Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is calvinism?

Its best we start with these questions.

Define free will? (from a Biblical perspective if you understand that)
The ability to make a choice that has not already been foreseen by a supreme being like God. Because if he does know every choice that we will make in this life, prior to you and I even being conceived, and if we cannot make a choice that contradicts God's perfect knowledge of events for our lives, then free will is an illusion.

And free from what?
I'm not sure I understand the question. If we are free to choose, God must not be aware of the choices we will make. If he is, and he judges us based on what he already knows, then I believe it's deeply immoral. It would mean that souls are predestined to go to either heaven or hell after death before the person even draws their first breath.

Define free will? (from a Biblical perspective if you understand that)

And free from what?
Good question .... though almost everyone talking about free will do it from a non biblical perspective which is simply volunteerarily helping out with offering money I believe.

The ability to make a choice that has not already been foreseen by a supreme being like God.
That would contradict the idea that God is all-knowing and that God is immutable; both of which are explicitly laid out in the Bible.

Because if he does know every choice that we will make in this life, prior to you and I even being conceived, and if we cannot make a choice that contradicts God's perfect knowledge of events for our lives, then free will is an illusion.
You haven't defined "free will" so difficult to comment. I know of several definitions.

Re: Free from what?
I'm not sure I understand the question.
I believe electedbyhim is asking "what/who is the cause of a person" doing X or Y where probably in this cause we are talking about "Belief leading to salvation". Does a man do believe salvificly independent of any influence of God or any external influence ... or salvific belief dependent on family upbring ... or dependent on God alone .... WHAT/WHO is the cause?

If he is, and he judges us based on what he already knows, then I believe it's deeply immoral. It would mean that souls are predestined to go to either heaven or hell after death before the person even draws their first breath.
I don't see why this is immoral. Also, God makes all the rules and by definition anything He does is moral/holy. God told Israel to kill every man, woman and child of a nation in the Old Testament. If a man did this it would be sinful; when God does this it is a holy (just) act. Similarly, God had the devil kill of Job's family and cause Job physical pain and this was a man God loved deeply .. .yet this was not immoral as God did it and thus it fine.

"And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life."—John 5:40​

Our four points, this morning, shall be:

First—that every man is dead, because it says: "Ye will not come to me, that ye might have life."

Secondly—that there is life in Jesus Christ: "Ye will not come to me, that ye might have life."

Thirdly—that there is life in Christ Jesus for every one that comes for it: "Ye will not come to me, that ye might have life;" implying that all who go will have life.

And fourthly—the gist of the text lies here, that no man by nature ever will come to Christ, for the text says, "Ye will not come to me, that ye might have life." So far from asserting that men of their own wills ever do such a thing, it boldly and flatly denies it, and says, "Ye WILL NOT come to me, that ye might have life." Why, beloved, I am almost ready to exclaim, Have all free-willers no knowledge that they dare to run in the teeth of inspiration? Have all those that deny the doctrine of grace no sense? Have they so departed from God that they wrest this to prove free-will; whereas the text says, "Ye WILL NOT come to me that ye might have life."

MYTH OF FREE WILL
by Walter Chantry

MOST PEOPLE say that they believe in "free will." Do you have any idea what that means? I believe that you will find a great deal of superstition on this subject. The will is saluted as the grand power of the human soul which is completely free to direct our lives. But from what is it free? And what is its power?​

THE MYTH OF CIRCUMSTANTIAL FREEDOM

No one denies that man has a will — that is, a faculty of choosing what he wishes to say, do, and think. But have you ever reflected on the pitiful weakness of your will? Though you have the ability to make a decision, you do not have the power to carry out your purpose. Will may devise a course of action, but will has no power to execute its intention.

Joseph’s brothers hated him. They sold him to be a slave. But God used their actions to make him a ruler over themselves. They chose their course of action to harm Joseph. But God in His power directed events for Joseph’s good. He said, "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good" (Gen 50:20).

And how many of your decisions are miserably thwarted? You may choose to be a millionaire, but God’s providence is likely to prevent it. You may decide to be a scholar, but bad health, an unstable home, or lack of finances may frustrate your will. You choose to go on a vacation, but an automobile accident may send you to the hospital instead.

