Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is blasphemy of The Holy Spirit?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What is it? Is it completely turning away from God and not asking for God's Forgiveness anymore? Is it being legalistic?

I am confused. Knowledge appreciated, fellow-Christians.

GuitarIntro said:
What is it? Is it completely turning away from God and not asking for God's Forgiveness anymore? Is it being legalistic?

I am confused. Knowledge appreciated, fellow-Christians.

To blasphemy the Holy Spirit is to deny the holiness of the Word. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, therefore the Word is Holy. Jesus Christ is the Holy Spirit because He is the Holy Word.

Harry

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is found in three places. The Bible is its own best commentary and Mark's accound plainly tell us what it is in Mark 3:30. Hoipe this helps---Duval

That is right -- when you have a term and it is used in only a very few places -- go there and you will find it's meaning. When Christ mentions it -- it is always in the context of attributing to Satan -- the work of the Holy Spirit.

Many believe that the reason this is unpardonable is that the work of the Holy Spirit is the "first cause" in the Gospel reach toward mankind "convicting the World of Sin and Righteousness and Judgment" John 16:8-10.

If one rejects the channel by which God reaches sinful fallen man - then all you have left is sinful man.

in Christ,

Bob

Since the Holy Spirit is the One who convicts us of sin and brings us to repentance, denying the Holy Spirit in our lives leaves us in our sins. Without His conviction, there's no repentance, no confession, no asking for forgiveness. Therefore, we are left to wallow in our sin. This is true blasphemy, and the only unforgiveable sin. If we don't confess, there's no forgiveness.

What you say is true as I understand, but such is not the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. It s a very distinctive sin as Mk.3:30 defines it.---Duval

The way I think about this is like you are filled with the holy spirit and go out and preform some miracle
like healing or what not then say to people it is not the Holy spirit but your own power or something

that would be blasphemy against the spirit

or seeing someone doing that and claiming it's the spirit of the devil doing it

Is this a sin we could possibly commit? Wasn't it meant for those who were seeing the works of Jesus Himself and attributing it to Satan?

The context of the passage says as much.

Mark 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.

Hi Vic:
I have never heard of any today say Jesus had an unclean spirit. Perhaps some have. My understanding is that the sin is POSSIBLE today but not PROBABLE. Best wishes, Duval

Is it basically attributing the works of The Holy Spirit to someone else? Or is it the not asking for God's Forgiveness ever?

How can it be both? For example, if an individual attributed the works to someone else and then asked God for Forgiveness, are they forgiven?

I agree with vic. The scribes were crediting Satan with driving out the demons, not the power of God.
Christ threatened their position, power over the people. They were the teachers of the law having legal authority. They knew well the prophecies, knew scripture. Yet, for their own greed of power they sought to dissuade the people against Christ saying His power came from Satan, the father of lies. They wanted to turn the people against Christ, to use His miracles against Him.

Hi GuitarIntro:
The sin against the Holy Spirit is alluded to 3 times: Matt:1231,32; Mark 3:28-30 and Luke 12:10 In sinning, one may or may not sin against his fellow man, but in all cases he sins against God. Sin may be grouped in 3 ways: 1.pardoned or forgiven sins; 1. pardonable, but yet unpardoned or unforgiven and 3. the unforgiveable sin. The 3rd is the sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
As I said in an earlier post to you the exact meaning of the sin is stated in Mark's account in vs.30. Surely we admit that any sin we commit that has not been forgiven by the time of our death is unforgiven. But that is NOT what Jesus speaks of here. Its saying Jesus has an unclean, unholy spirit by which he cast out demons, performed miracles and taught etrc.
Jesus had cast out a demon, Matt.12:22. No one ever questioned that miracle, all the Jewish leaders were unable to deny he had performed a miracle. What did those Jewish leaders do? They said Jesus had done by the devil. Those Jews already knew miracles were done by the power of God, Acts 10:38, but were so against Jesus that they attributed the miracle to His having an "unclean spirit." Note, they did not slander Jesus. Jesus had said that words spoken against could be forgiven. They slandered the Holy Spirit by calling Him unclean, that was unforgivenable, in this world or the next.The slander was against the Spirit. Their blasphemy against the Spirit, if allowed to go by, if allowed to be accepted, would defeat the miracles and teachings of Jesus and LEAVE HIM WITH CREDENTIALS THAT HE IS INDEED GOD'S SON AND OUR SAVIOUR. please read John 20:30,31. Hope this helps
Duval

They are the only ones on the subject of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I put a note today on your other topic of IJn.5:15-17. You might want to read that too.
God bless you in your reading of the Bible. We all need to and are blessed by it. Rev.1:3 reads: "blessed is the that readeth---" While this was written of the book of Revelation I feel quite sure it applies to any study of God's word. In fact, Paul wrote to Timothy about that same thing.---God bless, Duval

There is something I have been thinking about the past few days. I struggle with masturbation and committed sexual immorality. There was a day when I looked at something and masturbated and had the thought that masturbation was blasphemous. However, I still continued to masturbate. In fact, I completed masturbating. Is this forgivable?

Yes, yes of course it is forgiveable. Please try to read my post of today on the topic of IJn.5. I think its the topic you also started. In Jesus Christ we have a great friend and wonderful saviour. Paul the apostle said he was "chief of sinners" and God forgave him. Keep reading, studying and praying.--I will add you to my prayer list---God bless, Duval

vic C. said:
Is this a sin we could possibly commit? Wasn't it meant for those who were seeing the works of Jesus Himself and attributing it to Satan?

The context of the passage says as much.
This is correct - basically it is saying to Christ to his face, "Your works are of the devil!" Since Christ is not physically in the flesh on earth today this sin is not possible to commit.

God bless

There is much indication in the Word that the Holy Spirit is a LIVING entity. That it is constantly offering it's presence to the World. Some have their hearts hardened for MANY different reasons and are therefore practically immune to it's presence.

God's wish is that ALL be saved. This is NOT to be so but that doesn't change the FACT that we were ALL designed to BE God's children.

Denial of or speaking outright AGAINST The Holy Spirit is the ONE unforgivable sin. For there is NO forgiveness to be offered for that which we deny or openly reject.

So, basically Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a denial or ignoring God and His Word. How can one BE forgiven IF they don't even realize or recognize their SINS? And how would one recognize them without the conviction of The Holy Spirit

Blessings,

MEC

duval said:
Yes, yes of course it is forgiveable. Please try to read my post of today on the topic of IJn.5. I think its the topic you also started. In Jesus Christ we have a great friend and wonderful saviour. Paul the apostle said he was "chief of sinners" and God forgave him. Keep reading, studying and praying.--I will add you to my prayer list---God bless, Duval

What happens if you thought The Holy Spirit is telling you not to masturbate and you still masturbate? Is this forgivable?

Yes, grieving the Holy Spirit and blaspheming the Holy Spirit are not the same. Each time we sin we grieve the Holy Spirit because He inspired the scriptures. Each time we sin and do as God teaches for forgiveness we can be forgiven. Again, to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to say Jesus had an unclean spirit, Mark 3:30.
God bless, Duval

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back