Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When Satan demands to have you, that he might sift you like wheat

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Simon Magus is the perfect example of this.
I agree. More info on Simon:

ChatGPT
Simon Magus, often referred to as "Simon Magnus" (meaning Simon the Magician or Simon the Sorcerer), is a figure who appears in early Christian texts, most notably in the Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament. According to Acts 8:9-24, Simon Magus was a Samaritan from the city of Gitta, who practiced sorcery and had a considerable following in Samaria, claiming to be someone great. When Philip the Deacon preached in Samaria, Simon himself believed and was baptized. He later tried to buy the power to impart the Holy Spirit from the apostles Peter and John, leading to the term "simony" (the act of buying ecclesiastical positions, pardons, or emoluments), which is named after him.
Beyond the biblical account, Simon Magus is often discussed by early Church Fathers, who provide additional context and condemnatory viewpoints:
  1. Justin Martyr: Writing in the 2nd century, Justin, himself a Samaritan, describes Simon Magus as a source of heresy and claims that he traveled to Rome, where he was honored as a god. According to Justin, Simon's teachings had misled many people.
  2. Irenaeus of Lyons: In his work "Against Heresies," Irenaeus discusses Simon Magus at length, linking him to Gnostic beliefs. He accuses Simon of interpreting Scripture in a way that supported his views and asserts that he claimed to be the manifestation of God.
  3. Hippolytus of Rome: In "Refutation of All Heresies," Hippolytus provides one of the most detailed accounts of Simon's teachings and life, describing his system of thought and his claim to be the power of God. Hippolytus attributes a complex cosmology and theology to Simon, which appears influenced by Gnostic ideas.
  4. Eusebius of Caesarea: In his "Ecclesiastical History," Eusebius discusses Simon Magus, recounting the biblical story and adding details from other sources like Justin Martyr. He emphasizes Simon's negative influence and his reputation in Rome.
Simon Magus is considered by many early Christian writers not only as a historical figure but also as the archetypal heretic, embodying the dangers of mixing Christian beliefs with pagan or occult practices. His legacy is marked by his opposition to the apostles and his subsequent depiction as a father of heresies, particularly Gnosticism.

I was saved the moment I stopped having priests and paators intermediate for me before God for they can't. Only Christ can intercede for me infront of the father in the holy of holies.

I have a fellowship with Jesus thank you very much. Don't need the fellowship of priest and pastor. I hear the exhortations around me but I run the race following Christ not man.

Please read the whole thread to understand my position.
Can a man be saved without a priest?

I was saved the moment I stopped having priests and paators intermediate for me before God for they can't. Only Christ can intercede for me infront of the father in the holy of holies.

I have a fellowship with Jesus thank you very much. Don't need the fellowship of priest and pastor. I hear the exhortations around me but I run the race following Christ not man.

Did not christ ordain men to show us the way to salvation acts 16:17
Care for our souls Jn 21:17 heb 13:7-17

Christians must be taught or instructed, according to the sense which the perpetual consent of the Catholic Church hath held and expressed, as commanded by Christ! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:2

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Lk 10:16
Jn 20:21
Acts 16:17
Acts 8:31
Titus 1:9
Titus 2:12
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! “One faith” Eph 4:5 Thee faith once handed to the saints” Jude 1:3

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles! The apostles have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, so I send you!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
Jn 17:22 / rom 2:10 / 1 pet 1:7 Christ shares His glory with His saints!
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
Must hear church Matt 18:18
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles!
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!
1 Tim 3:15

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 Jn 15:1 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42

Fundamentalism drives a wedge between Christ and his church, separates Christ from His kingdom, and the authority of Christ from the new covenant!

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

Extends to the truth and the church

Cos Christ is the truth and His church teaches the truth without error! Jn 14:6 matt 28:19 matt 18:17 1 Tim 3:15 Jn 29:21-23 Jn 16:13

Christ and His church are one: Acts 9:4 mystical communion: eph 5:32

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

John 17:18
As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:8

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Christian rule of faith is not the Bible alone! But the doctrine of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Christians must be taught or instructed, according to the sense which the perpetual consent of the Catholic Church hath held and expressed, as commanded by Christ! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:2

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Lk 10:16
Jn 20:21
Acts 16:17
Acts 8:31
Titus 1:9
Titus 2:12
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! “One faith” Eph 4:5 Thee faith once handed to the saints” Jude 1:3
John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles! The apostles have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, so I send you!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
Jn 17:22 / rom 2:10 / 1 pet 1:7 Christ shares His glory with His saints!
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
Must hear church Matt 18:18
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles!
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 Jn 15:1 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42

Fundamentalism drives a wedge between Christ and his church, separates Christ from His kingdom, and the authority of Christ from the new covenant!

