Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Second Book of Moses Called Exodus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Harboring a fugitive

†. Ex 2:11-12 . . Now it came about in those days, when Moses had grown up, that he went out to his brethren and looked on their hard labors; and he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brethren. So he looked this way and that, and when he saw there was no one around, he struck down the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.

There wasn't exactly "no one" around. I mean; the guy being beaten saw everything.

Moses was a three-month old infant when the princess found him (Acts 7:20). At this point in his life, he was forty years old. (Acts 7:23-24)

Moses certainly over-reacted in that incident. He had connections in a Pharaoh's palace and could have simply reported the abuse to some higher-ups instead of taking matters into his own hands. Terminating the Egyptian's life was extreme to say the least. In most any sensible jurisdiction; the law permits using only enough force and violence as is necessary to prevent the commission of a crime. Since Moses was educated in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, then I've no doubt he was aware of the limits of the law. So then, I'm pretty much forced to conclude that his was a crime of passion and totally without excuse.

According to Stephen, Moses thought of himself as a somebody special.

†. Acts 7:25 . . For he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not.

Well; I don't think Moses understood either. Where'd he get the idea he was a divine emissary? I hate to say it; but I really think that Moses at this point in his life was just as delusional as a Jim Jones, and/or a David Koresh.

†. Ex 2:12-13 . . And he went out the next day, and behold, two Hebrews were fighting with each other; and he said to the offender: Why are you striking your companion?

A murderer is certainly no one to lecture anybody about striking people. And Moses was biased too. The previous day he had killed someone for striking an Hebrew. This time he merely protests.

†. Acts 7:27 . . But the one who was injuring his neighbor pushed him away, saying: Who made you a ruler and judge over us?

It wasn't uncommon for ancient governments to allow Jews within their jurisdictions enough autonomy to resolve their own differences. Pilate, for example, encouraged the Jews to judge Jesus according to their own laws because he could find nothing with which to charge the Lord in accordance with Roman law. Well; as far as the attacker was concerned-- royalty or no royalty --people visiting Hebrews job sites were just tourists and had no business in their affairs.

†. Ex 2:14b . . Are you intending to kill me, as you killed the Egyptian?" Then Moses was afraid

He had good reason to be afraid. It was one thing to slay an Hebrew laborer; but slaying an Egyptian was a matter deserving Pharaoh's attention.

†. Ex 2:14-15 . . When Pharaoh heard of this matter, he tried to kill Moses.

The identity of this Pharaoh is uncertain. It had been forty years since Moses was discovered by the river. If it's the same that ordered all the Hebrew male infants slain; he finally, at long last, had Moses between a rock and hard place where not even Pharaoh's daughter could protect him.

†. Ex 2:15a . . Moses fled from the presence of Pharaoh and settled in the land of Midian.

Midian was one of Abraham's sons by his second wife Keturah. His territory-- as well as some of Ishmael's --was located on the east side of the Red Sea (gulf of Aquaba). However, Midian's haunts included sites located on the Sinai Peninsula where Moses' father-in-law pastured his flocks. The Bible doesn't really say how Moses got there but if his journey took him from Memphis to the east side of Mt. Horeb; he traveled something like 300 miles to get there.

Ironically, merchants from Midian are the very ones who purchased Joseph from his brothers and then sold him into slavery in Egypt. But at least the Midianites and the Ishmaelites were Moses' kin; and probably his only friends in the whole Mideast since all of Jacob's people had evacuated Canaan way back when Joseph was Egypt's minister of agriculture, and second in command under the Pharaoh of his day. No doubt the Midianites and the Ishmaelites had survived the awful seven-year famine because of Joseph. Well; harboring a kinsman was their golden opportunity to reciprocate.

Buen Camino
/

Last edited by a moderator:
From Silver Spoon to Wooden Staff

†. Ex 2:16a . . Now the priest of Midian

The priest's name suggests he was a man of the true God rather than a man of one of the untrue gods in that neighborhood. His first name-- Re` uw'el (Reuel) --means "friend of God". His other name-- Yithrow (Jethro) --means "excellence". We could, had we a mind to, address the priest of Midian as: Your Excellency; Beloved of God.

Priests like Reuel and Melchizedek are interesting guys because they mediated between men and God prior to the installation of Aaron's priesthood-- and they were Gentiles.

