Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The word Rapture is in the Bible

MisterE

You have all heard that the word Rapture does not appear in the Bible. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let me show you the actual words Paul wrote in 1 Thess 4:17:

ἔπειτα ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι ἅμα σὺν αὐτοῖς ἁρπαγησόμεθα ἐν νεφέλαις εἰς ἀπάντησιν τοῦ κυρίου εἰς ἀέρα· καὶ οὕτως πάντοτε σὺν κυρίῳ ἐσόμεθα.18 Ὥστε παρακαλεῖτε ἀλλήλους ἐν τοῖς λόγοις τούτοις.

Do you see the word Rapture? It is right there is plain view. Let me do some translation of the words Paul wrote:

ἔπειτα Then ἡμεῖς we οἱ ζῶντες who are alive οἱ περιλειπόμενοι who are left
ἁρπαγησόμεθα. will be raptured...

There is the word Rapture used by Paul.
What most critics mean when they say the word 'rapture' does not appear in the Bible, they really mean the word rapture is not translated in any English translation. Don't be fooled. Don't let them say Rapture does not appear in the 'Bible.' Remind them that Paul wrote the word raptured in 1 Thess 4:17. The Koine Greek word for rapture is ἁρπαγησόμεθα. So, the word Rapture is found in all Greek manuscripts of 1 Thess. This is not nit picking, this is just letting the critic use a translation, like the KJV or NIV, in stead of the BIBLE. It is important to communicate this. Remember, the critic is relying on a Translation of the Bible, not the Bible itself. All serious scholars use the Greek Bible, not a Translation into another language when doing intense study.

You not only know now that Rapture appears in the Bible, in fact, you have seen it.

Well, the word harpazō occurs a bunch of other places in the NT. In a lot of them a rapture doesn't fit.

Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
Were people trying to rapture the kingdom of God?

Mat 13:19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. . .
Does Satan rapture the word out of a person's heart?

John 6:15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king
I don't think these people were trying to rapture Jesus.

John 10:12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.
I don't think the wolf was rapturing the sheep.

John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
John 10:29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.

Act 8:39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, . . .

2Cor 12:2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven.

2Cor 12:4 how he was caught up into Paradise . . .

Jude 1:23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Rev 12:5 She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne.

Well, the word harpazō occurs a bunch of other places in the NT. In a lot of them a rapture doesn't fit.

Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
Were people trying to rapture the kingdom of God?

Mat 13:19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. . .
Does Satan rapture the word out of a person's heart?

John 6:15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king
I don't think these people were trying to rapture Jesus.

John 10:12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.
I don't think the wolf was rapturing the sheep.

John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
John 10:29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.

Act 8:39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, . . .

2Cor 12:2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a one was caught up to the third heaven.

2Cor 12:4 how he was caught up into Paradise . . .

Jude 1:23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Rev 12:5 She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne.

You wrote:

"Well, the word harpazō occurs a bunch of other places in the NT. In a lot of them a rapture doesn't fit."

Not exactly what you are contending here. Like most words, harpazō has many usages/meanings. Also, rapture means to take by force, so the word rapture fits several of the verses you quote.

Also, rapture means to take by force
Dictionary.com = Rapture
  1. ecstatic joy or delight; joyful ecstasy.
    Synonyms: exaltation, transport, beatitude, bliss
    Antonyms: misery
  2. Often raptures. an utterance or expression of ecstatic delight.
  3. the carrying of a person to another place or sphere of existence.
  4. the Rapture, Theology. the experience, anticipated by some fundamentalist Christians, of meeting Christ midway in the air upon his return to earth.
  5. Archaic. the act of carrying off.
I don't see anything about "force" in the rapture theology (number 3 above), other than those raptured can't go up by themselves. It's not exactly against their will.

Dictionary.com = Rapture
  1. ecstatic joy or delight; joyful ecstasy.
    Synonyms: exaltation, transport, beatitude, bliss
    Antonyms: misery
  2. Often raptures. an utterance or expression of ecstatic delight.
  3. the carrying of a person to another place or sphere of existence.
  4. the Rapture, Theology. the experience, anticipated by some fundamentalist Christians, of meeting Christ midway in the air upon his return to earth.
  5. Archaic. the act of carrying off.
I don't see anything about "force" in the rapture theology (number 3 above), other than those raptured can't go up by themselves. It's not exactly against their will.
Hi Whatever,

I agree.

