Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tongues, initial evidence of one having the Holy Spirit

F

FightingAtheism

Initial evidence of the Holy Spirit -Speaking with Tongues

My Position

I believe that the Holy Spirit has to be proven with somekind of evidence, and the initial evidence would be speaking with tongues.

What is it for?

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. -1Co.14:2

"In the spirit he speaketh mysteries" at this moment a person with the Holy Spirit has the ability to pray for someone or something he doesn't know about.

He that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. -1Co.14:4

At this moment, the tongue speaker is also edifying himself.

For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 1Co.14:14

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
-1Co.14:15

Holy Spirit is proved by speaking in tongues

Let’s look at the book of Acts. book of Acts is the book that shows us the actions of the Apostles; it shows us the experiences of the Apostles. It shows us of what takes place in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

On the day of the Pentecost, all of the 120 disciples received the Holy Spirit, and one significant is, is that all of them spoke with tongues: “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. -Ac.2:4â€Â

Later on, the house of Cornelius received the Holy Spirit:

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
(Ac.10:44-47)

“For they had heard them speak with tonguesâ€Â, this passage is saying that the House of Cornelius received the Holy Spirit because they had heard them speak with tongues.

Let’s look at this passage:

And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. (Ac.11:15)

“As on us on the beginningâ€Â, I have a conclusion, which would be that we, Christians, are supposed to receive the Holy Spirit the same as the disciples did. We are supposed to speak in tongues! “As the Spirit gave them utteranceâ€Â- the Spirit gives all of the people who are baptized in the Holy Spirit the ability to speak in tongues.

Look what Jesus had told: “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (Mk.16:17)â€Â

I believe that all of these signs should follow them that truly believe in Jesus and his word.

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. -1Co.14:2

For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 1Co.14:14

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

From these passages we can conclude that when we pray in an unknown tongues, our spirit is praying. Question: If you have the Holy Spirit, why don't you have the ability to pray in the spirit?

Do all speak with tongues?

"Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" -1 Corinthians 12:30

There's a big misinterpretation of the verse. In this chapter, you notice that Paul is talking about the 'different'(v10) kind of tongues, meaning 'not the usual' kind of tongues. The usual kind of tongues is a language no men can understand nor interpret. However, the 'different' kinds of tongues are the type of tongues that can be interpreted.

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: -1Co.14:18

They all spoke with tongues. However, if my conclusion wouldn't be correct, then why would Paul tell them that tongues is not for everyone if they all spoke with tongues?

Tongues is not for preaching

The first ones to speak with tongues were the disciples, which occured on the day of the Pentecost. People often believe that on that day they were speaking in earthly languages.

I believe this to be incorrect. On that day, there was a two-fold miracle going on. The miracle of speaking and hearing. The miracle of hearing would be the enabling of some to understand tongues. Not all understood them because some onlookers made fun of them and accused them of being drunk (Acts 2:13). (Source: tbm.org/tongues.htm)

As we accept Jesus Christ as our saviour, we automatically recieve the Holy Spirit?

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
(Ac.19:1-6)

This passage above clearly states that we don't automatically recieve the Holy Spirit as we believe.

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they [their] hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
(Ac.8:14-18)

They did believe in Jesus Christ, they were baptised, but they hadn't yet received the Holy Ghost. The conclusion is very clear.

Re: Initial evidence of the Holy Spirit -Speaking with Tongues

I believe that the presence of the Holy Spirit is proven by the fruit of the Spirit. I do not believe that tongues is at all an evidence that one is filled with the Holy Spirit. I think you need to think deeply about those very few instances where people initially spoke in tongues and also ask why in Acts 8 tongues isn't mentioned.

Free

I have provided passages.

I think you need to think deeply about those very few instances where people initially spoke in tongues and also ask why in Acts 8 tongues isn't mentioned.

The fact that it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean that it didn't happen. We do know for sure that there was some kind of sign because Simon saw that through the laying of the Apostle's hands the Holy Spirit was giving, so he asked asked them for money if he could also get that gift.

In the book of Acts, there were five passages concerning the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and three out of the five passages it is mentioned that they spoke with tongues. Four of these five passages mentions a sign. If tongues were not mentioned, that does not mean that it couldn't of happen.

Let's look at these verses:

From these passages we can conclude that when we pray in an unknown tongues, our spirit is praying. Question: If you have the Holy Spirit, why don't you have the ability to pray in the spirit?

Thanks for the reply, God bless.

My position is No man or woman today speaks in tongues in the Bible sense as Acts 2 for example. No man.

duval said:
My position is No man or woman today speaks in tongues in the Bible sense as Acts 2 for example. No man.
Could you please clarify this?

