpret.

Have you not heard of the secular parable concerning the spirit of the law? Well, that is what is being referred to here. The Law isn’t even mentioned here, except in a round about way by mentioning Moses. But the Spirit is. And that’s the point. In the end Paul says,

2 Corinthians 3:
12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
(KJV)

As it was in the OT days, so also it is now for the ones who are in Christ. The Spirit only was involved with the Prophets in the OT. Now the Spirit is involved with all who are in Christ. The glory of Law was veiled, as was Moses’ face, to the OT people. The Prophets were to help them in that regard. Not so today. At least it’s not supposed to be. But seeing how the Law is viewed in Christianity, apparently it is still veiled. And in Christianity, there is a need for bible teachers in lieu of the prophets of the OT. It’s the Lord Spirit (literal meaning of the “the Spirit of the Lordâ€) wherein is the glory of God. Not in the Law. The Law is simply a tool of the Spirit, and by itself it is dead letters. As is the whole of the OT, as it is based on the Law. As also is the NT. For Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Law, not destroy it.

More to follow.

FC

Digger

A good example of this is when the Pharisees would accuse Jesus of being a sinner because He healed on the Sabbath day.

What it is, is an example of is how the Pharisees lived by the Traditions of men. Jesus used that situation to clarify both that point and the real meaning of what the Law actually said.

Matthew 12:
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.
14 Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.
(KJV)

Faith works by love (Gal 5:6) and and it is love which fulfills the law (Gal 5:14, Mat 22:37-40).

Love apart from the Spirit is as much letter as is the Law apart from the Spirit. Dead. And just as cliché as the word Law was to the Pharisees.

The law is established in the heart by faith (Rom 3:31), thus the righteous requirements of the law are fulfilled when we walk after the Spirit (Rom 8:4) by faith.

That is true. But how do you know about the Law and what it says. if not through where it is written in the OT? The Jesus Christ through the Spirit uses the bible to teach us. Otherwise, not just the Law, but the whole bible is unnecessary, except as dead letters to be interpreted.

This is why Paul would say...

Galatians 2:
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
(KJV)

Maybe he said that because he had just said,

Galatians 2:
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in (note: literally into) Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
(KJV)

No one is Justified by the Law, not even the Jews. They’re Justified by faith in God when they practice the tabernacle ritual given to them by faith. The ones who are in Christ are in Christ due to faith in God and then Justified by the faith of Christ by virtue of being in Christ, as is made plain here. That idea is continued in Gal 2:20-21. And even into Gal 3

Galatians 3:
19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
(KJV)

What you need to see is that the Law APART FROM THE SPIRIT is dead letters. The Law WITH THE SPIRIT is eternal life. The Law IN CHRIST is eternal life. The two are the same thing. Christ fulfilled the Law and the one who is in Christ is Justified by the faith of Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Christ fulfilled the Law and the one who is in Christ fulfills the Law in Christ through the Holy Spirit. That’s not just pie in the sky. It’s a very practical matter. It is only possible through walking by the Spirit. If the one who is in Christ negates the Law in his life, especially by thinking the Law has been abrogated, he becomes nothing more than lawless and the Law is not fulfilled in him. Even though such may be personally Justified by the faith of Christ due to being in Christ, the Law is not fulfilled in him because he isn’t walking by the Spirit. Apart from fulfilling the Law in Christ through walking by the Spirit, his Justification has no practical expression to the world. He is not light to the world and either hides the light, or worse, shows the world that which is not light due to his lawlessness and consequent following of his own flesh.

FC

Rom 5:20

Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

It may seem a little harsh, but this verse says why the law entered. I believe we should keep the law as much as we can, but it seems to me that the law was given to show we can't be like God, except by grace through faith.

Keeping the law is good. It will help you get along in the community, but we can't ever use our "keeping the Law" as evidence of our righteousness. It seems to me that no one has ever kept the whole law, which James said is required of us if we keep just one point of it. Paul said we must walk by faith or the law, but the two do not mix.

So the law was instituted to show how difficult is is to be righteous. Therefore, since it is impossible to physically do, we must rely on grace through faith.

If we have the spirit can we be, not justified?
It's the spirit that teaches all things, including the law in its true form. Without that vail

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

Maybe this was only for the other apostles also?

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. (1 John 2:27 KJV)

When we behave selfishly, we bring trouble into our lives. The purpose of the law is go guide us away from selfish behavior.

Yes?
Are you referring to the Law of Moses?

If so, I would say the answer is no. The Law of Moses:

1. was only ever given to the nation of Israel;
2. was retired at the cross.

So while the Law had a purpose, that purpose has already been fulfilled.

The law brings people to Christ by contrasting unrighteousness to righteousness. It is a schoolmaster.
It was a schoomaster:

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

You appear to read this as applying in the setting of each individual believer even in the present day. I think that is incorrect.

Paul is speaking historically here, asserting that the Jews had the Law of Moses to guide them up until the time of Christ.

I am prepared to provide the associated arguments against a "personalized" reading.

I am always mystified that so many people believe that the Law of Moses is for everyone. I suggest the Biblical arguments against this position are conclusive.

As just one example, from Psalm 147:

He declares His words to Jacob,
His statutes and His ordinances to Israel.
20 He has not dealt thus with any nation;
And as for His ordinances, they have not known them.

