Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When we die. PT 2

I believe...

• that when I die my soul “sleepsâ€? or remains unconscious until Christ comes again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
cyber,

When Jesus speaks about the punishment of gehenna, he is not talking about what happens after we die and go to Hades.

It is clear that when Jesus speaks of punishment for the wicked, He is talking about the lake of fire at the end of time, not instand rewards at death.

Mark 9 with the 'worm that does not die and the fire that does not quench' is a carbon copy of Isaiah 66 which is not describing Hades but the end of the ages and the final punishment of the wicked.

Matthew 13:40 says 'As the wheat is separated from the tares and the tares are cast into the fire, so shall it be at the end of time'

Without Luke 16, you have no support anywhere in the NT for anything you are saying as the other 10 uses of 'Hades' the NT do not support it that there is 'punishment of gehenna' there. Notice that according to traditional thought it is the 'disembodied souls' that are being punished but any reference to the Valley of Hinnom uses PHYSICAL BODIES.
So is it my 'soul' or my'body' that is punished in Hades? To make your theory jive with traditional thought you have to say that is my 'soul' that is punished in 'hell'. However, the Bbile doesn't support this. Even Luke 16 makes it clear that physical bodies are being spoken of here.

Hence, you cannot take Luke 16 as literal for one thing, or an expose on what the early Christians believed of the afterlife. Don't base your theology on Greek/Hellenistic fables when it contradicts the rest of scripture.

The punishment at the end of time is 'gehenna' and physical bodies are what is punished, not a disembodied soul separated from the body.

There is much confusion and contradiction by:

A) saying that man has an immortal soul that can be punished
B) Making gehenna and Hades the same thing where punishment occurs immediately after physical death

These are not biblical concepts but pagan Greek notions.

cybershark5886 said:
Yes, I know. Gehenna is in Sheol/Hades. It is part of it. And if we can take Jesus' parable of Lazarus to reflect real places in Sheol then Sheol is comprised of a good side, bad side (currently suffering - wishing to have a drop of water)) and the Chasm in between (Tartaros - presumably).

The Lake of fire is also a seperate part set apart for judgement on the last day. I do not believe this is Gehenna. But at any rate I do believe there is some suffering presently.

For the Jews understanding of Hades/Sheol look at this short discourse from Josephus concerning the matter: An Extract Out Of Josephus's Discourse To The Greeks Concerning Hades.
You are correct in your assessment. Many individuals are confused as to what Sheol/Hades and Gehenna really are. Sheol/Hades is the place of the physically dead, the conscious souls of the once alive on earth beings, and the place of the lowest pit created for the devil and his angels. The unfortunate part of this is that many who teach the lies of the devil twist the Scriptures to reflect their own interpretation apart from the interpretation of the Holy Spirit. Jesus was not teaching about the rich man and lazarus' physical bodies that died and were as a result in an imaginery place that does not exist. No. Instead Jesus was teaching about the place where the souls of those who had died and were buried go after living on earth.

Notice in verse 22 that the begger died and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom. What did the angels carry to Abraham's bosom? The begger's physical body? No. They carried the soul of the begger to Abraham's bosom. The only people that would have a problem with this are those that are teaching false doctrines and believe in the false teaching of annihilation. Notice also that the rich man dies and is buried in verse 22. In verse 23 the rich man lifts up his eyes in "hell". The word that is translated as "hell" is actually the word "Sheol" which entails more than the grave, tomb, or sepulchre. The rich man sees the place where the begger's soul is; in Abraham's bosom. Is the rich man's physical body in torment? No, his body is lifeless in the tomb, grave, or sepulchre. The rich man's soul is in torment. The only people that would have a problem with this are those that are teaching false doctrines and believe in the false teaching of annihilation.

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Luke 16:19-31

No where does Jesus speak of non-existant places, people, or things in his teachings and parables. None of Jesus' parables contain the actual names of individuals unless they are real people. Lazarus was a real person, and the rich man was a real person. The rich man had five brothers. Would it matter to Jesus' teaching whether the rich man had one, two, three or more brothers to get the point across? No. Why did Jesus tell of the five brothers in verse 28? Because the rich man actually had five brothers.

Well Solo, you're in a bit of a pickle then. One cannot base their entire theology on one section of scripture, especially one so full of parabolic information. The Bible must be supported and interpreted by itself and not preconceived Greek notion.

If you take away Luke 16 you take away the myriad of contradictions that Luke 16 creates. If you take away Luke 16, you have NO way to prove that 'gehenna' and 'tartaros' are in 'Hades'.

There is NO proof...nada...zip..support ANYWHERE in the Bible to support the concepts found in Luke 16 or what you and cyber are putting forth.

