Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is "the" gospel?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
duval said:
Does that faith include for example repentance? Repentance is not mentioned in your answer. If repentance is included, its an inclusive faith. To which do you refer?

Repentance is changing one's mind and emotions...that is what believing is.
Two sides of the same coin.

If I see a 10 story drop-off...I change direction and don't take that route because I believe I'll fall those 10 stories to my death.

duval said:
So, then, you are saying that faith or belief includes repentance. Is it inclusive of anything else?

It certainly includes many things when Christ begins His work in us.
It only begins when He circumcises our heart and we become new creatures.

Are you looking for an outworking of faith? That would be quite a list.

I don't know what you when you say they begin when Christ begins His work in us. Just when does Christ begin that work?

Perhaps I should ask, when do we become new creatures since you say that is when He begins His work in us. When do we become new creatures?

duval said:
Perhaps I should ask, when do we become new creatures since you say that is when He begins His work in us. When do we become new creatures?

Is this a joke or something? You act like I'm speaking of some new and strange doctrine. Then again, I seem to be getting that response in every thread...have I crossed over into the Twilight Zone and don't know it yet?

AVBunyan said:
OK folks - here is your chance.

Please define what is "the" gospel that we are to preach today?

i.e. What is the message you deliver when you witness?

What do you tell people in order for them to be saved?

What are they to "do" or believe?

What is your message folks?

Will be waiting. :wave

Thanks

God bless

The gospel is very simple. Faith, trust, confidence and hope in the work of God on the cross that saves sinful mankind. Sad to say, most think it is a social, moral, gospel that only saves those that can overcome the evil of man's sinful flesh nature by choice.

I am a sinner, saved by the power and grace of God. In the flesh I am sinful, however my spirit has been placed in Christ by the power of God's work on the cross. All the glory goes to Jesus (God).

AVBunyan said:
I won't drag this out for it appears few will respond and I thank those 2 who did.

The gospel as defined by Paul is:

1 Cor 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Cor 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1 Cor 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1 Cor 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

It is amazing how this OSAS gets so confusing for "lose-its" and it appears that many or most "lose-its" don' even know the gospel message for this age!!! Sad - pitiful - but par for the course.

You folks tell me how I can lose it and but can't even tell folks how to get it!

I give up here - not worth the time and effort.
"lose-its" Now I have to admit, that's great, I never heard it before :) :thumb .

Imagine: A debate between the. OSAS believers and the loose it's!

Awesome!

The perseverance of the saints or, the no perseverance of the saints. :clap

Tabasco Breath said:
It's clear what Paul taught as the Gospel, but was it the same as what Jesus said the Gospel was?

What did Jesus consider the Gospel?

Hmmm...I would think it would be this.
John 5:24 said:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

glorydaz said:
Tabasco Breath said:
It's clear what Paul taught as the Gospel, but was it the same as what Jesus said the Gospel was?

[quote="John 5:24":20bdrufa]Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
[/quote:20bdrufa]
Below is what is understood as the first words uttered by Jesus in the very first "Gospel" written:

Mark 15:"..and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

The "good news" was long awaited tradition of the returning kingdom was at hand. That is what the traditions held, that is what John the Baptist preached, that is what Jesus preached, that is what to an extent what Paul preached...so repent.

That was the "Good news".

Tabasco Breath said:
glorydaz said:
[quote="Tabasco Breath":28ikmiya]It's clear what Paul taught as the Gospel, but was it the same as what Jesus said the Gospel was?

[quote="John 5:24":28ikmiya]Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
[/quote:28ikmiya]
Below is what is understood as the first words uttered by Jesus in the very first "Gospel" written:

Mark 15:"..and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

The "good news" was long awaited tradition of the returning kingdom was at hand. That is what the traditions held, that is what John the Baptist preached, that is what Jesus preached, that is what to an extent what Paul preached...so repent.

That was the "Good news".[/quote:28ikmiya]

Well, it certainly is good news to me. :)

Many today have limited the Gospel of Jesus Christ to just those portions of Holy writ that specifically says the gospel i.e 1 cor 15:

1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Gal 3:

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed

but that is a mistake, yes those portions are indeed Gospel Truth, but they are not exclusively all that the gospel teaches. The Gospel of Jesus Christ or the Kingdom, is also the doctrinal Truths that we find in books of the bible like romans [chpt 1-11] and Ephesians, the first three chapters, for these are just as much as the gospel of Jesus Christ as 1 cor 15:1-4.

The mistake that many have made is that, they believe those doctrinal truths in those chapters were something new to the recipients, but they were not, for they were actually having the Gospel truths they had heard and received before, reiterated, or rehearsed again.

Thos letters were to strengthen and confirm them in what Gospel Truth they had previously heard.

Acts 14:

21And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,

22Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 18:32

And after he had spent some time there, he departed, and went over all the country of Galatia and Phrygia in order, strengthening all the disciples.

And so that was the reason for many of the letters or epistles, such as eph.

Lets look at eph 1 and see some of the Gospel Truth that Paul preached.

eph 1:

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love

The Gospel Paul preached to Ephesus proclaimed : That the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, has chosen a people for Himself.

And secondly, that He chose them before the foundation of the world was laid.

next, That He chose them that they should be Holy and without blame before Him in Love.

Next:

5Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, [When He chose us in Him]according to the good pleasure of his will,

6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

In these few verses, Paul rehearses His Gospel and states:

Election or being chosen in Christ

The early date of this choice

The goal or purpose of this choice, to be holy and without blame before Him in Love.

The predestination of them chosen, and what they had been predestined to,

And that they had been made accepted to God, in the Beloved.

Now is not that good news ?

Back