Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Transubstantiation

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
No he says

This IS my body

This IS my Blood

Jesus said what he meant, and he meant what he said.
Right, and he meant what he said with "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." The “is” used there is the very same “is” used with “is my body”. Do you claim that he must be understood literally then as well?

Paul recognised this:

“Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.” (1Cor 11:27-29).
How does this suggest transubstantiation? When Paul spoke of the body in this passage it is the Church that Paul had in mind. Note that it is whoever eats and drinks without discerning the body….and it isn’t whoever eats without discerning the body and whoever drinks without discerning the blood. Paul wants the participant to discern the body and didn’t require the participant to discern the blood. The “body” that Paul is concerned with here is the same body that he is concerned with at both the start and end of this passage. It is the metaphorical body, namely the Church. It is the Church that was being despised (v. 22) and not being discerned…..and the remedy that Paul provides is for the hungry to eat at home so that they can wait and all eat together….so that none are humiliated and the Church is not despised. That remedy solved the problem because “the body” was the Church. It would not have solved the problem if “the body” was the one that hung on the cross.

Protestants try to claim that Jesus was only speaking metaphorically at the Last Supper.…There is no context for a person holding (what looks like) a piece of bread and saying “"Take, eat; this is my body."”, in the surrounding text or in the lives of the hearers, for it to be a metaphor.
I realize that you can’t see it, but the fact that they were in the middle of a meal where the elements of the meal act as symbols of the Passover event provides an extremely appropriate context for a figurative understanding. There was no context or precedent for a person holding (what still looks like) a piece of bread and saying “"Take, eat; this is my body" and meaning that a transformation of substances had occurred whilst the accidents remained unchanged.

The context to understand Jesus words at the last Supper is John 6:51-58.
and yet not one of the synoptic gospels contains the bread of life discourse even though (according to you) it is the necessary context for the last supper (described at Matthew 26, Mark 14, and Luke 22)….and, of course the Last Supper isn’t described in John. I find your claim (regarding the proper context) doesn’t pass the smell test.

“For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.”

“Indeed” is Strong G230:- “indeed, surely, of a surety, truly, of a (in) truth, verily, very.”

In other words – this is not a metaphor. His flesh really is food. His blood really is drink.
you will find Strong’s G228 (“true”) used in John 15:1

1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.​

Strong’s G228 and Strong’s G230 both trace their origin to Strong’s G227 (truly) ….unless you want to assert that Jesus is truly (not figuratively) a vine, then you must abandon this declaration that Strong’s G230/indeed cannot be used in a metaphor.

In Biblical terms to eat someone’s flesh, as a metaphor, is to persecute them and bring them to ruin.
I do not think that the biblical uses that you provided are all metaphors. Psalms 27:2 is (where eating = destroying) but the rest seem to be more hyperbole where they (the people under consideration) are so hungry that they will eat their own flesh or are so evil that they will eat the flesh of others. In any event, a few (at most) varied uses of eating as a negative metaphor does not prevent Jesus from using eating his flesh as a metaphor for belief in him. The context of the bread of life discourse is not Psalms 27:2 or any of the other verses that you listed. The context is the feeding of the 5 thousand and the manna that gave temporary life to the Israelites. In that context and after Jesus identifies himself as the bread of eternal life and after he has declared that the bread of life must be eaten, how is he prevented from using “eating his flesh” as a metaphor for belief in him and the sacrifice of his flesh on the cross for the salvation of the world?

Jesus was most certainly not using eat my flesh as a metaphor. He meant it literally.
Again, no Catholic literally eats his flesh…the accidents aren’t present to be chewed

But we ask like Mary at the Annunciation “How shall this be?”. It sounds completely repugnant.

God’s wonderful answer is Transubstantiation. We eat the substance of Christ's body but under the appearance and taste (accidents) of bread.
I wouldn’t blame God for transubstantiation, and I wouldn’t dismiss it as repugnant, but I would dismiss it as nonsensical. As you say, the essence of an accident is to exist in a substance. To claim that the substance of a body (the body being a physical thing) is present without any proper accidents being physically present is (to me) a nonsensical claim. It is the presence of accidents that gives rise to the presence of a physical substance such as a body. One could hold the idea of a body in one’s mind (without any accidents present), but one can’t have a physical thing present without accidents being present. To claim that the body is “present” is to render that term meaningless. To claim that the substance of the bread is gone when the accidents are still physically there and unchanged, is again (to me) a nonsensical claim. Catholics claim a supernatural intervention, but even an all-powerful God can’t make square circles and can’t create the conditions required by the claim of transubstantiation (as those conditions IMHO amount to an absurdity). Further, I am not sure that a supernatural intervention is even necessary for the claim of transubstantiation in today’s world. It would seem that a person, (who is in substance a woman), can decide to renounce that substance and adopt the substance of a man without the need for any physical change to take place. Shall I, based on nothing more than the declaration of that person agree that, under the species of a female body, a man is present in a true, real, and substantial manner? No, accidents matter and determine the presence or absence of the substance in which they exist.

Please allow me to conclude by saying that what troubles me the most about this issue is not that Mungo and I disagree on our understandings of Jesus’s (and Paul’s) words on this matter. What bothers me is the division that has resulted in Christianity because of the various possible interpretations. I don’t doubt for a second that Mungo’s position is held by him/her because it is the result of a sincere effort to search for the truth. As such, I respect Mungo’s position (and I also believe that God would respect it as well). I must also acknowledge that Mungo’s position is/has been the position of many righteous and intelligent Christians throughout history (though it fails to attain a majority within Catholicism itself). Hopefully Mungo would be prepared to extend the same grace and respect to my position. I would love to see more unity within Christendom (particularly within these ever more hostile times), but I doubt that significant more unity can be achieved in this area because the opposing views are so fundamentally different.