The Bible doesn't just stop there...it CLEARLY lays out death, the nature of man, and the difference between the grave and the punishment at the end of time.

What you are espousing is an amalgamation of all the different types of 'hell' wrongly translated into one word 'hell' in the English. This is midieval Catholic theology and not exegeticaly study of the word of God.

The Bible proves over and over that:

The dead are not alive in 'hell' (Psalms 146:5; Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10)

The punishment of the wicked occurs at the end of time and not at death (Matthew 13:40; 2 Peter 2:9)

The devil and his angels are not below the ground in some compartment of Hades, in a place of fiery punishment torturing sinners (1 Peter 5:8)

Everybody goes to Sheol/Hades when they die. They stay there and await resurrection (Job 14:10-14; John 5:28-29)

At the end of time, the wicked are resurrected and cast into gehenna fire (Revelation 20:5, 14-15; Matthew 13:40)

The righteous are resurrected to eternal life at the resurrection and not at our physical death (1 Corinthians 15; 2 Timothy 4:6-8; 1 Corinthians 5:1-7; Job 14:10-14)

Unfortunately, as pat and convenient it is to take Luke 16 as a contextual island and call it sound theology is ignoring the principles of biblical hermeneutics and to completely ignore what the parable was trying to teach.

Study the whole word, folks instead of one metaphorical passage.

guibox said:
Well Solo, you're in a bit of a pickle then. One cannot base their entire theology on one section of scripture, especially one so full of parabolic information. The Bible must be supported and interpreted by itself and not preconceived Greek notion.

If you take away Luke 16 you take away the myriad of contradictions that Luke 16 creates. If you take away Luke 16, you have NO way to prove that 'gehenna' and 'tartaros' are in 'Hades'.
Below is some more information concerning the place of Sheol/Hades and what it actually is. The Scriptures are plain that the soul and spirit reside in the physical body, and that after the body dies, the soul and spirit continue until the resurrection of the body and the judgment.

guibox said:
There is NO proof...nada...zip..support ANYWHERE in the Bible to support the concepts found in Luke 16 or what you and cyber are putting forth.
I find it interesting that one can ignore one of the most important teachings of the Lord in the explanation of what occurs after the body dies. Especially with such a profound explanation as Jesus gives us in Luke 16 concerning the end result of one who lives like the rich man, and one who lives like the beggar, being carried into paradise by the angels, or raising one's eyes in torment after the body dies. Only those who do not believe that the soul and body are two parts of the creation called man have a problem with this teaching.

guibox said:
The Bible doesn't just stop there...it CLEARLY lays out death, the nature of man, and the difference between the grave and the punishment at the end of time.

What you are espousing is an amalgamation of all the different types of 'hell' wrongly translated into one word 'hell' in the English. This is midieval Catholic theology and not exegeticaly study of the word of God.

The Bible proves over and over that:

The dead are not alive in 'hell' (Psalms 146:5; Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10)

The punishment of the wicked occurs at the end of time and not at death (Matthew 13:40; 2 Peter 2:9)

The devil and his angels are not below the ground in some compartment of Hades, in a place of fiery punishment torturing sinners (1 Peter 5:8)

Everybody goes to Sheol/Hades when they die. They stay there and await resurrection (Job 14:10-14; John 5:28-29)

At the end of time, the wicked are resurrected and cast into gehenna fire (Revelation 20:5, 14-15; Matthew 13:40)

The righteous are resurrected to eternal life at the resurrection and not at our physical death (1 Corinthians 15; 2 Timothy 4:6-8; 1 Corinthians 5:1-7; Job 14:10-14)

Unfortunately, as pat and convenient it is to take Luke 16 as a contextual island and call it sound theology is ignoring the principles of biblical hermeneutics and to completely ignore what the parable was trying to teach.

Study the whole word, folks instead of one metaphorical passage.
Once again the Scriptures are plain concerning the life, death, eternal life, and everlasting punishment. It would be very difficult for me to close my eyes to the teachings of Jesus Christ that mainstream Christianity has held onto these last 2000 years.

A previous post that I have posted at http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... eol#321893 lists all of the verses of Scripture that contain the Hebrew word Sheol. Please read the remaining information of this post after praying to the Lord for wisdom and understanding so that Jesus Christ may be glorified.

Sheol is confusingly translated as grave in some of the English translations even though it does not regulate itself solely to the resting place of the body. Sheol is never translated as tomb or sepulcher, therefore it must be understood that Sheol is more than a hole in the ground, or a cave where dead bodies are laid. As I have outlined in the post alluded to above, Sheol is translated 31 times as hell, 30 times as grave, and 3 times as pit in the King James Version but it is never translated as tomb or sepulcher.