3. is a good definition for the pre-trib Rapture. Note that 4. is a post-trib definition, and 5. also is a good def for the pre-trib Rapture. None of these definitions preclude the use of force. But, the pre-trib Rapture need not have anything to do with force. Force is one nuance of the Greek word for Rapture. I personally don't see anything that would imply that force is used in the Rapture.

You have all heard that the word Rapture does not appear in the Bible. Nothing could be further from the truth. Let me show you the actual words Paul wrote in 1 Thess 4:17:

ἔπειτα ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι ἅμα σὺν αὐτοῖς ἁρπαγησόμεθα ἐν νεφέλαις εἰς ἀπάντησιν τοῦ κυρίου εἰς ἀέρα· καὶ οὕτως πάντοτε σὺν κυρίῳ ἐσόμεθα.18 Ὥστε παρακαλεῖτε ἀλλήλους ἐν τοῖς λόγοις τούτοις.

Do you see the word Rapture? It is right there is plain view. Let me do some translation of the words Paul wrote:

What most critics mean when they say the word 'rapture' does not appear in the Bible, they really mean the word rapture is not translated in any English translation. Don't be fooled. Don't let them say Rapture does not appear in the 'Bible.' Remind them that Paul wrote the word raptured in 1 Thess 4:17. The Koine Greek word for rapture is ἁρπαγησόμεθα. So, the word Rapture is found in all Greek manuscripts of 1 Thess. This is not nit picking, this is just letting the critic use a translation, like the KJV or NIV, in stead of the BIBLE. It is important to communicate this. Remember, the critic is relying on a Translation of the Bible, not the Bible itself. All serious scholars use the Greek Bible, not a Translation into another language when doing intense study.

You not only know now that Rapture appears in the Bible, in fact, you have seen it.

If you want to believe the word rapture is in the Bible then that’s your choice.

The main point we see is those who are alive and remain will be “caught up” (raptured) together with the dead in Christ at His coming.
His coming of course being the second coming of Christ.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 1 Thessalonians 4:15

There are some interesting things to be understood here in these verses.

The resurrection of the dead in Christ and the rapture of those who are alive and remain are one event. IOW’s they will be caught up together at the coming of the Lord.

• Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Amen.

JLB

If you want to believe the word rapture is in the Bible then that’s your choice.

Anyone can assert that the word 'rapture' is or is not in the Bible, it is more than a choice once the evidence is presented. That is why I showed you the word for rapture is in the GNT. If I am wrong, please point that out. Remember, Jesus doesn't appear in the Bible either!! In fact, no English word appears in the Bible because it was originally written in Koine Greek. I think what you mean is that the word rapture does not appear in any English TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE. But that is nothing worth noting.

That is why I showed you the word for rapture is in the GNT. If I am wrong, please point that out.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong.

You and I both know that there will be a "rapture" a catching up of the living in Christ so there is no use arguing over a certain word that may or may not be in the scriptures.

My point is that the resurrection and rapture occur at the coming of the Lord.

The resurrection of the dead in Christ and the rapture of those who are alive and remain are one event. IOW’s they will be caught up together at the coming of the Lord.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong.

You and I both know that there will be a "rapture" a catching up of the living in Christ so there is no use arguing over a certain word that may or may not be in the scriptures.

My point is that the resurrection and rapture occur at the coming of the Lord.

I am in complete agreement with everything you just said

Reactions: JLB

To me the issue is not whether the English word "rapture" is in the Greek Bible. Rather, it is whether the doctrine of a Pretrib Rapture is in the Bible? I know it can be argued by brilliant theologians. However, in my humble opinion, it doesn't hold water.

But I quite agree. The word translated by some as "rapture" is in the Bible. We will be "seized" or "caught up" at the appropriate time. I don't know how many? I don't know the exact second? But I do know it will be from heaven because Christ said so, and it will be to destroy Antichrist's Kingdom and to set up God's Kingdom because Daniel said so in ch. 7.

To me the issue is not whether the English word "rapture" is in the Greek Bible.

This understanding is a good place to start since it is the word of the Lord.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 1 Thessalonians 4:15

The resurrection and rapture occur at the coming of the Lord.

This understanding is a good place to start since it is the word of the Lord.

The resurrection and rapture occur at the coming of the Lord.
I agree, but who denies that the Rapture of the Church takes place at the *Coming of the Lord?* Usually, Dispensationalists claim that Christ's Coming takes place in 2 stages.

