Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Violence in video games - canvassing opinion

I think that violence in video games is the same as violence in movies or any other media. One negative thing is that it desensitizes the populace in general to the horror of murder and abuse against another person. I wonder if there would be less violence in general if people were exposed to it less, because observers would be less tolerant of such acts and more willing to do something about it.

It doesn't desensitize people in how they treat others. Isolation is what causes people to dehumanize others in their minds. Some of the nicest guys i've ever met play games like Call of Duty, etc... and these are God fearing, people loving types who help others daily. Their lives are not changes due to playing violent games and their need to help others isn't altered. Now, if they kept to themselves, isolated from others that would lead to a deumanization of others.

On a side note...some of the more recent violent offenders in the news had mental disabilities as well.

That is a good point about isolation. Isolation alone can cause people to go off the deep end or at least be desensitized to people and life in general. I just don't know if I would call what they had mental disabilities. Many of them were on multiple medications at once for psychological issues. I'm sure that in itself can cause some mental damage and we all know it causes crazy mood swings, violence and hallucinations while on it and coming off of it.

[MENTION=93407]Kaileymarie[/MENTION] :

I guess with some kids the distinction between fiction and reality gets a bit blurred, when it comes to violent video games. I guess with the military, though, which many people regard as a really good career, the possibility of violence and the ability to live through it is all part of it.

Blessings.

I guess with some kids the distinction between fiction and reality gets a bit blurred, when it comes to violent video games. I guess with the military, though, which many people regard as a really good career, the possibility of violence and the ability to live through it is all part of it.

Blessings.

Yes! Thats a good way to put it, farouk. And certain medications very much aid in that process.

Obviously I have some beef with the pharm industry :)

Blessings.

Yes! Thats a good way to put it, farouk. And certain medications very much aid in that process.

Obviously I have some beef with the pharm industry :)

Sometimes a doc will try getting rid of all pills for a patient and seeing if it works better that way!

You see what I mean about the military, though, do you? the possibility of violence is all part of it.

Blessings.

Oh yeah, I can totally agree with medications causing bad side effects. I used to take a medication for my stomach that after a few months made me suicidal.

While I am not against medications (Lord knows there are plenty of people that NEED it that don't get it) it can also be a cause. Though in one of the most recent mass shooting cases the shooter needed meds and hadn't been taking them for months...mix that with the isolation and it was a recipe for disaster sadly. Of course that's barely talked about in the news...they just blame games because it's easier than dealing with the real issues.

Because of First Amendment (Freedom of Speech/Press), taken to extremes, soon it will be "anything goes."
On top of that, our society is becoming more self-centered, bringing narcissim to a whole new level, with parents more interested in doing their thing than tending the children they bring into this world.
Often video games take the place of parental supervision (I admit to using this technique, but for limited times.)
Video games are addicting - with increasing use of video game addiction recovery centers.
My friend's husband (in his 30's) chose video games over his FAMILY - and as she & the kids packed up to move, and he packed up to move to his parents house, he said, "Now I can play my games without anybody bugging me."

I've read years ago, violent video games were used to help desensitize soldiers preparing to fight in war.
Indeed, research conducted reveals similarly..."The results demonstrate that playing a violent video game, even for just 20 min, can cause people to become less physiologically aroused by real violence."
http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/faculty/caa/abstracts/2005-2009/07CAB.pdf

First they get desensitised to it through media where there are no consequences, some perhaps act out on it through environmental problems or meds, while others go into military service where there are not only no consequences, they can actually be regarded as a hero for doing it. Are heros really heros if in fact they operate in an unjust war? A topic for another thread for sure, too far off topic for this one.
i don't think this is off topic at all. i referred to some games in my earlier post as "interactive gun commercials" because that is exactly what they are. big hit games have actual gun manufacturers as sponsors and they send people over to the game developers to make sure the guns look, handle and sounds as close to the real thing as possible. i watched a playthrough of mass effect 2 because we heard so much praise and fuss over it, a scifi shooter with a tight plot and roleplaying elements sounds cool. what did i see? you're a guy, in the military, and you shoot stuff... "yippee" this isn't even a gun commercial game like black ops that has real guns and halo also has imaginary scifi guns too and yet you are again a guy in the military, shooting stuff.

there are big people pushing these things onto the game industry, trying to trample non-violent(or much less violent) games out of the way, so that people will want more guns in their homes and then go to the military to use guns. then they get to sell a lotta guns because they invested in games.

I actually played the Mass Effect Series. Didn't play it for the violence. It's just another interactive movie. Thing is, even if you don't play video games, there's also TV, and comic books, and oh yes, more TV. People just like their guns.

I think probably if you have kids, either DON'T let have them play violent video games, or tell them that in real life killing people just because you can is always wrong.

When it comes to adults, I think they can make their own informed decision.

I think probably if you have kids, either DON'T let have them play violent video games, or tell them that in real life killing people just because you can is always wrong.

questdriven:

Some good points here, yes.

Of course, what is the military, but a facility to defend people and kill people if necessary? It's widely regarded as a good and patriotic employer, and many 18 year olds are encouraged to join. It would all be seen as part of the transition to adulthood, I guess. In a manner of speaking.

Blessings.

questdriven:

Of course, what is the military, but a facility to defend people and kill people if necessary? It's widely regarded as a good and patriotic employer, and many 18 year olds are encouraged to join. It would all be seen as part of the transition to adulthood, I guess. In a manner of speaking.

Blessings.
I support the military. I'm only against unnecessary killing.

questdriven:

Blessings.
I support the military. I'm only against unnecessary killing.

questdriven:

Yes, I can see what you mean.

Blessings.

questdriven:

Blessings.

I haven't heard the idea of the army making a man out of a boy in a long time.Not that its not still said and I haven't just heard it. I have almost 22 years in.

Back