Qabar is the Hebrew verb root of qeber and qeburah. It means “to bury†and occurs 132 times. Very significantly, the “soul†is never said to be buried, only the body.

Qeber, a masculine noun, occurs 70 times: 35 times “grave,†28 times “sepulcher,†7 times “burying-place,†but never as “Hell.†It is significant to note, that, while the KJV translators often translated Sheol as “grave,†they never translated qeber as “Hell.â€Â

Qeburah, a feminine noun, occurs 15 times: 5 times “grave,†5 times “sepulcher†and 5 times “burial,†but never as “Hell.†When combined, qabar, qeber, and qeburah occur 275 times. While often being translated as “grave,†they are never translated as “Hell/Sheol.†The only logical conclusion is that the translators recognized that Sheol means much more than the present use of “grave.â€Â

Bor occurs 75 times: 33 times “pit,†23 times “well,†14 times “dungeon,†4 times “cistern,†once “fountain,†but never as “Hell.†The “pit†contains tombs and also the upper and lower chambers of Sheol, bor parallels Sheol and death and contains graves and souls.

Shachat occurs 23 times: 12 times “pit,†4 times “corruption,†3 times “grave,†2 times “ditch†and 2 times “destruction.†It is a snare, or trap. The KJV never translates it as “tomb†or “sepulcher.†As “pit,†it includes the concept of Sheol (See Ps. 16:10 and Isaiah 38:17-18).

Abaddon occurs 6 times in the Old Testament as “destruction†and once in Revelation 9:11 as Abaddon, the angel of the bottomless pit. It is neither translated Sheol nor the grave.

Pachat occurs 11 times: 9 times “pit,†once “snare†and once “hole.†It is neither translated Sheol nor the grave.

Gadiysh occurs 4 times: it is a pile, heap or stack and is identical with qeber as “tomb†in Job 21:32. It probably refers to an above-ground sepulcher.

While Sheol is never translated as “tomb,†“sepulcher,†or “burying place,†qeber and qeburah are the commonly accepted words for “grave.â€Â

Since other very common words were in use for “grave†and “tomb,†Sheol must have been deliberately chosen through inspiration to indicate something other than the grave.

Since Sheol is never “tomb,†and qeber and qeburah are never Sheol or Hades/Hell, then Sheol should never be translated as “grave.â€Â

Scripture consistently states that the soul goes to Sheol or the pit at death, never to qeber or qeburah.

Old Testament translators concede that Sheol is the only word permissible for the Greek Hades.

What is Hades? While the KJV translated Sheol as “grave†in 31 of its 64 O. T. occurrences, the KJV only translated Hades as “grave†once in its 11 N.T. occurrences – yet Sheol and Hades are the same in Acts 2:27 and 2:31.
However, like Sheol, Hades is neither the “grave†nor the â€Åof fire.†The most fundamental error of those who teach conditional immortality is their mistranslation of Hades as “grave.â€Â

Hades occurs 10 times, and is always “Hell†in the KJV. Many versions clarify by using Hades instead of “Hell.â€Â

Gehenna is “Hell†of the “lake of fire†and occurs 22 times as “Hell.†Except for James 3:6, only Jesus used the word. It is the Hebrew word for “valley of Hinnon†transliterated into Greek.
In contrast to qeber and qeburah, which are often plural, Sheol is always a singular place name.

When I am absent from this body, I shall be present with the Lord. I will see the rest of you when you get there from where ever it is that you are going first. :-D

I've entertained the thought that "His coming" is when you die. There's no evidence that's the case since scripture points to a global, physical type of Second Coming. Yet, for those who do not witness the Second Coming from this side His appearance after we die would indeed fulfill our faith and hope. And if we do "sleep" until all is fulfilled then again we still witness His appearance to fulfill our faith and hope.

PotLuck said:
I've entertained the thought that "His coming" is when you die. There's no evidence that's the case since scripture points to a global, physical type of Second Coming. Yet, for those who do not witness the Second Coming from this side His appearance after we die would indeed fulfill our faith and hope. And if we do "sleep" until all is fulfilled then again we still witness His appearance to fulfill our faith and hope.
There is a coming for the body when we are resurrected and the body is changed to an immortal, incorruptible body just as the soul/spirit that was born of God at the moment of repentence and belief. The New body will be joined with the New Creature that went to dwell in paradise until Jesus returned. Taking the whole counsel of God gives us much information concerning the truth, as opposed to listening to false teachers play their game of lies and deceptions.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back