Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The True Meaning of Glorification

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
C

cgaviria

Hello fellow believers in Jesus Christ, I would like to open a discussion with this study,

Not many people understand what glory or to be glorified means. Lets first look at this verse,
There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory. (1 Corinthians 15:41 [ESV])

The Greek word for glory is "doxa", which has several definitions, "honor, renown, and splendor". Splendor is the definition of interest for this particular study on glory. The glory of something is something that radiates light, hence splendor. What do the sun, moon, and stars all have in common? They radiate light. So therefore, something, or someone that has been glorified, is something or someone that then begins to radiate light. An example of one man that was glorified was actually Moses,
And as Moses went down from mount Sinai, even the two tablets were upon the hands of Moses. And in his going down from the mountain, even Moses did not know that the appearance of the complexion of his face was glorified in his speaking to him. (Exodus 34:29 [ABP])

When Moses spoke to God at Mount Sinai, his face then began to radiate light. This light that shone from his face, was the light that Aaron and the sons of Israel saw, and were even afraid of Moses,
And Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses; and he was being glorified in the appearance of the complexion of his face. And they feared to approach him. (Exodus 34:30 [ABP])

Next, Jesus also said this,
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. (John 17:5 [NIV])

So at what point in the beginning did Jesus have this glory that radiates light before the world began? When he uttered these words,
And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. (Genesis 1:3 [NIV])

This light came from himself, as the luminaries in the heaven hadn't yet been created till the 4th day to give light upon the earth, so he himself literally began radiating this light that he brought forth into existence, hence why he also says,
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12 [NIV])

He literally became the light of the world, which is the glory he had before the world began. In the John 17:5 verse, he also states, "glorify me in your presence", which means, make me "radiate light" in your presence just as it was before the world began. So when did Jesus begin radiating light after his resurrection? Lets first look at this verse,
Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" (John 7:39 [NIV])

So at this point in speaking with Mary, he had not yet ascended to the Father. And then we also read in this verse,
By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. (John 7:39 [NIV])

In this verse we can see that the holy spirit was given after Jesus was glorified. The last sighting of Jesus before he ascended was here,
After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." (Acts 1:9 [NIV])

And then in the John 17:5 we read, "glorify me in your presence", and Jesus could've only been in his presence of the Father after he ascended to him. So therefore, the glorification of Jesus occurred after he ascended to the Father. This then coincides with,
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7 [NIV])

It was when he ascended to heaven to the Father, he was thus glorified, he then sent forth holy spirit. So the whole time that Jesus was with the disciples after his resurrection and before his ascension, they had not yet seen his new glory of radiating light on his new body. As even the transfiguration of Jesus was not when he was glorified, because the transfiguration was merely a vision, hence,
And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.” (Matthew 17:9 [NIV])

This glory that he received that radiates light is the same glory that the world will witness when he comes back,
"Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. (Matthew 24:30 [NIV])

Now, this glorification of radiating light is similar to the glorification that those who are saved at his coming will also receive, as it is said,
Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear. (Matthew 13:43 [NIV])

Yet we do not know how exactly each of us will be, as even in 1 John we read,
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2 [NIV])

And then Paul affirms when speaking concerning the new body of the resurrection,
But someone will ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?" How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body. (1 Corinthians 15:35-38 [NIV])

So just as we do not know how big or small a plant will be from the seed we plant, so is the resurrection of the dead, we plant a seed now, yet what body we are given and it's measure of glory, will be determined by God. After this passage, is when he goes on to mention the different glories of the heaven in relation to the new bodies of the resurrection.

Last edited by a moderator:
The glory of something is something that radiates light, hence splendor. What do the sun, moon, and stars all have in common? They radiate light. So therefore, something, or someone that has been glorified, is something or someone that then begins to radiate light.

I'll have to agree with you on this. Light and splendor.

Isaiah 40:3-5 A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground will become level, and rugged places a plain. And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

In Revelation, John sees someone like "the son of man". It looks like he is describing an object that is entering the earth's atmosphere at a high rate of speed.

Revelation 1:14-16 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

This is just one aspect of the glory. I was just putting an additional take on it.

