Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the conviction of sin?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I just read this answer from got questions.org where the question is "What is the conviction of sin?". It's super short, but to make it even shorter, it says the conviction of sin is not guilt or shame, is not trepidation or foreboding of divine punishment, is not the mere knowledge of right and wrong.

Then what is it exactly? Yes, I read the answer in full. But I'm still confused. I feel like a lot of people out there, even in church, probably feel bad because they haven't felt this feeling because it doesn't have a clear definition and no one can be sure if they are convicted. Maybe I'm missing something. Please help.

THE CONVICTING BY THE SPIRIT

And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. (16:8–11)

The Holy Spirit does not minister only to believers, but also to the unbelieving world. Though the word convict judicially implies a negative connotation, theologically the Spirit’s convicting ministry is an exceedingly positive one. His goal is to bring sinners to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

No one can be saved apart from the Spirit’s convicting and regenerating work. The Bible teaches that all people are by nature rebels against God and hostile to Jesus Christ. They are “dead in [their] trespasses and sins” (Eph. 2:1); “by nature children of wrath” (v. 3); “darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart … callous [having] given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness” (Eph. 4:18–19); “and alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds” (Col. 1:21); blinded by Satan so that they cannot understand spiritual truth (2 Cor. 4:4; cf. Luke 8:5, 12). In that condition, they are helpless; they are unable to believe the truth and are even guilty of suppressing it (Rom. 1:18–32). In John 6:44 Jesus declared, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him.” In a graphic description of fallen man’s utter inability to seek God on his own, Paul wrote,

There is none righteous, not even one; there is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; all have turned aside, together they have become useless; there is none who does good, there is not even one. Their throat is an open grave, with their tongues they keep deceiving, the poison of asps is under their lips; whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness; their feet are swift to shed blood, destruction and misery are in their paths, and the path of peace they have not known. There is no fear of God before their eyes. (Rom. 3:10–18)

The world hates Jesus Christ because sinfulness hates righteousness, imperfection hates perfection, and the “domain of darkness” hates the “kingdom of His beloved Son” (Col. 1:13; cf. John 3:19). It is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to penetrate hearts steeped in sin, overcome sinners’ resistance to the gospel, and bring them through saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to fellowship with God.

To do that, the Spirit must break the power of sin that enslaves people (John 8:34), and the love of iniquity that keeps them in rebellion against God. Jesus had already told the disciples that the Spirit would testify about Him to the world (15:26). In addition to that outward testimony, the Spirit also convicts the hearts of sinners. When He comes on the day of Pentecost, Jesus said, the Spirit will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.

The beginning of the Holy Spirit’s saving ministry to the lost is revealed in this word convict. The word can describe convicting in a judicial sense, like a criminal who is convicted of wrongdoing (cf. its use in James 2:9 and Jude 15). Ultimately, those convicted in this sense will be sentenced to eternal punishment in hell. But in this context the word more likely refers to being convinced of the reality of sin and the need for salvation in Christ (cf. 1 Cor. 14:24). It is the Spirit’s mission to present the truth about Jesus Christ to the world (15:26); those who reject the truth will be found guilty and judged by the Son and Father (5:22, 27, 30).

The Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning three things: sin and righteousness and judgment. The singular form of hamartias (sin) refers not to sin in general but specifically to the ultimate sin of refusing to believe in Jesus Christ. It is that sin that finally damns people, since all others are forgiven when a person believes savingly in Him (cf. Matt. 12:31–32). In John 3:18 Jesus said, “He who believes in Him (Christ) is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” In 5:40 He rebuked those who were “unwilling to come to [Him] so that [they might] have life.” He solemnly warned the unbelieving Jews, “Unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins” (John 8:24). The sole issue that determines people’s eternal destiny is how they react to the Spirit’s convicting ministry concerning their own sin and the provision of forgiveness by grace through Jesus Christ.

Second, Jesus told the disciples, “the Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me.” The righteousness here is that which belongs to Jesus Christ by nature as the holy Son of God. This is the flip side of the previous point; not only does the Spirit convict unbelievers of their sin, but also of the necessity of having the perfect righteousness of Christ (cf. Matt. 5:20, 48). When their wickedness is compared to His sinless holiness, their sin is seen more truly for the detestable evil that it is. And the sinner is face-to-face with the impossibility of salvation by any effort, work, or achievement he may do.

