Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What is self-righteousness, really?

What's self-righteousness?

Classik -

Greetings to you this morning. Hope you are having a blessed day..

I would have to say that self-righteousness is moral superiority meaning that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. To put one-self, and their beliefs higher then they ought. Most times self-righteousness and hypocrisy go hand in hand together.

Thoughts?

LJ

Self righteousness for me is about saying "look at me, I'm a good person and I make myself right since I'm using my standardd"

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Typically...people that are self righteous use vague scriptures to push their own personal opinions on spiritual matters. They usually come from a self made moral authority and there is no room for discussion...they are right, you are wrong. That is it.

What's self-righteousness?
It's the boast of being righteous because you do righteous things, as opposed to the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith, not by what you do:

"(being) found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law (doing righteous works), but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." (Phil. 3:9 NIV1984)

Self righteousness says, "I am righteous because I have done good."

God's righteousness says, "I am righteous because God has given me right standing before him through the forgiveness of my sins."

Self righteousness produces a harsh, demanding, unforgiving person. They expect you to be as good as they are. God's righteousness produces a humble, understanding, forgiving person who knows full well the grace they have received to no boast of their own.

Interesting replys. Thanks to all.

Do we however think self-righteousness is the same as uprightness?

Also, let's judge the OP from this perspective (altho some of us have roughly addressed it), Two people exist: X and Y.

X is a Christian and keeps bible principles - 'living a holy life'.
Y is a typical unbeliever and is upright in whatever he does. He's a just dude. (He doesn't steal, cheat, lie etc....but he's not a Christian).

Considering the two, X and Y (not the mathematical jargon <sorry, Tim;)> both obey the laws and do good things. The only difference is X has a bible. I'm I right??? The distinguishing factor is just the bible.

My cousin was once asked to make peace with God and live for Him. We told him: 'repent...'. He said: I don't do bad.

Any difference between a typical X from a typical Y?

Interesting replys. Thanks to all.

Do we however think self-righteousness is the same as uprightness?

Also, let's judge the OP from this perspective (altho some of us have roughly addressed it), Two people exist: X and Y.

X is a Christian and keeps bible principles - 'living a holy life'.
Y is a typical unbeliever and is upright in whatever he does. He's a just dude. (He doesn't steal, cheat, lie etc....but he's not a Christian).

Considering the two, X and Y (not the mathematical jargon <sorry, Tim;)> both obey the laws and do good things. The only difference is X has a bible. I'm I right??? The distinguishing factor is just the bible.

My cousin was once asked to make peace with God and live for Him. We told him: 'repent...'. He said: I don't do bad.

Any difference between a typical X from a typical Y?

Classik -

If X is living a "holy life" as you suggest in your reply then:

X has faith - Mark 11:22, Hebrews 11:6

Y doesn't

A huge difference between the two, one counts for fleshly rightenouess Isaiah 64:6 which is but filithy rags in the sight of God; and the other of spiritual rightenouess Romans 8:4 - To be noted - Caring a Bible around does not make one a Christian. But, by living in faith and being obeident to the Word

Classik -

If X is living a "holy life" as you suggest in your reply then:

X has faith - Mark 11:22, Hebrews 11:6

Y doesn't

A huge difference between the two, one counts for fleshly rightenouess Isaiah 64:6 which is but filithy rags in the sight of God; and the other of spiritual rightenouess Romans 8:4 - To be noted - Caring a Bible around does not make one a Christian. But, by living in faith and being obeident to the Word
ThANKS:wave. 'Bible', as used in that post is in a symbolic sense. By it I mean a true Christian. :)

I would have to say that self-righteousness is moral superiority meaning that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person.

I agree with you. I am new to this forum but I am continually reading your thoughts. They are very inspiring.

I would have to say that self-righteousness is moral superiority meaning that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. To put one-self, and their beliefs higher then they ought. Most times self-righteousness and hypocrisy go hand in hand together.

Thoughts?

Self-righteousness isn't in recognizing your moral superiority, if you are morally superior.

Self-righteousness is when we're not as righteous as we think we are. Liberalism is an illustration of self-righteousness. Liberals make up their own (often hypocritical) standards, rather than following God's standards, of righteousness.

