Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Thoughts - Discussion- BIBLE and APOLOGETICS

Just putting this out for discussion...Recently there has been a lot of things floating about The Bible and Apolologetics (the assumed contradictory statements in the bible)

I believe we will never understand ALL there is of the Bible (either you have faith or you do not)
Thoughts.
Hey All,
I believe you are correct BIC82. The more I read and study the Bible, the deeper my understanding gets. I will never understand it all. But that is no excuse to stop trying to understand the Bible.
Apologetics is for the believer as well as the rest of the world. Apologetics is the why, of the what, we believe.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Let me, using this verse, show what understanding can come from studying. This a basic study; no Greek necessary.
First we define words for clearer understanding.
Sanctify - to cleanse, purify or make holy
Meekness - humility, resignation, submission to the divine will

Second we look at the structure of the verse. We notice the progression in the verse? Something needs to be done, before something else can be done. Also, the something that needs to be done, must be done in a certain way before the other something is effective. (This is a verbal algebraic equation.)
A + (B+D) = C
A= sanctified
(B+D) = ready; prepared + D = with meekness and fear
C = a reason of the hope that lies within

1. "But . . . " Always refers to what precedes the "but."
Peter just told them don't be afraid or troubled by unrighteous. But, therefore, and howbeit are all reference words. We need to look back to the earlier verses to get the reason for Peter's instructions here.

2. " . . . sanctify the Lord God in your hearts . . . "
In other words, we gotta be walkin the walk. Our hearts have to be cleansed from all unrighteousness before the next step is effective.

3. " . . . and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you . . . "
3A) "... and be ready always . . . "
This is the studying to show yourself approved that Paul wrote about.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

3B) ". . . to give an answer to every man that asketh you . . . "
No discrimination here, "every man." Believers and unbelievers, both deserve an answer. This doesn't mean to argue with unbelieving people.

Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Give the answer and let them decide what to do with it. You do not have to defend the answer if the answer is true.

3C) " . . . a reason of the hope that is in you . . . "

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is the reason for the Bible's existence. People need to understand this verse.

4) . . . with meekness and fear:"
We do not give the answer in a proud or boastful way. We give the answer with a humble heart, with reverence for God. What Peter is saying is how we give an answer is just as important as the answer itself.

1 Corinthians 4:21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

Meekness is also a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Meek does not mean weak. There is much strength in meekness.
Fear doesn't mean being afraid. Fear means reverential respect.
You can do word studies on meekness and fear to get a deeper understanding. (Fascinating topics)

Do you know know more about 1Peter 3:15 now?
Do you see how much we were able to glean from one verse? Do you see how interconnected the Bible is? And we haven't even cracked the Greek dictionary.

You don't need to be a Bible scholar to do this; just a Bible an a dictionary. Try it sometime.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:
Back