Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Two Gospels

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Cornelius

There are two gospels:

We either believe that Jesus only brought us "Fire-insurance" against going to Hell and His only purpose is to get us to heaven.

or

We believe the Gospel has power NOW. Not only in heaven.We believe Christ in us, is in us for a reason NOW. We believe that Jesus took the curse away NOW. We believe that we have an inheritance in Christ, where all the promises are YES (IN Him). We believe that Christ must manifest in us on this planet, we believe in holiness without which no one shall see the Lord. We believe in sanctification . This gospel allows us to rule over the curse. This planet is our training ground, where God is raising up sons, not just getting them to heaven, but moulding them , through death to self, into the very image of His Son Jesus.
In this Gospel, we believe we must bear fruit, the fruit = Christ.

We should all know which gospel we believe in, because only one of them has eternity with God as the destination.

Why should any believer answer a loaded question like that? I already gave a rebuttal to that anyway in the original thread it was posted.

When you can properly define what all is included in The Gospel of Jesus Christ per God's Word, then you might can ask that kind of question. But at present, based on your question, it shows that's not the case.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ also includes the end of this present world age with all knees bowing to Christ as LORD. That's about God's consuming fire coming upon this earth to end this present world, and is hard-linked with Christ's bodily return to this earth. I don't see any of that in 'your' idea of The Gospel.

Really confused.
I can see buying into gospel A out of simply being a make-believer...ie just 'accepted jesus' out of fear (small 'j' was intentional, not the real Lord someone is coming to in many cases) but are never actually converted....but I think most of us have seen this in our lives.

Where my confusion comes in is in reading veterans response, Im wondering if Im missing something...or if this is a continuation from some other discussion ?
:)

follower of Christ said:
Really confused.
I can see buying into gospel A out of simply being a make-believer...ie just 'accepted jesus' out of fear (small 'j' was intentional, not the real Lord someone is coming to in many cases) but are never actually converted....but I think most of us have seen this in our lives.

Where my confusion comes in is in reading veterans response, Im wondering if Im missing something...or if this is a continuation from some other discussion ?
:)

He answered in the Preterists threat in Bible Studies, but I also do not understand his antagonism to this thread (threat?)

Cornelius,

The balance of thought and understanding in regard to what you are saying is testified, in its simplicity, in the witness of the Spirit to us in John's witness.

1 John 2:1-2
2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
KJV

1 John 2:12-14
12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. KJV

Little children and forgiveness bears fruit 30 fold.
Young men and overcoming the wicked one bears fruit 60 fold.
Fathers and knowing him that is from the beginning bears fruit 100 fold.

Our Lord said to suffer the little children to come to him.
Our Lord sent our young men to witness.
Our Lord preserved John as a witness to us of a father.

It is good to be forgiven. It is much more to overcome the wicked one. It is best of all to be a father to both the little children and the young men.

Joe

Cornelius said:
He answered in the Preterists threat in Bible Studies, but I also do not understand his antagonism to this thread (threat?)
I see.
It seemed like something was missing :lol

Joe67 said:
Cornelius,

The balance of thought and understanding in regard to what you are saying is testified, in its simplicity, in the witness of the Spirit to us in John's witness.

1 John 2:1-2
2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
KJV

1 John 2:12-14
12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. KJV

Little children and forgiveness bears fruit 30 fold.
Young men and overcoming the wicked one bears fruit 60 fold.
Fathers and knowing him that is from the beginning bears fruit 100 fold.

Our Lord said to suffer the little children to come to him.
Our Lord sent our young men to witness.
Our Lord preserved John as a witness to us of a father.

It is good to be forgiven. It is much more to overcome the wicked one. It is best of all to be a father to both the little children and the young men.

Joe

Yes Joe, that certainly is true , but is that ALL ? Do you think that Jesus bought us more than this? This is great and we are forever grateful, but is this it?

What do you think?
C

I still don't see any witness at all to the still coming glory of Christ's future bodily return, and the setting up of His de facto Kingdom on this earth, over ALL nations, with ALL bowing the knee to Him as LORD. You know, all this is past... the still coming consuming fire destruction of this earth age.

The witness I do see with the above posts, is the leaving out of important Scripture about the end of this world, and the literal change to the "spiritual body" Apostle Paul, and John taught, which is to come with the destruction of this world.

I Jn 3:2-3
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as He is pure.
(KJV)

Either a believer has that future hope in Christ Jesus, or they don't. It would appear those who refuse to believe what John said there think that 'hope' is already manifested in the flesh on earth today, when it is not. Not yet.

Cornelius said:
There are two gospels:

We either believe that Jesus only brought us "Fire-insurance" against going to Hell and His only purpose is to get us to heaven.

or

We believe the Gospel has power NOW. Not only in heaven.We believe Christ in us, is in us for a reason NOW. We believe that Jesus took the curse away NOW. We believe that we have an inheritance in Christ, where all the promises are YES (IN Him). We believe that Christ must manifest in us on this planet, we believe in holiness without which no one shall see the Lord. We believe in sanctification . This gospel allows us to rule over the curse. This planet is our training ground, where God is raising up sons, not just getting them to heaven, but moulding them , through death to self, into the very image of His Son Jesus.
In this Gospel, we believe we must bear fruit, the fruit = Christ.

