Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

The Sabbath day was made for man, not man for the Sabbath

Humblepie

Mark 2:27
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

The Sabbath was blessed by God as holy on the 7th day of creation. What's your reason for not observing the sabbath day from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday?

Mark 2:27
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

The Sabbath was blessed by God as holy on the 7th day of creation. What's your reason for not observing the sabbath day from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday?

Could you clarify for us what you specifically mean by “observing” the Sabbath?

Does “observing” the Sabbath mean we can not cook any food, or travel or take a bath, and are required to attend a synagogue on Saturday?

Does “observing” the Sabbath mean we can not cook any food, or travel or take a bath, and are required to attend a synagogue on Saturday?
Do you rest from all the work you have accomplished during previous 6 days, like God did on the 7th day.

Gen 2:2-3
2 On the seventh day God completed the work he had been doing; he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.
3 God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work he had done in creation.

Do you rest from all the work you have accomplished during previous 6 days, like God did on the 7th day.

Gen 2:2-3
2 On the seventh day God completed the work he had been doing; he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.
3 God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work he had done in creation.

Here is the question I asked -

After you clarify what you mean by “observing” the Sabbath then please clarify what you mean by “rest”.

By rest do you mean we can not cook any food, or travel or take a bath, and are required to attend a synagogue on Saturday?

I hope to have a meaningful discussion about these things.

I’m just asking you to clarify what you mean.

After you clarify what you mean by “observing” the Sabbath then please clarify what you mean by “rest”.

By rest do you mean we can not cook any food, or travel or take a bath, and are required to attend a synagogue on Saturday?

I’m just asking you to clarify what you mean?

Here is your answer straight from scripture. I'm not discussing my opinion, but what God said he rested from. All his work.

because on it he rested from all the work he had done

I’m just asking you to clarify what you mean.
From Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, how do you set aside and honor his Sabbath day that he proclaimed as Holy?

Or is it a normal day for you?

Here is your answer straight from scripture. I'm not discussing my opinion, but what God said he rested from. All his work.

because on it he rested from all the work he had done

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Genesis 2:1-3

Please show me in Genesis the instructions God gave to Adam (mankind) about resting from his work.

The scripture you gave was about God completing ALL His work in 6 days and never working again, ever.

Please show us where God gave these instructions to Adam.

JLB

Last edited:
From Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, how do you set aside and honor his Sabbath day that he proclaimed as Holy?

Or is it a normal day for you?

I asked you to clarify what you mean by “observe” the Sabbath.

Once you have done this, then I asked you to clarify what you mean by “rest”.

Rest to God may mean something different than what you mean.

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Genesis 2:1-3

Please show me in Genesis the instructions God gave to Adam (mankind) about resting from his work.

The scripture you gave was about God completing ALL His work in 6 days and never working again, ever.

Please show us where God gave these instructions to Adam.

JLB

Are you implying that there was no Sabbath, or that God's followers weren't aware of the sabbath until a given time in Scripture?

Are you implying that there was no Sabbath, or that God's followers weren't aware of the sabbath until a given time in Scripture?

I asked you to show me where God gave instructions to Adam about resting from His work.

I asked you to clarify what you mean by observing the Sabbath.

I asked you to clarify what you mean by “observe” the Sabbath.

Once you have done this, then I asked you to clarify what you mean by “rest”.

Rest to God may mean something different than what you mean.
I said it doesn't matter how I observe the Sabbath, what matters is how God wants you to observe the Sabbath.

Do you observe it how God tells you to observe it, or don't observe it, and for what reason if you don't. Observe it.

I didn't say he gave it to Adam, that's your claim that can be neither proven or disproven.

So far you have presented a scripture passage about God creating the heavens and the earth in 6 days, and then because all His work was accomplished He rested on the seventh day from all His work.

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made. Genesis 2:1-3

• because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Ok, so we see no instructions to Adam about resting on the seventh day.

Can you clarify what you mean by observing the Sabbath?

The first time the Sabbath is mentioned in scripture is in Exodus and is associated with the law of Moses.

Before the law was established at Sinai the Sabbath was already established. I would venture a guess and say it was from the beginning, but since scripture isn't clear, we can definitely say it was established well before the Law of Moses. That is why God said to [[[[[remember the Sabbath]]]]

Before the law:

Exodus 16:23-26
23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.

25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field.

26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

I said it doesn't matter how I observe the Sabbath, what matters is how God wants you to observe the Sabbath.

Please show us how God instructed Adam to observe the Sabbath.

Please show us how Jesus instructed His disciples to observe the Sabbath.

Incorrect...Exodus 16 makes it clear. It was established before the law was handed down.

Please show us the first scripture that uses the word Sabbath.

Here is what I found.

Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” Exodus 16:23

It was established before the law was handed down.

And so it was, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field. Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? See! For the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” So the people rested on the seventh day. Exodus 16:22-30

And so it was, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field. Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? See! For the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” So the people rested on the seventh day. Exodus 16:22-30
Exactly my point. This was before the commandments were written on stone.

Please show us how Jesus instructed His disciples to observe the Sabbath.
During his lifetime on earth Jesus kept the Sabbath day perfectly. He regularly taught in the synagogues on the Sabbath day (Matthew 4:23; 9:35; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:31; 6:6; 13:10), and habitually went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day to read the law (Luke 4:16). He said, "I have kept my Father's commandments" (John 10:15), and these commandments included the Sabbath day:

Back