Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

what is the true name of Jesus?

Good call Pard. There is also the specualtion about the name of Jehova, but in hebrew it is spelled with the first letter "I"

Neo said:
Good call Pard. There is also the specualtion about the name of Jehova, but in hebrew it is spelled with the first letter "I"

Jehova is the name once thought to belong to our Lord, Elohim. His true name is not Jehova, but Yahweh. There is more than enough case studies to support this fact, so I do not see the need to link to one of them.

Of course, those uncomfortable with the name "Yahweh" are welcomed to use YHWH. And those who do not understand the true meaning of the 2nd commandment are more than welcome to use all other names for our most blessed Creator. I would only ever bring question to someone who uses the name "LORD", for it is truly a scoff of His glorious name.

Hebrew doesn't traditionally have any vowels. A system ov vowel points (groups of dots and dashes written beneath, above or next to the text) were developed in the 9th and 10th centuries AD to help people pronounce it, but by that time there was already doubt about how to pronounce some words and names, including those of Jesus and God. Translaters and copyists added vowel points to these names according to what they thought to be the correct pronunciation. There is therefore no way of knowing for sure what the original pronunciation was. All we can do is look at the consenants and make an educated guess at what the vowels should be. The problem with that is that the consenants in Jesus name are not always the same. The following names all appear in the Old Testament and are translated in English Bibles as either Jesus or Joshua.

220px-Yeshua_hebreo.jpg

Depending on what vowel points people add, those names could be transliterated in various ways, but the most likely imho are Yehoshua (top or middle) or Yeshua (bottom). Other possibilities exist, such as Yashuah, Yahushua or Yehosha, but the problem with is that that doesn't sound very Hebrew. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the language. It's kinda like when you see a word that starts with nk or ng. You know that that's not originally an English word. Yeshua and Yehoshua are both about equally likely imo.

I prefere the long form (Yehoshua) and use that in my prayers. But when I'm with a group of people that use the short form (Yeshua), I'll use that. Most people I know calle Him by His Hellenized name - "Jesus" - and when I'm with them I'll use that. This is not something that should divide us or that we should argue about.

Theo.,

My thinking with the name of Jesus (either starting with "yeh" or "yah") is that that one ought to use the corresponding name for Elohim (either "yah" or "yeh").

And you are most right. There is no need to be divided because of the name we use, for it matters not in such things as salvation. Elohim knows when He is called, no matter what name He is given! I enjoy to sprinkle His many Hebrew names around because I find they so awesomely glorify Him!

The only time I ever become bothered, when it comes tot he names of God, is when "LORD" is used, for this is not good in His eyes. It is masking the name He so lovingly gave to us. I do not mine "Lord" when used as a title, but when used as the English tetagramation form (i.e. "LORD") I often will try to correct people. It only can be distinguished when typing, so it does not come up very often.

you guys sound pretty educated in the subject of theology so I will throw this at you.

I am part of a discussion group on theology. We have a very diverse group: atheist, traditionalist, apologist, and agnostic. I recently brought up this point and it has been the subject of a lot of debate.

To be Christian is to be inheritly Jewish, No? Jesus was described by the principles in Isiah to be the Jewish messiah and followed the Judaic messianic guidelines. He preached about the god of Israel, in temples and synogues, and was a jewish man. Do you find this statement to be true or do you think that Christianity transcends the jewish faith in some way?

Neo said:
To be Christian is to be inheritly Jewish, No? Jesus was described by the principles in Isiah to be the Jewish messiah and followed the Judaic messianic guidelines. He preached about the god of Israel, in temples and synogues, and was a jewish man. Do you find this statement to be true or do you think that Christianity transcends the jewish faith in some way?

Without getting into to much complication, technical and starting an HUGE debate...

Christianity is supposed to be the same as Judaism, but it is not. The reason is that the Jews have denied Jesus as the Messiah and because they have denied Him it has forced the Messianic Jews and Gentiles to gradually move away and this is why there are two separate religions.

What Jesus did was two-fold. First He came and spread the access to Heaven to ALL human beings, and not just Jews. This is HUGE, because before this Heaven was very exclusive and now, though still hard to get into, it can be accessed by anyone who does what is asked of them.