I think FightingAtheism is a pentecostal. ;)

Speaking in tongues is one of many spiritual gifts that GOD gives to believers, not all will get the same gifts I don't speak in tongues, but I know I have the spirit. In fact we just had a teaching on gifts at my Church this past Sunday, we went over the whole list of gifts that can be found in first corinthians. I myself have the gift of discernment.

1 Corinthians 12
Spiritual Gifts
1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.
4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one bodyâ€â€whether Jews or Greeks, slave or freeâ€â€and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.

MISFIT

I think FightingAtheism is a pentecostal.

Not exactly, but I lean towards pentecostalism.

Speaking in tongues is one of many spiritual gifts that GOD gives to believers, not all will get the same gifts I don't speak in tongues, but I know I have the spirit. In fact we just had a teaching on gifts at my Church this past Sunday, we went over the whole list of gifts that can be found in first corinthians. I myself have the gift of discernment.

You're here talking about the gift of tongues, which is the tongues that a person with the gift of interpreting can interpret. But I'm here talking abouut the kind of tongues that is in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, this is the kind of tongues that you pray with.

2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
(1Co.14:2)

4 He that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
(1Co.14:4)

14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
(1Co.14:14)

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
(1Co.14:15)

In case you haven't read my post, I have a question for you. If a person has the Holy Spirit and if praying with tongues is praying in the spirit, then how can you the Holy Spirit without the ability to pray in the spirit?

Jude 20-21 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. NIV

Eph 6:18 8 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. NIV

By putting logic into the first verses I have provided (Corinthians 14) and these verses (Jude & Eph) you could build a very logical interpretation/conlusion.

Thanks for the reply, God bless.

Hello FightingAtheism and welcome to the Bible Study Forum :)

Do me a favor would ya? Tongues can get into a heated debate rather quickly, and the spirit of the Bible Study forum is to avoid debates while encouraging deep biblical studies.

I would encourage you and others to take a look at the Announcement at the top of the Bible Study forum to the topic : Recommendations and Guidelines for an effective Bible Study and if I could point you to this part:
1. Exegesis; Critical explanation or analysis, especially of a text. (I.E. What does the text mean?)
2. Hermeneutics; The theory and methodology of interpretation, especially of scriptural text. (I.E. How did you come to the conclusion of your Exegesis? Does it agree with the Bible as a whole?)
3. Redaction; to draw up or frame ( I.E. a statement, proclamation, etc.)

I realize that this method of study is a little more difficult than stringing together scripture to present a view, but if we don't have the correct exegesis, we'll draw the wrong redaction because the words written in the text are more than just letters and words, they are active and breathing. They are alive. In other words, if you want to understand the texts, sometimes it's best to get behind the texts to see what's driving it.... Find the agenda of the writer and the main point in tension with an opposing understanding.

While looking at your initial post, I can see several exegetical errors, but the one that pops out the loudest for me is Acts 10:44-47. It is better to look at the two differing cultures and their various differences in beliefs and custom's to fully appreciate what's really happening here...

I will try to post more tomorrow permitting...

Grace and peace.

FightingAtheism said:
MISFIT

I think FightingAtheism is a pentecostal.

Not exactly, but I lean towards pentecostalism.

Just want you know that I don't have a problem with pentecostals (I'm Charismatic pretty closely related) I just hope I did not come across like I do.

Stovebolt, it's an honour to be here! :)

Hello FightingAtheism and welcome to the Bible Study Forum

Do me a favor would ya? Tongues can get into a heated debate rather quickly, and the spirit of the Bible Study forum is to avoid debates while encouraging deep biblical studies.

I would encourage you and others to take a look at the Announcement at the top of the Bible Study forum to the topic : Recommendations and Guidelines for an effective Bible Study and if I could point you to this part:

So, should I move this topic to another forum? If so, what other forum should it be?

I realize that this method of study is a little more difficult than stringing together scripture to present a view, but if we don't have the correct exegesis, we'll draw the wrong redaction because the words written in the text are more than just letters and words, they are active and breathing. They are alive. In other words, if you want to understand the texts, sometimes it's best to get behind the texts to see what's driving it.... Find the agenda of the writer and the main point in tension with an opposing understanding.

While looking at your initial post, I can see several exegetical errors, but the one that pops out the loudest for me is Acts 10:44-47. It is better to look at the two differing cultures and their various differences in beliefs and custom's to fully appreciate what's really happening here...

I will try to post more tomorrow permitting...

Let's do it one by one, one verse at a time, to get the correct exegis and then move on. I think this would be very helpfull and effecting.

Thankyou, God bless!

Hi FightingAthesim:

I said no man ow woman speaks in tongues today in the Bilical sense because the need for them has been fulfilled.

Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. (1Co 14:20-22)

follower of christ

Yes, I know that passage.. So what are you trying to say?

