Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What OT verse is acts 2:39 refer to?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Well, actually Peter said that the day of Pentecost was the beginning of the last days. It happened in time and space to people. It is not nebulous.
The law was taught from Moses to John the Baptist. From John the kingdom was taught.

John preached repentance and believe in the one who comes after me.

Jesus taught the crowds hidden truth, but took the disciples aside to teach them. Example Matthew chapters 5,6,7.

I actually include your 70AD temple destruction as a major indicator of leaving the old.

eddif

The law was taught from Moses to John the Baptist. From John the kingdom was taught.

John preached repentance and believe in the one who comes after me.

Jesus taught the crowds hidden truth, but took the disciples aside to teach them. Example Matthew chapters 5,6,7.

I actually include your 70AD temple destruction as a major indicator of leaving the old.

eddif
Yes, I agree, of course. It is just when we make "these are the last" days into "who knows when it began" we have departed from truth. Peter said that the day of Pentecost was in the last days. The transition from the Mosaic age to the age of Christ took comes decades to give all of the Jews the chance to join, but it did not start before the resurrection of Christ and did not start any later than 70AD. We are in the last days and have been for millennia.

“This promise”

Acts 2:39 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And what does it refer to?

Thanks
It is based on the tail end of Joel chap 2 Don. It is referring to those whom God calls for spiritual baptism, those born again sir.

Let me say it in my words.
Check it out and make comments.

Thy rod and staff they comfort me. Very few Old Testament people comment on learning direction from being chastised. King David and Job stand out as examples.

The law tends toward do good receive good. Receive bad and wonder why (pray and wonder what is going on in life).

To say thy rod and staff they comfort me, that is rare in the Old Testament. The New Testament is: baptized in the Holy Spirit and Fire. Purifying fire. Remove problems with the spirit battle against flesh (receive the Spirit of God to direct us). This spirit does not go against the hidden meaning of the Law, but an examination of the storyline of the law may need to be examined. The ox not being muzzled while treading out the corn is compared to (pay the good preacher if there are funds available).
1 Corinthians 9:9

All things work together for good is a Jew and gentile call in the New Testament.

You once referred to free thinking. The knock at the door has to be opened. What door? Revelation 3:20
We need the 2nd Adam.

The seed is the Word of God. The ground is men’s hearts. PaRDeS just seems to help.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Hey Eddif.

That's reapplying other principles to the passage, IMO. Not to say they are wrong in and of themselves, but simply that you may be over-extrapolating the passage at hand is all.
- H

Hey Eddif.

That's reapplying other principles to the passage, IMO. Not to say they are wrong in and of themselves, but simply that you may be over-extrapolating the passage at hand is all.
- H
A seed compared to the Word of God is an extreme leap from one context area to another

An Ox compared to a preacher is a leap.

Two women compared to two covenants is a leap.

Context can be used as a pretext to disallow a concept from being examined. LOL

A Jew once told me I should not tie an ox to a preacher. Later oh I see you are using PaRDeS. But you are confusing people so refrain from comments.

PaRDeS is more or less modern, but revelation does sometimes surface later in time. Jesus explaining parables just used one example, but his other parables went to several areas / levels of understanding.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Hey Eddif.

- H
Mark 4:39 kjv
39. And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?
The Bible is full of parables. References to high level spiritual truth but hidden in symbolism.

The dreams and visions have meaning. The mandate is to lock the meaning. Isaiah 6 could be for Isaiah, but more especially Jesus could use parables because of
Isaiah 6.

Then Jesus explained why parables/hidden wisdom. The prophecy needs to be unwound. Understanding needs to be revealed. Not just heard as a riddle, but explained how that is accomplished.

To hear about an ox in the OT is a parable. It is opened in the NT.

The New Jerusalem is in symbolism. Can we use the parable of the sower concept to open our understanding. Where is the river?
Where is the tree?

The day of Pentecost spoke in the returning Jews language they were raised in. Today we have a scientific language. Can we open the language we are raised in?

