Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

The Sabbath day was made for man, not man for the Sabbath

And so it was, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field. Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? See! For the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” So the people rested on the seventh day. Exodus 16:22-30
Matt 28:20
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Matt 5:19
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

Please show us how God instructed Adam to observe the Sabbath.
Do you own some secret text that proclaims this, if so enlighten me. It's not written in my Bible, but if you think for one second that Adam only had one law, not to eat of the tree? I would offer this scripture.

Gen 4:4
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

How did Able know to offer his best to God in an offering to him?

Mark 2:27
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

The Sabbath was blessed by God as holy on the 7th day of creation. What's your reason for not observing the sabbath day from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday?
The Sabbath Law was part of the Law of Moses. We are not under the Law of Moses in the NT era. "Grace and peace comes by Jesus Christ. The Law came by Moses."

There were approx. 613 requirements to keep the Law of Moses. 10 of those requirements were the 10 Commandments, one of which was "Remember the Sabbath Day." Though some of these commandments are equally applicable under the New Covenant, the Sabbath Day requirement is not.

The question is asked, "What separates Sabbath Law from Moral Commandments like 'do not murder, do not steal, and do not covet?* " The difference is that moral laws are universal, whereas some laws are a matter of external form, not determined by the heart attitude alone.

Sabbath Law is a form and ritual, which if kept does not necessarily mean that the heart attitude is right. All of the ritual law failed when the Law as a covenant failed with the crucifixion of Christ. And that became an opportunity for Man to surrender his failure in the form of Sin. We now have a new form, the form of the blameless, sinless Christ.

So we continue to follow moral laws, but the form we adhere to is the form accomplished by Christ. We live in him, but we cannot do what he did, being sinless and blameless. We live in him and accept his forgiveness in order to participate in his record and promise.

Please show us how God instructed Adam to observe the Sabbath.
I can't show you that, but I can show you there were clean and unclean animals before the Law of Moses and he offered them as a sacrifice before the law.

Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.

Exactly my point. This was before the commandments were written on stone.

Sorry but only 10 commandments were written in stone of the 613.

The word sabbath was first written in Exodus and no where in Genesis.

Scripture?
According to the Roman catholic church.
I do not follow the RCC, I follow scripture.
Please provide the quote from the RCC. I'm not RCC, but the Scriptures are replete with the claim we are now under a New Covenant, and not the Old Covenant. There is a reason we have NT Scriptures.

Gal 4.21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.
24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother.

It was before the law of moses. It was made for man. Not just jews. And not just part of the Mosaic covenant. That's what my Bible states.
I said the Sabbath Law was part of the Law of Moses. It was, and I informed you that it is contained in the 10 Commandments.

I'm not aware of any body of law that required Sabbath observance outside of the Law of Moses, and certainly not anything that would apply to Christians.

During his lifetime on earth Jesus kept the Sabbath day perfectly.

For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”
Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. John 5:16-18

Kept the Sabbath perfectly according to who?

Please show me the scriptures where Jesus instructed His disciples to keep the Sabbath.

Please provide the quote from the RCC. I'm not RCC, but the Scriptures are replete with the claim we are now under a New Covenant, and not the Old Covenant. There is a reason we have NT Scriptures.

Gal 4.21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.
24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother.
All of Galatians context is about following the law as a way to salvation.
That is the context.
It isn't "law or no law"
Act15 is a direct result of what Happened in Galatia.

All of Galatians context is about following the law as a way to salvation.
That is the context.
It isn't "law or no law"
Act15 is a direct result of what Happened in Galatia.
That isn't true--that is your rationalization. You say, "It is context," when in reality, Paul said we are not under the Law, period.

So you want me to quote the Scriptures on this, and you simply rationalize it away to fit your preconceived beliefs?

Please show me the scriptures where Jesus instructed His disciples to keep the Sabbath.
I just did Bro.

20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [d]Amen.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

I just did Bro.

20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [d]Amen.

Let me tell you about context, brother. Jesus was under the Covenant of Law when he said your last quote here--he was not himself accountable to the Law, but he was teaching while Israel was still under the Law.

So Jesus was saying that every law was still being required at that time. But he also said that every law would be fulfilled in himself. How that would take place was not in his interest to explain at that point, while they were still being held accountable under the Law.

Unless people enter into Christ, every law will hold lawbreakers accountable until the end of the ages. Apart from Christ, Israel will be utterly unable to find redemption, and certainly not one that lasts forever.

Jesus was arguing for the eternal authority of the Law in declaring all men sinners. And Israel would never be able to extract themselves from the need to pursue redemption, both while the Law was in effect and later, when they need to rely on Christ for forgiveness.

preconceived beliefs?
I once thought like you, so it isn't pre conceived.

That way of thinking, you have to remove scripture that contradicts your belief. God said the law is for ALL generations, till heaven and earth pass, you have to remove that from scripture to fit your belief, I dont.

He said we are not under the law of sin, the law of sin and death, and the law to justify you. Period.
No, the law, or principle, of sin is the fact that under God's Law we are all found to be sinners. We will always be guilty of this until through Christ we are liberated from that condemnation.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with being under one covenant or the other. Again, Paul made it unmistakeably clear that Christians are not under the Law as a covenant. We are under a New Covenant.

Back