Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What is calvinism?

It is the teachings of John Calvin.

If it's not then feel free to explain.

JLB
I have expalined in my posts.

Your replies tell me that you do not know.

The teachings of Joh Calvin, do you really believe that was the answer the O.P. was looking for?

Obviously, it is a love and pursuit of God, and His revealed word, that is used by God, as the Spirit of God allows someone to welcome these truths. As truth is God given, there is no where else to go.

Jesus Christ is the Truth.
His words are the truth.
His words are Spirit and Life.

No other human being can make this claim, not John Calvin, not the Pope, Not the apostle Paul or Peter...

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:10-13

As for myself, I say "I am of Christ".

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal? 1 Corinthians 3:1-4

According to scripture --

Those who follow other men's teachings are carnal, immature and are those who promote strife and divisions.

I have found this to be true, especially on this Forum.

JLB

Any who follow the teaching of scripture ,eventually are called a Calvinist, even people who lived before Calvin!
Moses was a Calvinist, Isaiah was a Calvinist, king David was a Calvinist.etc

This of course in undeniably false.

No where in scripture are we called to follow and learn from the teachings of man.

Moses wrote scripture because the Holy Spirit moved upon and inspired him to write.

JLB

I have expalined in my posts.

Your replies tell me that you do not know.

The teachings of Joh Calvin, do you really believe that was the answer the O.P. was looking for?

Yes, I explained what makes some a Calvinist.

It's a person who follows the teachings of John Calvin.

JLB

No where in scripture are we called to follow and learn from the teachings of man.

Moses wrote scripture because the Holy Spirit moved upon and inspired him to write.

JLB
This is not on topic.

If you are do not understand what Calvinism is, that is fine.

But please refrain from posting off topic material.

Again the O.P. is looking for an expalination as I see it of what Calvinism is.

On the other hand, you are welcomed to open a thread to debate what you know about the Doctrines of Grace.

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:
The following from: http://drjohnsanders.com/is-open-theism-a-radical-revision-or-miniscule-modification-of-arminianism/ John Sanders, who is an Open Theist, defines Reformed Theology (Calvinism)

“According to Classical theism divine perfection means that
God is absolutely independent of creation and cannot be dependent upon a creature in any respect. The motivation for this view arises out of a particular conception of perfection as applied to God. That is, if it is good to have qualities such as knowledge, will, power, and love, then what must a being that is perfect in these qualities be like? It is argued that God is perfect in the sense that there can be no possible improvement or potential for change since any change in God could only be a change for the worse.
Classical theism (Reformed Theology) affirms basic theism but adds a number of very carefully defined attributes. God is a simple, immaterial, immutable, impassible, timeless, necessary, personal, pure act, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, and wholly good.
Although T.U.L.I.P. defines reformed theology's view point in those matters, it does not define Calvinism. T.U.L.I.P. was developed to answer opposition on these matters.

Most verses used to object to Calvinism employ the ambiguous words: WORLD, ALL and EVERYONE where EVERYONE is a synonym for ALL. See John 3:16, John 6:51, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:4,6, A close study of every verse using WORLD and ALL will reveal the ambiguity if just only one interpretation of these words were to be applied.

Calvinism is monogistic meaning God completely determines a person salvation whereas most (all?) other Christian denominations are synergistic meaning they believe a person is saved by their work of salvific faith which is the cause of God adopting them as sons or daughters where said 'work' is not caused by God. Salvation is a team effort in which the God shares His glory of salvation with those who are saved (synergism).

Finally, Calvinism might be defined by the 5 solas. We are saved per the contains of Scripture Alone, by God's Grace Alone, by Faith Alone, In Christ Alone for the Glory of God Alone.

I believe all other denominations, if they stand by their doctrine, believe in salvation by works; some to a greater degree than others. In others words, they must do something (WORK) independent of God (not caused by God) in other to be saved.

Definition of WORK: a mental and/or physical activity to accomplish a purpose. Any work in regards to salvation from a Reformed (Calvinism) prospective is caused to happen by God, not the person. John 6:29 Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”

The following from: http://drjohnsanders.com/is-open-theism-a-radical-revision-or-miniscule-modification-of-arminianism/ John Sanders, who is an Open Theist, defines Reformed Theology (Calvinism)

“According to Classical theism divine perfection means that
God is absolutely independent of creation and cannot be dependent upon a creature in any respect. The motivation for this view arises out of a particular conception of perfection as applied to God. That is, if it is good to have qualities such as knowledge, will, power, and love, then what must a being that is perfect in these qualities be like? It is argued that God is perfect in the sense that there can be no possible improvement or potential for change since any change in God could only be a change for the worse.
Classical theism (Reformed Theology) affirms basic theism but adds a number of very carefully defined attributes. God is a simple, immaterial, immutable, impassible, timeless, necessary, personal, pure act, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, and wholly good.
Although T.U.L.I.P. defines reformed theology's view point in those matters, it does not define Calvinism. T.U.L.I.P. was developed to answer opposition on these matters.