The Lord’s statement, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me, provides the supreme evidence of His righteousness: His acceptance into the Father’s presence. Habakkuk 1:13 says of God, “Your eyes are too pure to approve evil, and You can not look on wickedness with favor.” When the Father “highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name” (Phil. 2:9), He Himself testified to Christ’s righteousness. Those who heed the Spirit’s testimony about their utter sinfulness and Christ’s perfect righteousness and respond to the gospel in genuine faith, are instantly clothed with His righteousness. Their sins are placed fully on Him and, in His death at the hands of God’s holy justice, He paid the penalty in full (Phil. 3:9; cf. Rom. 3:21–22; 4:5, 13; 5:21; 10:10; 1 Cor. 1:30; 2 Cor. 5:21). God justifies sinners when He accounts their sins to have been paid for by Christ’s death and Christ’s righteousness is credited to them by His grace alone.

Finally, the Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. The world’s judgments are erroneous and evil, as was supremely demonstrated by its rejection of the Son of God. But while the world is incapable of judging righteously (cf. 7:24), the Spirit always does so. He convicts people of their false assessment of Jesus Christ.

The ruler of this world is Satan (12:31; 14:30; 1 John 5:19). He has already been judged and cast from heaven along with the rest of the angels who rebelled with him (Rev. 12:7–9; cf. Luke 10:18). He was totally defeated at the cross (Col. 2:15; Heb. 2:14; 1 John 3:8), when what appeared to be his hour of triumph was in reality the hour of his undoing. Though Satan has been defeated and judged, the final sentence against him will not be carried out until the end of the millennium (Rev. 20:10). In the meantime he goes about as the god of this age, seeking to capture and devour souls. The sobering warning to those who embrace the world system is that since its ruler will not escape judgment, neither will they, unless they repent. The Devil’s fate guarantees the judgment of every unrepentant sinner.

There are only two possible responses to the convicting work of the Spirit: repentance or rejection. From those who reject the Spirit’s conviction will come hostility to the followers of Christ. Their end is “eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power” (2 Thess. 1:9). Those who repent when the Spirit convicts them will spend eternity in the inexpressible glory and joy of heaven. Yet they will, in this life, face fiery trials of persecution without a fatal defection because “greater is He who is in [them] than he who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).

John F. MacArthur Jr., John 12–21, MacArthur New Testament Commentary (Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2008), 195–199.

Here are a couple of long articles. They are way too long for me to try to summarize.

Here are a couple of long articles. They are way too long for me to try to summarize.

Interesting, I was going to post the exact same articles and authors before I went with John Macarthur.

Grace and peace to you.

Personal example…
I knew about Jesus Christ before I got saved. I got truly saved when I was convicted of my sins and said a diy sinner’s prayer 🙏. I was one of those who cried at the time and I still sometimes have to hold back tears when I reflect and remember.

That’s an example of godly sorrow working repentance. It’s not that I’m a super Christian just a Christian.

Not so good example: any number of people who are convicted of their sins and the response is anger and hardening their hearts. My interpretation of scripture is that the elect respond with repentance in God’s time. Others have different opinions…

I read the first one. I had to look up the definition of a few words. From what I gather, it's not about knowing sin is bad or trying to do good deeds, but realizing that salvation comes from grace. Once you acknowledge this, you'll naturally start to reject sin instead of just telling yourself not to sin. Am I close?

THE CONVICTING BY THE SPIRIT

And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. (16:8–11)

The Holy Spirit does not minister only to believers, but also to the unbelieving world. Though the word convict judicially implies a negative connotation, theologically the Spirit’s convicting ministry is an exceedingly positive one. His goal is to bring sinners to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

No one can be saved apart from the Spirit’s convicting and regenerating work. The Bible teaches that all people are by nature rebels against God and hostile to Jesus Christ. They are “dead in [their] trespasses and sins” (Eph. 2:1); “by nature children of wrath” (v. 3); “darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart … callous [having] given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness” (Eph. 4:18–19); “and alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds” (Col. 1:21); blinded by Satan so that they cannot understand spiritual truth (2 Cor. 4:4; cf. Luke 8:5, 12). In that condition, they are helpless; they are unable to believe the truth and are even guilty of suppressing it (Rom. 1:18–32). In John 6:44 Jesus declared, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him.” In a graphic description of fallen man’s utter inability to seek God on his own, Paul wrote,

There is none righteous, not even one; there is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; all have turned aside, together they have become useless; there is none who does good, there is not even one. Their throat is an open grave, with their tongues they keep deceiving, the poison of asps is under their lips; whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness; their feet are swift to shed blood, destruction and misery are in their paths, and the path of peace they have not known. There is no fear of God before their eyes. (Rom. 3:10–18)

The world hates Jesus Christ because sinfulness hates righteousness, imperfection hates perfection, and the “domain of darkness” hates the “kingdom of His beloved Son” (Col. 1:13; cf. John 3:19). It is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to penetrate hearts steeped in sin, overcome sinners’ resistance to the gospel, and bring them through saving faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to fellowship with God.