†. Ex 2:16b-17 . . had seven daughters: and they came and drew water, and filled the troughs to water their father's flock. And the shepherds came and drove them away: but Moses stood up and helped them, and watered their flock.

Those pastoral blokes were no match for an Egyptian whom Steven said was trained in all the wisdom of Egypt; which no doubt included martial arts.

†. Ex 2:18-21a . . And when they came to Reuel their father, he said: How is it that you are come so soon to day? And they said: An Egyptian rescued us out of the hand of the shepherds, and also drew water enough for us, and watered the flock. And he said unto his daughters, And where is he? why is it that you have left the man? call him, that he may eat bread.

Reuel was probably thinking just as much about reciprocating the man's kindness as he was about getting one of those seven daughters of his married off. Any stranger who would protect his girls like that was just the kind of man he wanted for a son-in-law.

†. Ex 2:21b . . and Moses was content to dwell with the man: and he gave Moses Zipporah; his daughter.

That was actually very good for Moses. The first forty years of his life were sheltered as a pampered aristocrat, like those of Downton Abbey. He knew nothing about the rigors of working for a living nor of surviving in the outback. By the time the next forty years expired, that silver spoon in Moses' mouth was gone. His attitude was different too. Steven said Moses departed Egypt mighty in word and deed. Well by the time of the burning bush incident, he was mighty in neither. Pastoral life really tempered Moses' personality. Pharaoh drove Moses out of Egypt; but it took life out on the range to drive Egypt out of Moses.

Buen Camino
/

Something no one has touched on yet......

Paul says that the exodus and the journey in the wilderness was specifically written to US (the last generation) to use for our instruction! (1 Cor 10:11) This means there will be another Exodus, and the events of the soon-coming exodus will be like the first, only on a grander scale.

1. Yes I very much agree with that point and the Exodus this time is out of Babylon the Great I feel.
As a side point, I'm also of the opinion that she is very much connected to what we call globalized modern civilization.

Digging

Hey moderators!!! What happened to my 2 posts???!!!!

In one I quoted 'digging' and stated that at least 7 prophets, including the apostles Paul and John tell us there WILL be a second, even greater exodus.

JLB asked me to share the scriptures.

So I posted almost a dozen passages this morning!

Our 3 posts haven't just been 'deleted' but it seems they've been ERASED!!!!

What's the deal????

Sounds like they may be floating in cyberspace at the moment.

I can assure you this matter is being investigated ... none of us like to have posts go missing

Our apologies to you, mnwings & JLB, for the missing posts. Several of us have looked into the situation, and for whatever reason, no record of any of the three posts can be found. Don't know how to explain it all ... other than that sometimes the internet is a strange critter.

Prayerfully, you'll be able to recall what you had originally typed up to share.

Am sorry for the snafu, guys; I can assure you it was not due to any action taken by any moderator here.

When I went to my e-mail to retrieve JLB's response, I discovered that all of this was fully intact and undisturbed.........in another thread. :oops YIKES.... I am so DEEPLY embarrassed. Please forgive me AirDancer! As a moderator, you have your hands FULL with keeping everyone pleasant, and here I am wasting your time by having a temper tantrum over something that never happened. :shame

Again... my deepest apologies to the moderators and members for interupting this thread and causing such a scene. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!

I thank you, NMWings, for explaining the situation. I'm greatly relieved that all is well now & resolved!

Blessings!

1. Yes I very much agree with that point and the Exodus this time is out of Babylon the Great I feel.
As a side point, I'm also of the opinion that she is very much connected to what we call globalized modern civilization.

Digging

how on earth do you get that from exodus?you do realise that exodus was so that isreal was free to serve YHWH and be the light unto the gentiles.

Watching Abraham's Back

†. Ex 2:23 . . During that long period

The "long period" extended from Moses' flight from Egypt to the burning bush incident; which according to Stephen was forty years (Acts 7:30). So at this point in his life Moses was eighty.

One of the responsibilities of a priest is to disseminate the knowledge of God to their constituents; so it's my guess that Moses' father-in-law utilized those forty years to bring Moses up to speed because it's highly unlikely the universities of Egypt included yeshiva for Jews. Moses was aware of his people's God; but I suspect didn't know enough about Yhvh to fill a napkin when he arrived in Midian. Poor Reuel really had his work cut out for him.

†. Ex 2:23-25 . .The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.