By saying that your will is free, we certainly do not mean that it determines the course of your life. You did not choose the sickness, sorrow, war, and poverty that have spoiled your happiness. You did not choose to have enemies. If man’s will is so potent, why not choose to live on and on? But you must die. The major factors which shape your life cannot thank your will. You did not select your social status, color, intelligence, etc.

Any sober reflection on your experience will produce the conclusion, "A man’s heart deviseth his way: but THE LORD DIRECTETH his steps" (Prov 16:9). Rather than extolling the human will, we ought to humbly praise the Lord whose purposes shape our lives. As Jeremiah confessed, "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" (Jer 10:23).

Yes, you may choose what you want, and you may plan what you will do; but your will is not free to accomplish anything contrary to the purposes of God. Neither have you any power to reach your goals but that which God allows you. The next time you are so enamored with your own will, remember Jesus’ parable about the rich man. The wealthy man said, "This I WILL do: I WILL pull down all my barns, and build greater: and there I WILL bestow all my fruits and my goods. . . But God said unto him. Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee" (Luke 12:18-21). He was free to plan but not free to accomplish; so it is with you.​

That would contradict the idea that God is all-knowing and that God is immutable; both of which are explicitly laid out in the Bible.
I know. I think God knowing before we commit the act has a direct impact on our agency in the world.

You haven't defined "free will" so difficult to comment. I know of several definitions.

Re: Free from what?
Free from... God knowing in advance what choices we will make. Having agency.

I believe electedbyhim is asking "what/who is the cause of a person" doing X or Y where probably in this cause we are talking about "Belief leading to salvation". Does a man do believe salvificly independent of any influence of God or any external influence ... or salvific belief dependent on family upbring ... or dependent on God alone .... WHAT/WHO is the cause?
I honestly can't say one way or another. Does God "choose" which people he's going to reveal himself to? Well, the OT certainly makes that seem like a reasonable conclusion to draw.

I don't see why this is immoral.
God knowing what we will do in the future isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself. The problem is that we're being eternally judged based on decisions that we were going to make no matter what, given that God's perfect knowledge cannot be contradicted by man.

In other words, I can't make a choice that God wasn't aware of before I existed. I guess what I'm saying is, how can I possibly be judged when I have no agency over my own life? For all intents and purposes, we're all actors engaging in a play written and directed by God. Do you disagree?

MYTH OF FREE WILL
by Walter Chantry

MOST PEOPLE say that they believe in "free will." Do you have any idea what that means? I believe that you will find a great deal of superstition on this subject. The will is saluted as the grand power of the human soul which is completely free to direct our lives. But from what is it free? And what is its power?​

THE MYTH OF CIRCUMSTANTIAL FREEDOM

No one denies that man has a will — that is, a faculty of choosing what he wishes to say, do, and think. But have you ever reflected on the pitiful weakness of your will? Though you have the ability to make a decision, you do not have the power to carry out your purpose. Will may devise a course of action, but will has no power to execute its intention.

Joseph’s brothers hated him. They sold him to be a slave. But God used their actions to make him a ruler over themselves. They chose their course of action to harm Joseph. But God in His power directed events for Joseph’s good. He said, "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good" (Gen 50:20).

And how many of your decisions are miserably thwarted? You may choose to be a millionaire, but God’s providence is likely to prevent it. You may decide to be a scholar, but bad health, an unstable home, or lack of finances may frustrate your will. You choose to go on a vacation, but an automobile accident may send you to the hospital instead.

By saying that your will is free, we certainly do not mean that it determines the course of your life. You did not choose the sickness, sorrow, war, and poverty that have spoiled your happiness. You did not choose to have enemies. If man’s will is so potent, why not choose to live on and on? But you must die. The major factors which shape your life cannot thank your will. You did not select your social status, color, intelligence, etc.

