Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Wedding day extravagance.

Classik

I was just thinking lately how people willing spend money on their wedding days. Few days before the wedding day and some days after are all days of spend-and-spend-and-spend-on-whatever.

I remember the wedding at Cannan. Seems it was one of those expensive wedding ceremonies. Extravagance has been existing!

Could decent weddings still exist (one that is not done lavishly)? Seems the only aim is to entertain people.

...People do things probably not because they really wanna do 'em - maybe because they saw others doing 'em

If the wedding will cost more then the divorce you're in big trouble :)

The wedding in Cannan was not that big of a deal or the host would not have run out of booze.

Waste is bad.

But it's also supposed to be for life, and a memorable occasion.

(Wait until the bride and her mother and her bridesmaids get planning the event... :) )

If the wedding will cost more then the divorce you're in big trouble :) .

Divorces in my area are still typically under $7000, with most well under that.

The last wedding I attended cost the bride & groom & their parents over $15,000. The sit-down dinner reception was $8,000 of that amount.

I think the correlation between wedding cost and marital problems is apples and oranges, frankly...

They still married?

Yes, they are still happily married .... it's been a couple of months. And this is a couple who are living a truly Christian life & marriage, plus they are best friends. They shine with our Lord's love in them.

With a teen daughter, the subject of weddings has been discussed more than once. Viola has some fairly strong ideas on what she wants for her wedding and I think it should wind up pretty nice. She wants a green dress... green, not as in environmentally sound, but green as in color. So, that will be a savings because it won't be a "wedding" dress. She also wants it to be on our property, so no expensive venue. The reception will most likely be at our Community Hall. Our good friend acts as DJ for the town dances, so we'll probably ask him if he can DJ for the wedding. She'll have her own beef by then, so that will be a huge savings on the cost of the dinner. I'll talk things over with the ladies of the community as far as getting the rest of the food together. I've been quietly thinking on things like table decorations, etc, and when I've ran my ideas by her, she's been excited for them. She's pretty adamant about no booze with the possible exception of some champagne for a toast...although she'll be drinking sparkling cider herself. We'll have to see what Joe... ahem, the future groom whomever he might be will want as well.... but apparently they've "talked" about weddings in general and she says that he likes all her ideas. (If that kid doesn't want her, he should probably start running now...two years might be enough time for him to escape...maybe...lol...)

But, all in all, I'm thinking a nice outdoor wedding on our property with a beautiful view, prime rib dinner with potatoes, rolls and salad, table decorations that I think I'll rock and most of which will come via the Dollar Store and a DJ led dance... should be nice enough and I really think I'll be able to get it all in under $5000.

I don't have a problem with a couple spending anything they like on a wedding... as long as they aren't being dumb and going into a lot of debt or, heaven forbid!!!! expecting their guests to defray the costs by asking for monetary "gifts" or creating websites with paypal options for guests to donate to help pay for the wedding and/or honeymoon. Keep it to whatever you really can afford. If that's a $30,000 extravaganza OK... if it's a humble trip to the Justice of the Peace with a nice cake in mom's back yard, OK.

I will say though that whenever I get a wedding invitation and there are cutsie poems, or little notes, or any mention of any kind about giving money instead of a gift (and an implication that it needs to at least be the amount of the cost per plate at the reception)... I pass on the whole she-bang.

Our wedding probably didn't top $1000 and certainly didn't crack $2000. I never saw any reason to have big, expensive weddings, and thankfully, neither did my wife. We still had a very nice wedding. Of course, if people want to spend a lot of money on their wedding, and can afford to do it, then I have no problem with that. :)

Can people today have simple weddings? Yes.

I'm in Hawaii right now for my daughter's wedding Sunday. Pig roast, typical Hawaiian food, hundred or so friends, and simple ceremony on the beach. Not at all elaborate.

I was just thinking lately how people willing spend money on their wedding days. Few days before the wedding day and some days after are all days of spend-and-spend-and-spend-on-whatever.

I remember the wedding at Cannan. Seems it was one of those expensive wedding ceremonies. Extravagance has been existing!

Could decent weddings still exist (one that is not done lavishly)? Seems the only aim is to entertain people.

I totally agree! If I were to ever marry, I'd prefer an intimate ceremony with very few people involved! If I could have it my way it'd just be me, my future husband, our closest FEW (3-4), & the words I do! No big ceremony, no extravagant dresses, flowers, and nasty cakes....just a humble gathering of a few people, to solidify my union. I'd rather save all that $$ for our life together. Today's weddings seem to be all about show....and once the party's over, the marriage itself seems to follow suit!

I'm in Hawaii right now for my daughter's wedding Sunday. Pig roast, typical Hawaiian food, hundred or so friends, and simple ceremony on the beach. Not at all elaborate.

Congratulations, [MENTION=68276]mark[/MENTION] , for the expansion of your family! Prayers are offered for your daughter & (as of tomorrow, Sunday) son-in-law's long-lasting & happy marriage.

Congratulations, [MENTION=68276]mark[/MENTION] , for the expansion of your family! Prayers are offered for your daughter & (as of tomorrow, Sunday) son-in-law's long-lasting & happy marriage.
[MENTION=68276]mark[/MENTION]: Yes, congrats! and God's blessing on the happy couple!

Hawaii will sure make it memorable. (Though I guess Maine is a great place, too...)

Even as a young child I knew that weddings can be very extravagant.

I mistook the words to the famous wedding march as

"Here comes the bride
All dressed and wide...." :toofunny

Well, she had to have that big, wide dress, ya know! :lol

Back