Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] Thunder

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
Usually it only happens during a thunderstorm, but sometimes it happens due to extreme heat or during a snowstorm. Does anybody else know why that is?

The way I understand it, the thunder we hear, described by Jim Parker, is actually a sonic boom similar to when a jet breaks the sound barrier. The lightning heats up the air causing it to expand so fast it creates the sonic boom. The lightning itself is the result of built up static electric charge within the upper atmosphere as air currents flow past each other....I think.

The way I understand it, the thunder we hear, described by Jim Parker, is actually a sonic boom similar to when a jet breaks the sound barrier. The lightning heats up the air causing it to expand so fast it creates the sonic boom. The lightning itself is the result of built up static electric charge within the upper atmosphere as air currents flow past each other....I think.

Sounds about right except for the fact that a lot of thunder is also caused when two clouds hit each other (like in a thunderstorm) and I do believe that the friction causes the lightning strike. Of course I'm not a hundred percent certain on that one. :chin

Sounds about right except for the fact that a lot of thunder is also caused when two clouds hit each other (like in a thunderstorm) and I do believe that the friction causes the lightning strike. Of course I'm not a hundred percent certain on that one. :chin
That friction you speak of is the rubbing that I mentioned that causes the build-up of static charge. Eventually, it builds so high that it discharges and that is the lightning you see.

Don't know where you live but here in MN, during the winter when relative humidity drops to very low levels, if one walks stockingfooted across a carpet while dragging his/her feet, a static charge can build up in our bodies. Then, when touching something grounded to earth, such as a grounded metal object or other person you will feel a shock and if you look closely you can actually see the spark. That is lightning at a low voltage level.

It takes approximately 100,000 volts to jump a 1/4" gap. So when you see that little static spark that is maybe 1/16" long, you are witnessing about 25,000 volts jumping the gap. Now imagine what a lightning strike is when it jumps from the clouds to the earth, which could be thousands of feet. Yes, we're talking about millions of volts and that's why it can cause explosions and fire and split trees and shatter brick chimneys, and so forth.

That friction you speak of is the rubbing that I mentioned that causes the build-up of static charge. Eventually, it builds so high that it discharges and that is the lightning you see.

Don't know where you live but here in MN, during the winter when relative humidity drops to very low levels, if one walks stockingfooted across a carpet while dragging his/her feet, a static charge can build up in our bodies. Then, when touching something grounded to earth, such as a grounded metal object or other person you will feel a shock and if you look closely you can actually see the spark. That is lightning at a low voltage level.

It takes approximately 100,000 volts to jump a 1/4" gap. So when you see that little static spark that is maybe 1/16" long, you are witnessing about 25,000 volts jumping the gap. Now imagine what a lightning strike is when it jumps from the clouds to the earth, which could be thousands of feet. Yes, we're talking about millions of volts and that's why it can cause explosions and fire and split trees and shatter brick chimneys, and so forth.

Oh yeah, right, duh! Lol, I forgot that you mentioned that in your original post. And I'm a girl from the good old Buckeye state here, nicknamed by me as the land of nowhere. :lol

When I was a child we had a lot of fun with static charge. One of my six siblings would be laying on the living room floor maybe watching a television program and I'd come along after building up a high static charge and just touch their earlobe. It was fun but of course there is Karma.

To be scientific about it, clouds don't "bump." If you've ever been in fog, you've been in a cloud; there's nothing to bump.

The friction that's created is part of why we send airplanes into storms, to study them in hopes of understanding all this better.

It's amazing how much we still don't really know. Many things are observable, including that thundersnow is pretty rare.
Our continent gets more extreme weather (like tornadoes) than others, as I understand it. The Rockies, then the great plains, then the great lakes region, in that order as our weather patterns usually encounter things, creates some unique circumstances.

I've been very close to an unusual form of lightning, perhaps St Elmo's fire. I could smell it, and see the reflection in a very old car that had a very dull finish. While I was carrying a 12' long metal mast!

Electrostatic generators are rather simple and easy to build. They can be a lot of fun.
Watching someone's hair stand on end no matter how long it is.... really cool.

The discharges are kinda painful though.

Static discharges and electronics do not mix well. The high voltage seems to fry the microscopic thin insulation used on PC boards. An amplifier is the size of a grain of rice. Not good when it fries. Lots of the guys who work on electronics ground their clothes and themselves to the floor by various means....kinda necessary.

Look at the grounding radio towers have. The objective is hiding them from the lightning. Deep and overkill. Usually they will have chemical grounds.
Power lines have an attractant for the lightning. That's why the neutral is on top of the hot lines.

The lightning comes from masses of air rushing past each other. Builds up massive static electricity, which then jumps (normally from mass to mass, but sometimes to the ground) which heats the air enough to ionize it. The sudden expansion produces thunder.

Notice, clouds are not necessary for thunder and lightning, although rain clouds are usually the source. The massive updraft of dense, vapor-laden air produces more energy.

Lots of the guys who work on electronics ground their clothes and themselves to the floor by various means....kinda necessary.

This is the most secure way:

You'll usually be O.K. if you touch a heavy metal object from time to time as you work. But I have a cuff somwhat like this that I use if I'm working with something important. I don't bother with it if I'm rigging solar yard lights or whatever.

This is the most secure way:

You'll usually be O.K. if you touch a heavy metal object from time to time as you work. But I have a cuff somwhat like this that I use if I'm working with something important. I don't bother with it if I'm rigging solar yard lights or whatever.
Risking a static discharge on a $2.00 pc board is one thing... taking the same risk with a $200-$2000 board is another.

But sometimes I have seen service guys do just that.
Usually followed by the statement " Huh? I don't understand what's going on. I just replaced that board. It should be working. They probably sent me a bad board or something"
Meanwhile I am silently listening to their rant while in judgement of their stupidity.

Risking a static discharge on a $2.00 pc board is one thing... taking the same risk with a $200-$2000 board is another.

Yep.

But sometimes I have seen service guys do just that.
Usually followed by the statement " Huh? I don't understand what's going on. I just replaced that board. It should be working. They probably sent me a bad board or something"
Meanwhile I am silently listening to their rant while in judgement of their stupidity.

Yep.

I took 220 full on. You could hear me over a mile away. In a severe thunderstorm, lol.

I was lucky it knocked me back, instead of "glueing" me to the breaker box I had to switch on.
That would not have been a static discharge. In fact, I doubt you would even feel or detect a 220v static discharge. What you felt was current electricity which, unless the source is blocked (opened), will continue to flow indefinitely.

Yup, I definitely felt the current! You're probably aware of people convulsing as they stay glued to the current in exactly that situation and meeting a gruesome demise.
As I understand it the best thing to do is hit them with your full body, to knock them out of the circuit.

Maybe an Angel did that for me

Back