Abraham's covenant has saved his progeny's bacon on more than one occasion. (e.g. Ex 32:9-14, Deut 9:4-5, Deut 9:6-8)

†. Ex 3:1 . . Now Moses was pasturing the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian; and he led the flock to the west side of the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.

A lordly occupation for he who at one time was a pampered prince in a Pharaoh's palace.

I'm told, on good authority, that the "west side" in that verse wasn't a compass point. It was sort of like a clock direction; e.g. twelve o'clock high. In other words; in clock-speak: twelve o'clock is to your front no matter which direction on the compass you might be facing. Thus six o'clock is directly behind you, three o'clock is to your right, and nine o'clock is to your left.

So in pasture-speak, north is straight ahead no matter which direction on the compass you might be facing. In point of fact, it's very possible that the peak of Mt. Horeb was the designated "north" reference as viewed from the doorway of Reuel's home. I know that's too weird; but what the hey: if it worked for the ancients; well then, more power to them.

Mt. Horeb is thought to be located in the southern district of the Sinai peninsula, westward on a compass from the Gulf of Aqaba. Apparently, not all of Sinai is a torrid desert like the Sahara. I've never been there but am told there are places (at least there was in Moses' day anyway) where there's good grass certain times of the year.

The designation "mountain of God" is more likely the mountain of the gods since Arabs of that day regarded the location as a sacred site. "God" is an arbitrary editorial translation since 'elohiym is ambiguous and indicates any number of deities, including the supreme one.

Well, anyway enough of that. It's time now for Moses' very first close encounter of a third kind with the supreme being that Reuel has been carrying on about. One thing the encounter is going to accomplish is prove to Moses that his people's god isn't just another cultural myth conjured up by smoking mushrooms; but rather, an honest to gosh real-life personage who can really shake, rattle, and roll.

Buen Camino
/

The God Of The Living

†. Ex 3:1-2 . .There the angel of Yhvh appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up.

Had that event occurred in California's Cleveland National Forest I can assure you Moses wouldn't have entertained himself watching that bush go up in flames. Down there, chaparral fires cause serious losses of life and property; and people move fast to get them put them out as quick as possible.

This particular bush may have been a species of acacia-- a thorny bush which when dry and brittle, burns furiously sort of like the American tumble weed. God couldn't have picked a better way to draw Moses' attention as he would have known from 40 years experience in that region that acacia is far, far from fire resistant. But though the bush appeared to rage out of control; which was to be expected, Moses noticed that it wasn't damaged. In point of fact; the normally powder-keg acacia was just as unscathed as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the super-heated furnace of the third chapter of Daniel.

Moses' age at the time of this event was 80 (Acts 7:23 + Acts 7:30). In all that time; this was his very first close encounter of a third kind with Israel's god. Well; I don't know about you, but it would have raised the hair on the back of my neck; so I really don't think Moses took this encounter in stride; and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that his knees actually became weak when a voice out of the flaming bush spoke his name so loud and clear that it was impossible to mistake it for the wind.

†. Ex 3:3-4 . . So Moses thought: I will go over and see this strange sight-- why the bush does not burn up. When Yhvh saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from within the bush: Moses! Moses! And Moses said: Here I am.

That so reminds me of role call in the Army. When they called out our names; we shouted back with: Here! which is just the same as "here I am" except concise.

Incidentally, Christ utilized this event to show that the spirit birth about which he spoke in John 3:3-8 isn't restricted to New Testament believers.

†. Mrk 12:26-27 . . But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying? "I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

The patriarchs were all deceased in Moses' day and to this day none of them have returned. However, though their bodies were, and are, lifeless, it's incorrect to say of them that they are "dead" men. Thus resurrection takes place in two distinct stages: one here and now for a man's spirit, and later one for his body. His spirit resurrection (a.k.a. spirit birth) takes place in this life before he passes on.

†. John 5:24-26 . . I assure you, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

Jesus said nothing new in his statement. It was just as valid in the Old Testament as it is now in the New; which is why he said at John 3:3-8 that nobody-- no exceptions --is getting into the kingdom of God without they first undergo spirit birth; and the very fact that God reckons the patriarchs alive rather than dead, is infallible proof that they were all born again.

How was it that the patriarchs were able to believe in Christ before he was even born? Easy. In every major English translation of 1Pet 1:10-12, the spirit of Christ was active in all the prophets; which included Abel (Luke 11:50-51), Enoch (Jude 1:14), Noah. (2Pet 2:5), and Abraham (Gen 20:7).