I love these verses you quoted, Isaiah 40:3-5 and Revelation 1:14-16. I am going to use them as well in this study. Thank you :)

I'll have to agree with you on this. Light and splendor.

Isaiah 40:3-5 A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground will become level, and rugged places a plain. And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

In Revelation, John sees someone like "the son of man". It looks like he is describing an object that is entering the earth's atmosphere at a high rate of speed.

Revelation 1:14-16 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

This is just one aspect of the glory. I was just putting an additional take on it.

I love these verses you quoted, Isaiah 40:3-5 and Revelation 1:14-16. I am going to use them as well in this study. Thank you :)

Here is a scripture that pertains to the glorified you are speaking of.

Romans 8:29-30 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Here is a scripture that pertains to the glorified you are speaking of.

Romans 8:29-30 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

This is great, thank you!

This thread is a Bible study by the OP's own description so I am moving it to the Bible Study forum.

Hello fellow believers in Jesus Christ, I would like to open a discussion with this study,

Not many people understand what glory or to be glorified means. Lets first look at this verse,

The Greek word for glory is "doxa", which has several definitions, "honor, renown, and splendor". Splendor is the definition of interest for this particular study on glory. The glory of something is something that radiates light, hence splendor. What do the sun, moon, and stars all have in common? They radiate light. So therefore, something, or someone that has been glorified, is something or someone that then begins to radiate light. An example of one man that was glorified was actually Moses,

When Moses spoke to God at Mount Sinai, his face then began to radiate light. This light that shone from his face, was the light that Aaron and the sons of Israel saw, and were even afraid of Moses,

Next, Jesus also said this,

So at what point in the beginning did Jesus have this glory that radiates light before the world began? When he uttered these words,

This light came from himself, as the luminaries in the heaven hadn't yet been created till the 4th day to give light upon the earth, so he himself literally began radiating this light that he brought forth into existence, hence why he also says,

He literally became the light of the world, which is the glory he had before the world began. In the John 17:5 verse, he also states, "glorify me in your presence", which means, make me "radiate light" in your presence just as it was before the world began. So when did Jesus begin radiating light after his resurrection? Lets first look at this verse,

So at this point in speaking with Mary, he had not yet ascended to the Father. And then we also read in this verse,

In this verse we can see that the holy spirit was given after Jesus was glorified. The last sighting of Jesus before he ascended was here,

And then in the John 17:5 we read, "glorify me in your presence", and Jesus could've only been in his presence of the Father after he ascended to him. So therefore, the glorification of Jesus occurred after he ascended to the Father. This then coincides with,

It was when he ascended to heaven to the Father, he was thus glorified, he then sent forth holy spirit. So the whole time that Jesus was with the disciples after his resurrection and before his ascension, they had not yet seen his new glory of radiating light on his new body. As even the transfiguration of Jesus was not when he was glorified, because the transfiguration was merely a vision, hence,

This glory that he received that radiates light is the same glory that the world will witness when he comes back,

Now, this glorification of radiating light is similar to the glorification that those who are saved at his coming will also receive, as it is said,

Yet we do not know how exactly each of us will be, as even in 1 John we read,

And then Paul affirms when speaking concerning the new body of the resurrection,

So just as we do not know how big or small a plant will be from the seed we plant, so is the resurrection of the dead, we plant a seed now, yet what body we are given and it's measure of glory, will be determined by God. After this passage, is when he goes on to mention the different glories of the heaven in relation to the new bodies of the resurrection.

I like your thread very much cgaviria. I had studied God's Glory in the past and what you have written has brought back those wonderful meanings, thank you. I'm wondering what you think of John 20:22 since you're speaking about the giving of the Holy Spirit. It appears that the Disciples received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit before Pentecost which enforces IMO that Pentecost was a Baptism IN the Holy Spirit, not an indwelling. What think thee?

I like your thread very much cgaviria. I had studied God's Glory in the past and what you have written has brought back those wonderful meanings, thank you. I'm wondering what you think of John 20:22 since you're speaking about the giving of the Holy Spirit. It appears that the Disciples received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit before Pentecost which enforces IMO that Pentecost was a Baptism IN the Holy Spirit, not an indwelling. What think thee?

