Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was Abraham's marriage to Hagar the result of lack of faith?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jmt356

It has been said that Abraham's marriage to Hagar was the fruit of lack of faith in God's promise that He would multiply Abraham "exceedingly" (Gen 17:2). However, Abraham's marriage to Hagar occurred in Genesis 16:3, before God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 17:2. So the two are unrelated, are they not?

God did promise to Abraham in an earlier verse that he would have descendants "from your own body":
Gen 15:4 And behold, the word of the Lord came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
Gen 15:5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."

However, Abraham's marriage to Hagar did not represent a lack of faith in this promise. God simply said that Abraham would have heirs "from your own body," not from Sarah's own body. I do not see anything in Abraham's taking Hagar as his wive and conceiving through her that demonstrates a lack of faith in God's promise that he would have heirs. It would be difficult if God promised that Abraham would have heirs through Sarah.

Last edited:
It has been said that Abraham's marriage to Hagar was the fruit of lack of faith in God's promise that He would multiply Abraham "exceedingly" (Gen 17:2). However, Abraham's marriage to Hagar occurred in Genesis 16:3, before God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 17:2. So the two are unrelated, are they not?

God did promise to Abraham in an earlier verse that he would have descendants "from your own body":
Gen 15:4 And behold, the word of the Lord came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
Gen 15:5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."

However, Abraham's marriage to Hagar did not represent a lack of faith in this promise. God simply said that Abraham would have heirs "from your own body," not from Sarah's own body. I do not see anything in Abraham's taking Hagar as his wive and conceiving through her that demonstrates a lack of faith in God's promise that he would have heirs. It would be difficult if God promised that Abraham would have heirs through Sarah.
Interesting. We do tend to inject into the text of chapter 15 that Sarai would be the means but at that time multiple wives was not uncommon. If anything, perhaps it was Sarai that lacked faith in God as she was the one that initiated the marriage with Hagar so that Abram could father children through her.

But then, in chapter 17 we find the following.

15 Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.
16 And I will bless her and also give you a son by her; then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall be from her.”
17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?”
18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh, that Ishmael might live before You!”
19 Then God said: “No, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.

Genesis 17:15-19 NKJV

Doesn't Abraham's reaction to God's proclamation that Sarai will bear him a son indicate doubt? I think it does. Considering how the angel Gabriel reacted by muting Zacharias for simply asking how it was possible that Elizabeth would have a son in her old age, Abraham's response of ridicule or sarcasm is borderline blasphemy, is it not?

The thing with Abraham and Sarah not trusting God for they doubted in their old age and both laughed at God, He did give them Issac as in whom was the promised child God would work through. God was also gracious to care for the needs of Hagar and Ishmael, but Ishmael being jealous of Issac is what brought about the hatred of the Arab nation towards God's people. Jealousy does bring about God's judgement on those who have no faith or trust in God and His timing.

It has been said that Abraham's marriage to Hagar was the fruit of lack of faith in God's promise
lets turn the table to us ? have we ever tried to rush God? have we ever lacked faith and in the end God came through ? like i heard a gospel singer ask how many has ever been at the red sea? no one raised there hand. he then explained like the children of israel was . all they could see was behind them pharaoh and his army .then God had moses stretch forth his staff the waters parted .several times up till the time go up the mountain to offer isaac as a sacrifice . he had a lack of faith. as i listened to my brother preach via face book .he used thomas my thoughts went to the father. in mark 9
23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. ( me to amen ) how about the rest of us.. have you ever been in a situation that looked bleak? the virus... something maybe money wise ,job wise . , my son after 8 years got cut from his job.yes he can draw unemployment plus the $600.00 federal . still as a father the concern can he get back on when things pick up? can he find another one?
a old preacher man said once he had to pray through.. his doubt his unbelief lack of faith.. were living in uncertain times and proverbs 3 trust in the Lord with all your heart.. suddenly is one of them back to faith school test. i really don't like test i dont do well... but see in school we was graded on how good of grade we got.. God grades on GRACE . that dont mean we shouldn't use faith. but means if we fail he still comes through. maybe not exactly how we hoped .but he came through