Covid brought out transcriptase and reverse transcriptase. mRNA . Should we not show the spiritual understanding?

I know I speak in riddles to some, but hopefully not to all.

If PaRDeS has flaws we should find them.
TULIP is examined. Why not the key to all parables.

You can be blunt if needed. Agape love is just that. Tough love applied where needed. Not to destroy but to open the hidden.

Of course I am a redneck from Mississippi and what could I possibly know? LOL

eddif

Jesus explaining parables just used one example, but his other parables went to several areas / levels of understanding.

I'm not of this camp, Eddif. I also disagree with the teaching that a passage of scripture can have many different meanings to many people. It MAY, but not because this was God's intent but because many are simply not well educated in scripture so they concoct all sorts of crazy notions that are foreign to Biblical teaching.

Now in your case, I again think you are simply engaging in free thinking, and when it comes to things like prophecy for instance I believe there can actually be such a thing as multiple applications; a literal/ historical application of a text, as well as several potential spiritual applications which are apt or suitable to greater and lesser degrees. The danger, however, is that if you play around and get too creative with things in seeking out new truths, new insights, and new applications, the literal interpretation gets lost in the fog somewhere and eventually nobody knows what the passage was actually teaching to begin with anymore.

Could be that we are simply approaching the issue with two different personalities, but I'm a stickler for exacting analysis of a text to establish not a but THEE most specific intended meaning. I would leave it to others to use re-applications of a passage if they like, but as a teacher I am responsible for accurately handling the word of truth, and therefore compelled to keep things as close to the cuff as possible.

I'm not of this camp, Eddif. I also disagree with the teaching that a passage of scripture can have many different meanings to many people. It MAY, but not because this was God's intent but because many are simply not well educated in scripture so they concoct all sorts of crazy notions that are foreign to Biblical teaching.

Now in your case, I again think you are simply engaging in free thinking, and when it comes to things like prophecy for instance I believe there can actually be such a thing as multiple applications; a literal/ historical application of a text, as well as several potential spiritual applications which are apt or suitable to greater and lesser degrees. The danger, however, is that if you play around and get too creative with things in seeking out new truths, new insights, and new applications, the literal interpretation gets lost in the fog somewhere and eventually nobody knows what the passage was actually teaching to begin with anymore.

Could be that we are simply approaching the issue with two different personalities, but I'm a stickler for exacting analysis of a text to establish not a but THEE most specific intended meaning. I would leave it to others to use re-applications of a passage if they like, but as a teacher I am responsible for accurately handling the word of truth, and therefore compelled to keep things as close to the cuff as possible.
And another prophet standing by has answered, and that is good.

1 Corinthians 14:29 kjv
29. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

I am not elevating us into high status, but the concept of keeping order.

He said to them and us look at the most specific example:
and basically said (apply this concept to other parables so you can understand.

So
The laborer is worthy of his wages:
Pay good preacher
Feed ox treading out corn
Pay tiller of ground
Pay harvest person

O concept many levels of context.

eddif

“This promise”

Acts 2:39 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And what does it refer to?

Thanks
2Peter 1:3 kjv
3. According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Creation speaks hidden mysteries
Gods interaction with pre law man speaks
The law spoke
Prophets spoke
Psalms spoke
Then
New Testament explained how he spoke
Even gentiles and donkeys spoke to correct.
Jesus spoke of the promise.

eddif

I have decided to try and clarify my approach to PaRDeS.

I am not suggesting this approach:
Wow there is some bait, I will charge headlong after this bait and swallow bait, hook, line, and sinker.)

I am not at all joining a camp. I found a nugget of truth in another camp. With care I am trying to extract the bait, but avoid the hook, line and sinker.

1 Corinthians 5:8 kjv
8. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
9- I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10. Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

Nott altogether!
Paul was trying to salvage someone who had fallen into sin. He was turned over to Satan,. He Repented. He was brought back jnto fellowship. Paul had to request the church let him back in.

