Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What kind of place is hell?

E

evechot

:crazyeyes:

Millions of persons have taught by their religions that hell is a place where people are tormented. No wonder that people who have been taught this often say that if hell is such a bad place they do not want to talk about it.
This raises the question: Did Almighty God create such a place of torment?
Think about this. If the ideas of roasting people in fire ? Would a loving God really torment people forever?
Webster's Dictionary says that the English word "hell" is equal to the Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word Hades.
The question is; What kind of place is Sheol, and Hades? The fact that the King James Version translates the one Hebrew word Shoel three different ways shows that hell, grave and pit mean one and the same thing. So if hell means the common grave of mankind, it could not at the same time mean a place of fiery torment. Well, then do Shoel and Hades mean the "Grave, or do they mean a place of Torment??????

This is my take.....

I think the "fires" of hell are the unquenchable thirst for Love. These fires would be horrible it would be a place and a state of supreme un-love...selfishness and hate would permeate this place.....myshort synopsis

I think that people burning in a literal lake of fire is a ludicrous idea; our loving Lord wouldn't want to make people suffer like that forever. I believe that the soul may suffer in a literal fire for a while, or it might not; I'm not sure, but then I think that the eternal torment is being without God and Christ.

kenan said:
I think that people burning in a literal lake of fire is a ludicrous idea; our loving Lord wouldn't want to make people suffer like that forever. I believe that the soul may suffer in a literal fire for a while, or it might not; I'm not sure, but then I think that the eternal torment is being without God and Christ.

"wouldn't want to make people suffer like that forever"

I believe it's our choice. If we choose to live without God then without God we will be after death. If we feel He wouldn't "make" us do something then think of it like He won't make us be with Him when we have choosen not to be. Many times God has left those who were against Him to their own devices to suffer the consequences without Him. In that manner He judged them.

"but then I think that the eternal torment is being without God and Christ"

I agree. What it'll be like without God I don't know but I do know it won't be good.

greetings

right

enough of the opinion about the Bible lets see what the Bible actualy says as there is some mudled thought here:

Jesus said in Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
that Is God who made the world the flesh and the Devil - check out Job

in luke ch 19
19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[c] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

these are 2 of the 19 NT quotes in Bible gate way about Hell

Jesus knew what hell was like - He went there for me when He died on the cross and has the keys
Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.( Hell in greek )

in the old testiment there are 63 referances to sheol - the hebrew word for Hell both by way of warnings and rebukes and comands.

Hell is the oposit of heaven - Gods friends go to stay in His house when they die , He does not have any one who does not like Him to stay ( just as you would not ) people have chration as a witness to God - as it is written - the heavens declare the Glory of God the firmaments shewth His handi work - ask the animals witch of them does not know that the Lord God has done this - also look in Job and psalm 136, 119

people are leaft with out excuse even those who have never heard know there is a God and have believed in Him through chreation
dza devlefa
a-R

right

enough of the opinion about the Bible lets see what the Bible actualy says as there is some mudled thought here:

Jesus said in Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
that Is God who made the world the flesh and the Devil - check out Job

in luke ch 19
19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[c] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

these are 2 of the 19 NT quotes in Bible gate way about Hell

Jesus knew what hell was like - He went there for me when He died on the cross and has the keys
Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.( Hell in greek )

in the old testiment there are 63 referances to sheol - the hebrew word for Hell both by way of warnings and rebukes and comands.

Hell is the oposit of heaven - Gods friends go to stay in His house when they die , He does not have any one who does not like Him to stay ( just as you would not ) people have chration as a witness to God - as it is written - the heavens declare the Glory of God the firmaments shewth His handi work - ask the animals witch of them does not know that the Lord God has done this - also look in Job and psalm 136, 119

people are leaft with out excuse even those who have never heard know there is a God and have believed in Him through chreation

Nonsense

These ideas have been proven to be false interpretations of the scriptures.

Do some research in future. Do not use man's traditions as a way of explaining things.

Radlad72 said:
Do some research in future. Do not use man's traditions as a way of explaining things.
lol.....are you serious? all you've is thrown bible verses out on the screen and not understanding what they are actually saying.... sounds like you need to stop making your own man made traditions

biblecatholic said:
Radlad72 said:
lol.....are you serious? all you've is thrown bible verses out on the screen and not understanding what they are actually saying.... sounds like you need to stop making your own man made traditions

if you are talking about radlad72 using man made traditions, he was quoting anna-rose who posted all those bible verses

kenan said:
if you are talking about radlad72 using man made traditions, he was quoting anna-rose who posted all those bible verses

I know. I was just stating that he was doing exactly what he was accusing another of....he is following man made traditions but since they're his personal traditions he doesn't see it.

Hell is one of those issues that is so very hard for me. Everything in me screams against it but I cannot get past the fact that the Bible speaks of such a thing. I know that if there is a literal lake of fire, I will say amen to it as my God is perfect and holy and so are His judgments.

I know there are other views of the text and the idea of hell, and they are worth looking into, but let's not forget that we have sinned against a infinately holy and perfect God.

