Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] To all those who don't take the bible literally

• Thread starter itoldyounoalready
  • Start date

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I

itoldyounoalready

:roll: Read your Bible all of it, especially 2nd Timothy.

question what reason would God have to send us a metaphorical , allegorical nominal collcetion of papers and stories, and what isn't literal about Jesus walked, Peter sat, Joseph traveled

Done and done. So, did you want a discussion, or were you just giving advise that almost ever non-literalist Christian has already taken?

obviously you haven't if you believe the bible to be non-literal, or you just chose to surpass the new testament or completely ignore it, either way maybe you should read it again.

itoldyounoalready said:
:roll: Read your Bible all of it, especially 2nd Timothy.

question what reason would God have to send us a metaphorical , allegorical nominal collcetion of papers and stories,
Did not Jesus Himself speak in parables?

Jesus spoke in parables but he spoke the truth. He did not say that we could not trust the bible.

PAR'ABLE, n. L. parabola; Gr. to throw forward or against, to compare to or against; as in confero, collatum, to set together, or one thing with another. A fable or allegorical relation or representation of something real in life or nature, from which a moral is drawn for instruction; such as the parable of the trees choosing a king, Judges 9.; the parable of the poor man and his lamb. 2 Sam. 12.; the parable of the ten virgins, Matt.25.

PAR'ABLE, v.t. To represent by fiction or fable.

Jesus taught the truth in the form of parables He did not speak in parables to make the scriptures void.

bibleberean said:
Jesus spoke in parables but he spoke the truth. He did not say that we could not trust the bible.
And God spoke in a parable when he wrote the beginning of Genesis, but he spoke the truth. He did not say we could not trust the Bible, but neither did he say we should take the allegorical story as being an accurate historical record, no more than any of Jesus' parables involved actual living people.

Jesus taught the truth in the form of parables He did not speak in parables to make the scriptures void.
Ditto for God when he dictated Genesis. It's the misapplication of this allegory, the attempt to make it literal and historic, which voids the Scriptures and transforms them into something that's in opposition to every single thing God's creation proclaims.

Genesis is literal and Jesus quotes Genesis more than any other part of the bible.

If Genesis isn't literal then Jesus is not the last Adam because the firs Adam was formed from the earth.

Genesis 2:7-8 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

God literally formed Adam out of the dust of the ground and he literally placed the man He had formed in the Garden of Eden.

If a person cannot believe in this then he or she might as well throw out their bibles.

It is an insult to my intelligence and to the words of Christ to believe otherwise.

Jesus did not quote Genesis as though they were just fables and stories.

Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

Jesus meant Noah was a literal person and he lived in a literal time space.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus meant this literally. He didn't mean there was no such person as Jonah.

Evolution is a myth not the Genesis account.

bibleberean said:
Genesis is literal and Jesus quotes Genesis more than any other part of the bible.
Jesus does quote Genesis a lot, because it's a great book with many spiritual truths. However, he doesn't comment on the historical accuracy, nor does he need to.

If Genesis isn't literal then Jesus is not the last Adam because the firs Adam was formed from the earth.

Genesis 2:7-8 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
Adam was formed out of the dust of the Earth. The process God used to do that formation was evolution. Started with little specks of inorganic dust, ended up humans. How does this require a literal historic reading of the book?

God literally formed Adam out of the dust of the ground and he literally placed the man He had formed in the Garden of Eden.

If a person cannot believe in this then he or she might as well throw out their bibles.

It is an insult to my intelligence and to the words of Christ to believe otherwise.
I believe God literally formed Adam out of the dust and that he literally placed him in the Garden of Eden. The conflict is in your head. The formation process is not detailed. You think that God rolled up a ball of dust like clay and sculpted Adam, or some other such thing that was direct and instantenous. I think that God started with dust and set of the process of evolution which culminated Adam. Neither of our beliefs conflict with the Scripture. However, one of our beliefs conflicts with God's Creation, and so we can throw that one out as false.

Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

I don't know any Christian who denies Noah was a person. I know many Christians who acknowledge the absurdity of a world-wide flood and instead believe that Noah was saved from a local flood that wiped out all other people. Nothing in Jesus' statement indicates that this belief is wrong.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

What does Jonah have to do with Genesis? Both evolution and Genesis are 100% true. Evolution is science, the creation account is myth, both offer true observations about God and his creation. The conflict between science and God is entirely in your mind, it does not exist, and you do not need to throw out either.