Baptism in holy spirit and indwelling of holy spirit is the very same thing. Holy spirit is in fact a possession of the body by a spirit, but one that is holy. Just as there are unclean spirits, such as demons, that can take possession of the body and cause various forms of craziness and complete loss of control of self, so in likewise manner there are spirits that are holy, that sanctify the body, and cause it to follow after God. Our bodies were designed to be inhabited by spirits, which is why we "breath air", because these spirits, are made of "air", and thus able to enter into the body through our breath because they themselves are made of air. And not just our bodies, but also the bodies of animals as well, because they also breath in air. I have a study on this matter I was going to post at some point explaining the scriptural proofs behind this, but I'm just giving you the condensed summary on this matter.

Baptism in holy spirit and indwelling of holy spirit is the very same thing. Holy spirit is in fact a possession of the body by a spirit, but one that is holy. Just as there are unclean spirits, such as demons, that can take possession of the body and cause various forms of craziness and complete loss of control of self, so in likewise manner there are spirits that are holy, that sanctify the body, and cause it to follow after God. Our bodies were designed to be inhabited by spirits, which is why we "breath air", because these spirits, are made of "air", and thus able to enter into the body through our breath because they themselves are made of air. And not just our bodies, but also the bodies of animals as well, because they also breath in air. I have a study on this matter I was going to post at some point explaining the scriptural proofs behind this, but I'm just giving you the condensed summary on this matter.

Actually I apologize for changing the subject, the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is another study. I don't want to derail this thread.

I've not heard this before "Our bodies were designed to be inhabited by spirits, which is why we "breath air" what would be the purpose of being inhabited by so many spirits? don't know an exact figure on how many breaths we take each day but it has to be in the 1,000's thousands and thousands of spirits in and out in and out, I'm not sure i understand?

Jhn 8:12 - Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1Jo 2:8 - Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
1Jo 2:9 - He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
1Jo 2:10 - He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
1Jo 2:11 - But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

Rev 22:16 - I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

I've not heard this before "Our bodies were designed to be inhabited by spirits, which is why we "breath air" what would be the purpose of being inhabited by so many spirits? don't know an exact figure on how many breaths we take each day but it has to be in the 1,000's thousands and thousands of spirits in and out in and out, I'm not sure i understand?

Yes, you are not understanding the meaning of this. Our bodies breath in air, which allows a spirit, who is itself made of air, to enter into the body. These spirits are either angels or demons. All demons are evil, and have a different origin than angels, and not all angels are holy, as it is said that a third of the angels are indeed fallen. So either of these two, can enter into the body as a spirit. Angels can themselves take different forms other than a spirit, such as human body forms, or forms of fire, yet spirit is one of them, and spirit is a form of "air", and we can see this evident in this psalm and all throughout scripture,
the one making his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire; (Psalms 104:4 [ABP])
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation? (Hebrews 1:14 [NIV])

The Greek word for spirits is "pneumata", which means "breath, wind" in the plural. So these beings, when they take the form of a spirit made of air, can then enter into vessels that breath in air, such as humans, or even animals. Us breathing constantly doesn't imply we breath in a spirit each time we breath, what it means that since we are constantly inhaling, can a spirit then enter into the body when we inhale, and thus take possession of the body. This isn't something that is commonly taught, as many do not understand how spirits operate and why they are made of air, and why we breath in air to live. These are all things that have been designed by God for different purposes.

If you are inhabited by any other than the Holy Spirit , you have a PROBLEM !!!

Correct, you don't want an unholy spirit dwelling inside of you, that would indeed be a big problem that is difficult to get rid of, as unclean spirits can indeed come back if they are cast out, and with more unclean spirits, if the body does not quickly become inhabited by a holy spirit to protect it.

2 Corinthians 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with every-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Lots of glory going on in this scripture. I love this scripture, because it shows that believers indwelt with the Spirit are being transformed into the likeness of Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:5 You are all sons of the light and sons of the day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back