Any sober reflection on your experience will produce the conclusion, "A man’s heart deviseth his way: but THE LORD DIRECTETH his steps" (Prov 16:9). Rather than extolling the human will, we ought to humbly praise the Lord whose purposes shape our lives. As Jeremiah confessed, "O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" (Jer 10:23).

Yes, you may choose what you want, and you may plan what you will do; but your will is not free to accomplish anything contrary to the purposes of God. Neither have you any power to reach your goals but that which God allows you. The next time you are so enamored with your own will, remember Jesus’ parable about the rich man. The wealthy man said, "This I WILL do: I WILL pull down all my barns, and build greater: and there I WILL bestow all my fruits and my goods. . . But God said unto him. Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee" (Luke 12:18-21). He was free to plan but not free to accomplish; so it is with you.​
I could not sleep last night and I have read both your posted articles by Spurgeon and Chantry before you even posted them here.

Coincidence?

We know better.

The ability to make a choice that has not already been foreseen by a supreme being like God. Because if he does know every choice that we will make in this life, prior to you and I even being conceived, and if we cannot make a choice that contradicts God's perfect knowledge of events for our lives, then free will is an illusion.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If we are free to choose, God must not be aware of the choices we will make. If he is, and he judges us based on what he already knows, then I believe it's deeply immoral. It would mean that souls are predestined to go to either heaven or hell after death before the person even draws their first breath.
I think Fastfredy0 and Iconoclast both have answered your question Fastfredy0 offered different definitons of free will. The articles that Iconoclast posted by Spurgeon and Chantry will also give the definitions of free will.

Free will can be a huge subject, but keeping on topic and your question about What is Calvinism?

Defining "Will" means the function of choosing.

Those who deny Calvinism, especially the doctrine of Total Depravity, think of free will as having the free ability to choose salvation.

The Biblical teaching on free will is in opposition to be to "choose" salvation.

This is where we get into Total Depravity and the question I asked earlier, what are you free from?

The Bible teaches that unregenerate human is a slave to sin, what people call freedom, the Bible calls bondage.

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.

Concisely, total depravity says...

That mans heart (mind) is depraved.

Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can know it?

Titus 1:15-16 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled. They profess to know God, but by their works they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and unfit for any good work.

Romans 1:28-31 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to an unfit mind, to do those things which are not proper, having been filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, violent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;

Matthew 15:19 “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, sexual immoralities, thefts, false witness, slanders.

Mans choosing (will) is in bondage to sin.

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.

Titus 3:3 For we ourselves also once were foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, despicable, hating one another.

Galatians 4:8-9 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. But now, having known God, or rather having been known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you want to be enslaved all over again?

The Biblical teaching then follows that humans cannot choose God, because they are a slve (in bondage) to sin.

In all honesty, we are either a slave to sin (unregenerate) or salve to righteousness (regenerate), the latter make you free in Christ.

The apostle Paul comments

Romans 6:15-23 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! Do you not know that when you go on presenting yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you obeyed from the heart that pattern of teaching to which you were given over, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, leading to further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, leading to sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. Therefore what benefit were you then having from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you have your benefit, leading to sanctification, and the end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gracious gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Riven, we can go deeper into Total Depraity if this is what you are looking for. If you are looking for other answers to free will, Fastfredy0 has posted some excellent descriptions on free will and cn get into the theological.

I would also consider reading the links that Iconoclast posted, especially the sermom by Spurgeon.

These are just some things to muse on.

Let us know what you are looking to understand.

Grace and peace to you.

This does not state what Calvinism is.

If you are here to stir the pot, you need to stop.

If you want to debate, open another thread.

One cannot debate something they do not understand.

The O.P. asked for an explanation.

It is obvious you do not undertsand what Calvinism is because you cannot explain it.

Again, here is the question from the OP.

As plain as day.

Please explain to me what makes someone a Calvinist. Thanks.

What makes someone a Calvinist?

Again, the question is clear, and my answer is clear.

A Calvinist is someone who follows the teachings of Calvinism.

Please stop misrepresenting my post and what is being said.

Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.
Proverbs 30:5-6

JLB

We are limited in comparison
He allows us .he doesn't make us choose something we don't want to do.

He lets us decide .