I spoke in tongues when I was baptised in the HS. It was at a men's fellowship/home group. If anything, it was definitely a sign for those who prayed and laid hands on me that the HS did indeed go from them to me, and that I was definitely baptised (Whether God intended it for that or not, LOL). :)

I spoke in tongues when I was baptised in the HS. It was at a men's fellowship/home group. If anything, it was definitely a sign for those who prayed and laid hands on me that the HS did indeed go from them to me, and that I was definitely baptised (Whether God intended it for that or not, LOL).

Amen! God bless.

Amusing. You offered ONE scripture and left out the one IMMEDIATELY following it:

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

And then we have the RULES of tongues IN THE CHURCH:

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

This PLAINLY offers that there can BE NO MORE than THREE people speaking in an unknown tongue in the GATHERING of the BODY and that 'by course', (IN ORDER, one and THEN another), and there MUST BE AN INTERPRETER.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Get this, keep SILENCE IF there is NO interpreter.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

37If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Note this LAST statement: If ANY MAN THINK HIMSELF TO BE, let him ACKNOWLEDGE that the things offered ARE the commandments of The LORD.

What YOU have been LED to believe is that 'tongues' is a SIGN of The Spirit. What you SHOULD have been taught is that CHARITY is that which is offered by The Spirit IN TRUTH. For, without charity, NOTHING that can be DONE by ANYONE has ANYTHING to do with The TRUTH.

Some churches seem 'hell-bent and determined' to SEPARATE themselves from others through such teachings as tongues and miracles. The sad part is that there are MANY that are 'drawn in' to such teachings. TOO many are TOO insecure in their faith and NEED to SEE or FEEL something tangible or materialistic in order to 'believe'. The saddest part, this is NOT faith. For that which can been SEEN, or FELT, or HELD in one's hand does NOT take faith to accept. We are commanded to worship in FAITH.

These SAME people that teach such tongues and miracles would touch you to heal you and if you weren't would offer that YOUR faith is NOT great enough for you to be healed. When the truth is, is was NEVER the faith of the individual being healed that made it possible but the FAITH of the one HEALING. How much faith do you believe a DEAD MAN had? Lareth was risen from the grave. It was not HIS faith that brought him back.

Do yourself a favor and read the two chapters, (I Corinthians; 13,14), a few times and IF you are sincere in your desire to KNOW the truth, see if it is not revealed to you. There WAS a 'time' for tongues. The Church HAS been formed. I am quite sure that there is not a language that exists todeay that there is NOT a Christian that speaks it. Gibberish does NOT a 'tongues' make, (gibberish that is a LEARNED utterance is NOT 'tongues' as refered to in The Word). One can ONLY speak in 'true tongues' as The Spirit GIVES utterance. The Spirit is NOT ignorant. Therefore, if the 'tongues' to which you refer are those that are a 'learned behavior', (learned out of DESIRE to perform that which one has been TAUGHT), then they CANNOT BE 'true tongues'.

So many youngsters today are being falsely led into this practice. It is SO STRONGLY acknowledged in certain churches that those that attend feel a NEED to perform them in order to PROVE THEMSELVES. This is 'false teaching'. For tongues were NOT designed to PROVE anything. And the Word tells us OUTRIGHT that: Where there are tongues, they shall CEASE. In the same PLACE that we find this statement we can also find that we are to 'grow up' in Christ and get 'beyond' those THINGS that ONLY offer 'self edification'. We ARE our 'brothers keepers' and our duty is TO THE BODY, NOT OURSELVES.

So, if you attend a church that allows ten women to flop around on the floor and speak in tongues AT THE SAME TIME, then you are being led in a 'false direction'. For the Bible IS our guide and we have PERFECTLY legible instruction in this case. Instead of following a 'man-made' institution, one would fare FAR better to follow The Word and become a member of THE Church, the Body of Christ. For it is VERY difficult to even come CLOSE to the truth when following the teachings of men. And we HAVE been INSTRUCTED to 'follow TRUTH'. For THAT IS THE WORD.

Blessings,

MEC

FightingAtheism said:
follower of christ

Yes, I know that passage.. So what are you trying to say?

I believe what is offered here is what I stated at the end of my previous post. One would fare FAR better to read the two chapters devoted to the 'use of tongues' and read ALL that is offered rather than 'pick and choose' those LINES of scripture that MATCH what someone may or may not have TAUGHT you.

It is NOT as if there is NO instruction concerning this 'gift'. The ONLY WAY that we HAVE to discern that which is TRUE and that which is NOT is to compare it to that which is offered up IN INSTRUCTION.

So, IF you were 'moved' to speak in 'tongues' that do NOT align with what has been offered up in scripture, exactly HOW do you 'justify' an offering that these were INDEED, true tongues?