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

Extends to the truth and the church

Cos Christ is the truth and His church teaches the truth without error! Jn 14:6 matt 28:19 matt 18:17 1 Tim 3:15 Jn 29:21-23 Jn 16:13

Christ and His church are one: Acts 9:4 mystical communion: eph 5:32

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

John 17:18
As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:8

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Christian rule of faith is not the Bible alone! But the doctrine of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20
Please donadams spare me the long treatises. I respect your right to stake your claims though and if others find them useful in reading this thread so be it.

I have read all the NT thoroughly. Dont you find it strange that it's Peter the apostle to the circumsized that the Roman Catholic church consider their foundation? Shouldn't it be Paul instead?

Also I have read Matthew 16:18-19 too. I have long pondered upon it on my own not influenced by other men who proclaim the Catholic doctrine. What was revealed to me you might not like me stating so I shall stay silent from now on with you on this thread.

Feel free though to interact with others on this thread. Much blessings and love!

Please donadams spare me the long treatises. I respect your right to stake your claims though and if others find them useful in reading this thread so be it.

I have read all the NT thoroughly. Dont you find it strange that it's Peter the apostle to the circumsized that the Roman Catholic church consider their foundation? Shouldn't it be Paul instead?

Also I have read Matthew 16:18-19 too. I have long pondered upon it on my own not influenced by other men who proclaim the Catholic doctrine. What was revealed to me you might not like me stating so I shall stay silent from now on with you on this thread.

Feel free though to interact with others on this thread. Much blessings and love!
Re Peter apostle to the circumcised claimed as founder of Catholicism. I agree. It doesn't compute. Peter is on record of going to Babylon, which some say is Rome. But Babylon was the site of a large Jewish community.

Paul himself writes as though Rome already had an established church before he visited Rome:

7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,
10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.
11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established-- (Rom. 1:7-11 NKJ)

But that is not why I replied to you. You will find my exegesis of "Upon this Rock I will build my church" unique and I think, the only correct one out there. Its the only one that confirms our Greek Matthew is not a translation from Hebrew or Aramaic:

Re Peter apostle to the circumcised claimed as founder of Catholicism. I agree. It doesn't compute. Peter is on record of going to Babylon, which some say is Rome. But Babylon was the site of a large Jewish community.

Paul himself writes as though Rome already had an established church before he visited Rome:

7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,
10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.
11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established-- (Rom. 1:7-11 NKJ)

But that is not why I replied to you. You will find my exegesis of "Upon this Rock I will build my church" unique and I think, the only correct one out there. Its the only one that confirms our Greek Matthew is not a translation from Hebrew or Aramaic:

Thank you for the exegesis. I gladly read it. For the record, I only try to spare myself from long treatises when they go against John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

I base my knowledge of what Peter represents in Matthew 16:18-19 on his epistles, the location of the event and general NT knowledge. There are three things that stand out:
1. When Peter made the confession they were in Caesarea Philippi, overlooking mount Hermon a place of idol worship. What an amazing revelation happened to Peter precisely facing such an infamous spot!
2. 1 Peter 2:4-6 "As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”" Peter is a living stone (Peter), but not the cornerstone (this rock). Yet, he is the first in the time of Jesus' ministry to be revealed by the Father in heaven that Jesus is Christ, Son of the Living God.
3. Peter was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven, but NT is silent on how those keys are transmitted to future generations. If the NT is silent on how apostolic authority is transferred from Peter to future generations, I just leave it at that and do not make bold and unsubstantiated assertions that somehow through laying of hands from generation-to-generation apostolic authority reaches us to the present day.

Thank you again for your reply. I wish peace to all in this forum, but I have limited time at my disposal to invest spiritually and intellectually and following Christ's advice on Matthew 5:41 "And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles". Well after two miles I am done and go my way when interacting with certain people in this forum.

Thank you for the exegesis. I gladly read it. For the record, I only try to spare myself from long treatises when they go against John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

I base my knowledge of what Peter represents in Matthew 16:18-19 on his epistles, the location of the event and general NT knowledge. There are three things that stand out:
1. When Peter made the confession they were in Caesarea Philippi, overlooking mount Hermon a place of idol worship. What an amazing revelation happened to Peter precisely facing such an infamous spot!
2. 1 Peter 2:4-6 "As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”" Peter is a living stone (Peter), but not the cornerstone (this rock). Yet, he is the first in the time of Jesus' ministry to be revealed by the Father in heaven that Jesus is Christ, Son of the Living God.
3. Peter was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven, but NT is silent on how those keys are transmitted to future generations. If the NT is silent on how apostolic authority is transferred from Peter to future generations, I just leave it at that and do not make bold and unsubstantiated assertions that somehow through laying of hands from generation-to-generation apostolic authority reaches us to the present day.

