Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Truth About Easter

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: deeper

ttg said:
reznwerks said:
ttg said:
If your point is for Christians not to celebrate the resurection of our Savior, I don't think you're going to talk many people here out of it.

If you think colored eggs, candy and fluffy bunnies are evil, then I suggest you stay away from them.
The deeper question is if you use colored eggs , candy and fluffy bunnies on Easter are you really celebrating the resurection of your Savior? Secondly the bible no where commands you to celebrate Easter. Now that you know that and you know of Easters pagan traditions what will you be doing on Sunday?

Colored eggs are a sign of rebirth and renewal. Frankly I don't what pagans used them for, don't care and am not worried in the least. If they copyrighted them and said they could only be used in pagan services, well I never got the memo.

As a Deputy Sheriff I'll be working a 12 hr shift Easter Sunday protecting people's rights to say things like Easter eggs are bad.

Why can't coloring eggs just be ART or a fun activity that kids enjoy? Why must people think that coloring eggs has to signify something? We just got finished coloring eggs because it's FUN. Not because I ever thought that it signified anything.
:-?

It just irks me at the way everyone is always trying to find something bad in EVERYTHING!!! It's the same discussions every single holiday......

Easter

ttg said:
I didn't realize how closely this thread tied into the "Easter can't be on a Sunday 'cause the days don't add up" thread until I did some research on it. Turns out a lot of preachers tie these two subjects together. And unfortunately some people will believe them.

Look TTG all you have to do is ask yourself why Easter falls on different days every year. The answer is that is coincides with the spring equinox which is a pagan tradition. Passover is a celebration of the "passing over" but it to corresponds to the spring equinox because they followed the Babylonian calender.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter2.htm

Nikki said:
[

Why can't coloring eggs just be ART or a fun activity that kids enjoy? Why must people think that coloring eggs has to signify something? We just got finished coloring eggs because it's FUN. Not because I ever thought that it signified anything.

It just irks me at the way everyone is always trying to find something bad in EVERYTHING!!! It's the same discussions every single holiday......
I thought for sure you would be getting the ham ready by now.

reznwerks said:
Nikki said:
[

I thought for sure you would be getting the ham ready by now.

Ham? You mean ham as in PORK? I can already smell the bacon! :tongue

Actually, I'm not cooking tomorrow. I'm picking up one of my residents from work and taking her to church with me (she has no family and hasn't left the facility since she got there months ago). Then I have to take her back and head to my in-laws where we will have a meal there. Not sure what she's having yet though.

Re: Easter

reznwerks said:
ttg said:
I didn't realize how closely this thread tied into the "Easter can't be on a Sunday 'cause the days don't add up" thread until I did some research on it. Turns out a lot of preachers tie these two subjects together. And unfortunately some people will believe them.

Look TTG all you have to do is ask yourself why Easter falls on different days every year. The answer is that is coincides with the spring equinox which is a pagan tradition. Passover is a celebration of the "passing over" but it to corresponds to the spring equinox because they followed the Babylonian calender.

It always falls on a Sunday. Or do you mean it falls on a different DATE?

And the first day of Spring this year was March 20th, almost four weeks ago.
Since everybody recognizes the different seasons, is every one a pagan?

At the First Council of Nicaea in 325 it was decided that Easter would be celebrated on the same Sunday throughout the Church, but it is probable that no method was specified by the Council. (No contemporary account of the Council's decisions has survived.) Instead, the matter seems to have been referred to the church of Alexandria, which city had the best reputation for scholarship at the time. The Catholic Epiphanius wrote in the mid-4th Century, "...the emperor...convened a council of 318 bishops...in the city of Nicea...They passed certain ecclesiastical canons at the council besides, and at the same time decreed in regard to the Passover that there must be one unanimous concord on the celebration of God's holy and supremely excellent day. For it was variously observed by people..."(Epiphanius. The Panarion of Epiphanius of Salamis, Books II and III (Sects 47-80), De Fide). Section VI, Verses 1,1 and 1,3. Translated by Frank Williams. EJ Brill, New York, 1994, pp.471-472).

