Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study What does God judge us by?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
D

DezeraysHammer

I'm taking a witnessing course entitled "The Way of The Master" (Kirk Cameron, Ray Comfort). The purpose of the course is to show you the way in which Christ witnessed to the lost. The W.O.M. method is basically to take the 10 commandments and show them to people so that they see they are sinners who need to be saved. Cameron and Comfort take the 10 commandments and basically label people upon their breaking of the commandments (i.e. liar, blasphemer, adulterer, etc.) so that they look at themselves and see their true condition. In the DVD we watched a couple weeks ago Comfort said to the person he was witnessing to, "If God were to judge you by the 10 commandments, how would you do?" In the DVD we watched this past Sunday he said that the Bible says that God judges us by the 10 commandments (however he did not provide a verse).

My question is ... what is the standard by which God judges us? Cameron and Comfort are saying it is the 10 commandments. Is this right?

Any help would be appreciated. By the way, anyone else taking this course?

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged, for the measure you use against others will be the measure used against you.""

AHIMSA said:
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged, for the measure you use against others will be the measure used against you.""
DezeraysHammer's question was by which measure does God judge us; "My question is ... what is the standard by which God judges us?".
You really ought to read the whole Bible. The skeptic's information will warp your entire being.

I can tell by your fruits what side of the fence you sit on, and that is not judgment. Judgment would be if I had the authority to say, "Take Ahimsa, and put him in the eternal pit of hell". I have not that authority to judge, but I do have the responsibility to discern lies and deception from truth, and to discern whether one operates within the truth or with false doctrines. Judgement is left to God. God will judge each person by the Word.

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
John 12:48

Of course main stream Christianity believes that people upon their death will be tossed into hell and then be judged at the consummation of eternity.

Gendou Ikari said:
Of course main stream Christianity believes that people upon their death will be tossed into hell and then be judged at the consummation of eternity.

Many call themselves Christians and in the end they will be judged for their beliefs and actions. True Christians get their beliefs from the scriptures which is the word of God. Here is a little bit of truth pertaining to the differences between the righteous and unrighteous, and their end.

1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: 8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;) 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. 11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord. 12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; 13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you; 14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children: 15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; 16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet. 17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. 18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. 20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. 2 Peter 2:1-22

Gendou Ikari said:
Wrong, this is not what mainstream believes. Judgement comes before punishment. 8-)

DezeraysHammer said:
My question is ... what is the standard by which God judges us? Cameron and Comfort are saying it is the 10 commandments. Is this right?
Yes, as the following Bible verse explain...... Eccle. 12:13 "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil".

AND.......
James 2:10 "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.
2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty".

[/quote]
But, I want to add that there is more than just the 10 commandments as found in Exodus 20:3-17, to be considered !

Remember that those who are violating the dietary laws found throughtout the Bible, will be destroyed at Christ's 2nd coming, (Isaiah 66:15-17).

Vic said:
Gendou Ikari said:
Wrong, this is not what mainstream believes. Judgement comes before punishment. 8-)

Vic is quite correct. Everyone will be judged before the Great White Throne. Believers will have Jesus as their Advocate, and thus will already have their punishment 'paid for'. Non-Believers will be Judged for thier sins.

Believers will also have their works judged...1 Corinthians 3:12-15

PHIL121 said:
Vic said:
Gendou Ikari said:

Vic is quite correct. Everyone will be judged before the Great White Throne. Believers will have Jesus as their Advocate, and thus will already have their punishment 'paid for'. Non-Believers will be Judged for thier sins.

And some believers will find their names ...taken out...of the book of life, (Revelation 3:5 & 22:19).

Jay T said:
PHIL121 said:
Vic said:
[quote="Gendou Ikari":biggrind0cd]Of course main stream Christianity believes that people upon their death will be tossed into hell and then be judged at the consummation of eternity.

And some believers will find their names ...taken out...of the book of life, (Revelation 3:5 & 22:19).[/quote:biggrind0cd]
It does not say that believers will have their names ...taken out... of the book of life.

It says that God will not blot the names of those that have overcome out of the book of Life. The only way to overcome is by being born of the Spirit by believing the Word that Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected.

5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. Revelation 3:5

It also says in Revelation 22 the following:

16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. 17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. 18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. 21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.Revelation 22:16-21

The Spirit and the bride say, Come and let him that is athirst come. And whoever will let him take the water of life freely. Jesus is testifying unto "every man that hears the words of the prophesy of this book, that if any man shall add unto these things the plagues that God will pour out during the wrath of God will be poured out on them, and if any man should take away anything from this book God will take away his part out of the book of life.

Does it not read that the Spirit and the bride are calling all mankind to salvation, and with that a warning is issued that if any of these that are being summoned to salvation, add or remove anything from this book that God will add the plagues of wrath, or remove the part that was reserved in the book of life for such a one had they been saved.

Only those that have overcome by being born again have a part in the book of life, and they will not add or take anything away from the book.

1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born 7 of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:2-5

Is the mortal corrupt flesh that we live in born of God? Or is the New Creature, the New Man born of God at the rebirth, born again experience?
I believe that the New Creature born of God when one believes in Jesus Christ does not sin, but the flesh of the Old Man is bound to sin. Therefore if one walks after the Spirit he will exhibit the fruits of the Spirit, but if one walks after the flesh he will exhibit the fruits of the flesh. What part of the believer will be cast out of God's kingdom; the flesh that is changed in a twinkling which the mortal puts on immortality, and the corrupt puts on incorruption, or the New Man, the Spirit that goes to the Father as Stephen's spirit did? Neither, a believer is sealed until the day of redemption by the Holy Spirit regardless if the Old Man in the flesh sins. You see, all sins have been paid for. All sins were paid for at the Cross for all that have heard the Word of God and believed.

