Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

When did my husband die?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Marykay46

I've read about the silver cord being cut but I'm wondering at what point my husband actually "died". Let me explain what I mean.

In October, 2023, my husband had a chest pain and I called 911. The paramedics arrived quickly, put leads on his chest, asked him his pain level (he told them 7) and he walked out to the ambulance. Within 2-3 minutes he was screaming and then he was silent. According to the paramedic's report, he went unconscious and pulseless. He was shocked and vitals restored. He was taken to the ER, where he was shocked 2 more times and put on life support. When I got there, I knew he wasn't "in there" anymore. I felt it. I knew he was already gone. He never regained consciousness and he was declared deceased later that evening after being shocked 2 more times.

My question is.....when he was in the ambulance and went unconscious and pulseless, is that when the silver cord was broken and he was in the presence with the Lord? If it was, how can vitals be restored and still be considered medically "alive"?

This has bothered me for 7 months now. Can anyone explain this to me?

I've read about the silver cord being cut but I'm wondering at what point my husband actually "died". Let me explain what I mean.

In October, 2023, my husband had a chest pain and I called 911. The paramedics arrived quickly, put leads on his chest, asked him his pain level (he told them 7) and he walked out to the ambulance. Within 2-3 minutes he was screaming and then he was silent. According to the paramedic's report, he went unconscious and pulseless. He was shocked and vitals restored. He was taken to the ER, where he was shocked 2 more times and put on life support. When I got there, I knew he wasn't "in there" anymore. I felt it. I knew he was already gone. He never regained consciousness and he was declared deceased later that evening after being shocked 2 more times.

My question is.....when he was in the ambulance and went unconscious and pulseless, is that when the silver cord was broken and he was in the presence with the Lord? If it was, how can vitals be restored and still be considered medically "alive"?

When the breath of life departs, the man will quickly die. If that breath can be restored, the man is alive. If that breath cannot be restored, the man is pronounced dead.

When the breath of life departs, the man will quickly die. If that breath can be restored, the man is alive. If that breath cannot be restored, the man is pronounced dead.
Thank you for your reply but it doesn't exactly answer my question...I don't think.

So, what you're saying is....even though he was pulseless for a couple minutes, he wasn't dead because they brought him back to life?? He did not have any brain activity because of lack of blood and oxygen to the brain but they kept his body "alive" artificially. So, you don't think the cord was cut at that time when he was pulseless, is that right?

Thank you for your reply but it doesn't exactly answer my question...I don't think.

So, what you're saying is....even though he was pulseless for a couple minutes, he wasn't dead because they brought him back to life?? He did not have any brain activity because of lack of blood and oxygen to the brain but they kept his body "alive" artificially. So, you don't think the cord was cut at that time when he was pulseless, is that right?
He is not dead until officially pronounced dead.
I don’t know the “cord” you are speaking of.

When it comes to the creation of man, Moses is the authority on the matter because he is the one who described it.
When it comes to the death of man, Moses is also the authority, because he explains how it happened and what happens to the man afterwards.
Some contradict what Moses taught. But I don’t.

Let me post the verses we need for "the silver cord " .

Ecclesiastes 12​
1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
2 While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:
3 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened,
4 And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;
5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
8 Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

I believe the following translations help eliminate any confusion. Man was formed from the dust of the earth, says Moses.

NET Bible
and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the life's breath returns to God who gave it.

New American Bible
And the dust returns to the earth as it once was, and the life breath returns to God who gave it.

New Revised Standard Version
and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the breath returns to God who gave it.

Contemporary English Version
So our bodies return to the earth, and the life-giving breath returns to God.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Then the dust [of mortals] goes back to the ground as it was before, and the breath of life goes back to God who gave it.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. But if your husband knew Christ as his Savior and Lord, your separation is only temporary.

I hope you understand that the "silver cord" is just a figure of speech, a metaphor, for death of the body. There is no actual "cord" that is cut.

The body is not the soul, as I suspect you understand. So, then, though the soul of a person is linked to the body via the brain, the soul is not dependent upon the brain for its existence, or capacities, or location (see: NDEs). Consequently, though a body (and brain) may be kept "alive" by technology, the blood being oxygenated and pumped through the body by machines, the soul isn't forced to remain in, or return to, the body, as a result. It is, then, very likely that your sense in the E.R. that your husband - that is, his soul - was gone to be with God, was correct. I certainly don't see any good reason to think otherwise.

Hi Marykay46 and sorry for the loss of your husband and pray God comforts your heart.

This is a very good question as it never comes up and it should. Here is what the scriptures say about the silver cord.

