Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tongues, initial evidence of one having the Holy Spirit

Imagican said:
Since God KNOWS what's in OUR hearts, there is NO NEED for ANY 'special language' in order to SPEAK to Him.

Blessings,

MEC
It would be very good if you read the post above that I have addressed to 'animal'. Tongues is the ability to pray in the spirit, the tongue speaker is speaking mysteries in the spirit. He can be praying for someone or something he doesn't know about. As you can see, this is a good ability that every Christian with the Holy Spirit to have. As it is the Holy Spirit praying through you. At the same time you are also edifying yourself in the spirit, which means that you're building up yourself in the spirit, you grow spiritually. I hope that you start to understand the logical reason of speaking with tongues.

Anyways, by this it seems as though you are implying that we don't need prayer, since God knows our hearts...

animal said:
Scripture is not evidence of anything. Certainly not this God language.

And is the story about the father supposed to mean this ability also makes him psychic? Or he also has the ability to save the life of his son without knowing about it? I was in a car accident and the only people that even knew I was driving a car were the atheists at the home I had left an hour before. No one had some weird premonition and no one spoke in tongues. Is my survival proof that NOT speaking in tongues can safe someones life? Of course not. It's proof that things happen. Sometimes these things kill you. Most of the time they don't.
It was just an example, maybe we here need a Bible study on prayer...

follower of Christ said:
FightingAtheism said:
For ex., there was a situation when this person was in a car accident. So at this time, something told the father of the person to start praying. So the father started praying with tongues. Then about a minute later he got a phone call that his son had just got in a car accident. Thank God everything was alright with him. This is just an example for the purpose of praying with tongues.
This sounds like one of those stories passed around in evangelical groups to make everyone feel good about whatever the point is.
Most of these stories are entirely made up when any digging is done.

Not that God cant do anything He wants, but its just very convenient when the story presented seems to be just about proving a point.
1)It's an example of a point. 2) It is a true story. (You can go on and on about it, how it is just a coincidence... whatever... I made my point.)

Not that God cant do anything He wants...
Then why do we need prayer? God wont do anything without a person's prayer...

animal said:
I'm pretty sure God's going to do whatever he wants to no matter what.

Prayer is a nice thought though.

God wont do anything, not one thing, without a person's prayer. There's probably a person, that has the ability to pray in the spirit (pray in tongues), praying for you right now. Why does the Bible say to pray for your leaders? To pray for Israel? Etc...

False hope? It feels nice at the time but when everything goes wrong those who prayed will say something along the lines of "it wasn't God's will". You know this.

This isn't really the point of the thread though. The only point I was trying to make was that it's obviously gibberish or else children and adults would be speaking the same "language" and they're not.

animal said:
False hope? It feels nice at the time but when everything goes wrong those who prayed will say something along the lines of "it wasn't God's will". You know this.
There is a chain effect (what ever they call it) for everything. By the way, have you heard such thing as spiritual warfare? Maybe that will give you an answer for your statement.

Imagican said:
Since God KNOWS what's in OUR hearts, there is NO NEED for ANY 'special language' in order to SPEAK to Him.

Blessings,

MEC

I disagree MEC. Why should we say anything then?

We are all different. We all have different ways of expressing ourselves - not only to one another but to our heavenly father. And we all have different gifts that enable us to express that which is within us.

I find myself often on my face bawling my eyes out to God thanking him for the wonder of his grace, mercy and love shown to a wretch such as I. Sometimes I have a sense of His presence which is almost tangible as though I am being showered with what I can only describe as tranquility and peace. I know of nothing else like it. It is not a physical sensation as such but it is as though it invades my whole being. Sometimes there are no words that I know of to express what is within me to my father and I find myself expressing these things in strange tongues. It's not always the same tongue. Nor is it repetitive babble because I recognise structure within it. Sometimes it lasts for a few moments, sometimes minutes. Sometimes it is as though I am having a conversation and although I don't physically comprehend the words, my spirit seems to.

Now perhaps I am weak. Perhaps God knows that one such as I NEEDS to be built up in communion such as this. Perhaps God has given others, other gifts - in fact I know he has - but whether all should have this 'gift' that I have is up to God. Of course I would that all had this gift but I know that God has made us such that we don’t.

But do you know what concerns me? It is the attitude of those who don’t have this (or any other gift) who because of their lack of knowledge or understanding of such a gift, choose to deny it or rail against it. Yet again, I see people trying to apply an academic approach to something of the Spirit – yet it can only be apprehended by the Spirit.

I'm not sure what you mean by chain effect or how spiritual warfare is an answer to my statement (which statement?)

animal said:
What makes you a wretch and when this happens do you speak aloud?

It's just the way that it is.

Romans 7:24 'O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?'

Do I speak aloud? Yes, sometimes.

And Mutz,

Please allow me to offer this:

While I have personally NOT witnessed 'tongues' used properly. That, by NO MEANS, is NO indication that they DO NOT EXIST. I have simply NEVER witnessed what I would consider 'true tongues' and have never 'spoken in tongues' myself.

What I fear is that there ARE those that would encourage others to 'do' something to the POINT that those being influenced would 'create' what it is that they are being encouraged TO DO. These 'type' of 'tongues' are, if ANYTHING, counterproductive to a positive walk. For deception, whether it be directed at others or simply 'self deception' makes it difficult to FACE God through His Son. For Christ LIVES In the hearts of those that LOVE Him and follow His commandments. This being truth, if one lives in deception, regardless of it's FORM, that would be to MAKE Christ a partaker in the deception.

