Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Speed Of Time

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
L

loved1

It seems that the time has been moving so faster. It's as if there is not enough time during the day. God is going to speed up the time before His return. The months are going by so very fast. An hour goes by so swiftly. Jesus Christ coming is near.

Donna

E=MC². Energy equals Matter times the speed of light squared. On our Earth, 186,000 miles per second. Time is measured by the speed of light. It is a constant for everyone observing traveling at the same speed. The Creator made the universe 13.7 billion years ago. Jesus was made 2000 years ago. 2000 is to 13.7 billion as 1 inch is to 20 miles.

loved1 said:
It seems that the time has been moving so faster. It's as if there is not enough time during the day. God is going to speed up the time before His return. The months are going by so very fast. An hour goes by so swiftly. Jesus Christ coming is near.

Donna
I don't know how old you are, Donna, but it is known that as we get older, our 'perception' of time changes. Older folk like myself perceive time to be going by faster, even though it's measurement is a constant, as we know it to be.

loved1 said:

Donna
Umm...where in Scripture is time speeding up a sign of Christ's return?

I can tell you where it is, but you won't believe it. Well, neither do I. :lol

Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Vic C. said:

Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
I'm at a loss for words. Well played, sir. :lol

I think it's called relativity. Hard to fathom, but Einstein's discoveries in physics show the probability that the speed of light is not always a constant.

If an object was travelling at the speed of light, and then accelerated another object relative to forward motion, the second object would be going faster than the speed of light. So the speed of light factor might actually be like how science keeps trying to discover the smallest particle of matter, only to keep discovering further smaller units.

veteran said:
I think it's called relativity. Hard to fathom, but Einstein's discoveries in physics show the probability that the speed of light is not always a constant.
Sorry to disappoint you, veteran, but Einstein showed just the contrary: the speed of light is a constant in vacuum. Here is the source for all the fancy calculations of which probably the Twin Paradox is the most famous. For the mathematics involved, Einstein utilized the so called Lorentz transformations.

If an object was travelling at the speed of light, and then accelerated another object relative to forward motion, the second object would be going faster than the speed of light. So the speed of light factor might actually be like how science keeps trying to discover the smallest particle of matter, only to keep discovering further smaller units.
Problem is objects don't travel at the speed of light, only massless photons do.

As for this hypothetical speed of time, as proposed in the OP, it would be a dimentionless quantity and it would have the value 1 everywhere. For the speed of time would be, say, 1 sec / sec, 1 day / day, and so on. It's hard to imagine what kind of use it would have in physics.

Cool. I don't recall what book it was, but it was one of those for dummies type book about Einstein's theories. I'm thinking that example was about 'general relativity', which it's my understanding that Einstein wasn't the original owner of the idea.

Time is a very elusive concept. Some researchers say it's not even real and we only think it is. Why is the present so special? We cannot travel back to the past, we cannot leap forward to the future. We are forever to live in the now. Does this now have duration? If so, it would have its own past and future, which is preposterous. If not, how can we perceive anything in this dimentionless blink of the eye? And apart from perception, how can anything exist at all if the present is of zero length? Doesn't it seem like there is not enough time in the present?

Do we have to conclude that time itself is an illusion?

loved1 said:

Donna
Well, the older we get the faster time passes, so it seems.
But if you are referring to a scripture passage or verse, please share it, I would like to see it.

veteran said:

Yes, but then we wouldn't notice the difference, its all relative.

Sakari said:
Time is a very elusive concept. Some researchers say it's not even real and we only think it is. Why is the present so special? We cannot travel back to the past, we cannot leap forward to the future. We are forever to live in the now. Does this now have duration? If so, it would have its own past and future, which is preposterous. If not, how can we perceive anything in this dimentionless blink of the eye? And apart from perception, how can anything exist at all if the present is of zero length? Doesn't it seem like there is not enough time in the present?

Do we have to conclude that time itself is an illusion?

We're constantly travelling into the future. I don't think the present is really any more special than 'here' is during a journey through space (not necessarily space space, a journey down the road for example). It is real, just the same as space/distance is. The future is what you can see in front of you while you're travelling down the road, the past is what you can see behind you. We don't really live forever in the 'now' anymore than we live forever in the 'here' do we?
Talking of which, am I right in thinking that if you travel at the speed of light, you get to wherever you're going instantaneously, because in your frame of reference you experience infinite time dilation?

loved1 said:

Donna

The speed of time isn't speeding up in physical terms. It's the same as it ever was and will continue to be.

