Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] What is TIME?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
time is how we chop up one big moment into an infinite amount of measurable moments
Greetings and welcome, Mr. Oats.

You and some of the "great minds" at MIT seem to agree:

News in Brief

New 'Time' To Keep Everything From Happening At Once
April 19, 2000 | ISSUE 36•14
· Scientists Discover Third Cindy Crawford Facial Expression
CAMBRIDGE, MA–On what is now known as "Monday," a team of MIT scientists unveiled "time," a revolutionary new event-sequencing protocol which organizes phenomena along a four-dimensional axis, preventing everything from taking place at once. "No longer will the extinction of the dinosaurs, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and the Earth-Xabraxiq Pod Wars all collapse into a single point," theoretical physicist Dr. Lawrence Chang said. "With time, we can now contextualize each of the universe's infinite number of occurrences in its own spatial-temporal plane, creating order where there once was chaos." Added Dr. Erno Toffel: "Using time, one event can be positioned chronologically so as to be the cause of another. For example, a man's death may result in a gun being fired at him. Or the other way around. We're still working out some of the kinks."

As far as the now near famous Einstien quote, "Time is what prevents everything from happening at once," some attribute it to John Wheeler (1911-2008), and I've also heard that the first to say it was a science fiction author, Ray somebody or other, from the early 1900's and have seen it attributed as a Woody Allen quote, "Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once." Who knows? :confused: Maybe we'll just keep it as our little secret.

Your link doesn't work (nothing new with THIS board's software), but this:

New evidence is suggesting that time is slowly disappearing from our universe, and will one day vanish completely.

... sounds like total kookism. :screwloose

Sorry and thanks

put the http & and www in front:
dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/01/scientist-says.html

Though radical and in many way unprecedented, these ideas are not without support. Gary Gibbons, a cosmologist at Cambridge University, say the concept has merit. "We believe that time emerged during the Big Bang, and if time can emerge, it can also disappear - that's just the reverse effect."

It reads like 'kooky' than I thought it would.

But I still say "nah" to it. I've posted it elsewhere to get other's input, but my view is still that they are "out there" in their theory.

time is how we chop up one big moment into an infinite amount of measurable moments
i believe thats called planks constant.
Plancks constant defines the quanty and it may appear to be infinitely small but that's not the case. It is very small, yes. Can time be split into an infinite number of discrete "chunks"? Actually no.

The smallest possible unit of time is known as "Planck's time"
It is 5.4 x 10^-44 seconds. If we tried to divide that quantity in half -- we could, mathematicaly BUT it would no longer have any meaning that relates to reality.

Planck's time is the time it takes for light to travel Planck's length. Actions across lengths less than this boundary have no meaning because distance/relativity stop and quantum mechanics take over at Planck's length. The smallest length (Planck's length) divided by the fastest speed (the speed of light), is the time it takes for the fastest thing to travel the shortest distance. Thus, times shorter than Planck's time do not make sense.

Wiki: Planck Time
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_time

Last edited by a moderator:
The title is the question: What is TIME?
<thank you for your thoughtful replies>

i didnt get the chance to read all replies.

here's what i think of time, and it's nice to see this question now because e few days ago i was really busy with trying to find a connection between 60 and 60 and 24(or 2 times 12) and 30 or so and 12 months and where it all comes from (7 i think i know)

i do believe there is a relation with the sun and moon and all and that there is a connection in why which number or so is used..
for as far as time as it's shown earthly.

if u ask me simply what times is..

i'd say it is 1 day is the turning of the world/earth.
ca 365 is the amount of turns the earth does in one turn around the sun.
from there on or from this on all time is simple time as simple as it can be, concretaly, :)

what other time is there, and what about timeless if i imagine to much..
i think time is an empty frase when it comes to the omni/universe, or at least when it/i/ or somebody goes beyong the normal' time as in years and days coz that's the only thing you can really aply time to as in a counting number/cifer or amount.
and sure there is even greater time then just that from our sun(as in a calander based upon another measure..)

but i just looked at the last post (sneakely), like i thought..

i allready said a bit, i believe there is timelesness with the ghost/mind/spirit, apart from it's material intension but another intension. then time would become a word with different meaning as in you got a begin and an end in time, estimated.

but really progress and such things would then come to mind as "change ot time"'; like you got the stone age and dark age and so. then i dont mean the stance of the stars.. but time as in.

dont know if I can say anymore about it.

E=mc squared ok someting like that.

that's nice whats mentioned; what i just red(last few posts).

i was about to lay down the issue that eventhough a star or the sun might be lightyears away, as is stated by science, right? i disagree with it in saying that when contact comes as in the arrival of the light.

i was thinking is there another form of light or something that travels direct(like radiotion or so).

i be honest, but atst i dont want to go on ponderring about my psy'.
oh never mind i should be doing.. but do you think there is other direct contact possible without the theory of lightspeed? still talking about time here...

Plancks constant defines the quanty and it may appear to be infinitely small but that's not the case. It is very small, yes. Can time be split into an infinite number of discrete "chunks"? Actually no.

The smallest possible unit of time is known as "Planck's time"
It is 5.4 x 10^-44 seconds. If we tried to divide that quantity in half -- we could, mathematicaly BUT it would no longer have any meaning that relates to reality.

Planck's time is the time it takes for light to travel Planck's length. Actions across lengths less than this boundary have no meaning because distance/relativity stop and quantum mechanics take over at Planck's length. The smallest length (Planck's length) divided by the fastest speed (the speed of light), is the time it takes for the fastest thing to travel the shortest distance. Thus, times shorter than Planck's time do not make sense.

Wiki: Planck Time
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_time
that is what i meant to post. thanks.

The title is the question: What is TIME?
<thank you for your thoughtful replies>

Defined by God for good order. Gen 1v14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Defined by God for good order. Gen 1v14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
That's probably the best definition I could hope for.

"Defined by God for good order."

Thanks.

Back