The thing with Abraham and Sarah not trusting God for they doubted in their old age and both laughed at God,
how would we have reacted ? see God had it all worked out Abraham become the father of faith 1 Corinthians 10 11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

To me it just demonstrates just how important the institution of marriage is to God and how we are to remain faithful to it even in the face of what may appear to us to be hopelessness. I don't know the exact verse so I have to paraphrase where it is said "In your patience you possess your souls." After all, God gave Adam one wife and not many.

lets turn the table to us ? have we ever tried to rush God? have we ever lacked faith and in the end God came through ? like i heard a gospel singer ask how many has ever been at the red sea? no one raised there hand. he then explained like the children of israel was . all they could see was behind them pharaoh and his army .then God had moses stretch forth his staff the waters parted .several times up till the time go up the mountain to offer isaac as a sacrifice . he had a lack of faith. as i listened to my brother preach via face book .he used thomas my thoughts went to the father. in mark 9
23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. ( me to amen ) how about the rest of us.. have you ever been in a situation that looked bleak? the virus... something maybe money wise ,job wise . , my son after 8 years got cut from his job.yes he can draw unemployment plus the $600.00 federal . still as a father the concern can he get back on when things pick up? can he find another one?
a old preacher man said once he had to pray through.. his doubt his unbelief lack of faith.. were living in uncertain times and proverbs 3 trust in the Lord with all your heart.. suddenly is one of them back to faith school test. i really don't like test i dont do well... but see in school we was graded on how good of grade we got.. God grades on GRACE . that dont mean we shouldn't use faith. but means if we fail he still comes through. maybe not exactly how we hoped .but he came through

Please show me in Genesis 22, Exodus 14 or anywhere else in scripture where Abraham lacked any faith in God as what I read is that he obeyed God.

Why would we not pray through the times of trials and tribulations as such things should be strengthening our faith as we trust in Christ for all things, Psalms 55:22; Matthew 11:28; Hebrews 4:16; 7:25

Ephesians 4:7 God does not grade us on grace, but gives each of us a measure of grace according to our needs depending who we are or where we are.

how would we have reacted ? see God had it all worked out Abraham become the father of faith 1 Corinthians 10 11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

I probably would have also laughed at first thinking God could not be serious saying He was going to give me a child even at my age of 65, but to also accept it knowing God has His reasons for everything He does. It has nothing to do with faith, but accepting God's will and purpose even if I don't understand it at first.

Please show me in Genesis 22, Exodus 14 or anywhere else in scripture where Abraham lacked any faith in God as what I read is that he obeyed God.
2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. ...
It has nothing to do with faith, but accepting God's will and purpose even if I don't understand it at first.
to say we accept we do it by faith. you may disagree which i am sure you will :lol but that's ok i never said HE DID NOT OBEY GOD .. but rather he struggled in his faith
several times up till the time go up the mountain to offer isaac as a sacrifice . he had a lack of faith
a lack of faith can be a struggle

God does not grade us on grace, but gives each of us a measure of grace according to our needs depending who we are or where we are.
naturally you have to word your way. so it sounds right race is the divine favor of God . when we fail a test ..i am sure you dont but i have .instead of a failure he grades us by grace ,
James 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV)
5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

i am sure you will disagree with this to ..thats ok i say he grades on Grace when testing

2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. ... to say we accept we do it by faith. you may disagree which i am sure you will :lol but that's ok i never said HE DID NOT OBEY GOD .. but rather he struggled in his faith a lack of faith can be a struggle

I never said he didn't obey God, but like all of us at times we just don't always understand His ways. It has nothing to do with lack of faith.

Genesis 20:1, 2 Abraham did tell Sarah to say she was his sister, as she actually was being his half sister he married. But, it had nothing to do with his faith in God, but of fear for his own life during his journey as he told Abimelech, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.

