Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who Changed The Sabbath To Sunday?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
If the Catholic church does not observe the Sabbath, then why does the Catholic church teach that missing Sunday Mass or Holy Days of Obligation is a mortal sin? I've never been able to find in Scripture where it was a sin, especially a mortal sin, for Christians to miss attending Sunday worship services. The only reference that I can recall is in Hebrews 10:24-25 where the author encourages gathering but does not claim it is a command of God. It's definitely a good thing to do and should be encouraged greatly but a mortal sin?

Praying without ceasing, rejoicing always, giving thanks in all circumstances, and so forth are actually more like commands than attending church services. In fact, Jesus Himself tells us to pray in secret rather than to do so as a show for others.
I under what you are saying, but years ago I thought Sunday was fine until later I begin to do as He did following His example, and really finding more reasons to continue having a personal relationship with Him in keeping the Sabbath day holy. 1 Peter 2:21

The Catechism of the Council of Trent put is this way:
But, lest the people, aware of the abrogation of the Mosaic Law, may imagine that the precepts of the Decalogue are no longer obligatory, it should be taught that when God gave the Law to Moses, He did not so much establish a new code, as render more luminous that divine light by which the depraved morals and long continued perversity of man had at that time almost obscured. It is most certain that we are not bound to obey the Commandments because they were delivered by Moses, but because they are implanted in the hearts of all, and have been explained and confirmed by Christ our Lord.
Seventh day sabbath keeping is not a moral law.
Mungo, I appreciate your quote from the Council of Trent. It confirms what many scholars have know since, that the members of that council were delusional. Case in point:

In the last sentence they claim the commandments are not biding on anyone but Israel I assume, yet because they are implanted in the hearts of "ALL", and explained and confirmed by Christ, then they are applicable to everyone. And if that be the case, as was the practice of Christ and the early church "All" should be keeping the Sabbath. Why are you not on board?

and if they were, which there is no biblical proof to support such a claim, then the fourth commandment would be included.

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord... while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God."

Apparently the website you linked to is what should be the authority.
I love that verse . Puts an end to pettiness for those who are faithful.

Romans 14:The Law of Liberty
…4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One person regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes a special day does so to the Lord; he who eats does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.…

It's really not that complicated. If you want to get technical if you want Saturday as Sabbath or Sunday OR any day in 7 to rest, great! All sides can a claim a victory whichever side they fall on . LOL! Love seems to be hard on both sides to accomplish. The Condemnation when scripture is clear, it does not matter, crazy! All the rest is just pride and selfish ambition.

James 3:16
The Wisdom from Above
…15Such wisdom does not come from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every evil practice. 17But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peace-loving, gentle, accommodating, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and sincere.…

Titus 3:8
9But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, arguments, and quarrels about the law, because these things are pointless and worthless.…

God has settled it. Now who will fight against God? That will be a fruitless endeavor.

Mark 2:27 27Then Jesus declared, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”…

Pick a day to rest . Rest is good . Rebooting- we all need in this hectic world.
I'm having a glass of vino as we speak and bopping to some fun music while hanging out here! Great COMPANY too! :biggrin2
While everyone is bickering Stella got her groove back Lol! But really....aaaah, God help us save us. 🙏
👠got my dancing shoes on .....

Was the Sabbath ever changed? Most Christians set aside Sunday as a special day for worship and I think it was primarily due to commemorating Christ's rising from the dead, but I don't know of God ever changing the Sabbath day.

Yes, Sunday if referred to as the Lord's day; the day He rose from the dead.

Groan!
Why are we going through all this again? It's been gone over several times in this thread alone.

But if you want to continue - remember the title is "Who Changed The Sabbath To Sunday?"

The simple answer to that is - Nobody!

Back