Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The WORD of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
TheStudent said:
unlike christians we believe in God who is PERFECT.
really and just how do you know?
Student, with all due respect, this is a silly statement. "unlike Christians, we believe in God who is perfect." It is the intent of the entire gospel to show that God is perfect, and we ourselves flawed.

The Student said:
What is God but perfection?
--

He has no sex or race.
Yes GOD has a sex and a race it is HE and HE is the GOD of the human race. If GOD has no race why do you only speak to HIM in arabic and why do you have to read the quran in arabic and be a muslim to reach allah?

this is a rookie mistake. 'He' in this case does not inply a sex! do you really know what you are saying? you have taken these words TOO literaly. 'Male' and 'female' sexes are the CREATION of God. Once again, How can you call the CREATED the CREATOR? you cant do it! also do you know what a ROYAL TERM is? google it and find out. would you rather call God 'IT' or 'HE'? what shows more respect?
Male and female, in His image, He created them...
We understand God to be our Father based upon His relationship to us. We do not assign him the limitations of our race or gender.

The Student said:
God has no consort. there is no one esle on His level. unlike christians we do not believe that God had 'relations' with Mary!!! what a blasphemous thought!
OK here we go again GOD never had a sexual relationship with Miriam if you can read go read Luke and then come back and tell us just where is says that GOD had a sexual relationship with Miriam?
This is a strawman argument. Christians do not proclaim that God had sex with Mary, or that Mary is God's wife. "The power of the Holy Spirit OVERSHADOWED Mary." Even Muslims agree that Mary became with the child Jesus by the miraculous work of God.

The Student said:
tell me, in your words, what does 'BEGOTTEN' mean?----
tell us do you believe the Holy Spirit? if you do is it in the quran? I know that you believe in angles, but what about the Holy Spirit? Or the Spirit of GOD if you will.
You know, for example, in Psalm 2:7, that 'begotten' is a translation from the Hebrew root yalad, which means to bring forth. When you think of 'bring forth,' you think of action in time. God does not do action in time, but brings forth within Himself.

As for John 1:14, the Greek monogenes means 'one of a kind.' Certainly, an interface between God and man in the form of a man who contains God is 'one of a kind.' He was truly begotten inasmuch as a woman gave birth to Him.

Has it ever occured to you that you and I were not a capricious thought that dawned on God one day? It wasn't like He hummed along through eternity and suddenly got an inspiration to make stuff. He, out of who He is, brought us forth from who He is.

We humans He brought forth into time. He did so by means of His Word. In doing so, there became time- and there was the elapse of time, and then there was time when we weren't.

But the Word, which brought forth us into time transcends time, and therefore was never 'created' or began. God's Breath (Spirit) gives life to that which His Word speaks forth. God the Father is the source from which both the created and uncreated comes forth.

Let's use a terrible analogy: Let's consider God in the shape of a man, and say that God has hands. Are His hands just as much God as are His eyes? Is His Word not the absolute perfect representation of His heart?

Now let us abandon such foolish anthropomorphism. Let us consider God as He is- unknowable, unsearchable. Is His Word that He speaks- 'Be' any less Holy or powerful than He? In fact, this Word derives its (His) nature from God, and is the absolute faithful radiance and essence of Him.

My Word is 'less' than me inasmuch as it is I who issues it. It is as great as me inamuch as that it carries my personhood, my essence, my voice, me, me, me. When I speak words to my wife, telling her I love her, the words fail to carry the fulness of my word. But my word is true. My "word" is the voice of what I really mean and who I really am. My 'words' are symbols that seek to display my "word."

The Word of God is God, as is the Breath of God. The scriptures are the words of the Words. Men fail to understand God's words in black and white, but His Word is Truth. Is it not so, Student? Is not God's Word faithful and true? Prophets speak the truth as best they can with words, but God's actual Word is perfect.

Then I ask: Is God's Word contained in a book (Koran) or is God's Word transcendant of human language, impossible to contain in a book? And I ask again, what of all God's creation can perceive beyond mere words? Look in your heart, are there not things within you inexpressible with words, yet true? Do you not worship God with groans inexpressible, a glory surpassing the limits of any human language?

I tell you truthfully, I understand things that I cannot express in words. Why? Because my "word" is greater than my words, and my "word" is truly, truly me.