Thank you again for your reply. I wish peace to all in this forum, but I have limited time at my disposal to invest spiritually and intellectually and following Christ's advice on Matthew 5:41 "And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles". Well after two miles I am done and go my way when interacting with certain people in this forum.
Excellent. Context and scripture interprets scripture. Something to consider that I point out in my exegesis, Peter is called a specific kind of rock, Aramaic Kepha which is a rock, when bored into gives forth water:

כֵּיף, כֵּיפָא … which rock (when bored) will give forth water… pearls, jewels … precious stones, jewelry- Jastrow, M. (1903). A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature and II (Vol. 1, pp. 634–635). London; New York: Luzac & Co.; G. P. Putnam’s Sons.

Jesus is The PETRA Rock (Ex. 17:6; Num. 20:10 LXX), when struck gave living water, so Peter having been hewn from the larger PETRA Rock, is a "life giving source of the Holy Spirit" on a small scale, a "living stone". Out of his heart flows living water (John 7:38).

Peter then transfers the honor Christ gave him, to the church, calling everyone who preaches the "keys of the kingdom" (keys open doors), living stones, a royal priesthood:

5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, "Behold, I lay in Zion A chief cornerstone, elect, precious, And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame." (1 Pet. 2:5-6 NKJ)

The keys of the Kingdom are the two truths, "Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God" and on that Rock of truth the church is built.

You should take the time to read my treatment. I support this interpretation using various lines of evidence, all of which confirm the accuracy of the "received text", the Byzantine Text used by the Church since the beginning.

Last edited:
Excellent. Context and scripture interprets scripture. Something to consider that I point out in my exegesis, Peter is called a specific kind of rock, Aramaic Kepha which is a rock, when bored into gives forth water:

כֵּיף, כֵּיפָא … which rock (when bored) will give forth water… pearls, jewels … precious stones, jewelry- Jastrow, M. (1903). A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature and II (Vol. 1, pp. 634–635). London; New York: Luzac & Co.; G. P. Putnam’s Sons.

Jesus is The PETRA Rock (Ex. 17:6; Num. 20:10 LXX), when struck gave living water, so Peter having been hewn from the larger PETRA Rock, is a "life giving source of the Holy Spirit" on a small scale, a "living stone". Out of his heart flows living water (John 7:38).

Peter then transfers the honor Christ gave him, to the church, calling everyone who preaches the "keys of the kingdom" (keys open doors), living stones, a royal priesthood:

5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, "Behold, I lay in Zion A chief cornerstone, elect, precious, And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame." (1 Pet. 2:5-6 NKJ)

The keys of the Kingdom are the two truths, "Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God" and on that Rock of truth the church is built.

You should take the time to read my treatment. I support this interpretation using various lines of evidence, all of which confirm the accuracy of the "received text", the Byzantine Text used by the Church since the beginning.
I read the exegesis, but I shall read it again more carefully to connect all the points.

By the way, I don't think I am digressing here and it's very relevant to the original post if I state that the Antichrist of end times shall be sifted like wheat. Satan shall desire to have him, and this Antichrist shall use the zeal of many to advance his nefarious ends - much zeal and little love as it stands. And I think you are onto something very interesting and true when you mention he is from Antioch - I think definitely the Antichrist has family roots from that area.

I read the exegesis, but I shall read it again more carefully to connect all the points.

By the way, I don't think I am digressing here and it's very relevant to the original post if I state that the Antichrist of end times shall be sifted like wheat. Satan shall desire to have him, and this Antichrist shall use the zeal of many to advance his nefarious ends - much zeal and little love as it stands. And I think you are onto something very interesting and true when you mention he is from Antioch - I think definitely the Antichrist has family roots from that area.
I must disagree. As the "man OF sin" the Antichrist springs from sin. Nothing was good in him, ever.

Its Christendom that will be sifted, so the chaff is blown away by the wind to be burned but the wheat gathered to God's storehouse for Christ's use.

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."
The apostles only! Jn 16:13
They are commanded by Christ to teach us! Matt 28:19

What good is knowing scripture without believing or obeying scripture?

Spiritual anarchy!

Back