Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study What do you believe the tree of knowledge is?

W

Wertbag

A question that was raised elsewhere was what is the tree of knowledge in Genesis? Some people who believe the story is allegory, say the tree represents study, learning or a specific type of knowledge (sexual or some such). Literalist seem to say it was a physical tree that could grant knowledge by eating the fruit.
There may well be other ideas on the meaning... what is your view on this idea?

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, apparently is just that, produces a fruit that, when eaten, grants an epiphany of good and evil.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the tree itself, or if it has to with the fact that the tree was "off-limits" that grants the realization. I tend to think it was an otherwise normal tree-God used it for His purposes.

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is a "type" of Law. The Tree of Life is the Spirit. One is like Law the other Spirit. Man, as is typical, sought to justify himself by Law, and therein was born the twofold conflict all thru the ages, Satan's Kingdom, the flesh and the devil v.s. God's Kingdom, the spirit and eternal life.

Now, that being said, just because I said they were a "type" does not mean I do not believe in literal trees as well, as many of the prophecies have a physical and spiritual counterpart.

Agree with Tim, but would be even more direct to define it:

The tree of knowledge is everything we know and communicate
including religion and the knowledge ABOUT life.

But it is never life itself. It's in stark contrast to the tree of life.
All religions, philosopies and I happily include all universities
of the globe here belong to the tree of knowledge.

The tree of knowledge's current 'evolution' is to simulate life
through progress in science, refinement in culture and
spirtitual deception in religions.

Attempt is to 'reproduce', imitate and finally counterfeit God's
tree of life.

Basically, in our days the tree of knowledge is Satan's playgound
and dominion. He wants the flesh transformed to become 'spiritual'.
God is and never was impressed.

Only the most resitent believer however will be able to resist that,
as many of us draw from the tree of knowledge and are not aware
that there is no, and never will be, life outside of the tree of life.

You brought out some fine detailed points, Geo. I like the words you used such as "imitate" and "counterfeit".

Can we safely say to wrap up the concept as "God's way" v.s. "man's way"?

And sin is basically "we want to do things our way".

Yes Tim,

that's how we can wrap it, God's way vs human way

with an emphasis on "True Life vs Description of Life"
sin is basically everything that doesn't lead to life

it's worth mentioning that 'our ways' end with our death,
and inasmuch they are not aligned with His ways at that
time that's the degree of error that will speak against us.
Not only on an intellectual level, but in practical life reality.

The summary of that point is:

1 Corinthians 15:53  For this corruptible must put on incorruption,
and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible
shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on
immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written,
Death is swallowed up in victory.

(Tree of knowledge leads to death, tree of life leads to Life eternal)

Wertbag said:
A question that was raised elsewhere was what is the tree of knowledge in Genesis? Some people who believe the story is allegory, say the tree represents study, learning or a specific type of knowledge (sexual or some such). Literalist seem to say it was a physical tree that could grant knowledge by eating the fruit.
There may well be other ideas on the meaning... what is your view on this idea?

--------
Wertbag

The title of "the tree of knowledge of good and evil" is another one of Satan's names. It is his title, because of that which he committed in the 1st heaven age. Ezek 28:12- 19. Satan is " sin", and was the first to commit such an "evil". It is not that he did not know the "good" from the "evil", for he had been originally created in the "full sum", in the pattern after YHVH, HIMSELF.

Mark 8:22-25
22 And he cometh to Bethsaida; and they bring a blind man unto him, and
besought him to touch him.
23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.
24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
25 After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly. (KJV)

"And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking."
"After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up:and he was restored, and saw every man clearly."

The words "as trees" is an analogy, in that our arms and legs are called limbs, and there is the trunk of the body. Satan showed himself to Eve. She saw his limbs and trunk, and understood
he was a man.

Gen 3:1-7
1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the
LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye
shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be
opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was
pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were
naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
(KJV)

The "serpent" is also one of Satan's names. It is a name which conveys Satan's role as the 'the tempter'.

Therefore, we could understand this verse as such: 'Now the tempter, Satan, was more subtil than any living creature which resided in the
garden which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea,
hath God said, Ye shall not partake of (learn from, by taking in what they
teach) every tree/man of the garden?'

As we can see, this entity called "the serpent", is simply Satan.
The analogy of a "serpent" describes his subtleness of 'the tempter'.
But he was tree of knowledge of good and evil. Satan has many names.
-----

The Tree of Life is Christ.

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

tim_from_pa said:
The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is a "type" of Law. The Tree of Life is the Spirit. One is like Law the other Spirit. Man, as is typical, sought to justify himself by Law, and therein was born the twofold conflict all thru the ages, Satan's Kingdom, the flesh and the devil v.s. God's Kingdom, the spirit and eternal life.

