Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who has the authority to teach the message of Jesus; why do you accept your Christian teacher as having such authority?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Canada

My question is phrased with an assumption, so preface it with the question "Does one need authority to teach the message of Jesus?" if you find it more applicable here. It's all the same topic.

Good question, based on

teach (v.)
Middle English tēchen, from Old English tæcan (past tense tæhte, past participle tæht) "to show (transitive), point out, declare; demonstrate," also "give instruction, train, assign, direct; warn; persuade."

I'd say no and that anyone can teach the good news, but isn't it more important to concern ourselves with learning?

To that end who has authority?

Scribes wrote and interpreted writings, when we learn from the bible we're pursuing that profession,

However authority is direct, Jesus did give His while absent

So we should all differentiate the two and ask, are we servants?

in Middle English "professed lover, one devoted to the service of a lady"

The Church is His Bride, a lady 😇

There are those who serve Her and there are sheep

Are we then servants with authority or sheep being tended by Her?

Is this not where our mortal minds confuse?

The greatest shall be the least.

My question is phrased with an assumption, so preface it with the question "Does one need authority to teach the message of Jesus?" if you find it more applicable here. It's all the same topic.
Hi Canada
Welcome to the forum !

Anyone can announce the message of the gospel.
We are sinners.
We need redemption.
Jesus died for this.
We should be His disciples.

Other than that, we need someone that has studied the bible to really understand it.
Some denominations still come up with differing theology, but at least it makes sense.

We get a lot of eisegesis here and some of it is not logical.
We cannot sit at home, read a book that takes years to understand, and think we can
create our own theology.

eisegesis

Brilliant term

I'm partial to the 1611 and in part perhaps due to its being public domain, no copy-write

By divine providence?

The monarchy originally licensed it as we're lead to assume, those documents were said to have burned.

Licensed due to effort to enforce its private interpretation?

If its authority we're discussing an entire religion was based on that act and its required oath

It also included an Oath of Supremacy, which required anyone taking public or church office to swear allegiance to the monarch as head of the Church and state. Individuals who refused to take the oath could be charged with treason and be put to death.

The severity of the penalties for refusing to take the oath had three different levels. For the first refusal, the offender suffered the loss of all moveable goods. A second offense could mean life in prison and the loss of all real estate. A third offense carried a charge of high treason and death.

The oath was eventually extended to include all members of Parliament and anyone earning a university degree.

And that act spurred by want of divorce, we read that equates to adultery

So the King, for the sake of adultery rebelled against the Pope

Crazy huh?

House Of Cards GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Reminder: This is the Questions and Answers (Q&A) forum. The rules of this forum require that members focus on answering the original poster's (OP) questions.

Our authority comes from God alone by the anointing of the Holy Spirit who teaches us all things after we are Spiritually born again and are then indwelled with the Holy Spirit, John 3:5-7; 14:26, Romans 10:9-10. That of what we are taught through that anointing of the Holy Spirit who teaches us all truths, not man's teachings, are what we take out to the world. There are many that say they are anointed, but we can see by the various teachings that are out there do not line up with scripture as many try and make scripture line up with their own teachings.

It can become very confusing with all the different teachings that are out there if one lacks Spiritual knowledge, but if you would just take the scriptures they give and read the full chapter and allow the Holy Spirit confirm that of what is being taught then you will see truth from error. No one knows everything that is contained in the Bible, but we need to study the Bible for our self so we are not deceived by the many false teachings that are out there. Keep searching and always ask questions of those things you do not understand.

2Timothy 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Canada
Jeremiah 31:34 kjv
34. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

The Holy Spirit can lead us into all truth,

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Hmmm... What do you mean by "authority"? What do you mean by "the message of Jesus"?

Why do I accept the teachers of God's truth that I do? Well, I accept fewer and fewer of them the deeper I go myself with God and the more my knowledge of His Truth enlarges. These days, in a teacher of God's Truth, I listen particularly for a clear description of their daily, intimate and transformative experience of God in the Person of the Holy Spirit. If I don't hear such a description, I become immediately....careful about what they teach. This description must fit well with what God's word says will be the Christian's experience of God. Also, if I don't observe the character of Christ clearly in one who claims to be a teacher of his truth, they are excluded from my interest.

There are Christians who are expert in biblical archaeology, or Christian apologetics, or Christian philosophy, or Church history, or Bible translation, and so on. They can tell you all about the discovery of the ancient Hittite nation, or rattle off the Kalam Cosmological Argument, or tie your brain in knots with fancy terms like modus ponens, modus tolens, argumentum ad populum and the law of excluded middle, or offer you all the minutiae of the study of ancient, extant manuscripts, and so on. But being expert in these fields of knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to being an "expert" in knowing and walking with God.

The late Ravi Zacharias is a good - but terrible - example. He was a well-known Christian apologist, author of several popular books, internationally-traveled speaker, and apparent champion of the Christian faith. But Ravi was also for many years a secret adulterer, engaging regularly in sexual encounters with women in foreign countries who were working at massage parlors that he owned. Though he spoke often of his salvation experience and held forth on things philosophical and theological, I can't ever recall hearing him speak at length about his own daily, transformative experience of God - which, given his awful and persistent sin, would have been nil. So, I listen carefully now for men like Ravi to describe their own personal, daily experience of God. If I never hear such a description, or what they describe doesn't comport well with God's word, I hold their teaching very lightly, remembering that knowing about things pertaining to God does not make one expert in what it is to know and walk well with Him throughout every day.

Your reminder appears as disdain for my focus, is it?

