Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What are you reading?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I've been sick the past few days, and the only book in the house that I haven't read is about "I Love Lucy." Let's just say that it motivated me to get out of bed.

Currently reading:

Luke T. Johnson, The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus and the Truth of the Traditional Gospels

John D. Crossan, Jonathan L. Reed, Excavating Jesus: Beneath the Stones, Behind the Texts

Burton L. Mack, Who Wrote the New Testament? The Making of Christian Myth

Michael Martin, Ricki Monnier (eds.) The Improbability of God

Just purchased:

Sarah Iles Johnston (editor) Ancient Religions, 2007

Fritz Stern (editor) The Varieties of History: From Voltaire to the Present, 1972

Kris D. Komarnitsky, Doubting Jesus' Resurrection: What Happened In The Black Box?, 2009

Philippians - A study guide by Matt Chandler
Diets don't work - Dr. Bob Schwartz
And the bible of course. Currently Philippians and Romans.

prough91 said:
"The Case for the Real Jesus" by Lee Strobel and my new NASB Thompson Chain Reference Bible. Love it.

Thompson Chain Reference Bible. Wow. That was my first bible when I became a Christian 16 years ago. But I have the NIV version.

-HUMBLED- said:
prough91 said:
"The Case for the Real Jesus" by Lee Strobel and my new NASB Thompson Chain Reference Bible. Love it.

Thompson Chain Reference Bible. Wow. That was my first bible when I became a Christian 16 years ago. But I have the NIV version.
I've got all the versions Thompson makes for it. I really like it. The new ESV study Bible is really good too.

Yes I agree with you there. My wife bought me an ESV Study Bible and it is indeed great. The notes and the translation.

-HUMBLED- said:
Yes I agree with you there. My wife bought me an ESV Study Bible and it is indeed great. The notes and the translation.
It is top-notch that's for sure, the only thing I have against it is that it's a little unwieldy.

prough91 said:
-HUMBLED- said:
It is top-notch that's for sure, the only thing I have against it is that it's a little unwieldy.

Unwieldy? What do you mean? Now I have to go to Dictionarydotcom. :grumpy

-HUMBLED- said:
prough91 said:
[quote="-HUMBLED-":g1zpaoiz]Yes I agree with you there. My wife bought me an ESV Study Bible and it is indeed great. The notes and the translation.

Unwieldy? What do you mean? Now I have to go to Dictionarydotcom. :grumpy[/quote:g1zpaoiz]

It's too thick for my taste. Kinda cumbersome.
unwieldy-–adjective, -wield?i?er, -wield?i?est.
not wieldy; wielded with difficulty; not readily handled or managed in use or action, as from size, shape, or weight; awkward; ungainly.

There! I saved you the trip!

prough91 said:
-HUMBLED- said:
Yeah this is definitely one that does NOT come out of the house with me. Not exactly a carry along. :biggrin
Is yours' hard or soft back?

Well since I got such a good online deal on the hard cover, that's what I went with. Knowing that it pretty much would be a stay at home bible.

-HUMBLED- said:
prough91 said:
[quote="-HUMBLED-":232rep0s]Yeah this is definitely one that does NOT come out of the house with me. Not exactly a carry along. :biggrin
Is yours' hard or soft back?

Well since I got such a good online deal on the hard cover, that's what I went with. Knowing that it pretty much would be a stay at home bible.[/quote:232rep0s]
That's what I got. I didn't know if the leather would be any better.

Currently reading Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee.
A lesser demon contacts a writing agent to have his memoirs recorded & published. An interesting look at things from a demons standpoint, going back to before the Rebellion, & moving forward from there. Similar in concept to The Screwtape Letters. Great book so far & will be looking for more books by this author, for sure.

The Final Days of General Patton.

As soon as Germany surrendered, he wanted to attack the Russians. With their supplies low, and few aircraft and artillery, Patton said that he could beat them in five days.

The Consequence of Ideas by R.C. Sproul

An excellent book for understanding how the philosophies of man ~ godly men and otherwise ~ have affected our world.

I started it during last school semester but had no time to finish it till now. I bought the workbook that goes with it and hope to delve into the questions and take notes on what I am gleaning to develop my ability to point out the doctrines that have emerged from these ideas in todays world cultures.

sheshisown~

Back