Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What did Christ say about the Law?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

reddogs

Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

Matthew 5:17-19
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked.

Mark 12:28-31
28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The Ten Commandments are arranged in two groups, the first group of four commandments deal with our relationship to God, the second group of the fifth to the tenth commandments deal with our relationship to one another. When Jesus talks about 'not that I am come to destroy the law', it is obvious that it is the Ten Commandments Jesus is talking about. So did Jesus want to do away with the Ten Commandments or did He came to fulfill that which pointed to Him as the Lamb of God, the ceremonial law of Moses. We have to understand His purpose...

Law can be spoken in multiple perspectives.

The big picture is, God would like to build an eternity we call Heaven for humans and angels to live with a sin-incompatible God happily forever. Law is thus set up to decide who can enter this eternity. Law is like a promise from God saying that, "though I am sin-incompatible, if you can pass the Final Judgment of Law I will bear with you in eternity no matter what". The end result would be, 2/3 angels will pass the Final Judgment of Law. However under the influence from the 1/3 fallen angels (angelic beings are made to be much more intelligent and capable than humans, such as the crafty snake in Eden), no human can possibly pass the Final Judgment of Law (which is applicable to both angels and humans), just as it's said that no one is righteous not even one. Law enforces that Earth must be destroyed after extended period of time (from Adam to Noah) of valid witnessing as a result of "no possible harvest can be from the field". God either destroys Earth as a whole, or an alternative must be provided to save human kind.

Needless to say this alternative is Jesus Christ. Law permits that the self-sacrifice of God allows humans to be saved alternative by a series of covenants, with the first one called the Covenant of Rainbow granted to Noah and the last one referred to as the New Covenant brought us by Jesus. That's why Jesus came here to make a sacrifice to fulfill the Law as Law demands His sacrfice for humans to 'dodge' the Final Judgment of Law. We are instead judged by Jesus Christ/God using a standard defined by a covenant we subject to. It's a Final Judgment of Covenant instead of Law.

From the perspective of Judgment, Law is deemed obsolete in the sense that we 'dodged' its Judgment. It's no longer valid for our Judgment once we choose to subject ourselves to the New Covenant. From the perspective of legality of Law remains valid all the times, that's why anyone failed to turn to Christ will at the end subject to the Final Judgment of Law. To put it another way, the Judgment of Covenant is provided by Jesus Christ. If one is rejected by Christ, he's returned back to the Judgment of Law which will sentence him to death as predicted.

To all those who think that all the laws have been fulfilled in Christ you are very wrong as below are the laws that are written upon our heart and can only be fulfilled when Christ returns and makes an end to sin by throwing it into the lake of fire with that of the beast and the false prophets. The only laws that Christ has fulfilled so far are that of the Temple and its sacrifices. Someone please show me in scripture where Jesus has fulfilled all the laws, because in Matthew 22:35-40 and Matthew 5:17, 18 Jesus does not say that he has already fulfilled all of them, but that love was the greatest of them all.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.

We need to present ourselves a vessel of honor that God delights in as we allow the light of Christ shine in us and through us. This is a testimony of Gods grace and mercy as it is not ourselves that do any good thing, but Gods Spirit working in us and through us as we surrender our will to that of Gods will to be done.

Morality in God is His greatest commandment of love as we treat others as we want others to treat us. God is love and wants us to love and treat others as He loves and treats us.

Matthew 22:
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him, 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like it: 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

Jesus fulfilled that law in Himself as the second Adam. Then He became the perfect sacrifice to atone for our sins. When we come to Him, His righteousness/obedience becomes ours.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him, 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like it: 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

Jesus fulfilled that law in Himself as the second Adam. Then He became the perfect sacrifice to atone for our sins. When we come to Him, His righteousness/obedience becomes ours.
A few comments Whatever:
1. Please don't use red for writing purposes.
It looks like a post from a moderator's warning.

2. You should also check your last 2 sentences above, they're not readable.

3. What does Matthew 22:40 mean to you?

I was wondering about how this stuff looks to others. On my screen it is dark with white letters. I was using red for Scripture passages because that was used for Jesus' words. Just trying to make Scripture passages stand out from my words.

What do you mean by my "last 2 sentences were not readable." I went back and read them just fine. Is it bad grammar or just didn't make sense to you.

Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."Means to me just what it says. If you want to fulfill the Bible's moral commands, love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself.

Rom 13:8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For the commandments, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," "YOU SHALL NOT MURDER," "YOU SHALL NOT STEAL," "YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS," "YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

I was wondering about how this stuff looks to others. On my screen it is dark with white letters. I was using red for Scripture passages because that was used for Jesus' words. Just trying to make Scripture passages stand out from my words.
At the bottom of the page on the left hand corner you will see CF-Light. Click on that and it will revert back to the white screen and black letters. For me it is very hard to read white or any color on the black background.

Last edited:
Law can be spoken in multiple perspectives.

The big picture is, God would like to build an eternity we call Heaven for humans and angels to live with a sin-incompatible God happily forever. Law is thus set up to decide who can enter this eternity. Law is like a promise from God saying that, "though I am sin-incompatible, if you can pass the Final Judgment of Law I will bear with you in eternity no matter what". The end result would be, 2/3 angels will pass the Final Judgment of Law. However under the influence from the 1/3 fallen angels (angelic beings are made to be much more intelligent and capable than humans, such as the crafty snake in Eden), no human can possibly pass the Final Judgment of Law (which is applicable to both angels and humans), just as it's said that no one is righteous not even one. Law enforces that Earth must be destroyed after extended period of time (from Adam to Noah) of valid witnessing as a result of "no possible harvest can be from the field". God either destroys Earth as a whole, or an alternative must be provided to save human kind.

Needless to say this alternative is Jesus Christ. Law permits that the self-sacrifice of God allows humans to be saved alternative by a series of covenants, with the first one called the Covenant of Rainbow granted to Noah and the last one referred to as the New Covenant brought us by Jesus. That's why Jesus came here to make a sacrifice to fulfill the Law as Law demands His sacrfice for humans to 'dodge' the Final Judgment of Law. We are instead judged by Jesus Christ/God using a standard defined by a covenant we subject to. It's a Final Judgment of Covenant instead of Law.

From the perspective of Judgment, Law is deemed obsolete in the sense that we 'dodged' its Judgment. It's no longer valid for our Judgment once we choose to subject ourselves to the New Covenant. From the perspective of legality of Law remains valid all the times, that's why anyone failed to turn to Christ will at the end subject to the Final Judgment of Law. To put it another way, the Judgment of Covenant is provided by Jesus Christ. If one is rejected by Christ, he's returned back to the Judgment of Law which will sentence him to death as predicted.
We are talking about the one written with the finger of God, which is the one that cannot be changed....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back