Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is calvinism?

Please explain to me what makes someone a Calvinist. Thanks.
The sovereignty of God in everything is what it basically comes down to. This means that God is in control and does exactly as He pleases with His creation.

This doctrine is hated by many, but brings great comfort to those who believe it.

Calvinism is based on the 5 points of Calvinism or the Doctrines of Grace.

Total Depravity: man is Totally depraved and cannot come to God for salvation.
(Genesis 6:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:10-18).

Unconditional Election: man is elected (chosen) by God for salvation.
(Romans 8:29-30;9:11; Ephesians 1:4-6, 11-12)

Limited Atonement: Christ died to atone for the sins of only His elect people.
(Matthew 1:21; John 10:11; 17:9; Acts 20:28; Romans 8:32; Ephesians 5:25).

Irresistible Grace: Holy Spirit has to intervene in sinful man to bring him to repentance. God draws His elect to Jesus Christ for salvation.
(John 6:37, 44; 10:16).

Perseverance of the Saints: Eternal Security of the believer.
(John 10:27-29; Romans 8:29-30; Ephesians 1:3-14).

I am certain one of the other Calvinist can explain this better than myself.

Calvinism did not spring from Calvin. We believe that it sprang from the great Founder of all truth. (Charles Spurgeon, Sermons, Vol. 7, p. 298).

I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel if we do not preach justification by faith without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing unchangeable eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross. (Charles Spurgeon, The New Park Street Pulpit, Vol. 1, 1856).

Grace and peace to you

John Calvin​

“We call predestination God’s eternal decree, by which He compacted with Himself what He willed to become of each man. For all are not created in equal condition; rather, eternal life is foreordained for some, eternal damnation for others.”

Paul Washer​

“The proof or validation of genuine conversion is that the one who professes faith in Christ perseveres in that faith and grows in sanctification throughout the full course of his life. If a person professes faith in Christ and yet falls away or makes no progress in godliness, it does not mean that he has lost his salvation. It reveals that he was never truly converted..”

John MacArthur​

“Scripture speaks with absolute, unmistakable clarity on these vital issues: (1) Sinners are utterly helpless to redeem themselves or to contribute anything meritorious toward their own salvation (Rom 8:7-8). (2) God is sovereign in the exercise of His saving Will (Eph 1:4-5). (3) Christ died as a substitute who bore the full weight of God’s wrath on behalf of His people, and his atoning work is efficacious for their salvation (Isa. 53:5). (4) God’s saving purpose cannot be thwarted (John 6:37), meaning none of Christ’s true sheep will ever be lost (John 10:27-29). That is because (5) God assures the perseverance of His elect (Jude 24; Phil 1:6; 1 Peter 1:5).”

As I have stated earlier, that many Christians oppose thes doctrines with hatred.

I personally believe because this takes man off the throne and puts God on the throne in His rightful place.

My whole being as a Christians is to being glory to God.

Many call Calvinism a false doctrine.

Calvinism, the 5 points, T.U.L.I.P, or the Doctrines of Grace cannot be a false teaching.

Simply put, every aspect of the teachings give glory to God and His sovereignty. How possibly can that be a false doctrine?

On the other hand, those who oppose Calvinism give humans the glory along with God, that means that God is not sufficient to be Sovereign. man feels the need to help God, but man cannot.

Calvinism and the Sovereignty of God cannot be seperated.

No doctrine in the whole Word of God has more excited the hatred of mankind, than the truth of the absolute sovereignty of God!

— C. H. Spurgeon (1834 – 1892)

Since Calvinism (or Reformed theology, as some prefer to say) covers a spectrum of views, it can be difficult to give a precise and concise definition that satisfies all self-identifying Calvinists/Reformed believers. As electedbyhim has already explained, the doctrines of T.U.L.I.P establish the basic tenets of the Calvinist/Reformed soteriological systematic and are most widely-accepted, to one degree or another, by those who adhere to this systematic.

