Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What OT verse is acts 2:39 refer to?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
“This promise”

Acts 2:39 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And what does it refer to?

Thanks

Could it be this ?
Joel 2
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

The time is now .

Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

Could it be this ?
Joel 2
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

The time is now .
Actually Peter said that this was fulfilled in their day. The time was then. The prophesy of Joel was being fulfilled before their eyes, which Jesus also quoted and said that day was then (today for him.) It was not a prediction of the future at that point. (It was for Joel but not for them.)

Actually Peter said that this was fulfilled in their day.
Not fulfilled, but just the start of the fulfillment .
The time was then. The prophesy of Joel was being fulfilled before their eyes, which Jesus also quoted and said that day was then (today for him.)
Time of fulfillment was just beginning .
It was not a prediction of the future at that point. (It was for Joel but not for them.)
Joel 2

The last few years of my life these manifestations spoken of in these two verses have been evident . I can only believe more is to come . I am living it . Dorothy Mae, it may be hard for you to believe what I say but the last few years have been eye opening for me .

Joel 2

The last few years of my life these manifestations spoken of in these two verses have been evident . I can only believe more is to come . I am living it . Dorothy Mae, it may be hard for you to believe what I say but the last few years have been eye opening for me .
Joel 2:28-29 is prophecy given and fulfilled on the day of Pentecost increasing as the generations grow.

Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Act 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Jesus said the prophesy of Joel is being fulfilled then.
18“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”

That day. The verse he left of was the judgment of God in Isaiah that Peter did put in.

But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:

17“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,

Peter said that what was happened fulfilled the prophet Joel. He did not say this is for 2000+ years from now but to today. I mean we can agree we have been in the last days since the day of Pentecost if you wish. On that we are likely right. We, as well as they, are in the latter days. Started at the day of Pentecost.

Joel 2

Well, I have lived in other parts of the world where those miracles have been the norm for believers for decades. I know that a lot of believers here in the west do not believe in miracles, that they were stopped when John wrote the last word of the Bible. But I have seen them and lived them and needed them and participated in them for a long time now. I KNOW God moves this way but one must know His ways.

Decades ago I saw the lame walk and heard of other miracles. I do not see any increase of this although some in the western world. I do see a great increase in lying signs and wonders that are more show than Spirit. But I do say I am very glad that this is happening in your world. It is not a sign of the "last days" because Peter already said in the scriptures that the last days started 2000+ years ago.

I mean we can agree we have been in the last days since the day of Pentecost if you wish. On that we are likely right. We, as well as they, are in the latter days. Started at the day of Pentecost.
Yes, we can agree there .
But I have seen them and lived them and needed them and participated in them for a long time now. I KNOW God moves this way but one must know His ways.
I am still learning about God's ways . :study We that have seen the power of God manifest up close and personal are truly blessed .

Yes, we can agree there .

I am still learning about God's ways . :study We that have seen the power of God manifest up close and personal are truly blessed .
It’s an extremely exciting pursuit although challenging. I’ll give you a personal example that is happening in my life.

I have a very manipulative sister-in-law who demands my husband and I take on duties next year that are beyond us. She subtly threatened us as well as other means although she has absolutely no power over us. Afterwards there was like a dark cloud over me and I was depressed. But as I started interacting here, the Lord spoke to me not to be troubled but trust Him. “Fret not because of evildoers.” Black cloud lifts. I know now that was spiritual.

This morning on the way to work I thought I’d write my kids how awful their aunt was. The Lord said, “if YOU do that, I WON’T act on your behalf.” One of the ways of God. If I allow myself to indulge in the pleasure of repeating an offense, He won’t give His special grace and power into the situation. I have a choice.

Someone suggested it refers to ez 36:25-27

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Refers to baptismal regeneration

Eph 2:5 & 2:5 “he quickend us”
Brought us to life by the spirit of life!
Jn 1:16 His fullness we have all received, grace for grace.
Jn 14:6 the way, the truth and the life.
Grace is the very life of God in our souls by the spirit of life through the sacrament of baptism, a sacrament is a sacred oath or promise of God!

Acts 2:38-39 the promise of baptismal grace!

Union with Christ the only mediator of the covenant and communion in the covenant with God and all His saints, therefore baptismal regeneration is the initiation into the covenant of grace by faith and baptism!

Mk 16:16 he who believes and is baptized shall be saved.

Thanks for you’re help here

hawkman, thanks for your prayers. It is not easy and I am trying to find a way through and please Him. Its not easy to deal with people through whom the Devil attacks you and they are completely blind and think quite well of themselves. Sigh! And decisions we have to make.

17“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
Hi Dorothy Mae

It's possible that the confusion is in the understanding of 'last days'. It's my understanding that the period that God's word refers to as the 'last days', began after Jesus ascended into heaven. The 'last days' run from Jesus' sacrifice and ascension to the 'last day' that will be the time of God's judgment. I'm not sure that the fact that the 'last days' have been running for some 2,000 years is really a relevant concern to the matter. The term 'last days' doesn't give any exact parameters as to the number of them or the end of them.

