Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What kind of Bible do you use?"

• Thread starter Nocturnal_Principal_X
  • Start date

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
N

Nocturnal_Principal_X

God's Child asked, "What kind of Bible do you use?" in the Teens forums and I thought I would ask in the College Forum.

So tell me what do you use?

I use the New American Standard Bible. I used use the New International Version but found NASB is much more literal in its translation.

More specifically I use NASB Life Application Study Bible. It is a wonderful Study Bible with a lot of great charts, maps, profiles of Bible people and notes on verses.

I try to vary my versions. Right now I've got a NRSV, a NKJV, a NIV, an AMP, a KJV and a NASB all around my desk. For study and Quiet time I use my NASB. It's a Zondervan study NASB. When a moderized printing of the Geneva come, I'm going to use that.

Right now I'm using NRSV for my daily readings. I do go to other versions sometimes if I don't quite understand what is trying to be said. I have heard from lots of people that the NASB is very accurate, easy to read, and literal (as noted before). I want to get one for myself and start using it as my so to speak "default" bible. I would love to have a copy of many translations though. I think the best way to truely understand God's message, short of learning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, is to read it in many different translations.

How do you guys feel about the NLT, just picked one up yesterday. 8-) I think it's a little loose, but It's still the word of God.

I use the Holman Christian Standard. I know some people do not like this one, but I find the translation to be great for today. I also enjoy reading the version because it is not taking away from the meaning of the Word. The most important part is whether the version follows the original true meaning. A translation that is not genuine is one that I do not support. I also enjoy reading the NKJ and NASB. I have not looked at the NLT very extensively so I cant really say how I feel on it.

Ah! The HCS. I knew there was a version I wanted to get back in Jersey. I'm sure I'll find one down here. That's not a bad translation. Has anyone bought a TNIV yet?

I can't say I've looked at NLT much, so I can't really tell you my thoughts on it heh. it's a paraphrase though, isn't it?

The NLT would be the king of paraphrase Bibles. I just rotate my bibles to get used to reading from diferent versions. My personal favorite is still the NASB. It's just the most literal translation.

Sorry Nikki. Being that I'm a Christianity major, I can never have enough translations. Each bible is unique and has differences in their references and study helps. Right now I have ten different bibles floating around my dorm room right now, and three times as many translations on my computer. I just love to read from different Bibles. 8-)

So what's an easy one to understand? I thought the NIV was a LOT easier to understand than the KJV. But if there's an even easier one, I'd love to know about it! Also, many people debate about using one other than the KJV, but I personally see no harm as long as you have a KJV to go to when in doubt.

Some people would get on my case for this, but there is a reason I bought a New Living Translation. Many people find it to be very readable and easy to grasp. The reason most people don't like the NLT is because it's a literal thought for thought translation, rather than a literal word for word translation.

Here's John 3:16 from the NLT and then the KJV

John 3:16 "for God so loved the world that he gave his only son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."[NLT]

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."[KJV]

As I said, the NLT tries to make the Bible more readable for those of us don't always follow old english.

NLT is good for reading and getting basic concepts. But the problems lie in word studies. I have had a very bad experience confronting a speaker at a conference about his "word studies" that didn't agree with any other translation.

I see NLT just like I do the Message bible, good for kids and people who have a hard time understanding some of the language or just want something that is easy to read. Just don't do in depth theological study with it...please.

I'm in agreement to an extent. I feel the NLT is the Best paraphrase Bible by far. It's not a KJV or an NASB, but it has it's merit. The Message Bible is pretty scetchy. There are some places where we know it has intentionally added a word here and there to change meaning.

My favorite and most used Bible is an NASB zondervan study bible.

I've got numerous other translations for reference, but for actually study I normally limit it to the NASB and various KJV's.

Mac0486 said:
Right now I'm using NRSV for my daily readings. I do go to other versions sometimes if I don't quite understand what is trying to be said. I have heard from lots of people that the NASB is very accurate, easy to read, and literal (as noted before). I want to get one for myself and start using it as my so to speak "default" bible. I would love to have a copy of many translations though. I think the best way to truely understand God's message, short of learning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, is to read it in many different translations.

You should give ESV a try. People I highly respect like RC Sproul, JI Packer, John Piper, and others highly recommend it. It is touted as a "readable" NASB. It's a literal translation like NASB. I like NASB, but just got an English Standard Version. It's a fairly recent version, but it is pretty good, I'm really liking it so far. http://www.esv.org/

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back