The other thing Jesus did was that He came as a fulfillment of the Law. This means that when He died He opened a new route to Heaven, for ALL people, that runs in parallel to the previous route. The previous route was the one of extensive Law. This is much the reason the Jews did not wish to come to Jesus, initially. They feared change and did not like the idea of the new route to Heaven.

When I say Law I mean I do not mean the moral Law (10 commandments) but the Laws that guided everything for the Jews (i.e. Kosher, wearing those hats and prayer shawls and beads and braids, cutting hair, distance between a house and a bathroom, ect. ect.).

So although Christianity is the "child" of Judaism it is not to be "inherently" Jewish.

That is probably the most eloquently I have heard that question answered. Very well put, but would you also agree that it would be considered a denomination of Judaism? This is the point that I was trying to make. Much as Mormons are a denomination of Christianity where they added to the bible by who they believed was a prophet in John Smith didn't Christianity do the same? They are basically making the same claim. Christians believe that Jesus was the messiah whereas Jews do not. It is along the same parallels. Your thoughts?

Neo said:
That is probably the most eloquently I have heard that question answered. Very well put, but would you also agree that it would be considered a denomination of Judaism? This is the point that I was trying to make. Much as Mormons are a denomination of Christianity where they added to the bible by who they believed was a prophet in John Smith didn't Christianity do the same? They are basically making the same claim. Christians believe that Jesus was the messiah whereas Jews do not. It is along the same parallels. Your thoughts?

More like a tree, you see.

Judaism is the start of the tree and it has its roots in guys like Adam, Cain, Moses, and Abraham. The tree splits once in a while, and the trunk is the truth, while the limbs are people who corrupt or refuse the truth. The early branches were things like the Maccabees and Jacobites and such, ya? And now we get to the part of the trunk where Jesus comes along and it splits again. The trunk keeps going on upwards and today we call that trunk Christianity. Now the people who did not want to change and did not want to welcome gentiles into their ranks are the modern day Jews and even that limb has split some since the first splitting at the time of Jesus.

Make sense? :confused

I do at times call Jesus, by his Hebrew name, it is just something that I do, and I have been doing it for years. His name certainly was not Jesus, when He walked the earth. And for those who want to call Him by His Hebrew name, by all means do so, because it was His name.

You know what gets me is this. Why do people call Him a name that was not given to Him at earthly birth, by His father God ? I have even heard people say if you call Him Yeshua or how ever your pronunciation is, you are showing off. Or people will tell you that it does not matter, Jesus knows who you are referring to. My thing is, when you find out that His name was not Jesus, but Yeshua or Yahushua, why do people insist on calling Him Jesus. I don't care what people tell me, I tell them, that Jesus is not His real name. Same thing goes for Yahweh.

Lewis W said:
You know what gets me is this. Why do people call Him a name that was not given to Him at earthly birth, by His father God ?

I think it originally had to do with the fact that only female names ended in vowels in Greek, so they added an s to the end to make it a male name. Greek doesn't have the shin (sh) sound, so it was replaced by the closest sound they did have - s. The Greek name, therefore, becomes Iesus (there was no J, so it started with an I). Later, the I became a J, but was, in most languages, still pronounced the same. It is only in English that the J sound is considerably different. In most other European languages, it is pronounced like the Y in "yes".

Theofilus said:
Lewis W said:
You know what gets me is this. Why do people call Him a name that was not given to Him at earthly birth, by His father God ?

I think it originally had to do with the fact that only female names ended in vowels in Greek, so they added an s to the end to make it a male name. Greek doesn't have the shin (sh) sound, so it was replaced by the closest sound they did have - s. The Greek name, therefore, becomes Iesus (there was no J, so it started with an I). Later, the I became a J, but was, in most languages, still pronounced the same. It is only in English that the J sound is considerably different. In most other European languages, it is pronounced like the Y in "yes".
Hmmmm :chin well, I don't know, I'll get back to ya.

Lewis W said:
Theofilus said:
[quote="Lewis W":2k3nkw2o]You know what gets me is this. Why do people call Him a name that was not given to Him at earthly birth, by His father God ?

Hmmmm :chin well, I don't know, I'll get back to ya.[/quote:2k3nkw2o]

Oh... I forgot to mention that all this happened way before Jesus was born. In the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament, Moses' successor, Joshua is called "Iesous".

Back