We should all know which gospel we believe in, because only one of them has eternity with God as the destination.
Amen, brother. I agree totally.
You've got to the heart of the matter. This is the day that the Lord has made.
We aren't guaranteed a tomorrow on this earth...it's the now we're to be concerned with.
What does the Lord have for us to do...here and now in His kingdom?
Matthew 6:22-34 said:
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Cornelius said:
Yes Joe, that certainly is true , but is that ALL ? Do you think that Jesus bought us more than this? This is great and we are forever grateful, but is this it?

What do you think?
C
C,

Yes, there is much more than forgiveness, a sweet as it is.

There is the bitterness of being saved by his life.

Rom 5:10
10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. KJV

Matt 1:21
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. KJV

Phil 3:18-21
18(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. KJV

May our conversation be in heaven, where Jesus our Lord is at the right hand of God, speaking to us through his blood. Hebrews 12:24. Our hope, our final need is the changing of our vile bodies, without which we would be the most miserable men. We are saved by hope. Romans 8:24.

1 Cor 15:19
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. KJV

Joe

veteran said:
I still don't see any witness at all to the still coming glory of Christ's future bodily return, and the setting up of His de facto Kingdom on this earth, over ALL nations, with ALL bowing the knee to Him as LORD. You know, all this is past... the still coming consuming fire destruction of this earth age.

The witness I do see with the above posts, is the leaving out of important Scripture about the end of this world, and the literal change to the "spiritual body" Apostle Paul, and John taught, which is to come with the destruction of this world.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as He is pure.
(KJV)

Either a believer has that future hope in Christ Jesus, or they don't. It would appear those who refuse to believe what John said there think that 'hope' is already manifested in the flesh on earth today, when it is not. Not yet.

I think we agree on this :) There is still a future event that we as Christians are waiting for. 1 Jn 3:2-3 describes that event. That word "appear" is "phaneroo" which means to "make visible" its not the same as the word Parousia which is used when talking about the second coming of Jesus. This word is talking about the event that Paul writes about:Rom 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God. This "revealing" is apokalypsis which is
1) laying bare, making naked
2) a disclosure of truth, instruction
a) concerning things before unknown
b) used of events by which things or states or persons hitherto withdrawn from view are made visible to all
3) manifestation, appearance

So when Jesus is going to "appear" or when He is manifested ! that is when the sons of God will be the same as Him.(1 Jn 3:2-3)

Jesus is the LOVE of God acting in a physical manifestation trying to save us from the temptation of the Devil.

Out of God's love and mercy we can get into Heaven by trusting in the life style Jesus set for us. I don't see Jesus as a trump card but rather the end result of a god who truly loves us and wants us to be with him more then anything while retaining our free will.

:pray

The really good news is we don't have to die and be in Heaven to rule with Christ, we already rule in Heaven with Him now...

false dilemma/dichotomy... there is a true and false gospel, but there is one true gospel and many false gospels... per Paul in Galatians 1... there is a gospel that teaches salvation by grace through faith alone (monergism), and then there are many autosoteric views...

blessings,
ken

epistemaniac said:
false dilemma/dichotomy... there is a true and false gospel, but there is one true gospel and many false gospels... per Paul in Galatians 1... there is a gospel that teaches salvation by grace through faith alone (monergism), and then there are many autosoteric views...

blessings,
ken
That's very true...to be the true Gospel, it must be the right message about the right one.
Which is why we must search the Scripture, and not be taken in by any "message" from men that is contrary to the truth shown in the Word.
Gal. 1:6-9 said:
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Joe67 said:
Do angels from heaven preach another gospel?

Joe

I think angels bring good tidings.
Luke 2:10 said:
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
It certainly wouldn't be another gospel.
Maybe Paul was speaking of a fallen angel, when he referred to preaching another gospel. :confused
And the angel in Rev. is making a proclamation of the gospel... as I read it.
Tricky question. ;)

Cornelius said:
veteran said:

(KJV)

I think we agree on this :) There is still a future event that we as Christians are waiting for. 1 Jn 3:2-3 describes that event. That word "appear" is "phaneroo" which means to "make visible" its not the same as the word Parousia which is used when talking about the second coming of Jesus. This word is talking about the event that Paul writes about:Rom 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God. This "revealing" is apokalypsis which is
1) laying bare, making naked
2) a disclosure of truth, instruction
a) concerning things before unknown
b) used of events by which things or states or persons hitherto withdrawn from view are made visible to all
3) manifestation, appearance

So when Jesus is going to "appear" or when He is manifested ! that is when the sons of God will be the same as Him.(1 Jn 3:2-3)

What hope is there in THIS world today if it is going to perish in the future? If the subject is about what job we're supposed to be doing while still here until Christ comes, that's another matter. But the hope I speak of is about His Promise of Salvation 'manifested', like what you showed from Paul in Romans 8.