My point; you mention 'speaking in tongues' and how you KNOW that it was Spirit led. But let me ask this: was there an interpreter and WHAT was the interpretation of 'your tongues'. For to 'say something' has little is ANY validation so far as 'truth' is concerned. NOT doubting anything that you have offered for I don't even know you. But to DO something is NO proof that is in alignment with scripture unless it FOLLOWS scripture.

As stated before, this 'modern tongues use' is a MOSTLY 'man-invented' thing that has little bearing on what we have been offered up in instruction. Might I also add that it is a relatively RECENT event added to those churches that TEACH it, (only a litlle over a hundred years in fact).

A number of studies have been done that indicate that EACH geographic area where 'tongues' were studied showed that the 'tongues' being used were very similar to the local. But those in different areas, separated geologically by a significant distance, were DIFFERENT but similar to those of the SAME geologic area. This is an indication that what is 'called tongues' were nothing other than 'learned behavior'. For those that speak USUALLY speak in a SIMILAR manner to those that they congregate with. And this DIFFERS depending on the DISTANCE from 'each other'.

Ever notice how one is able to be 'drawn in' to the excitement of 'others'? Ever go to a concert and find yourself yelling out the SAME thing as those around you? Or, ever go to a 'sporting event' and find yourself 'joining in' the hooting and hollering? Do you honestly believe that it's ANY DIFFERENT with a church. When those that sit around you start their 'amenin' and 'praise the Lords', how EASY is it for US to 'join in' the EXCITEMENT.

But we HAVE been offered up in scripture that we are to conduct ourselves DIFFERENTLY in The Body than the WORLD does when IT gathers. Sober, reverent. While we do have stories where there were those that danced and sang, Paul offered us that 'in The Body' we are to BE sober and serious.

I have witnessed the churches that turn worship into some kind of 'party'. Dancing and hootin' it up like there's no tomorrow. I just WONDER what 'spirit' is leading them into this type of revelry. For we have instruction from Paul that points is a very DIFFERENT direction.

For: God is NOT the author of confusion, but of PEACE as in ALL churches of the saints.

Not MY words, but those offered up by OUR TEACHER of such things.

Blessings,

MEC

Hey FightingAtheism ,
Since you started the topic in the AP forum, I merged original topic from the Bible Study forum ok.

Thanks,
Jeff

Imagician

Amusing. You offered ONE scripture and left out the one IMMEDIATELY following it:

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

"But rather that ye prophesied", Paul is teaching of how the WHOLE church should recieve edification. Paul is saying that when you start speaking in tongues to the church and there is no interpreter, it is useless, so rather that you prophesy, for the church to recieve edification.

And then we have the RULES of tongues IN THE CHURCH:

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

This PLAINLY offers that there can BE NO MORE than THREE people speaking in an unknown tongue in the GATHERING of the BODY and that 'by course', (IN ORDER, one and THEN another), and there MUST BE AN INTERPRETER.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Get this, keep SILENCE IF there is NO interpreter.
Please understand, Paul is teaching the whole church of how the church should recieve edification.

Get this, keep silence if there is no interpreter.

When there is no interpreter, I'm not going to go to the front of the room and start speaking with tongues to the people. What's the point? No one understands... But instead I will pray to God.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Note this, Paul is saying that we should not go in front of the room and start speaking with tongues to the people when there is no interpreter, there is no purpose, no one understands. This is what this chapter is about.

I believe what is offered here is what I stated at the end of my previous post. One would fare FAR better to read the two chapters devoted to the 'use of tongues' and read ALL that is offered rather than 'pick and choose' those LINES of scripture that MATCH what someone may or may not have TAUGHT you.

It is you that doesn't understand of what the two chapters are about.

It is NOT as if there is NO instruction concerning this 'gift'. The ONLY WAY that we HAVE to discern that which is TRUE and that which is NOT is to compare it to that which is offered up IN INSTRUCTION.

The instruction is only when someone interprets tongues, not when you pray with tongues..

A number of studies have been done that indicate that EACH geographic area where 'tongues' were studied showed that the 'tongues' being used were very similar to the local. But those in different areas, separated geologically by a significant distance, were DIFFERENT but similar to those of the SAME geologic area. This is an indication that what is 'called tongues' were nothing other than 'learned behavior'. For those that speak USUALLY speak in a SIMILAR manner to those that they congregate with. And this DIFFERS depending on the DISTANCE from 'each other'.

Studies have shown that a person has no control of what he or she is saying. This would be proof that it is not made up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc

Tongues is not gibberish, you are going against the Bible.

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
(1Co.13:1)

Tongues is a heavenly language no men understands.

2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
(1Co.14:2)

14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
(1Co.14:14,15)

Thankyou, God bless.

Back