Most verses used to object to Calvinism employ the ambiguous words: WORLD, ALL and EVERYONE where EVERYONE is a synonym for ALL. See John 3:16, John 6:51, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:4,6, A close study of every verse using WORLD and ALL will reveal the ambiguity if just only one interpretation of these words were to be applied.

Calvinism is monogistic meaning God completely determines a person salvation whereas most (all?) other Christian denominations are synergistic meaning they believe a person is saved by their work of salvific faith which is the cause of God adopting them as sons or daughters where said 'work' is not caused by God. Salvation is a team effort in which the God shares His glory of salvation with those who are saved (synergism).

Finally, Calvinism might be defined by the 5 solas. We are saved per the contains of Scripture Alone, by God's Grace Alone, by Faith Alone, In Christ Alone for the Glory of God Alone.

I believe all other denominations, if they stand by their doctrine, believe in salvation by works; some to a greater degree than others. In others words, they must do something (WORK) independent of God (not caused by God) in other to be saved.

Definition of WORK: a mental and/or physical activity to accomplish a purpose. Any work in regards to salvation from a Reformed (Calvinism) prospective is caused to happen by God, not the person. John 6:29 Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”

Excellent.

Jesus Christ is the Truth.
His words are the truth.
His words are Spirit and Life.

No other human being can make this claim, not John Calvin, not the Pope, Not the apostle Paul or Peter...

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:10-13

As for myself, I say "I am of Christ".

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal? 1 Corinthians 3:1-4

According to scripture --

Those who follow other men's teachings are carnal, immature and are those who promote strife and divisions.

I have found this to be true, especially on this Forum.

JLB
Which Jesus? on this message board you have many who deny Jesus is God.
11 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.

2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

No...it is quite true
Yes we are in several places
Yes he did.
Well scripture says otherwise;
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Yes God has ordained men to teach other people.
Heb13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

This is not on topic.

If you are do not understand what Calvinism is, that is fine.

But please refrain from posting off topic material.

Again the O.P. is looking for an expalination as I see it of what Calvinism is.

If you continue to keep posting off topic, I will remove your posts.

On the other hand, you are welcomed to open a thread to debate what you know about the Doctrines of Grace.

Grace and peace to you.

I understand that Calvinism, like Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism, is the doctrine and beliefs of that particular religion.

Jesus Christ taught us His doctrine as found in the New Testament.

Yes we are in several places

Another undeniably false statement.

The apostles and writers of the New Testament only taught the doctrince of Christ.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9

Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. 1 Timothy 4:16

• for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

JLB

I understand that Calvinism, like Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism, is the doctrine and beliefs of that particular religion.

Jesus Christ taught us His doctrine as found in the New Testament.
This does not state what Calvinism is.

If you are here to stir the pot, you need to stop.

If you want to debate, open another thread.

One cannot debate something they do not understand.

The O.P. asked for an explanation.

It is obvious you do not undertsand what Calvinism is because you cannot explain it.

If only there was some reformed large church in Florida ,some large well known one with a seminary in Broward ..

Might ask them

Friends, this thread is not open for debate and replies must address the OP, and any further off-topic posts will result in banning from the discussion from now on.

I want to focus on what Riven posted and give solid Biblical answers.

Stay on topic.

The sovereignty of God in everything is what it basically comes down to. This means that God is in control and does exactly as He pleases with His creation.
What does this mean in practice? Do Calvinists believe human beings have free will and are capable of making decisions that contradict God's prefect knowledge of our lives?

This doctrine is hated by many, but brings great comfort to those who believe it.
Why is it hated?

What does this mean in practice? Do Calvinists believe human beings have free will and are capable of making decisions that contradict God's prefect knowledge of our lives?

Why is it hated?

What does this mean in practice? Do Calvinists believe human beings have free will

Its best we start with these questions.

Define free will? (from a Biblical perspective if you understand that)

And free from what?

Getting late here, I can pick up tomorrow.

Other members will also chime in

Grace and peace to you.

Back