To do that, the Spirit must break the power of sin that enslaves people (John 8:34), and the love of iniquity that keeps them in rebellion against God. Jesus had already told the disciples that the Spirit would testify about Him to the world (15:26). In addition to that outward testimony, the Spirit also convicts the hearts of sinners. When He comes on the day of Pentecost, Jesus said, the Spirit will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.

The beginning of the Holy Spirit’s saving ministry to the lost is revealed in this word convict. The word can describe convicting in a judicial sense, like a criminal who is convicted of wrongdoing (cf. its use in James 2:9 and Jude 15). Ultimately, those convicted in this sense will be sentenced to eternal punishment in hell. But in this context the word more likely refers to being convinced of the reality of sin and the need for salvation in Christ (cf. 1 Cor. 14:24). It is the Spirit’s mission to present the truth about Jesus Christ to the world (15:26); those who reject the truth will be found guilty and judged by the Son and Father (5:22, 27, 30).

The Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning three things: sin and righteousness and judgment. The singular form of hamartias (sin) refers not to sin in general but specifically to the ultimate sin of refusing to believe in Jesus Christ. It is that sin that finally damns people, since all others are forgiven when a person believes savingly in Him (cf. Matt. 12:31–32). In John 3:18 Jesus said, “He who believes in Him (Christ) is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” In 5:40 He rebuked those who were “unwilling to come to [Him] so that [they might] have life.” He solemnly warned the unbelieving Jews, “Unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins” (John 8:24). The sole issue that determines people’s eternal destiny is how they react to the Spirit’s convicting ministry concerning their own sin and the provision of forgiveness by grace through Jesus Christ.

Second, Jesus told the disciples, “the Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me.” The righteousness here is that which belongs to Jesus Christ by nature as the holy Son of God. This is the flip side of the previous point; not only does the Spirit convict unbelievers of their sin, but also of the necessity of having the perfect righteousness of Christ (cf. Matt. 5:20, 48). When their wickedness is compared to His sinless holiness, their sin is seen more truly for the detestable evil that it is. And the sinner is face-to-face with the impossibility of salvation by any effort, work, or achievement he may do.

The Lord’s statement, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me, provides the supreme evidence of His righteousness: His acceptance into the Father’s presence. Habakkuk 1:13 says of God, “Your eyes are too pure to approve evil, and You can not look on wickedness with favor.” When the Father “highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name” (Phil. 2:9), He Himself testified to Christ’s righteousness. Those who heed the Spirit’s testimony about their utter sinfulness and Christ’s perfect righteousness and respond to the gospel in genuine faith, are instantly clothed with His righteousness. Their sins are placed fully on Him and, in His death at the hands of God’s holy justice, He paid the penalty in full (Phil. 3:9; cf. Rom. 3:21–22; 4:5, 13; 5:21; 10:10; 1 Cor. 1:30; 2 Cor. 5:21). God justifies sinners when He accounts their sins to have been paid for by Christ’s death and Christ’s righteousness is credited to them by His grace alone.

Finally, the Holy Spirit convicts the world concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. The world’s judgments are erroneous and evil, as was supremely demonstrated by its rejection of the Son of God. But while the world is incapable of judging righteously (cf. 7:24), the Spirit always does so. He convicts people of their false assessment of Jesus Christ.

The ruler of this world is Satan (12:31; 14:30; 1 John 5:19). He has already been judged and cast from heaven along with the rest of the angels who rebelled with him (Rev. 12:7–9; cf. Luke 10:18). He was totally defeated at the cross (Col. 2:15; Heb. 2:14; 1 John 3:8), when what appeared to be his hour of triumph was in reality the hour of his undoing. Though Satan has been defeated and judged, the final sentence against him will not be carried out until the end of the millennium (Rev. 20:10). In the meantime he goes about as the god of this age, seeking to capture and devour souls. The sobering warning to those who embrace the world system is that since its ruler will not escape judgment, neither will they, unless they repent. The Devil’s fate guarantees the judgment of every unrepentant sinner.

There are only two possible responses to the convicting work of the Spirit: repentance or rejection. From those who reject the Spirit’s conviction will come hostility to the followers of Christ. Their end is “eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power” (2 Thess. 1:9). Those who repent when the Spirit convicts them will spend eternity in the inexpressible glory and joy of heaven. Yet they will, in this life, face fiery trials of persecution without a fatal defection because “greater is He who is in [them] than he who is in the world” (1 John 4:4).