As I understand the Scriptures, they delineate a timeline whereby it begins with God creating this realm of existence. Then we go through 4,000 years of existence as God works in and through His people to bring about His way of salvation. Then, as Jesus said, it is finished. Now we live in the last days of God's plan for the existence of mankind. But whether there will be 10 or 1 million days in the period God is calling the 'last days', we have no clue. But as I understand it, we have been in the last days now for about 2,000 years.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Dorothy Mae

It's possible that the confusion is in the understanding of 'last days'. It's my understanding that the period that God's word refers to as the 'last days', began after Jesus ascended into heaven. The 'last days' run from Jesus' sacrifice and ascension to the 'last day' that will be the time of God's judgment. I'm not sure that the fact that the 'last days' have been running for some 2,000 years is really a relevant concern to the matter. The term 'last days' doesn't give any exact parameters as to the number of them or the end of them.

As I understand the Scriptures, they delineate a timeline whereby it begins with God creating this realm of existence. Then we go through 4,000 years of existence as God works in and through His people to bring about His way of salvation. Then, as Jesus said, it is finished. Now we live in the last days of God's plan for the existence of mankind. But whether there will be 10 or 1 million days in the period God is calling the 'last days', we have no clue. But as I understand it, we have been in the last days now for about 2,000 years.

God bless,
Ted
Perfect explanation and I agree. Well done. Yes the last days were started in the first century as Peter actually said. In Acts 2 he said that the fulfillment of the prophet Joel was occurring before them to include the fire that happened in the year 70AD. We are still in the last days and they will continue for some millennia until he has made his "enemies a footstool for his feet."

All sounds like the New Jerusalem to me. Totally arrived? Maybe not that day yet? But coming down? I see all the signs in human anatomy.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Perhaps it refers to Isaiah 57:19.

That's correct, Mark.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Peter's reference was to the promise of the Holy Spirit, and Isaiah 57:19 was quoted by Paul as well as being fulfilled in the context of talking about the outpouring.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. (Ephesians 2:14-18)

"Breaking down the middle wall of separation" was a reference to the Gentiles now having access to the Spirit of God as opposed to being forbidden into the Inner court of the Temple in Jerusalem. As a result of the crucifixion and the outpouring at Pentecost, the Gentiles now has access to the Spirit of God as well, and both Jew and Gentile had been made one through the Spirit of God.

Last edited:
That's correct, Mark.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Peter's reference was to the promise of the Holy Spirit, and Isaiah 57:19 was quoted by Paul as well as being fulfilled in the context of talking about the outpouring.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. (Ephesians 2:14-18)

"Breaking down the middle wall of separation" was a reference to the Gentiles now having access to the Spirit of God as opposed to being forbidden into the Inner court of the Temple in Jerusalem. As a result of the crucifixion and the outpouring at Pentecost, the Gentiles now has access to the Spirit of God as well, and both Jew and Gentile had been made one through the Spirit of God.
Let me say it in my words.
Check it out and make comments.

Thy rod and staff they comfort me. Very few Old Testament people comment on learning direction from being chastised. King David and Job stand out as examples.

The law tends toward do good receive good. Receive bad and wonder why (pray and wonder what is going on in life).

To say thy rod and staff they comfort me, that is rare in the Old Testament. The New Testament is: baptized in the Holy Spirit and Fire. Purifying fire. Remove problems with the spirit battle against flesh (receive the Spirit of God to direct us). This spirit does not go against the hidden meaning of the Law, but an examination of the storyline of the law may need to be examined. The ox not being muzzled while treading out the corn is compared to (pay the good preacher if there are funds available).
1 Corinthians 9:9

All things work together for good is a Jew and gentile call in the New Testament.

You once referred to free thinking. The knock at the door has to be opened. What door? Revelation 3:20
We need the 2nd Adam.

The seed is the Word of God. The ground is men’s hearts. PaRDeS just seems to help.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Perfect explanation and I agree. Well done. Yes the last days were started in the first century as Peter actually said. In Acts 2 he said that the fulfillment of the prophet Joel was occurring before them to include the fire that happened in the year 70AD. We are still in the last days and they will continue for some millennia until he has made his "enemies a footstool for his feet."
The timelines begin ?:
In the mind of God
Are explained by the Word of God
Are in the words of Prophets
Hidden in creation
Hidden in parables of Jesus
Explained to disciples by Jesus
Explained by Spirit led NT writers

Where the timeline starts and ends may be tough to decide/understand. Where we first begin to understand a concept, may later be found in the middle of many ways a concept is actually working out. It may take time and much study to see the larger picture.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

The timelines begin ?:
In the mind of God
Are explained by the Word of God
Are in the words of Prophets
Hidden in creation
Hidden in parables of Jesus
Explained to disciples by Jesus
Explained by Spirit led NT writers

Where the timeline starts and ends may be tough to decide/understand. Where we first begin to understand a concept, may later be found in the middle of many ways a concept is actually working out. It may take time and much study to see the larger picture.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Well, actually Peter said that the day of Pentecost was the beginning of the last days. It happened in time and space to people. It is not nebulous.

Back