Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Two Witnesses and Dead Bodies

In considering the "two witnesses," I believe Scripture points to them being...many. Rather than two men, such as Moses and Elijah, I see them as two groups of witnesses.

If that is correct then what is meant by "their dead bodies?"

Revelation 11:8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.​

Will the bodies of many witnesses be laying around in a literal street? I do want to say that the "great city" doesn't speak of Jerusalem. Knowing that helps in understanding where and perhaps what...the dead bodies are.

They are probably Michael and Gabriel. Consider this:

Revelations 11:1-3 “Then there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, “Get up and measure the temple of God and the altar, and those who worship in it. Leave out the court which is outside the] temple and do not measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months. And I will grant authority to my two witnesses…”

Where else do you find this parallel passage?

Zechariah 2:1-3 “Then I lifted up my eyes and looked, and behold, there was a man with a measuring line in his hand. 2 So I said, “Where are you going?” And he said to me, “To measure Jerusalem, to see how wide it is and how long it is.” 3 And behold, the angel who was speaking with me was going out, and another angel was coming out to meet him,”

Hmmm…looks a bit suspicious here. This isn’t proof right here, but the comparisons are undeniable.

Revelations 11:4 “4 These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.”

Again look at the parallel in Zechariah 4:

Zechariah 4:1-2 “He said to me, “What do you see?” And I said, “I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side.”

And further on asking a second time who these olive trees are:

Zechariah 4:11-14 “11 Then I said to him, “What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?” 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, “What are the two olive [e]branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?” 13 So he answered me, saying, “Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two [f]anointed ones who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth.”

Now I don’t know how one cannot at least acknowledge similarities here. But how do we know they are Michael and Gabriel? Let’s go back to where we first find 2 olive trees.

1 Kings 6:23 “ Also in the inner sanctuary he made two cherubim [angels] of olive wood, each ten cubits high.”

This is speaking of the sanctuary and what does it tell us about the earthly being an image of?

Hebrews 8:5 “who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, “See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain”

The pattern on earth was a direct replica of what it looked like in the heavenlies. Now Zacharias while performing his priestly duties was met by an angel, and what did he say?

Luke 1:19 “And the angel answered and said to him, “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God…”

There were only 2 angels ever named in the bible (not including lucifer). And what does Gabriel say about Michael?

Daniel 10:21 “However, I will tell you what is inscribed in the writing of truth. Yet there is no one who stands firmly with me against these forces except Michael your prince”

Knowing there were 2 angels in the sanctuary, and Gabriel being one, Michael must be the other as this passage means they stand together against the forces. I don’t know of anywhere else in the bible of anybody, Moses, Elijah, Enoch as being referenced as the olive trees. I believe these passages speak that the two witnesses will be two angels. Gabriel and most likely Michael. Michael is the leader of God’s armies (Revelation 12:7) and his name means asked as a rhetorical question, Who is like God? Gabriel means, Strong man of God?

But the're angels, and not human? Angels can take on human form and there are many examples of such.

Genesis 18:22 “Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before the Lord.”
Genesis 19:1 “Now the two angels came to Sodom in the evening as Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground.”
Hebrews 13:2 “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.”

This is the cliff notes version, but I don’t see how it cannot be any clearer who the Bible points to who the two witnesses are.

One problem with viewing the angels Michael and Gabriel as the "two witnesses" is...they are angels. They are in incorruptible bodies. They cannot die.

Revelation 11:7-8 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

The two witnesses, which I see as two groups of witnesses....lots of us, is found in:

The two witnesses are...

Revelation 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.​

God tells us that candlesticks are churches....

Revelation 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

Candlesticks are churches. The two churches He approved of, out of the seven in Revelation, are the churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia. There are many in the congregations of those two spiritual churches.

Those were the two candlesticks and then we have two olive trees which also speaks of many...

Romans 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?​

Olive trees, it appears to me, is speaking of Israel and Gentiles, grafted together. Olive trees and candlesticks are the two witnesses and....they are many.

They are the two groups of 144,000.

The passages in Zechariah correspond with the passages in Revelation. They are in harmony with each other.

Putting the 2 candlesticks with the 7 churches is putting a round block into a square hole. They don't fit.

The wild olive tree of gentiles are those not feeding from the natural olive tree. Hence they have to leave their tree, and be grafted into the tree that receives its life source from Jesus. Making only one olive tree.

The passages in Zechariah correspond with the passages in Revelation. They are in harmony with each other.

Yes.

Putting the 2 candlesticks with the 7 churches is putting a round block into a square hole. They don't fit.

Candlesticks are churches.

The wild olive tree of gentiles are those not feeding from the natural olive tree. Hence they have to leave their tree, and be grafted into the tree that receives its life source from Jesus. Making only one olive tree.

Both the wild and the natural receive life from Jesus. There are two olive trees, one wild and one natural beside Jesus.

Revelation 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

God tells us that candlesticks are churches....
Revelation 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
I see a bunch of sevens, but not a bunch of two's. Like I said, round ball in a square hole. It just doesn't quite add up so to speak.

Both the wild and the natural receive life from Jesus. There are two olive trees, one wild and one natural beside Jesus.
Romans 11:24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?
A Gentile must be taken off the wild branch and grafted in. Taken off and and grafted in. This text is only one Olive Tree receiving nourishment, not two. Hence the grafting in required because it was taken off of a tree that wasn't feeding from the nourishment of Jesus.

One problem with viewing the angels Michael and Gabriel as the "two witnesses" is...they are angels. They are in incorruptible bodies. They cannot die.

Revelation 11:7-8 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
1 Timothy 6:16
who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

Angels are given a free pass on immortality, but Jesus isn't?

It is entirely possible God became flesh and dwelt amongst us, but God couldn't allow angels the same privilege if you will?

Back