The Law of Moses was only ever given to the nation of Israel.

But I found at one point of my life that the Lord taught me some “rules†he wanted me to follow, and when I followed those rules, my problems disappeared. My life became a paradise. My life continues to be a paradise as long as I resist temptation.
I do not doubt it. But I agree with Webb - the Law of Moses is "done away with". This does not mean, of course, that God does not guide us. But the Law of Moses is a specific set of written laws given to Israel at Mount Sinai and now "retired".

The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. (Isaiah 2:1-3 KJV)

Why talking about the last days, does Isaiah talk about the law coming forth out of Zion? People today are starting to say that they understand they law differently, not as a physical law, and they are readily dismissed. I am not saying anyone should just blindly believe them, at least consider it, don't just blindly dismiss them either

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter. (Proverbs 25:2 KJV)

I do not doubt it. But I agree with Webb - the Law of Moses is "done away with". This does not mean, of course, that God does not guide us. But the Law of Moses is a specific set of written laws given to Israel at Mount Sinai and now "retired".
There has to be some explanation of what 'done away with' means. And it has to recognize the differences between laws that were given by God.

"...love your neighbor as yourself." (Lev. 19:18 NIV1984)

"God...will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through...faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." (Romans 3:30-31 NIV1984)

How do you explain the retirement of some laws and not others...if you even believe that?

The Bible itself makes the distinction and helps us understand what laws are now obsolete and which ones are not, and helps us understand what the purpose of the law was/ is.

The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. (Isaiah 2:1-3 KJV)

Why talking about the last days, does Isaiah talk about the law coming forth out of Zion? People today are starting to say that they understand they law differently, not as a physical law, and they are readily dismissed. I am not saying anyone should just blindly believe them, at least consider it, don't just blindly dismiss them either

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter. (Proverbs 25:2 KJV)

The Law has always been spiritual and working against the power of evil in the hearts of mankind.

s

Drew

I am always mystified that so many people believe that the Law of Moses is for everyone. I suggest the Biblical arguments against this position are conclusive.

And I’m mystified that so many people believe the Law given by God to Moses is for no one, except the Jews who lived prior to the first century. The OT is based on the Law. If the Law is only for the Jews, then so also is the OT. You can quote all the NT references you want to show how the NT writers quoted the OT constantly and didn’t agree that the OT was only for the Jews. And I will say: precisely, which is why I keep saying.....

And “biblical†arguments derived by interpretation are always conclusive to those who believe them.

As just one example, from Psalm 147:

He declares His words to Jacob,
His statutes and His ordinances to Israel.
20 He has not dealt thus with any nation;
And as for His ordinances, they have not known them.

The Law of Moses was only ever given to the nation of Israel.

The NIV translates it this way,

19 He has revealed his word to Jacob, his laws and decrees to Israel.
20 He has done this for no other nation; they do not know his laws.

How does that show that what was given to Israel isn’t for the nations also. It only says the nations didn’t know his laws. Doesn’t say they weren’t suppose to know them. It only says that God didn’t give his Laws to any other nation than Israel. Not that they weren’t supposed to be for all nations. Was the Law just to be part of a local religion? Since Jesus was a Jew and thus a part of that religion, why should we agree with Paul that it was something for the world?

He also says,

12 Praise Jehovah, O Jerusalem; Praise thy God, O Zion.
(ASV)

Does this prove that Jehovah was merely a local God and his Laws merely local laws?

It also says,

4 He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name.
8 He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills.
9 He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call.
16 He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the frost like ashes.
17 He hurls down his hail like pebbles. Who can withstand his icy blast?
18 He sends his word and melts them; he stirs up his breezes, and the waters flow.
(KJV)

Does that prove this God is just a nature God of a primitive religion?

Anything can be proven through biblical interpretation.

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
(KJV)

How in the world can the world become guilty before God if they haven’t the Law to show they are guilty? And if you answer that they already had it within, I will counter with the question, then why do you say the Law isn’t for them?

And the only way you have left to show the homosexual Christians are in error is by Romans 1. Which can be interpreted away as easily as you’ve interpreted away the Law. You should check out their interpretations of the Law and Romans 1. They make as much sense as any other of man’s interpretations. And since the practice of interpretation is legitimate in Christianity, the interpretations of gay Christians have as much right to be followed as anyone else’s interpretations. But not to those whose authority is their own interpretations. And if they believe the Law in the OT has been abrogated, they, just as the gay Christians, create their own Law. That sometimes is remarkably like the Law they claim has been abrogated. How Freudian of them.

The purpose of the Law isn’t just one thing. It shows sin as Paul said. It’s also a lamp unto our feet, as the Psalms says. As Law is Spiritual and as such can’t be separated from walking by the Spirit. Apart from the Spirit, the Law is dead letters. Which is much more than simply being abrogated, or retired as you put it.

FC

One purpose of Gods Law is to prove us all conclusively wrong, that we understand our need for Divine Mercy. A person who doesn't understand Divine Mercy usually has a poorer understanding of Law.

The Law, taken to it's ultimate conclusion, should point clearly to the fact that we do not and never have Perfect thoughts. It is not solely an 'exterior' matter. That is the mistake that many made and continue to make about Law. Since some see no use for the 'external measures' they then toss it.

But that was never the basis of Law from the beginning.

s

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back