But I do believe that many of us think that it is speeding up. Our perception is that 'time flies' and that 'there aren't enough hours in the day'. Humans have never been as busy before in history. How many of us wish we just had an extra hour in the day to get all our chores and jobs done? I certainly would. Taking the kids to school, travelling to work (which for many people can take hours), working (which can go very slowly admittedly :sad ) travelling home, cooking dinner, speaking to family and friends on email, phone etc, putting the kids to bed and by the time all this has happened its the end of the day and we start all over again in the morning.

In comparison, only a few hundred years ago most worked in the same area in which they lived and had far less complications than us regarding how they spent their time.

For us, time isnt necessarily speeding up in reality but for many, their perception is that it is....

ProphetMark said:
(...)Talking of which, am I right in thinking that if you travel at the speed of light, you get to wherever you're going instantaneously, because in your frame of reference you experience infinite time dilation?

Yes, from the traveler's own vantage point, this would be the case. Of course, observers other than this traveler, would "see" him moving at the speed of light, not at infinite speed. Again, problem is that the speed of light cannot be reached by anyone or anything having mass.

If photons could think and learn, they would "know" absolutely everything. We cannot possibly know how God perceives the universe, but I have a vague idea that it is something like knowing "everything without delay", like the photons would if they had the ability.

Vic C. said:

That passage of late has been used by some Christians to justify less than a seven-year tribulation. The 7 year idea of course started with the passage in Leviticus about Israel being punished "7 times". In Daniel we have that famous last "week" of years. The week is divided into two parts and we see the numbers time, times and the diving of time, 42 months, 1260, 1290 and 1335 floating all over Daniel and Revelation.

I don't make the shortening of the Tribulation a major doctrinal issue, as there is still a Time of Trouble whether it is short or long. It's sort of like the rapture issue. Some believe before, some after, some in between and some not at all (at least in the manner it is usually depicted). Again, that's like asking if we are going to get on the bus before or after the traffic jam. But at least we're getting on the bus.

What I do consider major doctrinal points is the Tribulation itself, the Man of Sin, the gathering of Israel, Christ's Second Coming to take the throne, the defeat of this worldly system culminated in Antichrist, and the future Kingdom of God to usher in His rule instead of man's.

That passage of late has been used by some Christians to justify less than a seven-year tribulation. The 7 year idea of course started with the passage in Leviticus about Israel being punished "7 times". In Daniel we have that famous last "week" of years. The week is divided into two parts and we see the numbers time, times and the diving of time, 42 months, 1260, 1290 and 1335 floating all over Daniel and Revelation.
:lol I would have never thought or heard of that, or would I have used it if I had. I'm convicted to believe that Daniel 9 has nothing to do with a future seven year period. I'm pretty certain that once you take Dan.9 out of the equation, the whole future seven year tribulation period falls to the wayside.

But we digress. :yes

Vic C. said:
:lol I would have never thought or heard of that, or would I have used it if I had. I'm convicted to believe that Daniel 9 has nothing to do with a future seven year period. I'm pretty certain that once you take Dan.9 out of the equation, the whole future seven year tribulation period falls to the wayside.

But we digress. :yes

Well, Vic. I know of one group that teaches that about Matthew, and they believe in a 5 month tribulation. I'll cut you a clue. Same ones that deal with Serpent Seed doctrine.

I'm traditional "7 year" and much like what E. W. Bullinger believes, I also believe there was a long fulfillment of that to Israel (7 X 360 days)=2520 days and then one day to a year or 2520 years. And then the literal 2520 days or short fulfillment in the tribulation. But I digress playing with numbers. :biggrin

Yep, that's it. But in all fairness, I am friends with two such people. One woman on another forum, and a woman that goes to our church. I can't be lead to believe in 5 months because the math in the bible is clearly there for the 7 years. On another line of thought, I can't see how anyone can come up with that number (5 months) on their own. Or I should say that nobody else comes up with it on their own without the help of a certain (for want of a better word) "Shepherd". I find the person so mathematically (and astronomically) ignorant that it's not funny, not to mention the smugness that goes with the ignorance like he's onto something that someone else isn't. I would be ashamed of looking like a fool if I even thought to follow such teaching.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back