Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Verna

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Since her beloved husband died, Verna's been "going through it," and its been rough, to put it mildly. Now I see why the NT encourages believers to watch out for older widows. If it gets this way in the 21st century for a widow of modest means, just imagine what was going on 2,000 years ago in Greco-Roman cultures. ugh.

We talk, usually daily. She's teaching me things that a lot of baby Christians don't get to learn, not like this, not this soon after being saved. She talked to me even before I (miraculously) got saved/Jesus saved me, and now...4 years later, The Lord has changed me mightily ("Know Jesus, Know Change"), and I'm learning from her.

God put us in each others' lives for a number of reasons, not all of which are apparent at this point. I need a friend, that's for sure. Verna's been a Christian since childhood, so she has decades of wisdom and experience to share with someone who will listen and hear what she's saying. We both get lonely. I get the sense that we're both kind of outsiders. I'm considered a "mental patient," but I have a "good family" behind me, etc., so now I'm living more comfortably than many (most?) other "mental patients," especially the ones with comparable backstories. Verna is a widow. Her children are very much adults. She and her husband bought a nice house together, and now she's surrounded by people who are still very much in the mainstream of society. Its The South, so there's still the formal showing of "respect" and such, but...hey, I live in the south, too; those "yes m'am" and "have a blessed day"-isms often don't amount to anything of real substance or value.

Please pray for Verna. She gets tired from it all. I encourage her to eat more, eat anything, but her appetite has been affected. There have been some (relatively minor) break-ins around her neighborhood. She's got a good alarm system and all, but that kinda stuff...can get to you.

Thanks. :)

thanks, both of you. :)

I'm blessed to have her as my friend. Its interesting. I've learned a lot. Before I went through it and then Jesus saved me, there's no way I would have thought of Verna as a special friend. Funny how God can change people (and our situations, too).

OK. Thanks again.

Since her beloved husband died, Verna's been "going through it," and its been rough, to put it mildly. Now I see why the NT encourages believers to watch out for older widows. If it gets this way in the 21st century for a widow of modest means, just imagine what was going on 2,000 years ago in Greco-Roman cultures. ugh.

We talk, usually daily. She's teaching me things that a lot of baby Christians don't get to learn, not like this, not this soon after being saved. She talked to me even before I (miraculously) got saved/Jesus saved me, and now...4 years later, The Lord has changed me mightily ("Know Jesus, Know Change"), and I'm learning from her.

God put us in each others' lives for a number of reasons, not all of which are apparent at this point. I need a friend, that's for sure. Verna's been a Christian since childhood, so she has decades of wisdom and experience to share with someone who will listen and hear what she's saying. We both get lonely. I get the sense that we're both kind of outsiders. I'm considered a "mental patient," but I have a "good family" behind me, etc., so now I'm living more comfortably than many (most?) other "mental patients," especially the ones with comparable backstories. Verna is a widow. Her children are very much adults. She and her husband bought a nice house together, and now she's surrounded by people who are still very much in the mainstream of society. Its The South, so there's still the formal showing of "respect" and such, but...hey, I live in the south, too; those "yes m'am" and "have a blessed day"-isms often don't amount to anything of real substance or value.

Please pray for Verna. She gets tired from it all. I encourage her to eat more, eat anything, but her appetite has been affected. There have been some (relatively minor) break-ins around her neighborhood. She's got a good alarm system and all, but that kinda stuff...can get to you.

Thanks. :)

You got a gem lady there buddy. Keep honoring her as your 'spiritual mom.' Verna lifted up and may her remaining days of pilgrimage here on planet earth be long and healthy.

God Bless

me again. I am blessed to know Verna. She's helped me as....well, as life happened, I guess. Jesus saved me/I got saved 4 years ago. My growth has been gradual and uneven but, considering where I started...miraculous.

Anyway, over those 4 years, my friendship with Verna has changed. She once worked in a psych ward. She quit (it was for a lil extra $$$) because of the horrible screams she heard from patients being electroshocked. Surprise, surprise; I (of course...) was once shocked, and now I'm...remarkably, miraculously, normal. Imperfect, flawed, prone to sin, but...all in all, amazingly whole. Jesus does this for His children.

So, we listen to each others' stories, concerns, problems, prayers, etc. I've learned a lot about life by listening to her talk about her life. We come from very different backgrounds, but our shared concern for each other and love for The Lord keeps us in touch. My dad asks about her. My mama does too, sometimes. Verna's told some of her family a bout me.

Sorry to ramble. Even a lot of Christians didn't have time for me, when I was estranged from my parents, a burn out, mentally unwell, etc....but Verna did then, and she definitely does now. We don't agree on some things (she voted for Trump, lol), but we both love The Lord and...yeah. It really is a special friendship.

Keep those prayers coming, please. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back