As far as Saran and Abraham laughing about having a child at their old age it had nothing to do with their faith in God, but that they could not understand at that time of their old age why God would now give them a baby. You have to go back and read Genesis chapters 15-18 that God was showing them there was nothing impossible that He can not do and Issac was part of the covenant promise to Abraham and through Abraham's seed.

naturally you have to word your way. so it sounds right race is the divine favor of God . when we fail a test ..i am sure you dont but i have .instead of a failure he grades us by grace ,
James 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV)
5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

i am sure you will disagree with this to ..thats ok i say he grades on Grace when testing

How can grace be graded in a person when it is freely given and measured out to us.

we just don't always understand His ways. It has nothing to do with lack of faith.
if you say BTW the faith we should use does not come over night .Abraham was told to leave his home country. he did so by faith ..but his faith had to grow through testing . which he/nor anyone else will do %100 . his faith growed and passed with isaac . Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.” he waited on the Lord . while serving him. his faith increased ..even his apostles asked increase our faith..
And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
trial testing comes . we may not do well each time .but by his grace/mercy he helps us each time.. the grade of GRACE :thumbsup we come forth like Gold

How can grace be graded in a person when it is freely given and measured out to us.
many teachers will grade on a curve if the class does not do well on a test.they will grant extra points. God grades on Grace ..Grace is free the free gift .he gives it as he chooses . as long as your set on technicalities your never going to understand it. because your thoughts are closed on the matter. besides its how i understand it and see it. i have yet to ask anyone to agree

I'm thinking that even though Sarai was mentioned by Abraham it wasn't her that was having a problem in the bedroom...
(99 years old... gonna be problematic at the get go)

Sarai laughing wasn't that complicated...she didn't have faith in Abraham...God of course she believed... Abraham..meh.
Abraham also knew what wasn't happening under his robe...he had a hard time swallowing this too. Sarai was younger than he was.

jerry63935 and this is how I understand it as I read the scriptures. It should never be an "I'm right, your wrong" debate, but discussions on how we believe, even if we do not always agree.

Of course faith grows like that of a mustard seed in the beginning when it is nourished through testing from trials and tribulations we face as we begin to trust God in all things. Our faith is Christ Jesus being God's free gift of grace under a better covenant as we are no longer under the curse of the law. God's ways are not our ways as we can not always understand His ways unless He reveals them to us.

Their is faith that does not doubt God if we are walking in the Spirit, Romans 8:7, 8, and then their is wavering faith that is a common condition of the flesh in our present earthly state as taught in James 1:6-8.

God doesn't choose who will receive His grace as it is we who believe and confess Christ as Lord and Savior that by God's free gift of grace being Christ Jesus that we have eternal life through Him.

IMO, I don't think Abraham and Sarah doubted God, and Sarah wanted him to have an heir as that is why she gave him Hagar. They only laughed not at God, but what He said about them having a child when they were so old and past the child bearing years.

I'm thinking that even though Sarai was mentioned by Abraham it wasn't her that was having a problem in the bedroom...
(99 years old... gonna be problematic at the get go)

Sarai laughing wasn't that complicated...she didn't have faith in Abraham...God of course she believed... Abraham..meh.
Abraham also knew what wasn't happening under his robe...he had a hard time swallowing this too. Sarai was younger than he was.

Actually there was only a ten year difference between the two as Sarah was 90 and Abraham 100 and God had shortened the life span to around 120 years, Genesis 17:17. I would probably laughed too if I was that old and God said I would have a baby. They both couldn't believe that God would give her a child at that age as Sarah stood at the door of the tent and heard God speak to Abraham that she would have a son and call his name Issac.

I'm 65 and my husband is only 54 and have been married 20 years. As much as we wanted children I am past childbearing years and I keep asking God to not pull a Sarah on me. LOL

You bring up some interesting points.
We have to go to the Covenant God made with Abraham.

In Genesis 15:18-21 God promises Abraham land that will go to him and to his descendants.
18On that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying,
“To your descendants I have given this land,
From the river of Egypt as far as the great river, the river Euphrates:

19the Kenite and the Kenizzite and the Kadmonite
20and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Rephaim
21and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Girgashite and the Jebusite.”

Who are the descendants of Abraham?