You would do well, I believe, to check out www.soteriology101.com as you venture into Calvinist thought.

A person who follows the teachings of Calvinism (John Calvin) is a Calvinist.

Likewise a person who follows the teachings of Catholicism is a Catholic.

However, a person who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ, is a Christian.

Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter. 1 Peter 4:16

Then Agrippa said to Paul, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian.” Acts 26:28

Lexicon :: Strong's G5546 - christianos

1. Christian, a follower of Christ

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9

Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter. 1 Peter 4:16

Then Agrippa said to Paul, “You almost persuade me to become a Christian.” Acts 26:28

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
Calvinist/reformers are Christians.

JLB, your response was very vague.

Pleas explain what Riven has asked.

Explain Calvinism.

Since Calvinism (or Reformed theology, as some prefer to say) covers a spectrum of views, it can be difficult to give a precise and concise definition that satisfies all self-identifying Calvinists/Reformed believers. As electedbyhim has already explained, the doctrines of T.U.L.I.P establish the basic tenets of the Calvinist/Reformed soteriological systematic and are most widely-accepted, to one degree or another, by those who adhere to this systematic.

You would do well, I believe, to check out www.soteriology101.com as you venture into Calvinist thought.
Tenchi gives a good description here. That being said, I would caution anyone, that looking at the false teaching of the 101 site should be done, after you understand what the exact teaching is. the reason is the 101 site is trying to undermine truth that is historically known and accepted.

Tenchi gives a good description here. That being said, I would caution anyone, that looking at the false teaching of the 101 site should be done, after you understand what the exact teaching is. the reason is the 101 site is trying to undermine truth that is historically known and accepted.
Thank you.

JLB, your response was very vague.

Pleas explain what Riven has asked.

Explain Calvinism.

Here was his question.

He didn't ask for someone to explain Calvinism.

What is called "Calvinism" is the structural teaching of all 66 books of the bible as Given by Jesus and all the Apostles and Prophets. It is no less than God's revealed Kingdom purposes.
8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
Calvinism looks for Christ and His purposes in all 66 books. It identifies in a step by step way how God accomplishes His Divine purpose.
Men often resist parts of Divine Revelation, and especially when it comes to election, predestination, Foreknowledge, ordination, and decree. All objections are from men trying to make man into God.
God is God alone, he does not need mans help to figure things out. God is absolutely sovereign over all aspects of salvation. Calvin among many others since the time of the apostles have enjoyed these truths.
You will find many of the core teachings here;

If you are a Christian, then why do you call yourself a Calvinist?
Many call themselves a Christian...even cults. people have come up with labels. Some do not like labels, but they are quite useful. Not everyone who calls themself a Christian, is a Christian.

Here was his question.

He didn't ask for someone to explain Calvinism.
Obviously, it is a love and pursuit of God, and His revealed word, that is used by God, as the Spirit of God allows someone to welcome these truths. As truth is God given, there is no where else to go.

Any who follow the teaching of scripture ,eventually are called a Calvinist, even people who lived before Calvin!
Moses was a Calvinist, Isaiah was a Calvinist, king David was a Calvinist.etc

They are, but not all who say they are a Christian, are Christians...it takes new birth to be a Christian.
Those who deny Jesus is God, are not Christians, no matter what they call themselves.

What is called "Calvinism" is the structural teaching of all 66 books of the bible as Given by Jesus and all the Apostles and Prophets. It is no less than God's revealed Kingdom purposes.
8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
Calvinism looks for Christ and His purposes in all 66 books. It identifies in a step by step way how God accomplishes His Divine purpose.
Men often resist parts of Divine Revelation, and especially when it comes to election, predestination, Foreknowledge, ordination, and decree. All objections are from men trying to make man into God.
God is God alone, he does not need mans help to figure things out. God is absolutely sovereign over all aspects of salvation. Calvin among many others since the time of the apostles have enjoyed these truths.
You will find many of the core teachings here;
This is excellent.

Back