Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

weakness as strength

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
Was blessed by the sermon at church today. It was about how our infirmaries can bring glory to God. The passage about Paul's thorn in the flesh was brought up. Interestingly, the Greek word can actually mean something like being pierced with a stake, not just a thorn. (The meaning is broad, but the translators decided to translate it to thorn.)

God gloried in healing us of/preserving us in our weaknesses, and in our steadfastness to him in our weakness?

"Thorn" is KJV, unfortunately many modern translations refuse to deviate from the KJV in many areas.

Paul's thorn in the flesh was that of Satan's messenger trying to buffet him much like all of us at times. Buffet here means to strike repeatedly as Satan used his demons to come against Paul and persecute him everywhere he went. Paul prayed three times for God to take these persecutions away and God said "no" as God said "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness".

God is not going to keep us from being persecuted or going through trials and tribulations as even His own Son Christ Jesus was faced trials and tribulations being persecuted to death on the cross and many martyrs after him in other ways. Even so still today as many are persecuted even to death for the witness of Christ. God gives us His power and authority through His grace to give us strength when we are persecuted like Paul said:

2 Corinthians 12:9 Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Act 9:15; 2 Corinthians 4:8-12; Galatians 5:11; 2 Timothy3:10, 11; 1 Corinthians 15:30-32; 2 Corinthians 4:7-18; 6:3-10; 11:23-28; 12:5-10; Galatians 4:13, 15

2Cor 6:3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
2Cor 6:4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
2Cor 6:5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
2Cor 6:6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
2Cor 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
2Cor 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
2Cor 6:9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
2Cor 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Back