I see a concept in a surrounding that may not be perfect. (Something in the law) but I am not suggesting go into the law fully to use the concept.

Take the pearl out of the oyster. Use the pearl as a thing of use, but leave behind where it came from. Try to help the other camp to see the total truth too.

Can we see where I am coming from?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Can we see where I am coming from?

Yes I can see where you are coming from, in principle. But how again does this relate to the passage at hand in this thread? And you'll have to forgive me but I'm actually pretty slow when it comes to embracing mystical interpretations, given how deeply rooted I tend to be in searching out the literal. And metaphoricals will also make me a bit uneasy.

Think of it in terms of I don't like eating worms, Lol.

Yes I can see where you are coming from, in principle. But how again does this relate to the passage at hand in this thread? And you'll have to forgive me but I'm actually pretty slow when it comes to embracing mystical interpretations, given how deeply rooted I tend to be in searching out the literal. And metaphoricals will also make me a bit uneasy.

In a mystical world view, anything can be made to mean anything ….IOW, nothing concrete is ever said.

Without worms we would be eating less.
They do a good job on the ground.
There sre two sides to most things.

Paul speaks of his flesh in a negative way.

Paul speaks of his mind in a different better way.

Finally at the last trump the permanent
eternal changes happen.

Under the law the sacrafice lamb was checked for blemishes by the priest.

Jesus was declared clean by a secular ruler.

Jesus was declared unclean by religious leaders.

The OT law looked at the physical.
Jesus looks at the hidden man of the heart.

The law declared gentiles unclean.
Peter found out through a vision God could declare unclean made clean.

We are in the world, but not of the world, by resisting Satan.

Come on last trump.

Deliver the widow and orphan; not visit them in their affliction.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

The promise is a conditional one; being of remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost; and the condition being repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.

In a mystical world view, anything can be made to mean anything ….IOW, nothing concrete is ever said.
Without the concrete it is hard to have these conversations.

One of my favorites is the two women are two covenants. That would probably take at least a 500 word essay to even get the subject started. It gets involved with the relationship with the husband. The temporal children ant generational offspring in the future. My mind draws too many blanks on the subject.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

A blessed Easter season to you all.

It is important to quote the preceding verse, which gives context to the promise St. Peter is referencing.

Acts 2:38-39 ---> "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

The Apostle is referencing the prophet Joel, who prophesied the coming of grace and the sanctification of the people, which included children and infants (those that "suck the breasts")...

Joel 2:16 ---> "Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet."

Joel goes on to say God will pour out His spirit on his people (cf. Joel 2:29). St. Peter states the promise of the sanctification for God's by Joel is now fulfilled by receiving the Holy Spirit in baptism, which includes children.

A blessed Easter season to you all.

It is important to quote the preceding verse, which gives context to the promise St. Peter is referencing.

Acts 2:38-39 ---> "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

The Apostle is referencing the prophet Joel, who prophesied the coming of grace and the sanctification of the people, which included children and infants (those that "suck the breasts")...

Joel 2:16 ---> "Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet."

Joel goes on to say God will pour out His spirit on his people (cf. Joel 2:29). St. Peter states the promise of the sanctification for God's by Joel is now fulfilled by receiving the Holy Spirit in baptism, which includes children.
Romans 4:11 kjv
11. And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
12. And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yetuncircumcised.

The Jews received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. The gentiles received the Holy Spirit when Peter went tothe house of Cornelius.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

That's correct, Mark.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Peter's reference was to the promise of the Holy Spirit, and Isaiah 57:19 was quoted by Paul as well as being fulfilled in the context of talking about the outpouring.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. (Ephesians 2:14-18)

"Breaking down the middle wall of separation" was a reference to the Gentiles now having access to the Spirit of God as opposed to being forbidden into the Inner court of the Temple in Jerusalem. As a result of the crucifixion and the outpouring at Pentecost, the Gentiles now has access to the Spirit of God as well, and both Jew and Gentile had been made one through the Spirit of God.
Thank you for the scriptural support.

Back