Buen Camino
/

At first glance, one might think that God called his name twice. But one who studies Torah knows that whenever Scripture repeats itself, the 2nd inference doesn't mean the same thing as the first. Meaning, there are no idle words! Moses heard TWO DISTINCT VOICES: the Father and the Son.

Where's Your Manners?

†. Ex 3:5b . .Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.

The Hebrew word for "holy" is qodesh (ko'-desh) which has no reference whatsoever to sanitation. It simply means consecrated; viz: a sacred place or thing dedicated to God for God's own purposes; for example:

†. Isa 6:1-3 . . In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw 'Adonay seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were hovering. And they were calling to one another: Holy, Holy, Holy is Yhvh Almighty!

At the border check point between North and South Korea, the American guards stand facing across the border, while North Korea's guards stand facing each other. Why? It's so the guards can keep an eye on each other in case one or the other attempts to defect.

The seraphs yell at each other; reminding one another, so that neither forgets, that the personage seated on the throne is unique in that he has been authorized by God to be called Yhvh, plus; consecrated by God to rule; not just men, but angels too. In other words; the seraphs remind each other that the one seated on the throne below them is their superior by authority of God rather than by popular vote.

†. 1Pet 3:21-22 . . Jesus Christ has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand-- with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

While the seraphs remind each other; the Lord's followers are to take the initiative to remind themselves without having to be told.

†. 1Pet 3:15 . . Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts

The ancient Greek word for "sanctify" is hagiazo; which means: to make holy.

Note: Thank goodness people in church aren't required to yell 1Pet 3:15 at each other or they'd not only drown out the choir, but also interfere with the pastor's sermon.

Anyway, getting back to Moses: there's only two incidents in the entire Old Testament where men were required to go shoeless on consecrated ground-- here in Ex 3:5 and at Josh 5:15. I'll take a stab at it and just simply interpret the shoeless requirement as plain old good manners. In other words; in many homes in the Orient; the custom is to remove your shoes before entering people's domicile because shoes track in filth from the outside that hosts want neither in their homes nor on their floors and rugs. True, holy ground is dirt; but it's God's dirt, and apparently He doesn't want somebody else's dirt soiling His: thank you very much.

Buen Camino
/

Who's Your Daddy?

†. Ex 3:6 . .Then he said: I am the god of your father

It's not all that easy to determine which of Moses' ancestors God meant by "your father" seeing as how the word is singular rather than plural. We could conceivably trace Moses' lineage all the way back to Adam, but personally I would stop short with Shem because it was he who fathered the Jews.

†. Gen 10:21 . . Shem was the ancestor of all the sons of Eber.

Eber's progeny are called `Ibriy (ib-ree') which is the word for "Hebrew". Abraham was an 'Ibriy. (Gen 14:13)

Shem was one of Noah's two good sons who took the initiative to cover the nakedness of their drunken dad with a robe at Gen 9:20-23.

Yhvh was clearly Shem's god.

†. Gen 9:26 . . Noah said: Blessed be Yhvh, the god of Shem!

So in my armchair opinion, Shem is a best candidate for the title of "your father" at Ex 3:6

Buen Camino
/

Don't look! unless invited.

†. Ex 3:6 . . Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

The Hebrew word for "hid" means to conceal by covering; which Moses probably accomplished by pulling a Bedouin hoody up and over his head while lowering his gaze and turning to the side.

The word for "afraid" is a bit ambiguous. It can mean either reverence or fright. My vote is on reverence because typically when God scares the Bible's holy men, they're usually told to "fear not".

In some kingdoms of the ancient Orient, it was rude to look directly at potentates. The careless risked a bag over their heads by beefy guards standing by for such an event. Anyway; the custom may have been something Moses picked up in Pharaoh's palace.

Personally I would have covered up and looked away just in case God was fixing to throw something at me for standing there gawking at Him. For example, when Shem and Japheth were told their dad was drunk and naked, they didn't rush into his bedroom for a chance to see him that way before he woke up. No; they grabbed a cloak to cover him and walked in backwards so they wouldn't see him in such a compromising state. You just never know about God. Maybe He's sensitive. If so, then we all need to respect His feelings just the same as we'd respect anybody else's feelings about being stared at.

Buen Camino
/

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back