Focus itself envelopes stages of view, from field of view to point of view,
often a need for field of view must be initiated to justify point of view, context must be set.

Please show me how my effort to narrow in on the origination of the Church of England fails to focus on that question?

Let it be in that nature of fulfilling the question itself, i.e. lets have the discussion on authority as asked.

Well put, and if the knowledge of a forced oath is not known to the student, what then, worse yet, if its withheld from them, what then?

Also very well put, and what does the bible say about rejecting knowledge?

Ominous, no?

Most well put!

In this case we sum up "where does authority come from?"

I exhort a very unfavorable view, does the lack of favor mean my reply has no value, or, that its not understood and should be questioned?

I neither take nor offer any offense, only seek to learn and render what I've learned in exchange.

No, It's not disdain for your focus, Robert. The rules of this particular forum are that members are to interact with the OP (the person who asked the question) only, and not with one another. Debating other posts is allowed throughout the rest of the forum, but in Questions & Answers the goal is to keep the focus squarely on the person who wrote the OP to begin with, so as not to confuse them by engaging one another and diverging into other subject matter not related to what they were asking about.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

Does one need authority to teach the entire message of Jesus? Yes, because the entire message of Jesus includes the entirety of both the Old and New Testaments, and that's a lot of material. But now, if you are talking do they need authority to teach some of His message, that would require defining more specifically how much of the message you mean. If you mean simply quoting John 3:16, I don't think it would take a ton of qualifications beyond understanding the price Jesus paid for our sins.

Question: Do you mean moral, spiritual, or academic authority? To answer you properly, I'd need to know which were you asking about most specifically?

As Christians we have the holy spirit to help us walk in Jesus's authority. Like Paul who preached peacefully, unlike a false prophet such as, Muhammad who threatened and murdered people if they would not follow him even though his teachings lacked and had no substance and no significant answers. Just a cycle of trust him. There is no reasons to trust him. The material is a joke and not consistent God led us through by sending Jesus. Christians can learn to grow and be good Samaritans by the leading of the holy spirit and authorities to test the spirits if they are of God or not like false prophets. Also to be able to rebuke Satan and walk and abide in Jesus and follow his holy word from God. That we may able help others to Jesus and patently wait until for his return to stand before him on judgment day. We can't say, but Jesus I did this and this in your name, but for selfish narcissistic ways. Noone can manipulate God. All things done good and bad will come to light. If you abide in Jesus then you are saved, being saved and will be saved. Jesus is hope. He gave us free will to choose him back. Everyone starts out a child of God and predestined, but one can also reject Jesus and salvation. They eventually will not be love because God is holy love. Anyone who calls on the name of Jesus and means it is his. He wants us to know love and choose to love. He has set the standard of what we are supposed to do and not to do by his holy word. When we loose sight of God's standards we create our own because we have nothing to compare it to. That will not last. It is like saying love is love. That means nothing. It is vague. Some people believe it is okay for a 60 yr perv who wants to marry a two year old. It is not okay. Just like beastility is not ok. Without God the world is deprived. They won't receive God's blessing here and in heaven in his kingdom. They will be under his wrath. Noone knows when he will return and we saints dwell with him in a place of no suffering because he suffered and still does. He can come at anytime that is hiw urgent it is. In a blink of the eye. So it is crucial to be in right standing with him by abiding in him. Abide has 2 definitions I am talking about the positive one. When he comes that's that. People turning to evil will be consumed by evil until there is nothing but evil left in him or her and they will go to hell forever. Jesus came so we could have eternal life without suffering. He is holy love and perfect love. He is redeeming.

There is a natural order in our spiritual journey, like you crawl before you walk before you run. First you know ABOUT God and His role as the Creator of the universe through God's creation, you develop a correct monotheistic Christian worldview. This is very important, you must know that there is a Lord God first, we're not gods, the government is not god, AI technology is not god, planet earth is not god, God is above all of them.

The next step is to really know God - not just know ABOUT Him, but to really KNOW Him, and the one and only way to KNOW Him is through Jesus, his manifestation on earth. This goes beyond just head knowledge, to know Him requires you to partake in His body, which is the church, you gotta experience Him, build a relationship with Him. This is where you develop the other parts of your Christian worldview - sin, redemption and glorification.

Then comes the Holy Spirit, which will teach you to rightly discern the Bible and distinguish the real Jesus from fake Jesuses, the real gospel from fake gospels. In principle the church has authority to teach, but the church corrupts, there's always deception from Satan and division within the church body, it's the grim reality of apostasy, you can't take everything from the pulpit for granted. As long as you fervently seek the truth, the Holy Spirit will guide you to find the truth, He will use any source available to you, including secular sources, to teach you about the Bible and to give their testimonies of Jesus, them you shall listen.

Canada
Authority was given first to the Discipels to work wonders.

Later power was ginen to Sons and Daughters to fulfill the great commission.

Authority is an issue.
Power is an issue.

We just have to see which applies to what.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Canada
2 Corinthians 3:1 kjv
1. Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
3. Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

Mississippi redneck
eddif

1 Corinthians chapter 2. The holy spirit is needed. There are many self appointed preachers.
Matthew chapter 7:18. A good tree can't bear bad fruit and bad tree cant bear good fruit.

Its sound doctrine verses false doctrine.

Many pastors and priests teach tradition of men and false doctrine. Only few teachers or pastors teach sound doctrine.

Jeremiah chapter 1. Jeremiah was prophet, and chosen before foundation of the world. He was called and chosen. Jeremiah had the holy spirit.

Jeremiah chapter 23 . God didn't send the false preachers. They don't have holy spirit.

Those who have holy spirit are true servants of God.

Back