Here's more of the perspective I'm speaking of, which shows why it's very important that we not confuse the future event of Christ's coming with some spiritual coming tradition of men. I'm pulling out all the stops on this teaching.

Rom 8:1-25
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Apostle Paul is making quit a distinction between the flesh and The Spirit, isn't he? They are two separate and distinct workings, that's why. Paul also said in 1 Cor.15:50 that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. This is also why that idea of "sinful flesh" is given there. Does that show Christ came to save our 'flesh'? No.

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Why have some brethren put so much trust in this life of flesh today, when Paul showed there our spirit is in a war with our flesh (like in the previous Romans 7 chapter especially)? To be confused about that is to not understand what our future hope in Christ is about, i.e., how His Salvation will actually manifest, and what it'll be like.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

If Christ's Salvation is about this flesh we're in today, then why must there come a change in the future to end this world? Why can't Christ make this flesh life today perfect now? He has already shown in His Word that He will create the new heavens and a new earth where the former things will be forgotten. Paul covers some of that here in Romans 8, because one of his main messages in this area of Romans is about the differences between this world now, and the world to come, the flesh vs. Spirit.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Exaclty what "body" is Paul talking about there? It's our flesh body, for those in Christ Jesus it is dead, symbolically. And at flesh death, what happens? Will we have a new flesh body? No, for that would be the theory of reincarnation.

11 But if the Spirit of Him That raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He That raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit That dwelleth in you.

Now what's Paul talking about with the idea of bodies? What mortal body is that which is quickened, which is associated with Christ's Resurrection from the dead? And when will that happen? I'll give you a hint, it's not our flesh body.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Again, Apostle Paul is very careful, for he did not say it's our flesh body that will continue to live, but we that shall live. And which part of us lives via the resurrection after flesh death?

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together.

Paul dropped another hint, when he speaks of the time when God's children will be 'glorified' with Christ. Has that time come today? No, not yet, for it's about the resurrection of the dead timing, which is still future. It's when Christ will appear as He is, and we will appear with a glorified body like His, according to what Apostle John said.

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Paul is talking about the creation with that word for "creature". It's rendered as "creation" in a later verse here. God's creation today still awaits for the manifestation of the sons of God. That's about the future glorified body state, with Christ. Has that come yet today? Nope, otherwise the creation would be different also, like Paul is going to reveal...

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of Him Who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Again, read creation here for that word "creature". Who has realized that God had put today's creation in a state of bondage of corruption? Not only that, but God's creation is also in the same hope of that future time of the manifesting of the sons of God, but why? Because even the creation is going to be delivered from its bondage to corruption.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

If the way God's creation is today is pefect, and the way God had intended it to remain, then why does Paul say it groaneth and travaileth in pain for a release from bondage of corruption? How is God's creation today in corruption? Have you noticed how everything eventually dies? Can you believe there will be a time on earth without the violent weather patterns and storms we experience today?

What Paul is pointing to is a change God made upon His creation, for this world earth age ("the heavens and the earth, which are now" - 2 Peter 3). Not only our spirit inside us groans for a release from this bondage state of sin we've had to deal with, but the whole creation seeks for a release from a similar bondage that God put it in long ago. Can anyone imagine what event might have happened on this earth before which caused God to put the creation into bondage?

And specifically, what kind of body is Paul talking about with "the redemption of our body"? Now these he spoke that to were already believers on Christ. So that can't be about a spiritual redemption only like the "new creature" idea, a state a believer can be in while still in the flesh here on earth. Paul is talking about the resurrection body, the "spiritual body" he taught about in 1 Corinthians 15, a body of incorruption, the "image of the heavenly" that we all will put on when Christ returns on the "last trump" (7th). That is the future glory and redemption Paul is declaring there. It is NOT about any imagined redemption some think is already come today in their flesh bodies.

24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
(KJV)

And just to seal the idea, Paul says "hope that is seen is not hope"? Why's that? Because if you can see it already manifested, then the time of hope and waiting for it is over. Instead our hope is for a future state of glory that is yet to be revealed. Moreover, the whole creation awaits that future change also, and that's an important point. Because it means there will be changes with God's creation at the same time. What are some of those changes this earth is to go through that manifest with the sons of God at Christ's return?

The River of the waters of life issuing out from the Milennium sanctuary is one such change on earth to come, along with the manifesting of the many trees on either side of that River (Ezek.47; Rev.22). That River is to even flow out to the desert, and the desert will blossom, and all waters it contacts will be healed (man's pollution of the waters gone). Even the dimensions of the Holy City given in Ezekiel with It sited where earthly Jerusalem is today, will stretch out far westward where the Mediterranean sea is now. The forming of the great valley east and west in Zechariah 14 at Christ's feet touching down upon the Mount of Olives will be part of that change on earth.

Thus Christ's Salvation is not just about a feel good Faith emotion inside us today while in this flesh, but a Salvation of reality, with real substance, and changes on this earth to go with it, with real peace and righteousness manifested on the earth, with the wicked gone.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back