I am glad I believe the bible.

Global flood and all.

The sign God gave of the rainbow is not a just local it is global... ;-)

The explanation that we have to guess which parts of the bible to believe and reject the others is a very sorry one.

So then, the sky is literally solid and literally has doors through which water can be poured. The earth is literally immovable because it literally rests on pillars and literally has 4 corners. The mustard seed is literally the smallest seed in the world, rabbits literally chew their cud. The snake in Genesis is literally a snake, and not a fallen angel. If your son disobeys you then you should literally kill him, and if your daughter gets raped you should literally have the rapist pay you to marry her. A man should be literally stoned to death for picking up wood on the sabbath. Adam literally died on the very same day he ate the fruit from the tree. Grasshoppers literally have 4 legs and bats are literally birds. :bday:

bibleberean said:

You do realize, of course, that the bible did not exist during the time of Jesus. Even what we call the Old Testament did not exist in its current form.

Did Jesus carry any kind of book around with Him?

Was He a bible thumper?

Can a person be saved if they have no access to a bible?

Is it the bible that offers salvatioin, or Jesus?

Late_Cretaceous said:
bibleberean said:

You do realize, of course, that the bible did not exist during the time of Jesus. Even what we call the Old Testament did not exist in its current form.

Did Jesus carry any kind of book around with Him?

Was He a bible thumper?

Can a person be saved if they have no access to a bible?

Is it the bible that offers salvatioin, or Jesus?

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Mark 11:17 And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Luke 24:25-27 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luke 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luke 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Luke 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

Luke 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Jesus loved the scriptures and He quoted them over and over again.

Oh, and by the way Jesus is still alive... :biggrin

Literally! ;-)

Aside from spouting scripture, you did not address my post whatsoever. What are you scared of?

Late_Cretaceous said:
Aside from spouting scripture, you did not address my post whatsoever. What are you scared of?

I am not afraid of anything. Jesus quoted scripture. The same scriptures I just quoted.

Jesus was a bible quoter. "Bible thumper" is a name skeptics and weak Christians give to people who love God's word.

Jesus quoted from the books of Moses the psalms and the prophets.

What is your point?

bibleberean said:
He did indeed. He also said, occaisionally, that the words were not to be taken explicitly.

Oh wait.

Spiritu Sancti said:
bibleberean said:
He did indeed. He also said, occaisionally, that the words were not to be taken explicitly.

Oh wait.

And you have examples I am sure... :roll:

cubedbee said:
bibleberean said:
Jesus does quote Genesis a lot, because it's a great book with many spiritual truths. However, he doesn't comment on the historical accuracy, nor does he need to.

Adam was formed out of the dust of the Earth. The process God used to do that formation was evolution. Started with little specks of inorganic dust, ended up humans. How does this require a literal historic reading of the book?

[quote:1cd1b]God literally formed Adam out of the dust of the ground and he literally placed the man He had formed in the Garden of Eden.

I believe God literally formed Adam out of the dust and that he literally placed him in the Garden of Eden. The conflict is in your head. The formation process is not detailed. You think that God rolled up a ball of dust like clay and sculpted Adam, or some other such thing that was direct and instantenous. I think that God started with dust and set of the process of evolution which culminated Adam. Neither of our beliefs conflict with the Scripture. However, one of our beliefs conflicts with God's Creation, and so we can throw that one out as false.

I don't know any Christian who denies Noah was a person. I know many Christians who acknowledge the absurdity of a world-wide flood and instead believe that Noah was saved from a local flood that wiped out all other people. Nothing in Jesus' statement indicates that this belief is wrong.

What does Jonah have to do with Genesis? Both evolution and Genesis are 100% true. Evolution is science, the creation account is myth, both offer true observations about God and his creation. The conflict between science and God is entirely in your mind, it does not exist, and you do not need to throw out either.[/quote:1cd1b]

let me guess God doesn't work in all parts of the world right just America, possibly the middle east.
You miss the point your mid can't even comprehend any of this can it, God is able to exceedingly and abundantly, he does all, you're being foolish and relying on your own mind, and what you believe to be possible.

Late_Cretaceous said:
You are on a Christian forum, therefore "spouting" Scripture will be held in high esteem more than mere human beliefs as you have shared. What he is "scared" of is that you will die ignorant of who Jesus Christ is because of your rejection of the truth of almighty God. I know you won't submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ so I am not "scared" at all.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back