Earlier in this chapter, Abraham laments because he fears that the heir of his house will be Eliezer of Damascus...he says this because God has given him no offspring and he is childless. Verse 15:2

God tells Abraham that Eliezer will not be the heir, but someone from Abraham's own body. Verse 15:4

Then God took Abraham outside and showed him the stars and told him that he would have that many heirs...God meant through the Covenant...but we also understand that the direct descendant would be from Abraham's own body. Verse 15:5

The lack of faith comes about in Genesis 16.
I believe we can understand from this chapter that Sarah had become tired of waiting for a child and so gave her maid to Abraham.

I do believe this is a lack of faith because SHE had grown tired of waiting and convinced Abraham to have a child in her way. This reminds me of Adam and Eve...Eve convinced Adam to eat of the forbidden fruit. Abraham was convinced to have a child with the maid.

And we all know what happened because of this....

WIP
WIP wrote:

Doesn't Abraham's reaction to God's proclamation that Sarai will bear him a son indicate doubt? I think it does. Considering how the angel Gabriel reacted by muting Zacharias for simply asking how it was possible that Elizabeth would have a son in her old age, Abraham's response of ridicule or sarcasm is borderline blasphemy, is it not?

Maybe, but the specific issue I am focusing on is whether we can point to Abraham’s taking of Hagar as his wife or her bearing of Ishmael as evidence of Abraham’s lack of faith. I do not believe we can. The promise that Abraham would bear a son through Sarah came after Abraham took Hagar as his wife. Consider:

In Genesis 15, God promised Abraham that he would have an heir who would come from his own body (Gen 15:4) and that Abram’s descendants would be as numerous as the stars (Gen 15:5). Abram believed God, and his faith was accounted to him as righteousness (Gen 15:6).

In Genesis 16, Abraham took Hagar as his wife. She bore him Ishmael.

In Genesis 17, God promised to give Abraham and Sarah a son in their old age (Gen 17:16).

In Genesis 18, God promised that Sarah will have a son.

Therefore, the promise that Sarah would bear a son was made after Abraham took Hagar as his wife and bore Ishmael. Therefore, taking Hagar as Abraham’s wife and the bearing of Ishmael should not be viewed as signs of Abraham’s lack of faith in God’s promise. Abraham did not know of the promise at the time that he took Hagar as his wife.

Abraham had full faith that God would give him a son. God promised Abram that he would have an heir who would come from his own body (Gen 15:4) and that Abram’s descendants would be as numerous as the stars (Gen 15:5). Abram believed God, and his faith was accounted to him as righteousness (Gen 15:6). When Ishmael was born, Abraham came to see that birth as the fulfillment of God’s promise, which Abraham never doubted.

When God later said that Sarah would also bear Abraham a son, both Sarah (Gen 18:12) and Abraham laughed (Gen 17:17).

Wondering
wondering wrote:

The lack of faith comes about in Genesis 16.
I believe we can understand from this chapter that Sarah had become tired of waiting for a child and so gave her maid to Abraham.

I am not sure I agree with this. I have found nothing in Genesis 16 that suggests that Abraham or Sarah lacked faith or grew tired of waiting. It simply states that Sarai had borne Abram no children. She had an Egyptian maidservant, Hagar (Gen 16:1). Sarai said to Abram, The Lord has restrained me from bearing children; please, go in to my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children by her. Abram heeded the voice of Sarai (Gen 16:2). Then Sarai gave Hagar her to Abram to be his wife (Gen 16:3).

Abraham and Sarah may have very well had full faith in God’s promise in Genesis 15 to give Abraham descendants as numerous as the “stars,” but they may have believed, in good faith, that He did not intend to achieve this through Sarah. They may have believed that Abraham would have descendants through another wife, as polygamy was practiced at the time. It would have been demonstrative of a lack of faith on their part if God had promised that Sarah would bear Abraham children. However, that promise was not made until Genesis 17 and 18, after Ishmael had already been born.

God said himself that Sarah would be the one that would bore the chosen Israelite people, and not Hagar.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back