Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This is not Good

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WIP

Staff member
Back in January, 2011, my wife injured her back at work that resulted in herniated disks. She had surgery to relieve the pressure and it got her back on her feet, however, with considerable pain and numbness. To this day she takes a whole host of various drugs for pain, depression, and to counteract some of the drugs.

After her injury, she obtained help from an attorney and long story short was qualified for SSDI. She has been receiving SSDI for over 10 years. While receiving SSDI she was able to work parttime with physical limitations but also while receiving SSDI she had earning limitations as well. About five years ago during one month she exceeded her earning limitation by about $16.00 due to a salary raise and was disqualified from receiving SSDI for four months. From that point on, she was more careful about not exceeding the limitation.

For all of the years that she has been receiving the SSDI payments, she has done the same work. She works behind the till as a checkout person in a convenient store/gas station so it's hardly physically or mentally demanding aside from the time spent standing behind the till, which can be somewhat physical, I agree, but not seriously physical.

She just got a letter from the SS administration telling her that they have decided to deny her SSDI beginning sometime in 2021 and she is required to pay the overpayment back to the sum of over $36,000.00. She is given 30 days to repay it. What do they think; that she's been putting the money in savings all these years and has it in an account to pay back?

What a croc!

Back in January, 2011, my wife injured her back at work that resulted in herniated disks. She had surgery to relieve the pressure and it got her back on her feet, however, with considerable pain and numbness. To this day she takes a whole host of various drugs for pain, depression, and to counteract some of the drugs.

After her injury, she obtained help from an attorney and long story short was qualified for SSDI. She has been receiving SSDI for over 10 years. While receiving SSDI she was able to work parttime with physical limitations but also while receiving SSDI she had earning limitations as well. About five years ago during one month she exceeded her earning limitation by about $16.00 due to a salary raise and was disqualified from receiving SSDI for four months. From that point on, she was more careful about not exceeding the limitation.

For all of the years that she has been receiving the SSDI payments, she has done the same work. She works behind the till as a checkout person in a convenient store/gas station so it's hardly physically or mentally demanding aside from the time spent standing behind the till, which can be somewhat physical, I agree, but not seriously physical.

She just got a letter from the SS administration telling her that they have decided to deny her SSDI beginning sometime in 2021 and she is required to pay the overpayment back to the sum of over $36,000.00. She is given 30 days to repay it. What do they think; that she's been putting the money in savings all these years and has it in an account to pay back?

What a croc!
This has been happening to others as well , you will need a lawyer . Praying :prayfor a good outcome . My sources tell me that the upswing in denying SSDI started in 2008, FYI .

What a croc!
SSDI not ssi?

That's crazy
They punish her for four months over 16 bucks.
Glad my wife choose not to work . So she loses her Medicare? Is she in her early 60s .

SSDI not ssi?

That's crazy
They punish her for four months over 16 bucks.
Glad my wife choose not to work . So she loses her Medicare? Is she in her early 60s .
Yes. It's SSDI and she turned 63 this past April. My guess is she'll lose her Medicare as well so our health insurance costs will double to something close to $1,500.00 per month.

I already suggested that she contact the attorney that helped her with her SSDI claim to begin with.

The only bright spot is at 63 she is old enough to file a claim for SSI but she won't qualify for Medicare for almost two years. I'll be qualified next February so I'll be filing for Medicare this coming fall.

It'll certainly be an adjustment to our income status. Her SSDI brought in about $1,000.00 per month after taxes and part B insurance.

What a croc!
I’m shocked to hear this, absolutely shocked!! I guess you need a lawyer! I will stand with you in prayer about this.

SSI was great for my son while he was growing up, but it was a hassle making sure income and assets stayed in the boundaries. We did go over a couple of times but they simply subtracted a certain amount per month for a few months to pay back the overpaid amounts of SSI. Sounds like things have changed since then. He's an adult now and so our income is not taken into consideration for his SSI. What a relief that was.

But anyway, the first thing I thought of was you need to lawyer up. And of course, this is a matter of corporate prayer where the prayers of the many are sent up to solicit the Spirit of fairness and mercy in this situation.

The only bright spot is at 63 she is old enough to file a claim for SSI but she won't qualify for Medicare for almost two years.
Why? I thought that's available as soon as she starts drawing regular Social Security retirement benefits.

Why? I thought that's available as soon as she starts drawing regular Social Security retirement benefits.
No, Medicare is not available until age 65, even if you take early retirement. You can get it before age 65 if you are receiving SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance).

Last edited:
One of the things that bugs me the most about this is that they waited 2 years to inform us there was a problem. Now, we are in arears for over $36,000.00 and then they have the audacity to tells us we have 30 days to repay.

Something else that has us totally baffled is that nothing has changed with her work. She's still doing the same job and tasks that she's done since she was awarded the SSDI claim to begin with. In fact, since mid-January this year until about 2 weeks ago, she wasn't working at all because of the back surgery and now that she's been cleared to work again, she's does have more significant restrictions.

There's a hiccup with that too. Her back injury resulted from a Worker's Comp. situation and it was Worker's Comp. that was pushing for her to get surgery to fuse the three vertebrae in her lower back with the hope that it would reduce her dependence on the drugs. She was resisting because the last time she had surgery two years ago to repair a rotator cuff she nearly died when her heart stopped and she got fluid built up in her lungs from reactions to the anesthesia. Spent three days in ICU as a result. After much testing and assurances from the doctors, she had the surgery done this past January. The surgeon, however, is saying the surgery was needed due to degenerative disc disease and that is creating some issues too. Now, this may be partially true but her back issues and the purpose for the surgery were related to the work injury she had in 2011, which is why she's been living on about 20 pills a day for the past 13 years. If it wasn't for worker's comp. wanting to get this done, she would never have agreed to the surgery at all at this time.

Last edited:
No medicare for retirees is at 65.
My wife gets ssdi and Medicare isn't the same as the Medicare parts a to d.

It's better but one timr choice given my wife's needs for surgeries that will help her more . She is 65 next year once you switch as they won't care if you do work no limit .my wife can't .

I bet you play that tax game I do as well.my parents did with dad as well when he was alive.

The other spouse earne too much the irs can basically tax your SSi and SSDI way .

I basically quit a part time job

Just thought of another potential issue, although I will not let it worry or concern me at this time. If we can't get this SSDI issue resolved and she is deemed unqualified since 2021, she then would have been disqualified for Medicare since 2021 and including her Advantage plan. Would she then be liable to repay all medical expenses that were covered by the Advantage plan too?

I told her again, "Lawyer up, girl!"

Ya, don't mess around with this and get a good SSI lawyer. When I went on SSD when I was 50, 18 years ago, it took me three years and a lawyer to prove I was disabled as no doctor would admit I could no longer work. When I turned 67 it automatically moved over to SSI and I'm 68 now. The Government is a mess and so petty over $16 dollars as they would even do that if one is a penny over the limit. Sorry you two are dealing with this and am praying you will have the victory in Jesus name.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back