How can heaven be blis if Satan outsmarts God and kills those there and or decieves them ?

I could not sleep last night and I have read both your posted articles by Spurgeon and Chantry before you even posted them here.

Coincidence?

We know better.
These two articles are clear and reader friendly. The show the condition of fallen man.
Many ignore the biblical truth of the fall and it's implications.

Again, here is the question from the OP.
As plain as day.
What makes someone a Calvinist?
God does that by revealing or concealing truth;Mt13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Again, the question is clear, and my answer is clear.
A Calvinist is someone who follows the teachings of Calvinism.
Newsflash! Most "Calvinists "have not read John Calvin. They might have seen a few sentences, or a quote here or there, but most have not read him. Some believe these truths without even knowing of him at all.
Please stop misrepresenting my post and what is being said.
???
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.
Proverbs 30:5-6
Nice verse,
Offer your objections here, and we will offer help and discuss your concerns

Last edited:
JLB has been banned for 3 days from the discussion because his posts are not productive to the conversation and very vague.

Anyone who does not understand the doctrines of grace should not partake in this topic with the OP.

We can all debate the various pnts ot TULIP in another thread.

This is not a debate forum.

Grace and peace to you.

I know. I think God knowing before we commit the act has a direct impact on our agency in the world.

Free from... God knowing in advance what choices we will make. Having agency.

I honestly can't say one way or another. Does God "choose" which people he's going to reveal himself to? Well, the OT certainly makes that seem like a reasonable conclusion to draw.

God knowing what we will do in the future isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself. The problem is that we're being eternally judged based on decisions that we were going to make no matter what, given that God's perfect knowledge cannot be contradicted by man.

In other words, I can't make a choice that God wasn't aware of before I existed. I guess what I'm saying is, how can I possibly be judged when I have no agency over my own life? For all intents and purposes, we're all actors engaging in a play written and directed by God. Do you disagree?
You are asking good questions and it seems to be coming clear to you. Calvinists are simply Christians who trust in God in every sphere of life.
Biblical based Calvinists will not shy away from any biblical topic.
Those who react emotionally rather than biblically will construct strawmen, go to carnal philosophy, feelings, false caricatures, and personal attacks in a vain attempt to silence the messenger.
The words "free will" occur 17x in the OT. Each time it was speaking of offerings that were voluntary, instead of commanded by law. It is never used in the bible of mans will which is bound by sin. Never, Not once.
The concept of a will that is free is a carnal philosophical notion of fallen mankind.
God does not have a free will. His Holy nature forbids such a foul possibility. He cannot lie, He cannot sin, He cannot change . He is not "free" to do any of these things. He does not need to do any such thing.

In heaven our will , will not be able to sin, or desire sin.

JLB has been banned for 3 days from the discussion because his posts are not productive to the conversation and very vague.
I would offer this; sometimes those who fight or resist truth the most, become strong advocates for the very thing they are resisting at this time. There are several other threads on here that JLB can offer his objections on, so we can interact with.I will look at some open threads and see if I can encourage him to interact there, or I will start one if a suitable one does not appear.
Anyone who does not understand the doctrines of grace should not partake in this topic with the OP.
We can all debate the various pnts ot TULIP in another thread.
Okay, this makes it clear...he needs to stay on topic, so JLB...let's find one .
This is not a debate forum.
Grace and peace to you.

You are asking good questions and it seems to be coming clear to you. Calvinists are simply Christians who trust in God in every sphere of life.
Biblical based Calvinists will not shy away from any biblical topic.
Those who react emotionally rather than biblically will construct strawmen, go to carnal philosophy, feelings, false caricatures, and personal attacks in a vain attempt to silence the messenger.
The words "free will" occur 17x in the OT. Each time it was speaking of offerings that were voluntary, instead of commanded by law. It is never used in the bible of mans will which is bound by sin. Never, Not once.
The concept of a will that is free is a carnal philosophical notion of fallen mankind.
God does not have a free will. His Holy nature forbids such a foul possibility. He cannot lie, He cannot sin, He cannot change . He is not "free" to do any of these things. He does not need to do any such thing.