John F. MacArthur Jr., John 12–21, MacArthur New Testament Commentary (Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2008), 195–199.
Thank you for posting this. Is this all saying that conviction is the way salvation is brought to us? Am I close? Or way off?

I just read this answer from got questions.org where the question is "What is the conviction of sin?". It's super short, but to make it even shorter, it says the conviction of sin is not guilt or shame, is not trepidation or foreboding of divine punishment, is not the mere knowledge of right and wrong.

Then what is it exactly? Yes, I read the answer in full. But I'm still confused. I feel like a lot of people out there, even in church, probably feel bad because they haven't felt this feeling because it doesn't have a clear definition and no one can be sure if they are convicted. Maybe I'm missing something. Please help.

Conviction - not the mere guiltiness of a pricked conscience - is the prompting of the Holy Spirit to return to God in humility, repentance and confession of sin in order that fellowship with Him might be restored. The end of the Spirit's conviction is reconciliation with God and resumption of joyful communion with Him, not shame, condemnation, isolation and fear (e.g. Adam and Eve at the Fall).

2 Corinthians 5:20-21
20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Romans 8:1
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

1 John 1:3
3 ...our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

James 4:8-10
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

All that God did through Christ was aimed at bringing us into fellowship - not just relationship - with Himself (2 Corinthians 13:14). Jesus said that he came to give us all "life more abundant" (John 10:10), a life of love, peace and rest (Matthew 11:28-30; 1 John 4:16-19), a life filled with the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), not a life of constant guilt and fear that is filled with panicked efforts to appease an angry God.

1 John 4:18-19
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
19 We love, because He first loved us.

Psalm 36:7-9
7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.
8 They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.
9 For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light.

Conviction - not the mere guiltiness of a pricked conscience - is the prompting of the Holy Spirit to return to God in humility, repentance and confession of sin in order that fellowship with Him might be restored. The end of the Spirit's conviction is reconciliation with God and resumption of joyful communion with Him, not shame, condemnation, isolation and fear (e.g. Adam and Eve at the Fall).

2 Corinthians 5:20-21
20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Romans 8:1
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

1 John 1:3
3 ...our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

James 4:8-10
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

All that God did through Christ was aimed at bringing us into fellowship - not just relationship - with Himself (2 Corinthians 13:14). Jesus said that he came to give us all "life more abundant" (John 10:10), a life of love, peace and rest (Matthew 11:28-30; 1 John 4:16-19), a life filled with the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), not a life of constant guilt and fear that is filled with panicked efforts to appease an angry God.

1 John 4:18-19
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
19 We love, because He first loved us.

Psalm 36:7-9
7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.
8 They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.
9 For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light.
Thank you so much for this. I have just been having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I apologize to you and to everyone else if I have been annoying, or if I said something sinful, or if I have said something blasphemous.

Thank you so much for this. I have just been having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I apologize to you and to everyone else if I have been annoying, or if I said something sinful, or if I have said something blasphemous.

Annoying? Not at all. It is a privilege and a joy to be able to help you to a better understanding of God and His Truth.

Am I close?
I like the definition from the Websters dictionary:
"The state of being convinced of error or compelled to admit the truth." After this comes repentance "to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life."

Most people excuse sin or whatever they are excused of and try to make it look not so bad. A perfect example of this is going on right now with Fulton County prosecutor Fani Willis.
"Willis, on the stand late in the hearing, raged furiously about what she claimed were "lies" about her." She is accusing everybody of going against her of racism.

I like the definition from the Websters dictionary:
"The state of being convinced of error or compelled to admit the truth." After this comes repentance "to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life."

Most people excuse sin or whatever they are excused of and try to make it look not so bad. A perfect example of this is going on right now with Fulton County prosecutor Fani Willis.
"Willis, on the stand late in the hearing, raged furiously about what she claimed were "lies" about her." She is accusing everybody of going against her of racism.
Thank you!

Annoying? Not at all. It is a privilege and a joy to be able to help you to a better understanding of God and His Truth.
No apology needed.
Thanks guys! Are you sure I haven't blasphemed in any way in this thread? I only ask these questions out of ignorance and without any ill-intent.

Thank you!

Thanks guys! Are you sure I haven't blasphemed in any way in this thread? I only ask these questions out of ignorance and without any ill-intent.
Please ask any questions that you have.

As a Chef, I tell my cooks there are no questions to dumb to ask, if you need to know how to boil water, ask.

We are here for one another.

Grace and peace to you.

No need to walk on eggshells around me - or God. Ask your questions, whatever they may be. It's likely I had the very same questions at one time, myself.

Back