Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] What Is Consciousness?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The title of this thread.
Can we give it a definition?
Does the Bible address this?

Good question. The bible addresses consciousness as any source does regarding awareness by people, and testifying to their being and existence. However, I don't know if it answers what makes my consciousness mine and why I perceive the universe only through these eyes and ears and not yours. I can understand separate entities, but any given consciousness is only one vantage point and for all he knows is the only being in the universe, and all others around him are a dream. Looking back, I think that was the source of my anxiety as a kid and claiming things felt like a "dream world" I used to think this deep.

But here's another thing to ponder. Do you know that you are in a sense dead? You don't have the consciousness, memories, or experiences of someone who lives in say, China. You have no idea what's going on there. With respect to you it's as if you are dead, and know no more than a dead person -- nothing. So for anyone who has full life must therefore be omniscient and omnipresent. But we are not totally dead; as like I said we each experience our specific universe through a certain set of eyes and ears in which the next person is dead to.

Now that's here in this present form. When we are one day "like Him" will we also become all in all as the Father? I think so. This is also a mystery, being separate, and yet One. God is a family, with only two members right now -- (John 1:1 and more to be added at the resurrection)

Thanks tim-from-pa.
As I was sitting here, I thought of this verse, Genesis 2:7;
"Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being".

When God made man alive, all his senses were activated and he became conscious.
So a definition of consciousness would be "life".
At least to us humans.
Consciousness to other forms of life might be defined differently.

The title of this thread.
Can we give it a definition?
Does the Bible address this?
I will try...
Our internal awareness of what is true; right and wrong, possessing a moral compass.

I think this verse is referring to our consciousness:

Romans 1:19-23
because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Thanks tim-from-pa.
As I was sitting here, I thought of this verse, Genesis 2:7;
"Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being".

When God made man alive, all his senses were activated and he became conscious.
So a definition of consciousness would be "life".
At least to us humans.
Consciousness to other forms of life might be defined differently.
ok now we getting into what is a soul. the nephesh Chaya. a dog and other types of higher animals are aware of death, they do have feelings.

ok now we getting into what is a soul. the nephesh Chaya. a dog and other types of higher animals are aware of death, they do have feelings.
Yes, I think God created everything to recognize him and worship him.
It's just all done differently then we can understand.
Look at Gary's latest video in God of Wonders.

Yes, I think God created everything to recognize him and worship him.?
It's just all done differently then we can understand.
Look at Gary's latest video in God of Wonders.
the yud? or the vah? of course creation has a ruach and cries out and declares the glory of god. but is this thread about human awareness or knowing right from wrong?

ok. the yechida or the oneness with god or the ability we have to know that there is a god is unique to us only in the animal kingdom. an animal might know his creator but he cant articulate it if it all that he is aware.
This is only true according to our awareness.
There may be something going on between God and all of his creation that we are unaware of.

This is only true according to our awareness.
There may be something going on between God and all of his creation that we are unaware of.
I need to get the quotes from ramban on the yud and also the ruach and the vey. this is jewish thought and well you just about said what jews often say. I don't think animals are able to sin but that doesn't mean they don't have some level of awareness. ie death, fear, love and sadness. I have watched dogs mourn and be sad when their masters pass away. I have watched a video of a huskey crying.

I need to get the quotes from ramban on the yud and also the ruach and the vey. this is jewish thought and well you just about said what jews often say. I don't think animals are able to sin but that doesn't mean they don't have some level of awareness. ie death, fear, love and sadness. I have watched dogs mourn and be sad when their masters pass away. I have watched a video of a huskey crying.
I think there is a lot to consciousness that we don't understand.

To be honest the question of what is consciousness stirs up thoughts of some new age, eastern religious guru or swami (for me anyways). If you are conscious you are awake if unconscious you are not.

To be honest the question of what is consciousness stirs up thoughts of some new age, eastern religious guru or swami (for me anyways). If you are conscious you are awake if unconscious you are not.
Have you ever heard of zombies?
That's eastern stuff for real.

Have you ever heard of zombies?

i_music.gif

That which is alive can have either consciousness (like a person) or lack of consciousness (like a tree, I think. Or a person knocked out on the operating table for sure. :lol)

But that which is dead is opposite of life, and never has consciousness, indeed death is a future form of non-existence similar to before there was life, so death goes beyond lack of consciousness, because there is no being existing to have lack of consciousness or consciousness. It's as if they never were.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back