In heaven our will , will not be able to sin, or desire sin.
I want add to this.

Basically, Biblical free will is choosing within the true nature of unregenerate man, now we are back to Total Depravity.

I think Fastfredy0 and Iconoclast both have answered your question Fastfredy0 offered different definitons of free will. The articles that Iconoclast posted by Spurgeon and Chantry will also give the definitions of free will.

Free will can be a huge subject, but keeping on topic and your question about What is Calvinism?

Defining "Will" means the function of choosing.

Those who deny Calvinism, especially the doctrine of Total Depravity, think of free will as having the free ability to choose salvation.

The Biblical teaching on free will is in opposition to be to "choose" salvation.

This is where we get into Total Depravity and the question I asked earlier, what are you free from?

The Bible teaches that unregenerate human is a slave to sin, what people call freedom, the Bible calls bondage.

Concisely, total depravity says...

That mans heart (mind) is depraved.

Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can know it?

Titus 1:15-16 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled. They profess to know God, but by their works they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and unfit for any good work.

Romans 1:28-31 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to an unfit mind, to do those things which are not proper, having been filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, violent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful;

Matthew 15:19 “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, sexual immoralities, thefts, false witness, slanders.

Mans choosing (will) is in bondage to sin.

Titus 3:3 For we ourselves also once were foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, despicable, hating one another.

Galatians 4:8-9 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods. But now, having known God, or rather having been known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you want to be enslaved all over again?

The Biblical teaching then follows that humans cannot choose God, because they are a slve (in bondage) to sin.

In all honesty, we are either a slave to sin (unregenerate) or salve to righteousness (regenerate), the latter make you free in Christ.

The apostle Paul comments

Romans 6:15-23 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! Do you not know that when you go on presenting yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you obeyed from the heart that pattern of teaching to which you were given over, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, leading to further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, leading to sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. Therefore what benefit were you then having from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you have your benefit, leading to sanctification, and the end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gracious gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Riven, we can go deeper into Total Depraity if this is what you are looking for. If you are looking for other answers to free will, Fastfredy0 has posted some excellent descriptions on free will and cn get into the theological.

I would also consider reading the links that Iconoclast posted, especially the sermom by Spurgeon.

These are just some things to muse on.

Let us know what you are looking to understand.

Grace and peace to you.
So, if I'm understanding correctly, Calvinism believes that human beings cannot freely choose to be saved? They must be chosen by God?

So, if I'm understanding correctly, Calvinism believes that human beings cannot freely choose to be saved? They must be chosen by God?
Yes...unsaved men can choose to be religious and make up their own version of a god who does what they want Him to do.. They cannot subject themselves to God , His word, or His people apart from God's grace and mercy
1Cor2:14 But the natural man
receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him:
neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The fall left mankind as physically alive, mentally alert, but spiritually dead. The word for dead in Eph.2 is corpse.

So God has elected a multitude of people before the world was, and at a given point in time The Spirit quickens them to spiritual life, out of the realm of the dead. That is what Jn,3:5-11 calls new birth, or being born from above.
God translates us from death to life spiritually, darkness to light.

Col.1:
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness,
and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Last edited:
This is correct.

However, we do not know who He has chosen.

Calvinism calls the chosen His elect.

God chooses humans on no merit that they have ever done. That is, God did not see me choosing Him before time began an saw I would have faith in Hi.

This has all been established before the foundations of the world.

This is one of the reason many people hate this doctrine. They think that God has partiaity, is unfair, umloving and so on.

The real question is, why did He choose any of us wretched rebellious people.

We all deserve to be damned to hell.

Romans 9:11-16 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that the purpose of God according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, it was said to her, “THE OLDER SHALL SERVE THE YOUNGER.”Just as it is written, “JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED.” What shall we say then? Is there any unrighteousness with God? May it never be! For He says to Moses, “I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.” So then it does not depend on the one who wills or the one who runs, but on God who has mercy.

2 Timothy 1:9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

John 6:37-39 “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will never cast out.
“For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. “Now this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.

These are just a few verses.

Back