We have free will right? Then it is our choice to be with GOD or with out him. Hell is separation from GOD forever, no chance of salvation. There are some that would much rather be without GOD, I cant see why, but that's the case so GOD gives us the choice, eternal life with him or without.

God doesn't "send" people to hell. They choose to go. Love, even the love of God demands a choice.
The Bible teaches that the way to heaven is the "straight and narrow path". Why would we then be surprised that so few choose to walk it?
So if we are not walking the narrow way, we are on the broad way (path) to hell. :sad

evechot said:
:crazyeyes:

Millions of persons have taught by their religions that hell is a place where people are tormented. No wonder that people who have been taught this often say that if hell is such a bad place they do not want to talk about it.
This raises the question: Did Almighty God create such a place of torment?
Think about this. If the ideas of roasting people in fire ? Would a loving God really torment people forever?
Webster's Dictionary says that the English word "hell" is equal to the Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word Hades.
The question is; What kind of place is Sheol, and Hades? The fact that the King James Version translates the one Hebrew word Shoel three different ways shows that hell, grave and pit mean one and the same thing. So if hell means the common grave of mankind, it could not at the same time mean a place of fiery torment. Well, then do Shoel and Hades mean the "Grave, or do they mean a place of Torment??????

hell as in scripture dictates is the "lake of fire"

where satan, rebellious angels and the fate of all other enemies of christ will be sealed.

Archetype said:
... hell as in scripture dictates is the "lake of fire"

where satan, rebellious angels and the fate of all other enemies of christ will be sealed.
Hi Archtype,
I couldn't help but think of this verse when I read your post:

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

vic C. said:
Archetype said:
... hell as in scripture dictates is the "lake of fire"

Hi Archtype,
I couldn't help but think of this verse when I read your post:

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

i have something different, in the nab it has death and hades. which is the greek god of the netherworld and keeper of the dead. why hell be thrown in hell? that doesnt make any sense.

if you read revelations 20:10, satan willbe thrown in the ool of fire and sulphur.

and if you read in 1 corinthians 7: 9, paul mentions it is better for the unmarried men who cannot control themselves to get married else be set on fire.

go back to matthew 5:30, christ tells you to amputate your body member, for it is better to enter the kingdom of heaven maimed then to be thrown in fiery gehenna.

read matthew 13:42. christ sends his angels to collect the wicked and will throw them into the furnace.

so thats 4, 5 if you will, instances referring to a body of fire-the ultimate resting place of the wicked. what else could the destination of hell be, then?

vic C. said:
Yes, I have translations that say hades also. 8-) I'm actually glad you made that distinction.

thanks. hell definitely is the lake of fire. eternal torment for enemies of the lord.

waitinontheLamb said:
Hell is one of those issues that is so very hard for me. Everything in me screams against it but I cannot get past the fact that the Bible speaks of such a thing. I know that if there is a literal lake of fire, I will say amen to it as my God is perfect and holy and so are His judgments.

I know there are other views of the text and the idea of hell, and they are worth looking into, but let's not forget that we have sinned against a infinately holy and perfect God.

waitinonthelamb, you needn't be so 'tormented'. Eternal torment is a false doctrine that has come about by midieval scare tactics and a gross misinterpretation (and complete ignorance) on the language the Bible uses.

The Bible throughout the entirety of scripture speak of the absolute and utter destruction of God's enemies, not the continual immortal torture of them. Eternal torment hinges on this one concept:

that the wicked man has immortality to be tormented for eternity

The bible CLEARLY shows that immortality and eternal life in ANY form is a gift to the righteous and not to the wicked. If the wicked do not have immortality, then they cannot be tormented for eternity. (how exactly do you 'torment' an 'immortal soul' with fire??)

The language used in Mark 9:45 and Revelation 14:10-11 is used elsewhere in the bible (in fact, John and Mark drew specifically from this language) to denote 'annihilation'. The descriptive terms can be explained and according to the Greek matched with the Hebrew equivalent, do NOT signify 'eternal endless punishing'.

Take a look at all of Psalm 37:10,20,28,38, Isaiah 34:10-11, Jeremiah 17:27, Isaiah 66:22-24 1 Samuel 1:11,21 to see that terms like 'forever and ever', 'worm dieth not', 'consuming into smoke' 'day and night' and 'unquenchable fire' are used to denote utter destruction', 'temporal existence' and 'annihilation'.

Why? because the enemies of God are NOT given eternal life and the wages of sin is death

Never mind the dozens and dozens of blatant texts that talk about the complete death of God's enemies at the 'day of the Lord'.

waitinontheLamb said:
Well, it would be nice if your right. Need to see more on it though.

My friend, I haven't even scratched the surface of logic and exegesis here on this thread that show the fallacy of the erroneous doctrine of eternal torment. If you want to PM me with an e-mail address, I can send you a paper I have created on the subject and more (the fallacy of the immortality of the soul on which eternal torment hangs for one thing). Let me know.

First take a look at those OT texts I gave up above side by side with the NT texts...I think you will be very surprised that the NT isn't saying what everybody thinks it says. When we let the bible and the original language interpret itself instead of preconceived notions and gratuitous assumptions, we can come to a better contextual conclusion on what ambiguous and seemingly confusing passages are saying.

Back