So, 'tongues' certainly existed durring the time of the apostles. That is WRITTEN. The distinction is certainly debatable so far as WHAT 'tongues' actually ARE. Do they exist today? I am certain that if God has a PURPOSE for them that they do indeed exist. I personally have yet to recognize any 'true tongues'.

Blessings,

MEC

Sorry for the late response.

onelove said:
Don't see the connection in 1 Co 12,so let's look at the definition you provided.

There was a typo, I meant 1 Co 14.

I Corinthians 14:2 "For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."

"Mysteries" as given in the Greek text is "divine secrets"; so why would he be speaking in divine secrets? Note also that the word "unknown" was added by the translators for it just wasn't there in the early manuscripts.

He is speaking mysteries in the spirit.

Corinthians 14:4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifeth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."

If I went to a foreign land and taught this chapter in English, where no one knows the English language, the only one that would be built up by what I said would be me. However, if I went to a church that spoke English and taught in the English, the entire church would be edified or built up by those same words. If you are truly teaching the Word of God to the body of Christ and speaking in their language, then they would gain from what you would say.

It edifies the spirit inside you, it charges up the spirit inside you, at this moment, in this spiritual prayer you are building yourself up in the spirit.

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is to be able to learn another tongue or language than you were brought up with, so that you can teach someone who is not of your language

Learn? If that's true then what one passage you have to support your conclusion?

I Corinthians 14:5 "I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."

Prayer was never meant to be edifying to others, especially praying in an unknown tongue. But the one issue that the Cor. had was speaking in an unknown tongue unto men there's no interpreter. Paul was against that, so this is what he said: But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. (1Co.14:28) You can see that Paul was not against praying in an unknown tongue, he was against speaking in an unknown tongue unto men when there is no interpreter.

I Corinthians 14:6 "Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?"

Paul is saying that if I come to you with great revelations and knowledge speaking in a in a language that that you do not understand, what will it profit you? Of course if you cannot understand what is being said in that foreign tongue, it will be nothing more than a turkey call. You wouldn't know if it was prophesying, doctrine, or knowledge.

1 Corinthians 14:6 "Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?"

It will profit him, but it won't profit the others around you because no one understands. So don't start speaking in an unknown tongue unto man when there's no interpreter, pray to God.

If you pray in a language that your mind doesn't understand, then of what benefit is your prayer. You uttered words that mean nothing, and have created nothing but noise. When you pray to the Father, know exactly who you are praying to and for what purpose. However if you are just muttering words and sounds that have no meaning, your prayer is in vain. In short, you have to be able to communicate, before people know what you are saying. Remember that this chapter is dealing with teaching those that are foreigners to you, and those that do not speak your language. The ability to communicate is a gift from God.

-----------------------------

If you pray in a language that your mind doesn't understand, then of what benefit is your prayer. You uttered words that mean nothing, and have created nothing but noise. When you pray to the Father, know exactly who you are praying to and for what purpose. However if you are just muttering words and sounds that have no meaning, your prayer is in vain.

4 He that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
(1Co.14:4)

You edify yourself in the spirit, you build up yourself in the spirit, you charge up yourself in the spirit, your spirit grows when you pray in the spirit, pray in an unknown tongue.

2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
(1Co.14:2)

Paul was certainly not against praying in the spirit, praying in tongues. He was against speaking in tongues unto men when there's no interpreter.

27 If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
(1Co.14:27,28)

The pattern was only when tongues were being speaking unto men, and of course, interpreted. But if there's no interpreter, you have to keep silence -meaning don't stand up and start speaking in an unknown tongue unto men, and pray to God.

In short, you have to be able to communicate, before people know what you are saying. Remember that this chapter is dealing with teaching those that are foreigners to you, and those that do not speak your language. The ability to communicate is a gift from God.

No:

In this chapter Paul is given the Corinthians the correct pattern of speaking with tongues. The Corinthians, as new Christians, were misusing the ability to speak with tongues. As we know, tongues cannot be understood, so the Corinthians were speaking with tongues unto men when there was no interpreter. So because of this, Paul told them that when there's no interpreter, let him speak unto God (v28). Basically, Paul is telling them that the church wont receive edification when you speak in an unknown tongue unto men, because no men understands him (v2). In this case, for the whole church to receive edification, Paul wants them to prophesy (v5), or at least have an interpreter.

(Please keep in mind that Paul was not against praying with tongues, he was against people speaking with tongues unto men when there's no interpreter.)

animal said:
Scripture doesn't prove anything.

?????

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; -Eph.2:20

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
(Jn.5:39)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
(Ac.17:11)

I have countless numbers of holy books I could toss your way if you would like. I can bring out some things as ridiculous as speaking in tongues. Scripture proves nothing.

animal said:
I have countless numbers of holy books I could toss your way if you would like. I can bring out some things as ridiculous as speaking in tongues. Scripture proves nothing.

The only book that is holy is the Bible, it's my authority.

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; -Eph.2:20

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
(Jn.5:39)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
(Ac.17:11)

Tell me, what's so rediculous about speaking with tongues? When people abuse the ability of speaking with tongues, it is the people who are rediculous, not the ability to speak with tongues...

It's your authority I'm sure but that's also your opinion.

I've already said I'm not trying to say speaking in tongues isn't "real". My only point is that there is no proof that it IS real and I have no reason to believe it. And the only slight bit of evidence I have shows that it is NOT real and that is that when children and adults speak in tongues they speak very very differently. If you can show me an adult and a child both speaking the same or at least similar "language" then you would at least have a smidgen of an argument (honestly still a very weak one).

Speaking in tongues is as ridiculous as my soul flying out of my face every time I sneeze.

Back