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. 20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. 1 John 5:18-20

So the standard by which God judges us IS the 10 commandments? Would everyone agree to that?

there are i supose several things that a man might be judged by, but i think this pretty much sums it up:

Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

well since i posted that i now feel compelled to add some more to it:

Jam 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
Jam 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Jam 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Jam 3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Jam 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jam 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity; so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jam 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
Jam 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jam 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jam 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Jam 3:11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
Jam 3:12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
Jam 3:13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
Jam 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
Jam 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
Jam 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
Jam 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
Jam 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

i was just gonna post part of that, but after i got to reading it, i felt that the whole chapter seemed to fit the bill pretty good, it seems to me that, of all the things that we must overcome, our own tongue is going to be the most difficult to conquer.

DezeraysHammer said:
So the standard by which God judges us IS the 10 commandments? Would everyone agree to that?

God judges Gentiles according to the Ten Commandments, yes. If you believe in Jesus, he has already paid the price for your sins (what is that doctrine called?...substitutionary something or other :oops: )

Jews have a separate Covenant. No telling how God will judge them.

DezeraysHammer said:
No.
God judges us by the Word. Jesus Christ is the Word. The ten commandments are a mirror to us to show that we are unable to keep the law of God,and that we need a savior. Without being a believer we are condemned.

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
John 12:48

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Revelation 20:12-13[/b]

In regards to how we're judged.

The question for consideration:

Perhaps a better question would be, "What is the standard of God's righteousness?"

The 10 commandments have no ultimate task in judgment, since they functioned only as a temporary measure until the maturity of faith would be revealed in the Messiah, Jesus (Galatians 3:23,24).

Moreover, the 10 commandments had no relevance to any "people group" other than to the Jews, in terms of it's function to bring God's people (Israel) to the maturity of faith (Romans 3:19) having created a record of transgressions (sins) to testify against the nation of its unbelief. Today, we can see wisdom in the 10 commandments, in that they impart behavior that corresponds to what we could consider "righteousness". But true "righteousness", is that of faith, and not of observing the law. To observe special days (including the sabbath, which the 10 commandments requires), is to nullify (to an extent) the freedom that faith offers (Galatians 4:10,11).

Those are some of my thoughts on the question at hand.

Peace and JOY in Him.
David

PHIL121 said:
Eccl. 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.

Every person ever born will be judged, by the commandments of God, both Christian and Non-Christian.

The Christian world will be judged much stricter than Non-Christians, because they have access to a Bible, and have the opportunity to know the will of God.

They will have no excuses, for not obeying every one of the 10 commandments, as found in Exodus 20:3-17.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is, to bring mankind back, in harmony with keeping the Law of God, which was broken by Adam and Eve.
Romans 10:4 "For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth".

Jay T said:
PHIL121 said:
Eccl. 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.

Every person ever born will be judged, by the commandments of God, both Christian and Non-Christian.

The Christian world will be judged much stricter than Non-Christians, because they have access to a Bible, and have the opportunity to know the will of God.

They will have no excuses, for not obeying every one of the 10 commandments, as found in Exodus 20:3-17.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is, to bring mankind back, in harmony with keeping the Law of God, which was broken by Adam and Eve.
Romans 10:4 "For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth".

What a bunch of horse hockey! :roll: I have no idea what kind of Christian cult would preach such blasphemy. Never ceases to amaze me how people can twist the scripture to support their own errant beliefs.

ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. No MAN is righteous NOT ONE! (Romans 3)

Christ is the Gentiles only hope for salvation, NOT the law. In fact legalism is a SIN! THAT is the purpose of the Gospel.

EVERY Christian that EVER coveted ANYTHING has broken the Commandments. The only thing that blots out that sin is the Blood of Jesus.

Christians will be rewarded or denied reward according to their works 1 Corinthians 3:13-15 yet this is a spearate judgement than the one before the Great White Throne, where only FAITH in JESUS can save the sinner.

PHIL121 said:

What a bunch of horse hockey! :roll: I have no idea what kind of Christian cult would preach such blasphemy. Never ceases to amaze me how people can twist the scripture to support their own errant beliefs.
ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. No MAN is righteous NOT ONE! (Romans 3)
So you think that once Jesus forgives you of sin, you must keep right on sinning ?
My Biblre tells me...that God's grace is stronger than sin Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness".

Christ is the Gentiles only hope for salvation, NOT the law. In fact legalism is a SIN!
So, when Jesus Christ said: "IF..you love me, keep my commandments, (John 14:15)Jesus is really teaching legalism ?

Maybe we should discard some Bible verses, from the Bible...such as 1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

In you way of thinking, this is teaching legalism ?

PHIL121 said:

So you think that once Jesus forgives you of sin, you must keep right on sinning ?
My Biblre tells me...that God's grace is stronger than sin Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness".

Christ is the Gentiles only hope for salvation, NOT the law. In fact legalism is a SIN!
So, when Jesus Christ said: "IF..you love me, keep my commandments, (John 14:15)Jesus is really teaching legalism ?

Maybe we should discard some Bible verses, from the Bible...such as 1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

In you way of thinking, this is teaching legalism ?

Back