Last edited:
I am Anglo-Catholic and believe in the doctrine of consubstantiation. I understand why others hold different views and it doesn’t really bother me. Can’t you all just agree to disagree? 🤣

"Take, eat; this IS my body." (not represents, not symbolises)

"Drink of it, all of you; for this IS my blood (not represents, not symbolises)

This was so important that this ritual was one of the key items of the early Christian assembly.
“They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers” (Acts 2:42)
I would offer Thats the big difference between a Catholic and Jehovah Witnesses both trusting what the eyes see walking by sight (understand by looking at the things seen) and not the things not seen things what the Spirit of Christ reveals. Neither receive the figurative meanings of the of wonderful parables.

While the Jehovah Witnesses refuse blood from other creatures from entering their body. . following the words "pour out the blood and cover it with dust" over and over in ceremonial laws. Laws as shadows or figures but not the true eternal not seen. Catholic say some miracle happens in their mouth and dispute God informing things that enter mouth come out as draught and canot enter a soul . Both sects trust in ceremonial shadows. Shadows like with Peter Pan as if they were the real eternal things.

Mankind forgetting without parables God spoke not.

He gives us a beautiful parable to help us understand the metaphor "drink the blood of mankind " It's loaded with metaphors that speak of the gospel. Davis arrested in jail. God give him a thirst for hearing the cool water of the gospel. God sent three apostles, three represents the end of a matter to represent Christs labor of love giving His Holy Spirt in jeopardy of his own life It brightened David's eyes and he refused to drink it but poured it out to show spirit life was given in jeopardy of His Holy Spirit a living sacrifice god does not except dead it must be poured out

(My addition)

2 Samuael 23:14 And David was then in an hold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem (City of Bread) . And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate! And the three mighty men (apostles) brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the Lord. And he said, Be it far from me, O Lord, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives? therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mighty men

To drink the blood, is to give one's own life in jeopardy for another. God's love in action. . . full power

I would think if a person aged the meaning can be seen clearer. When my wife sends me her apostle on a mission to the supermarket it becomes a real adventure. I buckle up. . Her commandments are clear the list seems to add new words to my vocabulary I search for help from the whipper snappers LOL .

Water as that seen to spirit not seen or. . . . . . . blood as that seen to the same spirit Spirt of faith Christs.

Satan loves to turn things upside down inspired from earth.

Worshipping a wafer is Idolatry
You have it backwards. If the Eucharist is nothing but a wafer, it is you who are committing idolatry. For unless the Eucharist IS the actual body and blood of Christ, you are committing the ultimate act of idolatry by worshiping a mere symbol. You are worshiping a golden calf; a misrepresentation of the God who became man.

"We have a cup that we bless; is not this cup we bless a participation (communicatio / κοινωνία - koinōnia) in Christ’s blood? Is not the bread we break a participation (participatio) in Christ’s body?" (1 Cor 10:16)

---> Communion - κοινωνία (koinōnia) means: fellowship, association, community, communion, joint participation, intercourse, intimacy
(Source)

Trying to have fellowship, association, community, communion, participation, intercourse and intimacy with a symbol is the height of idolatry because it is a false representation of who God is. It says God is but a symbol. It says it is not His body and blood. It says God is not present amongst His people. It says "He is not here". It says God is not Immanuel. It says God is Hester Panim.

Worshipping a wafer is Idolatry
Catholics don't believe the host is a wafer.

Why is a cracker and grape juice necessary to remember Jesus? Don't you remember him anyway? It all seems rather silly when compared to Communion at Mass.

Catholics don't believe the host is a wafer.

Why is a cracker and grape juice necessary to remember Jesus? Don't you remember him anyway? It all seems rather silly when compared to Communion at Mass.
I was a Roman Catholic.In the St.Josephs Missal they show pictures of when the priest raises up the Wafer and the bells are rung, they believe the Host[wafer} is being transformed into the Eucharist, ie, the body of Christ.
Those who follow the biblical teaching believe the symbols are used so we can remember the real and actual body of Our Lord. We are told this do...in remembrance of me...He does not say, this do and watch the wafer transform into me. I can send pictures of my missal and how it explains it. Do you still have yours?

I was a Roman Catholic.In the St.Josephs Missal they show pictures of when the priest raises up the Wafer and the bells are rung, they believe the Host[wafer} is being transformed into the Eucharist, ie, the body of Christ.
Those who follow the biblical teaching believe the symbols are used so we can remember the real and actual body of Our Lord. We are told this do...in remembrance of me...He does not say, this do and watch the wafer transform into me. I can send pictures of my missal and how it explains it. Do you still have yours?
This is My body,
This is My blood.

Could you read John 6:53 and check out the Greek interlinear and tell us what it means?
IOW, could you translate it literally.

This is My body,
This is My blood.

Could you read John 6:53 and check out the Greek interlinear and tell us what it means?
IOW, could you translate it literally.
Did anyone bite Jesus,or cut Him to drink blood? We are told to cut off hands and pluck out eyes....should we check out the interlinear?

Did anyone bite Jesus,or cut Him to drink blood? We are told to cut off hands and pluck out eyes....should we check out the interlinear?
Jesus said to eat and drink Him.
Transubstantiation seems like a good way.
So you admit that John 6:53 means to CHEW.

I'll leave it at that.

Jesus said to eat and drink Him.
Transubstantiation seems like a good way.
So you admit that John 6:53 means to CHEW.

I'll leave it at that.
The bible does not teach transubstantiation.
Jesus also taught that He is the door, and water would come from inside of us, living water....I will leave it at that.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back