Pagan Easter traditions, along with Christmas celebrations, were among the first casualties of the Protestant Reformation. These holidays were eventually restored (though Christmas remains an ordinary working day in the Netherlands, and only became a legal holiday in Scotland in 1967, after the Church of Scotland finally relaxed its objections). Some Christians (usually but not always fundamentalists), however, continue to reject the celebration of Easter (and, often, of Christmas), because they believe them to be irrevocably tainted with paganism and idolatry.

That is the view of Jehovah's Witnesses, who instead observe "The Memorial" - that is, a commemoration of the Last Supper on the evening of 15 Nisan (which they call the evening of 14 Nisan), as they calculate it. Jehovah's Witnesses also do not celebrate Christmas, Pentecost, Epiphany, Halloween, New Year's Day, or birthdays, because there is no commandment in the Bible for such occasions to be celebrated - whereas there is a commandment to remember the death of Christ.

Some of today's Baptists (those formerly known as Anabaptists, and not part of the Protestant Reformation) maintain that Easter and Christmas are of pagan origins. As such, these celebrations were originally designed to worship pagan gods, and therefore are an abomination to God. To these Baptists, the Holy Bible contains the only set of instructions acceptable to God for His worship.

Other groups, such as the Sabbatarian Church of God, claim to keep the feasts and commandments of God given in the Bible, which includes a Christian Passover that lacks most of the practices or symbols associated with Easter and retains more features of the Passover observed by Jesus Christ at The Last Supper.

I'm not denying that there are those who claim pagan roots in the Easter celebration. I'm just saying they are wrong.

Re: Easter

ttg said:
reznwerks said:
ttg said:

It always falls on a Sunday. Or do you mean it falls on a different DATE?
Sometimes Easter is in April sometimes in March.It is all based on the Gregorian and Julian calenders of which the position of the moon is it at the time. Clearly a pagan observance. Actually Easter was incorporated as a Christian holiday in order to appease the pagans of which they ruled over. It was a political move.

And the first day of Spring this year was March 20th, almost four weeks ago.
Since everybody recognizes the different seasons, is every one a pagan?
The definition of pagan can be very broad and open to ones own definition. If you are a strict biblical literalist then Easter should probably not be observed since no where is it stated in the bible that it should and early Christians did not. That would be a starting point from which you choose to observe the holiday without indulging in the typical traditions to observing the traditions and observing the holiday as it has evolved.

Nikki said:
[

That is exactly what I mean and don't forget the raisin sauce.

reznwerks said:
Nikki said:
[

That is exactly what I mean and don't forget the raisin sauce.

Raisin sauce? Ewwww....

I was pretty bummed today. No ham. Booooo!!! We had meatloaf and turkey instead.

Isn't it amazing that God CAN take things that may have been originally of the devil and turn them to HIS glory! Our God is so cool!

reznwerks said:
ttg said:
If your point is for Christians not to celebrate the resurection of our Savior, I don't think you're going to talk many people here out of it.

If you think colored eggs, candy and fluffy bunnies are evil, then I suggest you stay away from them.
The deeper question is if you use colored eggs , candy and fluffy bunnies on Easter are you really celebrating the resurection of your Savior? Secondly the bible no where commands you to celebrate Easter. Now that you know that and you know of Easters pagan traditions what will you be doing on Sunday?
Um, I went to service as I like to do on Sunday morning, then it was "business as usual". I don't do the "traditional" thing... but I have know of this for years anyway.

It is true that many either do not know of the origins or choose to ignore them. Most of my family look at me as though I'm from a different planet when I tell them of this stuff. I get from them things like, "how do you know that's true?" or "why would the church (RCC) continue these things if they know this to be true?"

:o

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back