Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What do you offer your visitors

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

What do you usually offer your visitors when they visit. It is very good to entertain your guests. Make your visitors feel at home.

Some offer some particular drinks and some offer food. Some don't bother to offer anything.

Bad habit is, to ask your visitor would s/he want to take something. If you ask me I may get a little shy and tell you: NO - I need neither drinks nor food.

Do not tell me some visitors avoid or select what they eat. Make that sacrifice and let that visitor say, NOPE - take it back - I don't wanna take anything. You will be satisfied you attempted entertaining your visitor. (Some who ask: WHAT DO I OFFER YOU are probably the people who really don't want to offer a thing. They are the stingy ones. ;) They are seeking a means to avoid spending.

Assuming someone visits you now: what would you offer him/her?

Are you talking about unexpected visitors? If I have people dropping in unexpectedly, usually I have nothing to offer except fruit juice. I stock plenty of fruit juice in my fridge. But if they gave me advance notice of their arrival, I would prepare a sumptuous meal for them and bake a cake. I love baking cakes! Or if they're my regular friends from church, I will buy their favorite barbequed chicken. But usually my friends come in with their own food like pizza or cake or other snakes ..... I mean snacks.

Most often i offer what ever we have.

Bob is here just about every morning for coffee, cookies, cake , muffins, what ever we have.... While speaking of Bob ... A very nice guy he is taking care of his wife who has Alzheimers he has to do all the household chores etc.. His heart is breaking please remember them, Bob & Sharon to the Lord...

Some folks I know are here looking for a certain food. If i know they are coming i will have it for them.. the drink of choice here is :pepsi

Wow! Then everyone feels at home at your house.
--
And yes, both expected and unexpected visitors, including strangers.

I think it was something common with the people and women of the Old Testament. They kept open doors to visitors - and strangers.......they always had something to offer:

Genesis 18 NKJV
Then the Lord appeared to him by the terebinth trees of Mamre, as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day. 2 So he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing by him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the ground, 3 and said, “My Lord, if I have now found favor in Your sight, do not pass on by Your servant. 4 Please let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree. 5 And I will bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh your hearts. After that you may pass by, inasmuch as you have come to your servant.â€

They said, “Do as you have said.â€

6 So Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah andsaid, “Quickly, make ready three measures of fine meal; knead it and make cakes.†7 And Abraham ran to the herd, took a tender and good calf, gave it to a young man, and he hastened to prepare it. 8 So he took butter and milk and the calf which he had prepared, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree as they ate.

9 Then they said to him, “Where is Sarah your wife?â€

So he said, “Here, in the tent.â€

10 And He said, “I will certainly return to you according to the time of life, and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son.â€

Another account is Christ feeding the crowd, Leviticus 19:33-34, Sarah and Rebecca showing hospitality to stranges etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you, reba. It is good to offer what we have, unless we want to go beyond what the kitchen or refridgerator has.

---
And a good visitor should accept anything offered (unless such a visitor has a medical condition, i.e some avoid certain foods or drinks.). So, no matter how poor the food offered is, no matter how poor the family or individual is we should try to polish off whatever food served. This, honestly, gives that family the joy that the visitor is happy and comfortable.

Eat that food - you won't die. (Though it's not easy to eat a poor food. Missionaries eat anything offered. And if you really want to capture the heart of people, eat the poison cooked [bad or poor food]...God protects you from botulism.)

being hospitable is kinda like our culture, so if you go to our community it would be rude to ask a visitor what he/she wants to have...
<O:tongue</O:tongue
i am taught by my parents about it , so its fixed in the house that if we have a visitor early in the morning ( no matter who that person is ) to offer cofee or hot choco or any hot drinks and some sweets or even breakfast . In the afternoon, my mom or me would cook something so we will be busy in the kitchen and my father would do the talking to that person. In then in the evening , dinner of course. We don't let the visitor walk away without tasting our " buko pie" specialty

We have a house where hot drinks, tea and coffee are always being made and out of habit when anyone visits the kettle goes on and drinks are made and a few snacks usually biscuits or scones or similar are put out on a plate to share. Thats the culture in Yorkshire UK but I imagine it depends where you live. It is inclusive for anyone who is visiting for longer than a few minutes and includes anyone doing work on the house or car/bikes. It's not special as everyone does it.

My little bugbear is TV, I switch it off if visitors come here but some feel the need to have TV programmes playing in the background which i find off putting to conversations

I don't like unexpected visitors and thankfully rarely get them. When I have visitors over though, I just ask them if they'd like something to drink. I tell them what we have and then ask what they would like out of those choices.

My husbands good friend just moved back to the states. He met his wife in England while doing missionary work and studies. She's philippino and they ended up moving to the Philippines to continue their work and open a church. We didn't see him for many years. They moved back home here a couple of years ago and when they were over here for a visit and I asked if they would like anything to drink. They said yes please so I told them what we had. The guy said "Do you have any coffee?". Oops. I had never made coffee in my life and we didn't own a coffee maker. He was craving coffee so bad because he said "You don't even have instant coffee?". LOL Nope. No instant coffee. I said "I've got sweet tea! lol

So I went out and bought some instant coffee and he hasn't been over here since! I have taken a liking to coffee though so I bought a small 4 cup coffee maker.

I don't like unexpected visitors and thankfully rarely get them. When I have visitors over though, I just ask them if they'd like something to drink. I tell them what we have and then ask what they would like out of those choices.

My husbands good friend just moved back to the states. He met his wife in England while doing missionary work and studies. She's philippino and they ended up moving to the Philippines to continue their work and open a church. We didn't see him for many years. They moved back home here a couple of years ago and when they were over here for a visit and I asked if they would like anything to drink. They said yes please so I told them what we had. The guy said "Do you have any coffee?". Oops. I had never made coffee in my life and we didn't own a coffee maker. He was craving coffee so bad because he said "You don't even have instant coffee?". LOL Nope. No instant coffee. I said "I've got sweet tea! lol

So I went out and bought some instant coffee and he hasn't been over here since! I have taken a liking to coffee though so I bought a small 4 cup coffee maker.

Incredible:toofunny
Coffee, I think, is one of the commonest, kinda. At least that one you've bought isn't a waste.:lol

:lolthat is indeed very funny if that happened here Nikki coz i'm a filipino ( mixed spanish , japanese and filipino blood)..

Haha! Yeah, I felt really bad. I guess with my husband and I not being coffee drinkers, I just never gave it any thought.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back