Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Three scriptures to contemplate.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Three scriptures to contemplate.

Christ atoned for our sins. He was the object of the atonement, so to speak.
Exodus 29:33; John 6:51-58, and 1 Cor. 11:23-39.
Hi Zeland,
Welcome to the Forum!
It's nice to have you here.
Of course you're speaking of the Eucharist.
You're going to get some pushback so be ready.

At the Last Supper Jesus said THIS IS MY BODY WHICH WILL BE BROKEN FOR YOU.
The next day the Lord's body was broken for us.

On the Road to Emmaus, the two disciples realized it was God when Jesus broke the bread.

This is where forums are so very limited.
People post verses, often with no comment or as in this case a sentance, thinking they are helping or encouraging or challenging.

Look at the responses so far, what do you understand the responders understand from your post.

If God wants you or any other to post verses, he has also given that poster a clear message to post as well.

Hey All,
This may be the push back zeland. Maybe.
I have seen these verses used surreptitiously. Here is what those passages mean collepctively. Let's "git ur done" with some rightly dividin! ( Quote borrowed from I think Larry the cable guy. I don't know his real name.)

Exodus 29:33 - Verse 32 says this meat is for Aaron and his sons. It does not include anyone else.

We cannot leave pertinent information out. That is how we lose meaning. We need to understand verse 32 to come to a proper conclusion.

John 6:51-58 The account actually starts in verse 1, and runs the whole chapter. We need to read the full account to understand what we can. Jesus is equating Himself as the manna sent from heaven. Aaron and his sons ate the attornment meat which was reserved for the priesthood.

Jesus is now saying that eating His flesh results in eternal life. His euphemistic lesson leaves the crowd confounded. On just the surface level, it sounds like Jesus is promoting cannibalism of Himself. That is why the crowd, and some of Jesus' disciples were offended. (vs. 59-61)

At this point it appears that Jesus is only addressing His disciples, of which there were more than the twelve. We know this because after Jesus' explanation, ". . . many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." (vs. 66) Only the twelve disciples Jesus had chosen remained. And even one of them was lying about his belief. (We know this was Judas. But the disciples did not know.)

So, in summary, Jesus teaching confused and offended the crowd.
His explanation caused many if His disciples to leave. (Which makes it clear that Jesus explanation was not meant to be understood by them. This is a key to understanding it.)
Of the twelve that remained, the ones He chose, eleven understood it.
One, of whom they did not know, was lying.

Now the questions:
Who is the lesson for?
Everybody in the crowd. (And us, thanks to John.)

Why did Jesus' explanation cause many to leave?
Why did eleven of the twelve understand what the rest did not?
The answer is in the chapter.
What is it?

1 Cor. 11:23-39 - The key to understanding this passage is in verse 27.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

Who eats and drinks unworthily? Unworthily, not unworthy.
Unworthily is the adverb to the action of eating and drinking.
Unworthily means without due regard to merit.
Unworthy means not deserving.
Big big difference.

So what is it that makes us worthy, deserving?
Makes us.

Is it the confession that allows the grace to to make us worthy?
Or is it the grace that allows the confession to make us worthy?
What is it?

Here is the answer.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

"It is the spirit that quickeneth . . . "
Quickeneth means to make alive. Make alive.

If our spirit has been brought to life, through belief in His Word, that makes us worthy.

It is because we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus, that we are made alive (quickened). It is because of this we believe, and confess what Peter and the other ten did.
(I say eleven total because Judas ate and drank unworthily. He was lying. He did not believe.)

John 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

We have been quickened.
This makes us sure; and if so, we also can believe and confess the same.

That is what it takes to be worthy.

God's grace makes those who have been made alive worthy. Made alive.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

PS. I know it was a long explanation. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Last edited:
This is where forums are so very limited.
People post verses, often with no comment or as in this case a sentance, thinking they are helping or encouraging or challenging.

Look at the responses so far, what do you understand the responders understand from your post.

If God wants you or any other to post verses, he has also given that poster a clear message to post as well.
If you notice in the OP zeland gave us three scriptures to contemplate and explained they were about Christ atonement. You have the option to contemplate them or to discuss them. It's a very clear and simple teaching.

zeland hasn't been back since Monday.
Today is Friday.
So, who knows what he meant.

Judging from his avatar I think He meant the Eucharist.
The Body and Blood of Jesus.
As is understood by the CC.

Personally, I'm not sure anymore.
I used to believe it.
Then I didn't.
Now.....?

As Josef stated, many disciples walked away because it was a difficult statement to grasp.
Why didn't Jesus stop them and tell them to wait and explain better?

Hello zeland.
If you mean Jesus brought atonement by forgiving those who betrayed Him and that when He shared the bread and wine, it was because His disciples were going to personally find out what that felt like, I agree.

Hello zeland.
If you mean Jesus brought atonement by forgiving those who betrayed Him and that when He shared the bread and wine, it was because His disciples were going to personally find out what that felt like, I agree.
What what felt like?

What what felt like?
Being persecuted to death, if that is what zeland was referring to.
The bread and wine symbolize oneness with Christ, being conformed to His Image,

He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. NKJV

Abide in Me Jn.15:4 NKJV And now, little children, abide in Him 1Jn.2:28 NKJV

Heb.11 tells us about how believers were persecuted because of their faith in God, but our Saviors' resurrection proved no enemy can defeat Him and He said,

my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. Lk.12:4 KJV

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Lk.10:19 KJV

I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured and ye are entered into their labours. Jn.4:38 KJV

The other people are from Heb.11 and it's stunning how the Apostles went from how they acted throughtout the gospels to being martyred.

And he sent messengers on ahead who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” Lk.9:52-54 NIV

What?

Being persecuted to death, if that is what zeland was referring to.
The bread and wine symbolize oneness with Christ, being conformed to His Image,

He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. NKJV

Abide in Me Jn.15:4 NKJV And now, little children, abide in Him 1Jn.2:28 NKJV
What kind of words are:
EATS MY FLESH
DRINKS MY BLOOD

Maybe Jesus meant it literally?

Zeland, IF you ever check in again,,,
is that you in the image or is it Vorhees?

Back