Self-righteousness isn't in recognizing your moral superiority, if you are morally superior.

Self-righteousness is when we're not as righteous as we think we are. Liberalism is an illustration of self-righteousness. Liberals make up their own (often hypocritical) standards, rather than following God's standards, of righteousness.
Your definition seems to suggest self-righteousness and complacency are similar or the same.

It's the boast of being righteous because you do righteous things, as opposed to the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith, not by what you do:

"(being) found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law (doing righteous works), but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." (Phil. 3:9 NIV1984)

Self righteousness says, "I am righteous because I have done good."

God's righteousness says, "I am righteous because God has given me right standing before him through the forgiveness of my sins."

Self righteousness produces a harsh, demanding, unforgiving person. They expect you to be as good as they are. God's righteousness produces a humble, understanding, forgiving person who knows full well the grace they have received to no boast of their own.

I am humble, understanding, forgiving and I don't follow God, so your post isn't all that true.

Infinity

By who's standards are you applying to conclude that you are those things? Are you doing so by your own efforts?

Btw I don't see self righteousness as necessarily a bad/arrogant thing

It's a long video but Michael Ramsden touches on self righteousness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miov4Owm4is

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

What's the difference between Righteousness and Self-Righteousness?

Matthew 5:48
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Self-righteousness can be internal or external. What I mean by that is there are those "Holier than thou" people who see themselves as superior to others. Those people are internally self-righteous, and are definitely sinning.

External "self-righteousness" is the opinion of others. "He's so self-righteous!" You shouldn't live your life trying to please everyone. Its impossible, and Jesus certainly didn't please everyone. People can take offence at anything.

Naturally, someone who embraces some sin, will be offended by someone who doesn't engage in that behaviour. We shouldn't make others uncomfortable by our behaviour, but we certainly shouldn't compromise. Jesus remained Holy even though he ate with sinners.

It's our duty as Christians to influence the morality of this nation. We shouldn't tolerate sin. We certainly shouldn't legislate sin. We should speak out against it.

If we speak out against sin, we will be seen by some as being "self-righteous". It's unavoidable. Showing God's light in this world of darkness is bound to cause offense. It's because people are being convicted of their own sin, and they don't like that.

...........Self-righteousness can be internal or external. What I mean by that is there are those "Holier than thou" people who see themselves as superior to others. Those people are internally self-righteous, and are definitely sinning.
..............If we speak out against sin, we will be seen by some as being "self-righteous". It's unavoidable. Showing God's light in this world of darkness is bound to cause offense. It's because people are being convicted of their own sin, and they don't like that.

This is just one of several excellent answers. We all seem to know what it is - it is the way that other chap behaves:)

Can I give two examples.

1. There are some who feel that it is a sin to drink. I have no idea why:grumpy. They are self-righteous in proclaiming their 'virtue' in abstaining and seeking to stop others. They think they are doing gods work.:shrug

2. It was once very common for people to be executed for being heretics. Burning was very popular:onfire if someone like me was bold enough to question 'authority'. The people doing the burning also claimed they were doing God's work. Their extreme self righteousness 'justified' murder even for the slightest deviation in belief.

The common link with these, and always, is that the self-righteous person thinks he know best. As often as not he is simply ignorant and led astray due to his ignorance.

I agree with you. I am new to this forum but I am continually reading your thoughts. They are very inspiring.

Cary Byrd -

Greetings to you today in our Lord Jesus Christ, I hope you're having a blessed Tuesday.

Thank you for the kinda words. I pray with humbleness that they continue to inspire those who read the forums and they in return will pour out in over-flow of others and their post(s). :amen

When we don't recognize that any goodness on our part is an ugly stench to God, we are being self righteous. (All our righteousness is as filthy (mestrual) rags.)
Even when we are trying our best to walk in the Spirit and obey His Voice, we fall far short of God's perfection. Therefore it is still missing the mark of perfection is and sin. But God has on rose colored glasses--stained by the blood of Jesus. We are clean through His blood. There is no good thing in me but the Spirit of God Who makes me His child. To think that there is any other good in me at all is self righteousness.

Back