I'm sorry, this is merely my humble opinion, but I sincerely think this is silly. I actually read on of the little links above and it lead me to something like this.

This would only make the slightest amount of sense (and then, not even that) if Torah was given by man.

I, personally, will just say I don't know. I have ideas, though.

irishrain said:
The title of "the tree of knowledge of good and evil" is another one of Satan's names.........

The Tree of Life is Christ.

Absolutely.

One day the tree of knowledge will burn and become dust in the wind, dust that will be unabe to get through the divine filter that seperates eternity past from eternity future.

In love,
cj

The Tree Of Knowledge Has Physical And Spiritual Parts

Hi Wertbag:

Please allow me to add my two cents to this topic.

Wertbag >> A question that was raised elsewhere was what is the tree of knowledge in Genesis?

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of the bad seed of Satan being mixed with the seed of the woman. This is how Adam had relations with Eve and begat Cain in the first place. Able and Seth were from the righteous branch, but Cain and all those like him are the children of the devil. Adam and Eve took that seed into themselves by eating and that means all of those descended from them can bring forth either. Judas is an example of how a Jew chosen from Israel can be the ‘son of perdition’ (John 17:12) at the very same time.

The tree of knowledge has a ‘physical’ manifestation of the ‘seed’ and a 'spiritual' manifestation of discernment and judgment sown into the mind itself. In other words, the very nature of this evil seed is a prerequisite for our participation in the judgment of the world and the angels (1 Corinthians 6:2-3). Therefore, Satan actually helped God create the replacement parts for the evil rulers of this age (Ephesians 6:12) now ‘passing away’ (1 Corinthians 2:6). When you boil all the facts down, then God has soundly beaten Satan at his own game. Note all of the bad seed going into the lake of fire even after the New Heavens and New Earth are a reality (Revelation 21:8), which tells you that the bad seed will continue to be born for the ‘ages to come.’ While Satan and his cronies are indeed in the lake of fire (Revelation 19:20, Revelation 20:10), God will be dealing with his children to the end of time itself and right up to the time that He becomes “all in all†(1 Corinthians 15:28).

The ‘tree of life’ is a reference to the Holy Spirit guarded by the cherubim (Genesis 3:24), just like He hovers in the Temple between the wings of the cherub over the mercy seat of the Ark.

“Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever." Genesis 3:22.

The Lord God had to block the way to the tree of life, lest Adam eat of that Fruit and live forever in his fallen condition. Adam could never become the perfect sacrifice for sin, because the evil seed was already ‘in’ him, which meant our Lord Jesus Christ would have to come and do that for us at Calvary. The 'tree of life' is now 'in' us (1 Corinthians 3:16, 1 Corinthians 6:19) through obedience to the Gospel.

In Christ,

Terral

Judas is an example of how a Jew chosen from Israel can be the ‘son of perdition’ (John 17:12) at the very same time.

Judas repented
Mat 27:3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Jhn 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

There only one son thats been lost, Satan Eze 28:18 he will turn to ashes.
The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of the bad seed of Satan being mixed with the seed of the woman. This is how Adam had relations with Eve and begat Cain in the first place.

Satan had relations with Eve, thats where Cain came from. Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee(Satan) and the woman(Eve), and between thy seed (Satan's seed Cain)and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Christ heels were nailed the cross.

Mat 13:37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

Revelation 21:8), which tells you that the bad seed will continue to be born for the ‘ages to come.’

No it doesn't say that. Only in this Flesh age do we have children. For we are as the Angels in the next age. SEXLESS, for there is not more need to have children.

Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

While Satan and his cronies are indeed in the lake of fire (Revelation 19:20

No only his one world Beast system Rev 13 , and satan's role as false prophet are in the lake of fire then.

Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Satan doesn't go into the lake till Rev 20:10.

Judas is an example of how a Jew chosen from Israel can be the ‘son of perdition’ (John 17:12) at the very same time.

Judas repented
Mat 27:3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Jhn 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is representative of the bad seed of Satan being mixed with the seed of the woman. This is how Adam had relations with Eve and begat Cain in the first place.

Satan had relations with Eve, thats where Cain came from. Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee(Satan) and the woman(Eve), and between thy seed (Satan's seed Cain)and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Mat 13:37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

Revelation 21:8), which tells you that the bad seed will continue to be born for the ‘ages to come.’

No it doesn't say that. Only in this Flesh age do we have children. For we are as the Angels in the next age. SEXLESS, for there is not more need to have children.

Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

No only his one world Beast system Rev 13 , and satan's role as false prophet are in the lake of fire then.

Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Judas repented

Judas repented

Judas repented

Back