I agree, but who denies that the Rapture of the Church takes place at the *Coming of the Lord?* Usually, Dispensationalists claim that Christ's Coming takes place in 2 stages.

It’s undeniable.

And once a person understands this and that the resurrection of the dead in Christ occurs first, then the rapture, it becomes even more clear.

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 1 Thessalonians 4:16

• And the dead in Christ will rise first.

It’s undeniable.

And once a person understands this and that the resurrection of the dead in Christ occurs first, then the rapture, it becomes even more clear.

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 1 Thessalonians 4:16

• And the dead in Christ will rise first.
I think the "2 stage" theory is arguable. Not only is it not dignified with any historical depth in eschatology, but it has a simple alternative rendering.

It is often argued by Dispensationalists that Christ must come in the 1st stage in order to return in the 2nd stage. The 1st stage liberates the Church from Antichrist and the Tribulation while the 2nd stage brings the Church back from heaven.

The alternative version is that Christ comes, catches his Church up to heaven to meet Christ in the clouds *as he is returning.* It is all a single act.

There has been no Pretribulational Rapture taught in most of Christian history. It has been taught, however, that Christ is coming "soon," and that the world will not be expecting him when he shows up.

It has also been taught that when Christ returns in judgment it will not be to execute God's wrath against the Church. Therefore, Christ comes to deliver the Church from wrath.

Sometimes it is even believed that tribulation on earth is the equal of "God's Wrath" such that the Church may be delivered immediately before Christ returns from the clouds.

But for most of history, the Church has believed that Christ is coming in a single act of destroying the Antichrist and establishing God's Kingdom on earth. The 2-stage theory in Dispensationalism has no historical root, in my view.

I think the "2 stage" theory is arguable.

Jesus has come once and appeared.

And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.
1 John 2:28

He will come and appear a second time. Hence the term second coming of Christ.

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. Hebrews 9:27-28

His coming refers to the Second Coming of Christ.

JLB

Jesus has come once and appeared.

And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.
1 John 2:28

He will come and appear a second time. Hence the term second coming of Christ.

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. Hebrews 9:27-28

His coming refers to the Second Coming of Christ.
JLB
Yes, some in the Dispensationalist Theology dept. argue that Christ's "appearance" is different from his "secret coming" in the 1st stage. However, George E. Ladd wrote the book "the Blessed Hope" to dispel that myth.

The Church is to wait for and expect Christ's "appearing," and not a "secret rapture of the Church."

Titus 2.11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

One might even argue that Christians are waiting for *both* a "secret Coming" and an "appearing" of Christ? However, Jesus warned his Disciples in his Olivet Discourse about any so-called "secret coming" when he said this....

Matt 24.26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.
29 “Immediately after the distress of those days
“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’
30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven.

Yes, some in the Dispensationalist Theology dept. argue that Christ's "appearance" is different from his "secret coming" in the 1st stage. However, George E. Ladd wrote the book "the Blessed Hope" to dispel that myth.

Thankfully we have scripture to teach us the truth.

Those who promote the doctrines of man, disregard what the scriptures so plainly teach.

Three key things that occur at His coming.

1. The Resurrection of the dead in Christ.

2. The Rapture of the Church.​

3. The destruction of the wicked including the antichrist.

But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
1 Thessalonians 5:1-3

And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 2 Thessalonians 2:8

Gal 1.10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

As a teacher of the word of God I am obligated to serve God in matters of eschatology and theology. I am bound to give my honest opinion without any regard for whether people like what I have to say.

But we are to reserve love in our heart for people. We've all had wrong beliefs, and we are not likely to question our beliefs if we are scrutinized by judgmental, hostile people.

So my aim here is to humbly offer my opinion that a Pretrib Rapture is not biblical. The word for "Rapture" is there--it is simply not given in a Pretribulational context.

I'm aware of the arguments for Imminency, for "deliverance from God's Wrath," and I'm familiar with all of the prolepses in the book of Revleation, showing the Church in heaven even as the "Tribulation on earth" is being described. I acknowledge these arguments. But in my humble opinion, they are not up to the standard of "biblical proofs." They are not representative of explicit biblical theology.

As such, I accept the simpler approach, which is that Christ comes to defeat the Antichrist, save his Church, and usher in his Kingdom. One day, one blow to the enemy.

Back