Blessings

Iakovos

'Male and female, in His image, He created them...
We understand God to be our Father based upon His relationship to us. We do not assign him the limitations of our race or gender. '

brother please explain this to the other christians on here!

The Word of God is God, as is the Breath of God. The scriptures are the words of the Words. Men fail to understand God's words in black and white, but His Word is Truth. Is it not so, Student? Is not God's Word faithful and true? Prophets speak the truth as best they can with words, but God's actual Word is perfect.

correct, one of the Names of God is AL HAQQ - THE REALITY. only God is REAL, everything else is an imagination in His imagination.

Then I ask: Is God's Word contained in a book (Koran) or is God's Word transcendant of human language, impossible to contain in a book? And I ask again, what of all God's creation can perceive beyond mere words? Look in your heart, are there not things within you inexpressible with words, yet true? Do you not worship God with groans inexpressible, a glory surpassing the limits of any human language?

how does God communicate with us? how does God let His creation know that He exists? most of the time it is not neccesarily the words that are written in the quran but the rythym, sound and melody. they are truly sublime. combine that with their meaning and you have something special. this is why i urge you to LISTEN to the quran, not just read a crude english 'translation'.

you have written a lot of sense here. i see a lot of Islam in you, if only you knew

OK here we go again GOD never had a sexual relationship with Miriam if you can read go read Luke and then come back and tell us just where is says that GOD had a sexual relationship with Miriam?

TheStudent said:
tell me, in your words, what does 'BEGOTTEN' mean?

A distinction is made in Christian theology between the Immanent Trinity and the Economic Trinity.

Immanent Trinity

“God in Godself†- God as God is outside of creation. God as God is in eternity

Economic Trinity

“God for Us†- God as we experience God in creation: in history, in the “economy†of salvation, and in our personal lives

Definition taken from- http://www.stjohnadulted.org/The_02.htm

Your questions indicate that you are getting the two confused. Possibly the idea of the "virgin birth" causes some of this confusion in Muslims.

i have been told by christians that they believe jesus was the LITERAL begotten SON of God.

i am only arguing with what i have been told in the past.

why would a 'virgin mary' confuse me? have you not read the Quranic Surah entitled 'Mary'?

TheStudent said:
i have been told by christians that they believe jesus was the LITERAL begotten SON of God.

That is known as a "strawman argument"... building a so-called argument on premises which are wrong and then "destroying" that argument!

To LEARN about the term "begotten", read this:
- MONOGENES - (CLICK HERE) -

:)

TheStudent said:

why would a 'virgin mary' confuse me? have you not read the Quranic Surah entitled 'Mary'?

If you are suggesting "relations" with Mary... you are somehow getting confused.

Setting aside any translation issue, to quote The Nicene Creed, the Son was, "begotten of the Father before all worlds".

So its obviously nothing to do with Mary.

is it right to call jesus the 'son of mary'

is it right to call mary the 'mother of god?'

just a yes or no will do

TheStudent said:
is it right to call jesus the 'son of mary'

is it right to call mary the 'mother of god?'

just a yes or no will do

The Catholic view-

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm

Mary's Divine motherhood

"Mary's Divine motherhood is based on the teaching of the Gospels, on the writings of the Fathers, and on the express definition of the Church. St. Matthew (1:25) testifies that Mary "brought forth her first-born son" and that He was called Jesus. According to St. John (1:15) Jesus is the Word made flesh, the Word Who assumed human nature in the womb of Mary. As Mary was truly the mother of Jesus, and as Jesus was truly God from the first moment of His conception, Mary is truly the mother of God. Even the earliest Fathers did not hesitate to draw this conclusion as may be seen in the writings of St. Ignatius [72], St. Irenaeus [73], and Tertullian [74]. The contention of Nestorius denying to Mary the title "Mother of God" [75] was followed by the teaching of the Council of Ephesus proclaiming Mary to be Theotokos in the true sense of the word. [76]"

"Mary is truly the mother of God" according to this, but in a particular sense.

TRUTH IS POWER

The revelation of truth,which is spiritual knowing,produces power that reveals God by the Holy Spirit.To know God in truth is to know His power,making you ready to work His works.

2 John 1:7 says,For many deceivers are entered into the world,who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins. All are sins are washed away in the blood of Jesus Christ.

GOD BLESS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back