The silver cord in Ecclesiastes 12:6-7 is our life line to God as when this body dies and returns to the dust of the ground our spirit/breath returns back to God who gave us the breath of life that made us a living soul.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Here dust + breath/spirit from God = a living soul. When the flesh dies physically it returns back to the dust of the ground and our spirit is preserved with God for final judgment.

Ecc 12:7 then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

We return to the dust of the ground when this physical body dies and our breath/spirit returns to God as we wait for Gods final judgment when Christ returns.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. But if your husband knew Christ as his Savior and Lord, your separation is only temporary.

I hope you understand that the "silver cord" is just a figure of speech, a metaphor, for death of the body. There is no actual "cord" that is cut.

The body is not the soul, as I suspect you understand. So, then, though the soul of a person is linked to the body via the brain, the soul is not dependent upon the brain for its existence, or capacities, or location (see: NDEs). Consequently, though a body (and brain) may be kept "alive" by technology, the blood being oxygenated and pumped through the body by machines, the soul isn't forced to remain in, or return to, the body, as a result. It is, then, very likely that your sense in the E.R. that your husband - that is, his soul - was gone to be with God, was correct. I certainly don't see any good reason to think otherwise.
Thank you very much. This helped me a lot and I understand what you're saying. I believe he went to be with the Lord when he went unconscious and pulseless in the ambulance when it was still sitting in our driveway. They were there for at least 15 minutes before they left. There was no siren or flashing lights or racing down the street. I believe he was already gone and shocking him twice to "bring him back" was a moot action.

Hi Marykay46 and sorry for the loss of your husband and pray God comforts your heart.

This is a very good question as it never comes up and it should. Here is what the scriptures say about the silver cord.

The silver cord in Ecclesiastes 12:6-7 is our life line to God as when this body dies and returns to the dust of the ground our spirit/breath returns back to God who gave us the breath of life that made us a living soul.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Here dust + breath/spirit from God = a living soul. When the flesh dies physically it returns back to the dust of the ground and our spirit is preserved with God for final judgment.

Ecc 12:7 then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

We return to the dust of the ground when this physical body dies and our breath/spirit returns to God as we wait for Gods final judgment when Christ returns.
Thank you. Beautifully explained. See my comment to Tenchi :)

2Cor.5:
5 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.

6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

My mother died in 1982 of internal bleeding. I was about 8 years old. I saw her pass away. She was sitting on chair.

Yelled to my older brother to call ambulance. When they arrived 10 minutes later. She was non responsive.

She was declared dead at hospital.

Luke chapter 16.
Analogy by Jesus. There's Two sides of the gulf.
One side is paradise.
Wrong side of gulf is where the wicked and spirtualty dead are. This group is waiting for judgement day. They are judged by their works, documentation, revelation chapter 20.

Those who wont repent and reject sound doctrine, are in sheol.

I documented this.

My mother died in 1982 of internal bleeding. I was about 8 years old. I saw her pass away. She was sitting on chair.

Yelled to my older brother to call ambulance. When they arrived 10 minutes later. She was non responsive.

She was declared dead at hospital.

Luke chapter 16.
Analogy by Jesus. There's Two sides of the gulf.
One side is paradise.
Wrong side of gulf is where the wicked and spirtualty dead are. This group is waiting for judgement day. They are judged by their works, documentation, revelation chapter 20.

Those who wont repent and reject sound doctrine, are in sheol.

I documented this.
I'm not sure what your point is.

I have known people (like my step dad) who were unconscious and no pulse but were shocked back to life. In his case he lived another 12 years after the first time. (happened 2 more times) It was due to a lack of potassium in his system that caused cardiac arrest.

I am curious as to what difference it makes. It sounds like that all happened over the course of a few hours.

When it comes to the creation of man, Moses is the authority on the matter because he is the one who described it.
When it comes to the death of man, Moses is also the authority, because he explains how it happened and what happens to the man afterwards.
Some contradict what Moses taught. But I don’t.
Moses is not an authority of death: the Lord is

An interesting Q.

IMO we can die multiple times, and be revived multiple times minus one. The is a story in Jean Darnall’s Heaven Here I Come, of Jean’s prayer for her deceased mother to come back, being answered. Jhn.11 has another interesting story. The Greeks had one about a woman released from Death after Heraclēs had fought Death for her.

It may be that God, who see all things, does not summon us to him until we are beyond the revive stage, or perhaps that otherwise our postmortem time with him is at least sometimes forgotten. There are many stories of folk revived who at least seem to have begun the postmortem journey. But I can imagine someone saying that they were no longer married, since the one who had been their spouse had died, even though then revived (Rm.7:2—hardly Paul’s point!).

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back